Joey Russ

Who Should Be On The 2019 Deathlist?

I would expect to see Sonny Rollins, Don King and Silvio Berlusconi for next year. 

1 hour ago, dean1991 said:

I would expect to see Sonny Rollins, Don King and Silvio Berlusconi for next year. 

Berlusconi famous for his "berlusconneries" (Bullshit from Berlusconi in French)

Former Italian President Giorgio Napolitano, 93, and current President of Tunisia Beji Caid Essebsi (born in 1926) should be on the 2019 deathlist . Current President of Italy Sergio Mattarella is 77. 

1 hour ago, dean1991 said:

Forgot that Sonny Rollins was still alive!

There are so many good choices out there.

Actually there are far more good choices than there ever will be room on the DeathList for them.

So what it boils down to is the choice between the best picks (most likely to die) and most famous (but not quite as likely to die) and it's the second group that seem to take precedence on the DeathList.

Everything I'm saying here I already said, but I still felt like saying it again!

Another thing that the DeathList should do is change "50 celebrities" to "50 famous people" on the main page.

I have a hard time trying to realistically imagine calling Javier Perez de Cuellar a celebrity

• Like 2

Some thoughts :

i definately agree that Gorbachev should be on next year - he's really the last of the world leaders left alive from the end of the Cold War and is one of the most important political figures of the late 20th century.

Ian Holm should be on - very well known film/character actor who has been in some of the most influential films of the last 40 years such as Alien and recent blockbusters like LOTR and a cameo in The Hobbit.  Also well known for films like Chariots of Fire and ALOT of TV work.

i haven't seen Shirley Williams name mentioned but she is 89 next year and was one of the 'legendary' Gang of Four that broke off from The Labour Party and founded the SDP in 1981.

I would also like to see the possible inclusion of Eric Chappell who will be 86 next year.  One of the last comedy writing greats of the 1970s who wrote Rising Damp, Only When I Laugh and, of course, Duty Free.  The committee didn't listen to me regarding Ray Galton who would have been another hit for them this year so please take note!

James  Lovelock will be 100.  Famous scientist who proposed the Gaia hypothesis - could replace Steven Hawking?

Barbara Shelley of Hammer Horror fame will be 87 and is the last of the real Hammer stars left alive.

Philip Latham who, with Shelley above, is one of the last surviving actors from old Hammer films. Had a prolific career - Dr Who, etc. Will be 90 in January.

Tony Britton - veteran character/ comedy actor known for comedies like Don't Wait Up, Robins Nest and in films like Day Of The Jackal will be 95.  Also known as Fern Britton's dad.

agree with adding Joss Ackland as another well known actor who will be 91 - last acted in 2014 as well.

i think sadly next year may be another 2011 regarding Dr Who and loss of favourite actors.  Maybe Tom Baker and William Russell (who will be 95) are worth considering.  Maybe Terence Dicks as well - he'll be 84 in April.

Geoffrey Palmer definately - very 'deathlisty' and 92 so getting on and had a huge and varied career.

i would keep Honor Blackman on the list - don't agree with others to take her off. 

Bill Wyman should replace Ronnie Wood

More later in the week.....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RolandDeschain said:

Some thoughts :

i definately agree that Gorbachev should be on next year - he's really the last of the world leaders left alive from the end of the Cold War and is one of the most important political figures of the late 20th century.

Ian Holm should be on - very well known film/character actor who has been in some of the most influential films of the last 40 years such as Alien and recent blockbusters like LOTR and a cameo in The Hobbit.  Also well known for films like Chariots of Fire and ALOT of TV work.

i haven't seen Shirley Williams name mentioned but she is 89 next year and was one of the 'legendary' Gang of Four that broke off from The Labour Party and founded the SDP in 1981.

I would also like to see the possible inclusion of Eric Chappell who will be 86 next year.  One of the last comedy writing greats of the 1970s who wrote Rising Damp, Only When I Laugh and, of course, Duty Free.  The committee didn't listen to me regarding Ray Galton who would have been another hit for them this year so please take note!

James  Lovelock will be 100.  Famous scientist who proposed the Gaia hypothesis - could replace Steven Hawking?

Barbara Shelley of Hammer Horror fame will be 87 and is the last of the real Hammer stars left alive.

Philip Latham who, with Shelley above, is one of the last surviving actors from old Hammer films. Had a prolific career - Dr Who, etc. Will be 90 in January.

Tony Britton - veteran character/ comedy actor known for comedies like Don't Wait Up, Robins Nest and in films like Day Of The Jackal will be 95.  Also known as Fern Britton's dad.

agree with adding Joss Ackland as another well known actor who will be 91 - last acted in 2014 as well.

i think sadly next year may be another 2011 regarding Dr Who and loss of favourite actors.  Maybe Tom Baker and William Russell (who will be 95) are worth considering.  Maybe Terence Dicks as well - he'll be 84 in April.

Geoffrey Palmer definately - very 'deathlisty' and 92 so getting on and had a huge and varied career.

i would keep Honor Blackman on the list - don't agree with others to take her off. 

Bill Wyman should replace Ronnie Wood

More later in the week.....

Nice list

I pesonnally hope he lives for many more year but how about Don Shula, has had a few health scares recently.  He is 88 years old

Another one from the Dolphins perfect season (almost 100% he isnt suitable for the DL, but maybe somebody can use him in another deadpool) Nick Buoniconti, he is 77 and his health has been progressivley failing for over a year

5 hours ago, Weebl said:

Another thing that the DeathList should do is change "50 celebrities" to "50 famous people" on the main page.

I have a hard time trying to realistically imagine calling Javier Perez de Cuellar a celebrity

The man who taught Eric Clapton how to play guitar,Ric Flair how to wrestle and Meryl Streep how to Act is not a celebrity?

• Like 6

Harry Belafonte, 50s music survivor, 92 next year, yet to make his Deathlist debut, committee take note.

• Like 2

I would definitely urge the committee to  be brave like they were this year and keep the Queen of the list .Once she does return she will become undroppable because of her status yet at the same time she stands a strong chance of seeing 100 plus like her mother so once she returns she will be taking up a space on the list potentially for years. too many undroppables reduces the committees room for manoeuvre and their 'creativity'.  So the timing of her return has to be done carefully and I do not see 2019 being her year especially given her general physical stamina. Resist those calling for The Queen's premature return!

Names I think the committee should strongly consider

Loretta Lynn,

87 next year and had a  number of serious health issues in past 2 years.Has not to best of my knowledge been able to perform musically despite her previous intention to do so sometime this year.Has kept herself to limited media appearances such as her kid gloves friendly televised chat with one of George Bush Seniors granddaughters.

Julie Goodyear ,     this Coronation Street icon and legend has been a chain smoker for decades and is nearing her late seventies.In one of her last tv appearances on a quiz gameshow she had to be carried and helped onto the set.

Barbara Windsor ,    Clearly ailing fast as a result of dementia and now heart problems

Soap matriarch Emmerdale star Sheila Mercier who turns 100 on new years day .Her age and obvious status makes her a must pick imo as you cannot take too much for granted at that age.

Veteran motor racing commentator Murray Walker who is 96 next year and will have no problem at all receiving a qualifying obituary.

Clarissa Eden ,widow of former Prime Minister Anthony Eden and will turn 99 next year. I think after the foolish miss of open goal 101 year old Mary Wilson this year that picking Clarissa Eden is a must .This is a british website after all so if we can have American first ladies ,as we should , then we should have the british  'version' even though their roles are different the is a valid comparision up to a point.

Speaking of American first ladies I think the committee should choose Rosalynn Cater who is in her nineties and has had surgery for something or another in recent years .If she were left of the list and died I think she would be the first US first lady the committee had ever missed?

Other names worthy of consideration and exploration for the committee in my opinion are

Sidney Poitier - A Hollywood icon known to be in frail health and too ill to travel

Kenny Rogers ,  Rosamunde Pilcher , Baby Peggy , Imelda Marcos and Peter Sutcliffe.

• Like 1

Bader Ginsburg deserves a place on next year's list.Has now had 3 types of cancer 3 times and has a history of falls.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Bader Ginsburg deserves a place on next year's list.Has now had 3 types of cancer 3 times and has a history of falls.

Logically you are correct but I fear the possible wider implications of her death for the future of America so I am retreating into superstition and deciding not to use her name or advocate it for fear of jinxing matters!

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Logically you are correct but I fear the possible wider implications of her death for the future of America so I am retreating into superstition and deciding not to use her name or advocate it for fear of jinxing matters!

She is clearly a tough resilient lady.She does have heart issues as well though and at nearly 86 all these issues must add up sooner or later.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

She is clearly a tough resilient lady.She does have heart issues as well though and at nearly 86 all these issues must add up sooner or later.

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

I am just hoping on two things that arguably depending on how you read it mat be a bit of a stretch but far from implausible or impossible.The democrats get their s**t together by 2020 and put forward a Presidential candidate who can win and secondly that dogged resilence and guardian angels enable Ruth Bader Ginsburg to hold on to 2021 if Trump is a one term President. I will not give up hope but nor am I full of optimism either!

My top 50 considerations for next year:

1)George Alagiah 

2)Bill Turnbull

3)Martin Peters 

4)Gerd Muller

5)Stan Bowles

6) Barbara Windsor

7) Douglas Hurd

8) Sandra Day O'connor

9)Ruth Bader Ginsburg

10)John Paul Stevens 

11)George P Schultz 

12)Walter Mondale 

13)Clarrisa Eden 

14)June Lockheart 

15) June Whitfield

16)Harry Reid

17) Billy McNeil 

18)Stevie Chalmers 

19) Peter Bonetti 

20)Peter Swan 

21)Jack Charlton 

22) Malcolm Hebden

23)Daniella Westbrook 

24) Sheila Mercier 

25)June Spencer 

26) James Lovelock 

27)Diana Athill

28)Eileen Derbyshire 

29) Paul Flynn 

30)King Salman

31)Vanessa Redgrave 

32)Alberto Fujimori 

33)Freddie Jones 

34)Doreen Mantle

35)Barbara Walters

36)Hugh Downs

37)Zizi Jeanmaire

38)Gloria Vanderbilt

39)Norman Tebbitt

40) Imelda Marcos

41)Betty Boothroyd

42) Terry Jones

43)Billy Connelly

44)Paula Tilbrook

45) Freddie Starr

46)Gunther von Hagens

47)Shane MacGowan  

48) Doddle Weir 

49) Irrfan Khan

50)Fernando Ricksen

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I am just hoping on two things that arguably depending on how you read it mat be a bit of a stretch but far from implausible or impossible.The democrats get their s**t together by 2020 and put forward a Presidential candidate who can win and secondly that dogged resilence and guardian angels enable Ruth Bader Ginsburg to hold on to 2021 if Trump is a one term President. I will not give up hope but nor am I full of optimism either!

Trump has around a 75% chance of a 2nd term being the incumbent. That goes to 95% if the economy keeps doing well.

5 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Trump has around a 75% chance of a 2nd term being the incumbent. That goes to 95% if the economy keeps doing well.

Well we shall see I think all I can say as we are living in unusual political times were normal rules may not apply .By some normal understanding of US politics Trump was never going to be elected so I just see the situation as very uncertain and unpredictable in either direction .

Ginsburg has to be one of the very few people out there where your political slant affects how you see her viability as a dead pool pick!

More left-wing poolers: "It was caught early, she'll recover fully"

More right-wing poolers: "She's 85 and this is her third cancer bout, I don't think she can handle much more"

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Ginsburg has to be one of the very few people out there where your political slant affects how you see her viability as a dead pool pick!

More left-wing poolers: "It was caught early, she'll recover fully"

More right-wing poolers: "She's 85 and this is her third cancer bout, I don't think she can handle much more"

I don't for a minute deny my searching for hope position is reflective of my political 'bias' !!:D

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sean said:

39)Norman Tebbitt

That's Uncle Norman Tebbit to you! :lol:

Just as well I've submitted most of my entries for various pools, else you'd accuse me of nicking some from your list! But they are mostly in.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

@Sean Is that Peter Swan the footballer or Peter Swan the businessman and owner of Scunthorpe FC ?

The former England footballer jailed in a betting scandal 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, the_engineer said:

He just lost the last "adult" amongst his senior advisory team - let's see what that does to his decision making and ratings

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sean said:

1)George Alagiah 

2)Bill Turnbull

3)Martin Peters 

4)Gerd Muller

5)Stan Bowles

6) Barbara Windsor

7) Douglas Hurd

8) Sandra Day O'connor

9)Ruth Bader Ginsburg