gcreptile

Death By Numbers 2019

10 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Yes, I used the wiki DoB. Ah, now I remember there was an issue. What's your suggestion?

Oh well if you used the Wiki DoB, then it should have come to 157: Finney (36) + Channing (21) + Day (22) + Jean, Grand Duke (21) + Donen (24) + Conway (33) = 157.

And now with Wouk (15), the score should now be 172.

Quick update to correct for a small Doris Day mistake:

New hits: Quentin Pongia, Herman Wouk

Bobby Joe Maxwell is a non-obit, almost certainly. No changes in the other non-obits.

Also, I forgot to mention another non-obit that happened a couple of weeks ago: Bishop Francis Quinn.

That's a ton of non-obits...

DDT has both good news (Pongia moves him into 4th) and bad news (Donbavand non-obit) - new scoreboard:

1 Death Impends 769
2 GCReptile 725
3 Cpt Chorizo 678
4 Devon Death Trip 672
5 Phantom of the Midway 657
6 msc 623
7 Banana 621
8 Joey Russ 620
9 Clorox Bleachman 610
10 drol 571
11 Sir Creep 511
12 Skinny Kiltrunner 482
13 Grim Up North 367
14 YoungWillz 297
15 Yorkshire Banker 230
16 Prophet 186
17 markb4 172
18 theoldlady 134
18 Gooseberry Crumble 134
20 Book 129
21 The mad hatter 117
21 Fixed Business 117
23 John Key 108
24 Deathray 95
25 The old crem 93
26 Pedro 67 90
27 Grave Danger 85
28 The Unknown Man 48
29 The Quim Reaper 33
30 Bibliogryphon 0

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

He did! So everyone now has points. Update next weekend.

• Like 1

Norman Dewis a hit for me. Nailed on Obit I would have thought.

Update time!

I was glad to see that we kind of hit every "old person death" that we got in the past 3-4 weeks - well, except for Prem Tinsunalonda, as far as I can tell.

Paul Darrow, Thad Cochran, Judith Kerr, Bart Starr, Claus Van Bülow.

Plus belated obits for Tommy Donbavand and Mary Stopes-Roe.

The former puts DDT at 2nd place. And I was disappointed to find out that I hadn't picked him - but well, there you see my december research that made me pick him for the B-team, but not here, as this team was assembled on December 1st.

Mary Stopes-Roe gives Pedro a welcome hit, but he also has two more people now waiting for obits: Robin Herd and Norman Dewis. They should get them, in my opinion. And in terms of number of hits, Pedro will be quite up there.

I also added Bob Hawke's points for Skinny Kiltrunner. That eluded me the last time.

And as I have to leave the computer soon, there might be an omission here and there. If you notice mistakes, tell me.

1 Death Impends 769
2 Devon Death Trip 739
3 GCReptile 725
4 Phantom of the Midway 694
5 Cpt Chorizo 678
6 Clorox Bleachman 651
7 msc 623
8 Banana 621
9 Joey Russ 620
10 drol 571
11 Skinny Kiltrunner 511
11 Sir Creep 511
13 Grim Up North 434
14 YoungWillz 297
15 Yorkshire Banker 230
16 Prophet 186
17 The mad hatter 177
18 markb4 172
19 Gooseberry Crumble 157
20 Fixed Business 151
21 Grave Danger 145
22 theoldlady 134
23 Book 129
24 Pedro 67 117
25 John Key 108
26 Deathray 95
27 The old crem 93
28 The Unknown Man 48
29 Bibliogryphon 41
30 The Quim Reaper 33

Again, the reminder: Replacement period is soon!

• Like 6

Small Update:

New hits: Gabriele Grunewald (massive points for Cpt Chorizo and GuN!), Pat Bowlen and Franco Zeffirelli.

Plus, a belated obit for Norman Dewis for Pedro.

Also, I forgot to give points to Book and Clorox for Niki Lauda, AND points to Deathray for Herman Wouk - which is corrected now. Sorry, sometimes it's just too much for me to handle manually. I think I can improve the Excel table there, to make the hits count automatically, maybe next year (ahem....) ... but for now, I still find these mistakes myself, eventually.

Rank Team name Points
1 Death Impends 769
2 Cpt Chorizo 764
3 Devon Death Trip 739
4 Phantom of the Midway 738
5 GCReptile 725
6 Clorox Bleachman 700
7 msc 623
8 Banana 621
9 Joey Russ 620
10 drol 571
11 Grim Up North 520
12 Skinny Kiltrunner 511
12 Sir Creep 511
14 YoungWillz 297
15 Yorkshire Banker 230
16 Prophet 209
17 Book 178
18 The mad hatter 177
19 markb4 172
20 Gooseberry Crumble 157
21 Fixed Business 151
22 Grave Danger 145
23 Pedro 67 137
24 theoldlady 134
25 Deathray 110
26 John Key 108
27 The old crem 93
28 The Unknown Man 48
29 Bibliogryphon 41
30 The Quim Reaper 33

As you can see, it's getting crowded up there. Chorizo just 5 pts behind DI, Phantom of the Midway (formerly known as RadGuy) just one point behind DDT.

The real reason for the update - here are the rules for the substitution period - copy/pasted from last year.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On the day of June 30th, from 00:00GMT to 23:59GMT, you can exchange up to 5 names from your team for different names. 

You don't have to do 5, you can do 4, 3, 2, 1, or even make no changes at all. It is up to you. But 5 is the maximum. Your changes must be posted in this thread - not thru PM - in the 24 hour period stated above. Your changes will "go live" at 00:00 GMT July 1st.

Now, for the specifics. You can not transfer out a name that died (why would you want to anyway?). You can not transfer out a name that didn't get an obit. They're stuck on your team forever. *evil laugh*

You also can not change your joker for a different joker. Whoever you picked at the beginning of the year will be your joker for the next 6 months as well.

So, to answer GUN's question - I've decided you can't "lose" your joker either, as in transfer them out and continue in the game without a joker. 

Basically, no joker changes at all.

If you transfered somebody out, and it is later announced that they died in June or earlier, you don't get points even if they were technically still on your team at the time of their death. What matters is that they weren't on your team anymore at the time of their death announcement.

I want all of you to provide 1 substitute when you make your post with the transfers, because if you transfer somebody in, and they are announced within 48 hours of your transfers being posted (so sometime on July 2nd GMT) to have died in June or earlier, they will be replaced on your team with your substitute. However, if it takes more than 48 hours after the posting of your transfers for their death to be announced, they will stay on your team and no substitutions will be made. You'll just not get any points.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, post here on June 30th. I am not sure if there will be another update before that.

• Like 1

I won't be making any changes as usual gcreptile. I'm just that kind of a guy.

• Like 3

I also will keep what I have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Small Update:

New hits: Gabriele Grunewald (massive points for Cpt Chorizo and GuN!), Pat Bowlen and Franco Zeffirelli.

Plus, a belated obit for Norman Dewis for Pedro.

Also, I forgot to give points to Book and Clorox for Niki Lauda, AND points to Deathray for Herman Wouk - which is corrected now. Sorry, sometimes it's just too much for me to handle manually. I think I can improve the Excel table there, to make the hits count automatically, maybe next year (ahem....) ... but for now, I still find these mistakes myself, eventually.

If you want, I could guide you through the process I do for the deadpools I host. I have a mechanism that automatically detects if someone is dead or alive based on a masterlist (which is where the "killings" take place), and it assigns points based on that.

2 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

If you want, I could guide you through the process I do for the deadpools I host. I have a mechanism that automatically detects if someone is dead or alive based on a masterlist (which is where the "killings" take place), and it assigns points based on that.

Thank you, I can do it, too, though. I would use my longlist as the masterlist, and use the cell [year of birth] - 1900 as the score.

Only problem is, that my longlist itself hasn't been quite up to date. Doing some work on it today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

a masterlist (which is where the "killings" take place)

:lol:

Okay, here's a quick update.

Mainly to remind you of the substitution period on July 1st.

Post up to 5 replacements here in this thread on July 1st, UK time zone.

If your replacement dies on July 1st, they only count if you posted here before their time of death.

If your replacement died before, even if it was only found to be the case after, they don't count.

If it is unclear whether they died before you placed them into your team, I will tend towards being lenient.

Fame requirements are the same as half a year ago: I allow any name if it is more than just a sob story.

Terminally ill fan who gets into the news because of his illness = no.

Terminally ill fan who was a household name before his illness = yes

Terminally ill fan who gets into the news, founds a cancer awareness charity, becomes an MBE, changes laws, plays a role in society, etc... = yes

By the way... any "Oldest person of/in XYZ" is allowed. Not much harm done, I suppose. But sometimes, 5 points is better than 0.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so since last update we only had three hits: Helen Legh, Beth Chapman and Maria Robucci (MASSIVE 3 points to Pedro!).

So the half-time standings is this:

1 GCReptile 866
2 Death Impends 843
3 Cpt Chorizo 831
4 Clorox Bleachman 767
5 Devon Death Trip 739
6 Phantom of the Midway 738
7 msc 690
8 Banana 688
9 Joey Russ 687
10 drol 638
11 Grim Up North 587
12 Skinny Kiltrunner 578
12 Sir Creep 578
14 YoungWillz 297
15 Book 245
16 Yorkshire Banker 230
17 Prophet 209
18 The mad hatter 177
19 John Key 175
20 markb4 172
21 Gooseberry Crumble 157
22 Fixed Business 151
23 Grave Danger 145
24 Pedro 67 140
25 theoldlady 134
26 The Unknown Man 115
27 Deathray 110
28 The old crem 93
29 Bibliogryphon 41
30 The Quim Reaper 33

I scored with both Legh and Chapman and get the lead. And with me not using the replacements - I think it was good while it lasted!

DI missed the Chapman hit, but among his close competitors only Cpt Chorizo had her.

• Like 7

Sent in my subs by PM. I didn't see your last post, GC, saying to post to thread until it was sent. Sorry about that, feel free to paste it into the thread if need be.

3 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Sent in my subs by PM. I didn't see your last post, GC, saying to post to thread until it was sent. Sorry about that, feel free to paste it into the thread if need be.

Thank you!

However, same rules for everyone - so they need to be posted here. As an exception, I can do it on July 1st myself. I don't know yet when exactly during the day I get the chance to do it - just saying it could be in the evening in the worst case. So there might be a slight risk involved, in the case of one of your subs dying early on the 1st. You can still do it yourself, of course, if you want to eliminate that risk.

Transfer day is July 1st, your old picks count until then, even if you notified me before.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Thank you!

However, same rules for everyone - so they need to be posted here. As an exception, I can do it on July 1st myself. I don't know yet when exactly during the day I get the chance to do it - just saying it could be in the evening in the worst case. So there might be a slight risk involved, in the case of one of your subs dying early on the 1st. You can still do it yourself, of course, if you want to eliminate that risk.

Transfer day is July 1st, your old picks count until then, even if you notified me before.

Here they are then:

Please add: Randy Romero, Holly Clegg, Tom Long, Michael Sleggs, and Ivan Milat. Subs for these folks if needed are Chng Seok Tin and Beji Essebsi. 

@gcreptile do we also have to say the 5 names the substitution names are suppossed to replace? Like if I should choose Randy Romero, do I need to say he replaces Bob Dole for example? Thanks!

3 hours ago, theoldlady said:

@gcreptile do we also have to say the 5 names the substitution names are suppossed to replace? Like if I should choose Randy Romero, do I need to say he replaces Bob Dole for example? Thanks!

Yes, please!

@Skinny kiltrunner Okay, I read your names. It's still wrong though, because it's supposed to happen on July 1st. And yes, the names to be replaced are missing. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Here they are then:

Please add: Randy Romero, Holly Clegg, Tom Long, Michael Sleggs, and Ivan Milat. Subs for these folks if needed are Chng Seok Tin and Beji Essebsi. 

Sorry, I thought July 1 was the deadline, not the absolute day of reckoning. For completeness,  then, here is the full copy of the PM I sent you:

Hello GC.  Here are my changes  for DBN.  

Please remove: anita Doth, Anita Cochrane, Julie Strain, Richard Parsons and Sonali Bendri.

Thank you for this.

Skinny Kiltrunner 

REPLACEMENTS?  lord.....

OK so I just looked and like 1/3 of my team names crossed off, all at the top of the alphabet.  Confusing, not to mention inaccurate.
SC