Sign in to follow this  
Grim Reaper

John Kenneth Galbraith

Guest Guest

Galbraith is the major keynesean economist of his generation. The death of Galbraith will a great loss for the world academic of the America.

Galbraith is the major keynesean economist of his generation. The death of Galbraith will a great loss for the world academic of the America.

But a gain for the great Banshees Scream. B)

Galbraith is the major keynesean economist of his generation. The death of  Galbraith will a great loss for the world academic of the America.

But a gain for the great Banshees Scream. :)

A gain it would be,, since this does not seem to be a good year for deathlisters 90 and above.

Guest Phil

JK Galbraith, when Ambassador to India in the sixties, was the recipient of possibly the rudest telegram ever sent out by the State Department (under Dean Rusk). It went along the lines of "Insofar as your opinion has any merit, it has been noted and rejected".

JK Galbraith, when Ambassador to India in the sixties, was the recipient of possibly the rudest telegram ever sent out by the State Department (under Dean Rusk). It went along the lines of "Insofar as your opinion has any merit, it has been noted and rejected".

Excellent. I'm sure I can use that. :wub:

Galbraith is the major keynesean economist of his generation. The death of  Galbraith will a great loss for the world academic of the America.

But a gain for the great Banshees Scream. :skull:

A gain it would be,, since this does not seem to be a good year for deathlisters 90 and above.

Like it ever was sister. ;)

Renowned economist John Kenneth Galbraith has died at age 97. He was on last year's deathlist.

Here is the BBC link.

Renowned economist John Kenneth Galbraith has died at age 97. He was on last year's deathlist.

Here is the BBC link.

When I arrived home slightly drunk, I was dismayed at the loss, but then was brightened at the fact that at least DL would have an April hit.

Then I learned the sad truth. Not on my list, not on DL's list, just another exemplary Canadian gone to the ages. :banghead:

Guest iain

he was on the list last year..why did you take him off you fools?! :banghead:

What a miss....Like Ronnie Rosenthal with the goal at his mercy....

Like leaving out Rooney.

Funnily enough Banshees told me we needed a big death.

Given his prediction fell on deaf ears, I suppose this is big enough...

now thiswould rightly belong in the near misses thread, except JKG already has his own.

A collective "D'oh!" from the selection committee, although please bear in mind one of the rules of the DL is there must be at least 25 new names each year. 12 died in 2005, so 13 others had to be removed from the '06 list. Galbraith was one of 'em.

This death comes in the form of six points for our very own Captain Oates and Banshees Scream(who uses the pseudonym 'JD') in my dead pool. And not to mention our first strike of the year.

Sad news indeed.

Not only since the deathlist missed him but for the fact that the world needs deep thinkers, and it looks like JKG was a giant in this estimable field.

As an aside he is my 5th hit out of 10 picks in the Rotten.com deadpool. That puts me in 17th place (with 4 months to go on my account) but because the listing is in earlist picked first then if it were in latest picked first that would put me in 2nd place out of 20,000 odd contestants. He also naturally appears in just about all my deadpool lists so that's a major gain for me all round.

Guest iain
Sad news indeed.

Not only since the deathlist missed him but for the fact that the world needs deep thinkers, and it looks like JKG was a giant in this estimable field.

As an aside he is my 5th hit out of 10 picks in the Rotten.com deadpool. That puts me in 17th place (with 4 months to go on my account) but because the listing is in earlist picked first then if it were in latest picked first that would put me in 2nd place out of 20,000 odd contestants. He also naturally appears in just about all my deadpool lists so that's a major gain for me all round.

Its never sad when a 97 year old dies! Theyre just bloody lucky they had that long on the earth!

I suppose we can forget about a hit for the month of april now :banghead:

Guest iain
Galbraith's death, when it comes, will be a great loss to the academic and economic communities. Nothing less than a giant in his profession, John Kenneth Galbraith, with his Keynesian principles and influence on public policy during the mid-20th century, was perhaps the most influential economist of the 20th century.

that may well be the case,but as far as I can see his obituaries on tv are notable only by their absence!

Galbraith's death, when it comes, will be a great loss to the academic and economic communities. Nothing less than a giant in his profession, John Kenneth Galbraith, with his Keynesian principles and influence on public policy during the mid-20th century, was perhaps the most influential economist of the 20th century.

that may well be the case,but as far as I can see his obituaries on tv are notable only by their absence!

Perhaps you should tune into something other that the Disney Channel, iain. :banghead:

It was odd that someone of the stature of Galbraith didn't get a TV obit on the BBC. It just shows the level of dumbing down these days, coupled with the youth of the news producers.

FAMOUS GALBRAITH QUOTES

"Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists"

"It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled sea of thought"

"Under capitalism man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite"

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error"

:banghead::lol: A man with a firm grip on reality!

The above is quoted from the BBC analysis of JKG.

A real shame, this miss on our part.

However, it seems to me that this marks an end to the dearth of death. Even though he wasn't technically on the list, he has been in the past and probably would have been in the future. Plus, he did make the rounds deadpool-wise. So I think his death counts, in principle at least. :banghead:

Renoweed Gconomist John Kenneth Galbraith has died at age 97. He was on last year's deathlist.

Here is the BBC link.

I'm..Bitterly..angry..over..John Kenneth Galbraith ..=..Bad..JudGement]