RadGuy

So, How's Your 2019 Shortlist Looking?

10 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

LOL never looked at your list till just now......now this is funny.  Well done GUN.  That last fact alone = QO certainty

Grim's list!!!!

That's the last time I throw in a gag for you! :(:lol:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, msc said:

Grim's list!!!!

That's the last time I throw in a gag for you! :(:lol:

They need a foot in mouth emoji, though my avatar is close lol.  Many apologies, no amount of which are adequate.

Just started a Google Doc called "DDP Comeback Longlist". If DQSP was a gunslinger, there'd be a lot of dead copycats...

• Like 1

On 17/12/2018 at 16:28, Phantom of the Midway said:

One off-forum young'un had a social media update recently that I took to make them be a lock, but upon doing research on some medical things, it turned out that update wasn't nearly as serious as I had originally assumed!

Also decided against picking an oldie who's very likely to die, mainly because of a few technicalities.

Well....so I've finally and sadly come to the realization that the very first name I put on paper this year, and put 5 stars next to as my sleeper possibly unique and absolutely my Joker -- is not as ill as suspected.  At least not enough to warrant such honours and expectations.  PofM I suspect we may have had the same person.  Even if we didn't I am no longer even considering this person for 2019, and I'm back to the drawing board with 5 days to go.
Young Miss Jordan Dawes (18)..... you and your FB posting make me sad.  But ok, I DO hope you are well.  But stroking out with liver cancer at 18 isn't necessarily a sign of longevity.  Your story went viral and surely you have plenty of $$ donations to get whatever medical attention will get you through 2019.
In any case, let's get her name out there in case someone else planned on a solo hit.

SC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Well....so I've finally and sadly come to the realization that the very first name I put on paper this year, and put 5 stars next to as my sleeper possibly unique and absolutely my Joker -- is not as ill as suspected.  At least not enough to warrant such honours and expectations.  PofM I suspect we may have had the same person.  Even if we didn't I am no longer even considering this person for 2019, and I'm back to the drawing board with 5 days to go.
Young Miss Jordan Dawes (18)..... you and your FB posting make me sad.  But ok, I DO hope you are well.  But stroking out with liver cancer at 18 isn't necessarily a sign of longevity.  Your story went viral and surely you have plenty of $$ donations to get whatever medical attention will get you through 2019.
In any case, let's get her name out there in case someone else planned on a solo hit.

SC

Yes, yes, I admit it was her. I did drop her from my shortlist about a week or two ago.

She was a hell of a rollercoaster for me: when I first saw in November that she had a stroke and was then diagnosed with liver cancer, I assumed it was a complication of the cancer spreading and that it was clearly very advanced. But thanks to WebMD's highly professional tips, I found out that a stroke can actually occur in the very early stages. Couple weeks later, mid-December, I see a social media update that tumors have spread to her lymph nodes. What with me being totally stoopid when it comes to medical knowledge, I assumed this was metastasis and that she was in stage IV. But again, thanks to WebMD or some other site, I learned that cancer spreading to lymph nodes isn't nearly as severe as spreading to bones, lungs, etc. and puts her at stage II or III.

So, yeah, Miss Dawes will be a prime pick. For 2021. If that.

• Like 1

Shortlist is at 30 now. Two very big question marks still on it. One is someone who we are waiting to see scan results on to see whether they are a good pick or not for 2019. The other is someone who I heard that there cancer may be worse than reported according to social media rumblings, though I’m not really sure if I can go off a pick solely by that. The last ten cuts are going to be the hardest for me, ngl...

DDP Teams fired off now.  (Deathray's Kervorkian Clinic, Cobbles to a Coffin and Shot in the Dark - [the other idea got shunted for another year])

Hartleypool fired off now.

DL Prediction 2019 fired off now.

Hares Team already in

Deathrace team alreay in

Death by Numbers Team in.

Done for another year I think.

After being tested to the wire on Alt Obits this year (22 rejected names!), I've finally finished submitting to that pool. Which leaves the following 4 pools remaining for me to enter:

DL Prediction Game

Deathrace

Death By Numbers

and of course the Derby Dead Pool

• Like 2

Started researching a couple of days ago, and finally sent in my DDP 2019 team just now. I'd say around half of the names are fairly popular deadpool picks, while the rest are more obscure (but not FFBI, never picked those). For example, 7 of the names are out-of-the-forum discoveries, and I'm hoping that at least one of them will give me a unique hit. 6 years of deadpooling, and still waiting for my first one...:(

Well today's going to have to be the day we finalize a short list, I expect 35 names when all's said.  I am going to have to kowtow to pressure of putting no less than 4 expected D40 types if I expect to compete, and that's garbage but rules is rules.  At least the QO were expanded a wee bit.  But rewarding extreme commonality on par with extreme uniqueness is absurd.  It just is.  So now I'm scratching off a name I discovered using my extreme talent (lol) and putting Tim fucking Conway, cuz I have to.  

So still have to submit Deathrace / DDP Main / DBNumbers if I'm bothering / Shawn's if I'm bothering / 
Haven't seen a post opening up alt obits but I presume it's running so maybe throw a pile of different names at that.  But that's DL Cup material and I haven't time or wherewithal to start exposing a bunch of Cup potential names, so I probably will pass. 
SC

Edit - AO DP sent.  Still those listed above.  maybe do DBN today, no way in hell I turn in DDP or Deathrace before 12/31

Edit2 - DBN sent.  Leaves DDP main and Deathrace, both of which are going to be late in the day 12/31.  

Mine's looking like it's got a Ruth Strauss hole in it as of 12 minutes ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Mine's looking like it's got a Ruth Strauss hole in it as of 12 minutes ago.

Me as well. Submitted my team ages ago, every freaking year I get at least one faller.

Well, I guess I'm not giving anything away, Ruth's place is taken by....Olivia Newton-John!

30 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Well today's going to have to be the day we finalize a short list, I expect 35 names when all's said.  I am going to have to kowtow to pressure of putting no less than 4 expected D40 types if I expect to compete, and that's garbage but rules is rules.  At least the QO were expanded a wee bit.  But rewarding extreme commonality on par with extreme uniqueness is absurd.  It just is.  So now I'm scratching off a name I discovered using my extreme talent (lol) and putting Tim fucking Conway, cuz I have to.  

So still have to submit Deathrace / DDP Main / DBNumbers if I'm bothering / Shawn's if I'm bothering / 
Haven't seen a post opening up alt obits but I presume it's running so maybe throw a pile of different names at that.  But that's DL Cup material and I haven't time or wherewithal to start exposing a bunch of Cup potential names, so I probably will pass. 
SC

Alt Obits rule page

It's very much a "they need to be famous" so think your notable American politicos (not the Oregon guy with cancer, too low level apparently), NFL stars and so on.

I've probably half a dozen locks in my head, unlike normal nowt written down, and I don't play the general pools on here or the DDP so it doesn't matter.

Will spend a drunken Sunday finalising a team for P&B and hope to do well as normal, despite the amount of cuntos from there that are on here now :D

Have entered Alt, Hares, By Numbers, DDP (Two general and one theme team), deathrace and submitted for list to the crowdsource and prediction game.

Don't think they is anything more for me to do (unless some of my entries for ALT get rejected).

2 hours ago, msc said:

Alt Obits rule page

It's very much a "they need to be famous" so think your notable American politicos (not the Oregon guy with cancer, too low level apparently), NFL stars and so on.

I'll add that, considering Sir Creep's worries, Alt Obits keeps who picked whom secret until a pick dies. You can publicly reveal your team after the submission deadline but that onus is completely up to you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Death Impends said:

I'll add that, considering Sir Creep's worries, Alt Obits keeps who picked whom secret until a pick dies. You can publicly reveal your team after the submission deadline but that onus is completely up to you.

Interesting, I had no idea.  Anyway, team in.  And in a sense, it was a 'short list' in progress for DDP.  Not sure about the 'real name' thingy either.  Suffice, they got some kinda name.  Ajeet Al-Mansour....what I shoulda sent.

20 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Interesting, I had no idea.  Anyway, team in.  And in a sense, it was a 'short list' in progress for DDP.  Not sure about the 'real name' thingy either.  Suffice, they got some kinda name.  Ajeet Al-Mansour....what I shoulda sent.

Asumedly just a double check to ensure you aren't the same person from multi emails. A rather ineffective check but can't see what other purpose it would have.

After Timerman’s death I am struggling to find a replacement for him right now, not because there aren’t any great names left on the shortlist (there are), but more because I don’t know which one is going to be the right one...

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

but more because I don’t know which one is going to be the right one...

CorruptAgileIsabellinewheatear-size_rest

• Haha 2

As usual, there are a pile of names of people everyone is on top of and I have never heard of in my life.  Welcome Mr. Timerman.  Good riddance too, clear the deck of my unknowns please.

On 17/11/2018 at 10:12, Joey Russ said:

So while I was doing some research today for next year’s DDP, I noticed that someone who will probably be on many DDP teams next year is doing extremely well at the moment so I’ve given them less thought now. Will probably look them up again in December just in case their case gets worse though...

Norm Coleman

On 02/12/2018 at 19:26, Joey Russ said:

That feeling when someone you cut from your short list a while back gets put back on the short list after some new developments were found in deep research that weren’t reported by any news sources...

George Alagiah, though I realized that he takes Twitter hiatuses regularly, so he went off my team a bit later

On 25/12/2018 at 14:52, Joey Russ said:

You know it’s a pisser when you find an extremely fascinating name that is probably going to die next year but is at an age where picking to many of them may not be the best strategy, and you already got some plans in that department...

Edmund Capon - though I did end up picking him in my main team in the end

On 27/12/2018 at 11:17, Joey Russ said:

Shortlist is at 30 now. Two very big question marks still on it. One is someone who we are waiting to see scan results on to see whether they are a good pick or not for 2019. The other is someone who I heard that there cancer may be worse than reported according to social media rumblings, though I’m not really sure if I can go off a pick solely by that. The last ten cuts are going to be the hardest for me, ngl...

First one is John Andretti, who became my first sub. Second one is Bruce Anstey, who I couldn’t rely on by a forum post on here alone (although I do have a feeling it’s worse than reported)

Ruth Strauss and June Whitfield dying in 2018 was a kick in the balls. One for each ball in fact.

Nevertheless, my teams are probably the strongest I've ever picked. And I'll probably not make the top 100 now...ha!

• Like 1

"probable Drop 40er who isn't as ill as he's dramatized to be, both in the press and on the forum" = Bill Turnbull

"Also dropped someone who is almost a dead-cert and will be on several contending teams, but probably won't muster the obit." = Thuy Thanh Truong

"The main one I'm dabbling with now is a bloke who I think understated his life expectancy." = Doddie Weir

"And I was quite surprised to find out that two names of the same nationality, who were practically locks, have a couple more years left in them if statistics are to be believed. However, I expect at least one of them to make my team anyway, because a lot of the current locks won't make the starting line!" = Gary Bigeni and Barry du Bois... and yes, du Bois did end up getting subbed in after Skovgaard's death.

"off forum young'un" = Jordan Dawes, as I already mentioned

"oldie cert to die, dropped due to technicality" = Pat Bowlen. Dropped him because I was already playing him in my NFL theme team and wanted to use more names.

"pussied out of" = Michael Murphy, I think he died off the radar in 2018 and would be a dud pick like Raymond Hewlett and Leo Sharp, a potential fraud too anyway

And my last minute switcheroo was Stirling Moss and Jill Gascoine swapped out in favor of Samu Anoa'i and Lee Kerslake.

But that wasn't even the last of my team changes!

I think that covers all my hints.

Bruce Antsey's cancer was reported glowingly since mid Dec so why you're suggesting it was 'worse' on Dec 27 is beyond me @Joey Russ.  Sounds like you wanted to talk yourself into rostering him.  He's a terrible pick whoever has him (And with that I just signed his death warrant).  Either that or he's a skinny arse liar and I wish him well in Hades.  
Never heard of Capon, but yes you don't want more than one or two 80 year olds who arent certain of death before Easter.  And if you can squeak a solo pick out of it then that helps.

On 01/01/2019 at 08:46, YoungWillz said:

Ruth Strauss and June Whitfield dying in 2018 was a kick in the balls. One for each ball in fact.

Nevertheless, my teams are probably the strongest I've ever picked. And I'll probably not make the top 100 now...ha!

You have a very good team, imo.  A little too good when you snared Pauline Hunt but alls fair, it's a calculated risk I took.  Guess we both get to see how that pick goes.  Best of luck Y-Dub.