I've been asked to bring this back by one of the forum statesmen...

Ok, so with 2018  nearly history, how do you rate your success (or lack of) in the various deadpools you took part in?

Hartlepool Deadlypool - Haven't a clue. Think doing OK, number of hits. None as good as that ER woman though. B-

Hare's Pool - 16/25 died, however most of them died in January which is as useful in the Hares as a chocolate teapot. Only took 3 days of 2018 for jokering Rayya Ellias to look rather foolish. B-

Deathrace - Finished before I'd even noticed it'd started. Mostly because I won with some right dodgy picks. :lol: A+

Death by Numbers - Pretty much been third all year, unable to get by DI or Reptile.  B+

Alt Obits - Secnd time in, likely top ten finish. Could have gone worse. Completely overestimated the fame threshold, given some of those getting QO for it!  B

Scavenger Hunt - It's still ongoing. Need to be in it to win it, eh?

Biblio's Movie Game - See above.

DL Cup - Made Round 2, still underperformed due to being host. Was allegedly tetchy...   (No Rating)

DDP

1. Pan Breed - Much better than last year but not picking Falkholt or worse Francis has been killer. Still within 1 hit of the lead on 7th Dec - yeah, that's my unique Mr Piddington on a Christmas Day bonus, but you know, factually accurate... B+

2. Here's Who You Could Have Won - A rag tag bunch of obscure programmers, musicians and the like which has done well above expectations to finish with 60+ points. C+

3. And Yet You Had Space for Sinead O'Connor - Just a daft bit of theme team fun. Got 3 success from 20 names (Ditko just in the name of time!).  B-

Right over to you lot. Grade yerselfs, or no...

• Like 2

I'll respond a little later in the month.

For some reason, I have 9, 24 and 27 December ringing in my head. Might be advent madness, mind....:D

• Haha 1

I'm not stupid, I don't swim in the ponds with the Big Fish.

I do awrite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'll respond a little later in the month.

For some reason, I have 9, 24 and 27 December ringing in my head. Might be advent madness, mind....:D

Did alright in the Cup, mind.

21 minutes ago, charon said:

I'm not stupid, I don't swim in the ponds with the Big Fish.

I do awrite.

Did alright in the Cup, mind.

25 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Only really do the DDP. At present, I'm 201st equal. :lol:

Did alright in th...oh.  Always someone letting the flow go... :D

• Haha 2

2018 was my first calendar year of competitive deadpooling. It's been interesting, to say the least!

Shadow List - All my names were genuinely famous. My proudest hit was Mitzi Shore. I was up to 15 hits by early June, but I made the mistake of having 100 names instead of 50. An even bigger mistake was writing down these names on paper. Paper which was destroyed in a thunderstorm. F

Windy City - For a team which was thrown together the day after I joined, it's doing well. The names near the top have actually died, except for Brackers (*guttural sounds*). With 5 months left, I fear my team has little potential. C+

Maryport's Midsummer Madness - Bishop Francis Quinn is still alive, but he's a much more interesting pick than winner Irene Jones. D+

DL Poker Tournament - My best ranking at the moment. Despite no obscure names my team is doing very well. Would be in an even better position had Giuseppina Projetto obitted. A-

ABC Deadpool - I made some good solo choices, but would be scoring higher if I had thought more carefully about bonuses. B-

30/30 - Well there are certainly a few dud names and a non-obit (Lindy Remigino), and I can think of much better names to fill the slots in hindsight. All in all, it's not so bad. B-

40/40 - The moment I sent in my team, my 41st name Niki Lauda made me regret my choices, however he is still alive and Aretha Franklin is not. C-

Inverse Survivors - I have consistently made risky choices and given myself heart palpitations, but they have paid off. For example, choosing Devin Lima only a short time before his death. A+

Deaths of the Silver Screen - No deaths so far. My picks are celebrating their 88th, 93rd and 102nd birthdays this month but they all look like utter shite. Not to mention that JLT has cancer of the everything. I'm not so sure they will even reach their birthdays. A-

Oldest Living State Leaders - There is confusion surrounding Daniel arap Moi's illness, but he has to be a hit for me eventually. C+

Advent Avalanche - So what, I didn't win (who'd have thought it would be Banana?) but my pick Anna Thornton isn't out of the woods yet. B+

Predicted Derby Dead Pool grades for 2019:

Top Secret DDP Main Team - B+
Top Secret DDP B-Team - B-
Top Secret DDP Theme Team I - A-
Top Secret DDP Theme Team II - D-

• Like 1

I don't do that many pools, but when I do, it's largely a painful experience. Still, no pain(sley), no gain(sley).

Deathrace 2018: Fucking shit. Of my 20 picks, 16 are still alive. Scored shit all whilst the competition was going on. Even now, my running total is 684. My dog could've done better with a series of barks as a fucking entry. F

Windy City: Fucking shit. Last standings update, I was in 17th place, though I got 140 points with GHWB since then. I know. Only 140. I put a big name that low. So far, so bad. D

Shadow List: Fucking shit.  Loads of dry patches during the year, and names that, by rights, should be long gone by now. And two names I dropped from last year's list have died. But it's not all bad; I've equalled last year's total of 13, and beaten the DL by a grand total of 1. B

Deaths Of The Silver Screen: Fucking shit. No one has died so far. But then, it's a long game, not many people's picks have bore fruit so far, and I've still a shred of confidence. Nothing much to report on. C

Oldest Living State Leaders: Fucking shit. That being said, I've only participated in three rounds so far. My picks are still breathing. I have Le Duc Anh at the moment. As drol will testify, that fucker isn't gonna die. The choice of a moron. D

Advent Avalanche: Fucking shit. I set aside a name, and missed the start, like a first class tool. Wouldn't have won it anyway; the competition only lasted about 30 seconds, owing to a blinding shout by Banana. U

Five4Three2One: Fucking shit for a lot of the year in this, my personal favourite pool. Luckily, I got a blinding start, and a couple of dribs & drabs of luck. Mediocre position in the standings. B-

Inverse Survivor Pool: Fucking shit...would be an unfair summary. I'm still hit-free. And, looking at my record of picking who's gonna die, I'm clearly good at picking people who'll live a while, so I'm confident to a degree. A-

Edited by The Quim Reaper
Re-evaluation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

DDP - A pretty disastrous year all round for me and struggling to get it together to be competitive next time around.   Gutted my run of unique picks is over.  I suppose I should retire gracefully, but I'll be back in 2019 because I want to preserve my overall points and hits records for a while longer. 

Deathlist Cup - I won.

HPDP - I've got one hit, pretty happy with that tbh.  Worried about the absence of Rotten Ali though...

• Like 1

Hm.

Deathrace: Had two hits in total during the game, but sod's law occured when the avalanche of hits happened right after the game ended. Only 12 out of the 20 died so far, thanks partly in picking a joker dud. C+

Hare's Pool: Not doing as well as last year, mid-table obscurity it is. D

Hartlepool: I really am not doing well in this one at all. With 0 hits, I think I need to improve my craft here. F

Death By Numbers: Meh, am in the top ten, but really had a lot of bad picks there. Still, there's always next year. B-

Alt Obits: Ngl, am disappointed that Gerard Tierney jumped ahead of me with that birthday hit. Still, likely top five in my very first year of trying is pretty good. B+

DL Cup: Improved from my performance last year. Made it to round 3, and was able to beat Grim in my rematch against him (even if it was only due to a coin flip). Never really stood a chance against Sir Creep though. A-

DDP Teams:

Day In The Death: Made an improvement from last year, even if there were still a few things that I needed to learn, like to give up on unnatural gambles and don't let the forum pushing a bad name convince you to pick a bad pick. Despite that, I'm pretty happy with how I'm doing. A

The Whipping Posts: My performance here is underwhelming. While I had no intention of this team beating my main one, I still expected more than 1 hit/7 points. D-

Peace, Drugs, and Death: Once again, my theme team has a score of 0. I really suck at theme teams. :D F

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I suppose I should retire gracefully

I think I speak for everyone here when I say The Living End retiring will be dark, dark day in DDP history.

Glad to hear it's not imminent.

• Like 5

I've only done Windy City and Advent Avalanche. Lost AA and only have 3 hits in WC, but that's more than I thought I would have, lol!

I'm intending for 2019 to be the first calendar year when I have my official personal Shadowlist of 50.

• Like 4

DDP: Shite start that ultimately cost me - but Laura Barry and David Shutts saved me from embarrassment and rebounded me enough to the point where I had a few months at the top and still may make the podium. B+

DDP B Team: 8 hits, 5/6 of my uniques died. Likes of Lietzke and Nuriddin being cast away to here show I underestimate unique chances nowadays though. B

DDP Space Theme: 4 hits (+ 1 List of the Lost-er) including the joker and the only unique. B-

Hartlepool: A mystery... though probably mid table since I had two early-year deaths in the bottom 2 spots

DBN: Best pool performance of the year for me in terms of team quality. Caught up to a seemingly insurmountable Reptile and am now in the lead. Even if he takes the lead back (which can be done with any one of his survivors dying) it's a result I can be proud of. A+

Deathrace: Only one hit, 15/20 dead now but a lot of them were later in the year. D

Hare's: Peaked a bit too early. A lot of hits midyear, crickets since. C+

Cup: Massive drop from my 2017 performance. KOed in March during the rematch with Heef - but would have won against most others that round, so sod's luck of the draw. D

Windy City: My luck with mid year 2018 pools seems to get a lot better compared to beginning/early-year pools. In the lead, good chance it holds. A

Poker: Haven't struck any juicy bonuses to the extent I did in 2017, but still have the lead for now. A-

• Like 1

DDP

To Kill A Gabor Sister - So far I'm in 9th place, improving on last year's =11th, but that could change. Hopefully I remain in the top 10 at least. I was hoping to contend for the crown, but not much to complain about, really. B+

Slavic Folk Theme - 18 survivors, 2 List of the Losters, makes 0 hits. Fucking amazing. :lol: Not surprised ancient Bulgarian monk did not obit, but Barys Kit got fuckin robbed, man! F

US Politics Theme - 4 hits: Senator Akaka, Johnnie-boy McCain, and both Bushes. Decent showing. A-

Other pools started in January

Deathrace - Was hoping for a win, but I ended up in joint third, so came close enough. However, I missed a lot of names I knew would die early in the year when creating my team, such as Bobby Zarin. B-

Hartlepool - Not sure since Ali's been disappeared. Half my team is dead and mostly names at the top, so should be pretty good. Only problem is Marieke Vervoort was my #1. You cunts said she'd be dead by mid-January! :lol: B

Hare's - I think I'm near the bottom, might have made it to midtable with some recent hits on Lima and Bush. D+

Pools from later in the year

DL Cup - Made it to the March round, and although my team was the second best performing of the month, I still lost! My opponent was the best of the month, Dead Cow. Luck of the draw... *grumble* C

Windy City - Retired from hosting so wanted to pull an OoO DDP 2010. My team is doing well so far, but no way I can fucking catch DI! B-

Poker Tourney - A'like Winday Citay, doing aight, but can't fucking catch up to that god DI! B-

ABC Pool - Midway through it, I'm in the lead. Hopefully this continues. A+

I'm a first-year transfer student, and I grade myself on a curve:

2018 The Hare Death Pool List
Grade B

ABC DeadPool II
Grade C-

Alt Obituaries

Grade B. My school-age kid currently ranks higher, but I have more hits.

Death by Numbers:
Grade C-

Deaths of the Silver Screen
Grade IP (in progress)

Derby Deadpool
Grade C

DL Poker Tournament
Grade C

Inverse Dead Pool:
Grade B-

Jokers Dead Pool:

Grade A

DL Cup 2018: A+

I had some rare success on the DL site prior to the ‘18 Cup. So I never knew if I was actually any good at this DL stuff.  I’m very serious about that.  I admired many of the names in that competition....was pretty sure I was just filler like a 16 seed.

Then Rev Billy Graham died and all that changed.  I really started clicking with 9 more hits Mar-May.  Suddenly my researching acumen was justified (reaching the Cup Finals in June).  I now know I can hang with the biggest names at DL.  In fact, I am one.  Confidence is sexy.

DDP: 

(Cancel My Appointments): B-

I don't expect to ever get top 10.  However, had I received **my two missing QOs I'd be in the top 25 and that is about where I belong.  Presently 57th (73 pts) with only 5 QO hits, so we are the most ‘efficient’ fucking team if nothing else.

(Gris Gris): C+

Theme team that’s just for fun, no intention to succeed on merits.  I guess two hits is an A, one a C+, ‘Meh’ for nowt.  So this year a C+ with solo Pete Peterson hit, and as long as we can help DDP march toward 600+ total hits we are doing our part.

**I DID, however, set a DDP record that will NEVER be matched when Larissa Podermanski and Richard Haag died on May 9-10 respectively—and failed to QO (see above).  Back to back ‘List of the Lost’ entries.  Sir Creep’s DDP claim to fame lol  :lol:

DL Poker Tourney: B

ABC DP: A-

I am not winning but no one is even close to picking dead people at the rate SirC is doing so.  No one, not even the top team.  Pyrrhic victory for someone imho.  I’m kicking ass but sadly not taking names lol. [Someone please explain Hilda Hanson’s missing QO.  I’m fucking listening.]

Hare’s: B+

From nowhere to 3rd place with a mad Nov-Dec surge with Lima and Pres Bush’s (apropos 666-pt) deaths.  But I looked - and I don’t have anyone else who is going to die so I’ve maxed out.  It’s a game of luck and I got all I could get to finish what appears top 5.  Need to pick better names top to bottom.

Advent Avalanche: B (changed to F)

I picked a pretty good name.  Banana picked a far better one.  Only one person wins, the rest are losers.   (Edit: Note, my pick dropped dead the day after Banana's)

Inverse DP: F

I love this DP more than anything, which is why I am amused how awful I am at it.  Pretty sure I was dead last 2017, and will be bottom 5 this year.  I still enjoy it and laugh at my stupidity.

SirC

DL Cup 2018: Kept picking the same couple of people who I thought were on their last legs but weren't. Still managed the revenge win over DI, so not all bad. Narrowly defeated by DDT in Quarters. B-

DDP: Heeflich Manoeuvre: Let down by picking Bill Crider as a joker. Should have known a QO was a virtual impossibility. Buggered it up from the off. Sir Ngatata Love not getting a QO was a little bit more of a surprise, but not vastly. D

Heef's Politics XX: Pretty good effort all round. Top of the Theme Team League as things stand. 8 hits with a couple that I'm amazed are still with us. A

BBC Heaven: 3/20 is okay, all 3 unique hits including two heroes from my formative years. Definitely more possible with such a broad theme, so probably a little disappointing. C

Birthing Pool: Run your own pool, forget to enter a team. Didn't even reach the starting line. Pathetic. Grade U

Gonna have to try adding up my other idea for a pool at some point. That'll be a blast.

So here's the veritable wall of text:

DDP (1) 12 Lords A-Leaving, 8 Ladies Dying: 9 deaths so far however some very obvious tap-ins. Unlikely to hit anymore. Serious improvement on numbers and position, but now a few years in should still have had half my team go. B. (Last Year: A-).

DDP (2) Comedy Cremations: Four hits so far. Again. Steady performance and still chuckling. Strong C. Edit: With June Whitfield's late death that's five hits now, so upgrading to a B- .(Last Year: Strong C).

DDP (3) Hits of 36 Years Ago and Hits Today: For the third year in a row, one hit. However, there have been several fallers, some I couldn't have seen coming, but some I ruled out. Must be marked down severely, hoping my more detailed research pays off next year. E- (Last Year: B+)

Hartlepool: Zero hits with one of my two subs falling only. Worst performance on a pool I've had little luck in. F+ (Last Year: Weak C.)

Hare's Pool: I've simply been consistently awful at this, so used the strategy of having a theme team. Only two hits, but my highest score ever. And I now hold the "longest period without a hit" record. So it's better. D. (Last Year: F).

Death By Numbers: Joker still hasn't died. Not picking him again. Strategy was to get a load of oldies dying and some ill folk. Hasn't worked but still a fair hit rate. And it's not about the winning, is it? B (Last Year B+).

Inverse DP: I predicted a torrid year for deaths on this list and so it has come to pass. Half the number of hits than last year but still a hefty score. Tried to compensate by placing the picks I had elsewhere fairly high, so I win on other pools but not here. Still, I'm happy overall. B. (Last Year: B.)

Scavenger Hunt: Well now. The previous Hunt which finished earlier this year just stalled, gaining no hits, so the grade for that remains F. On the current Hunt, I have 2 hits, but I've a feeling that's where it might end. Probably in 2020! Anyway improvement so it's a C so far.

Generation Game: Steady progress again. Entered this pool under the original rule of BBC Obit requirements, so later entrants had/have an advantage when the obit requirements were relaxed. 6 hits in 2018 so slight improvement in the hit rate. B+ (Last Year: B).

Windy City: 2017/18 as you know was brazen theft of names picked for the Hare's Pool. Turns out that even when I pluck names from the Forum, I can't even do that right! For 2018/19, I already have as many hits so far as I did for the whole of last year. So I'm expecting a fair result, but let's call it a team effort among us all! A- (Last Year: B+).

ABC: 2017/18 got 6 right. Which meant I got 20 wrong! Nevertheless, finished about 4th as I recall so I'm upgrading last year's grade from a D to a C+. Struggling for the current year with only one dead so it's a provisional F.

Grammys: Got three hits in quick succession and then...nothing! Is anyone but me bothering with this? Anyway, it's a rolling pool so upgrading from Unawarded to E-.

Shadowlist: Poor show, fallen back in hit numbers, probably because I treated this as a repository for spare names I had kicking about. I'm hoping for better next year (aren't we all?). D. (Last Year: a fifth of an A).

Midsummer: My pick lives to this day. Unawarded. (Last Year: B.)

Advent Avalanche: My 2017 pick is alive. Early days on the current year as there's only been one death as far as I know. Unawarded- (Last Year: Unawarded).

Poker: I've outperformed last year already, but not hopeful that the next few days will bring much else. D- (Last Year: E).

Deathlist Cup: Well, rub me gently and make three wishes! Final eight by sheer force of luck. Wouldn't even have got by the first round except for the flip of a coin. Lucky lucky bastard. Still it's an upgrade for a specky nerd. B- (Last Year: F).

DL Prediction: Additional telepathy lessons did not pay off and ended up fairly near if not bottom of the entries. However, I'm having the last laugh as it looks like my entry will outperform the Official Deathlist. So yah boo! He he. D (Last Year: C+).

Silver Screen: Early days yet, but no hits, so it's an Unawarded.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DDP: The main team had an excellent start with Mr Wyngarde's demise mid-January, but sadly (and perhaps, considering my record in this competition, unsurpringly) nothing since. E

My theme team has two Ron's gone, Messrs. Chesney & Taylor. The rest linger on. E.

Scavenger Hunt: One hit, a unique Kok (© Bibliogryphon); not setting the world on fire but two more uniques means victory. D

Silver Screen: Currently in joint-fourth place, one hit  behind the leaders B ;)

Inverse DP: Five hits, par for the course, not last anyway. D

Hartlepool Deadlypool: Four Hits, one of whom appeared on Hollywood Squares! I think my best ever performance, so I'm giving myself a C.

• Like 1

June Whitfield brings me to 5 hits on my Comedy Cremations Theme Team. I'm upgrading my score for that to a B-, and edited my post above.

Okay with less than 9 hours to go I'm going to rate my 2018 efforts.

DDP - first year and managed to get to joint 8th with both my near identical teams - Capotelli and Lima were my two big misses but it wasn't that I didn't know they were there, I just thought they wouldn't die. However my main achievement was to create a shit storm of controversy by picking teams with only one difference and then doing quite well - so B+ for position A for getting noticed.

Death List Cup - Joey is a better tosser than me. C.

Deathrace - well 15 of my 20 names are now dead but (and it will be the same this year) I just don't seem to be able to find the people who are on life support and their family are about to press the off button. Don't think I'll ever be able to truly compete in this one. B.

Hare - As defending champ I was hoping for a decent performance but my team was shit - major rethink before I submitted this year's team. E.

Death by Numbers - I'm in 6th place at start of the month but I didn't really have 50 names ready to enter so it was a bit of a throw any name from the threads at it. Anyhow you've all done quite well for me but Death Impends and GCR in another league. B.

Inverse - I love this pool but didn't do very well in it this year. Joint 13th. C.

Advent - my unknown diviner choice is still alive possibly. E.

Windy City 17/18 - lost out by 20 points to DI with good options to beat him over the last month. Pretty happy with that. A- 

Windy City 18/19 - I seem to have ranked my team in the wrong order as bottom 3 all dead but there's time yet. No grade.

Various other ongoing pools - who the fuck cares apart from me. 

The Overton/Lusk one-two will boost my Hare's performance to A at worst and A+ at best as it stands - all depends on if there's another last-minute surprise at my expense!

• Like 1