lifeis...

Norman Lear

I honestly thought he was dead.  I’d have rostered him for sure. Isn’t he dead already? Lol ugh

• Like 1

Decent inclusion for 2023 on age and fame grounds alone .The man is basically the godfather of American sitcoms and has so many connections professionally and personally.

• Like 4

Only added to the DL now? Interesting that he has been inducted only now. One of the DL’s oldest debutees, I’d figured the Committee had no interest in this candidate, if that was the case I thought he would have been put on earlier due to his very advanced age.

• Like 4

Glad he was picked. Would have expected him to go unselected because he isn't much of a presence in the UK, but he's probably the most famous living centenarian and an A-lister over here. Not sure he'll die this year, though; he seems to be doing incredible for his age (but, y'know, 100, never know).

Also, is it just me or is the link to his thread on the list busted?

Yeah, he seems to be doing well, a la Van Dyke (though Lear is less active/mobile), but I added him to my list just because he's 100.  He can't have that much more time left.  I haven't even had Van Dyke on my list in the past few years, but if he survives '23, I very well may add him if he looks like he's declined even a little bit.  

Completely forgot he was on the list. Weird inclusion at 100. Gives Hope however to see Glynis Johns or Eva Marie Saint in it some day. Apparently it’s never too late (Until you’re dead)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Completely forgot he was on the list. Weird inclusion at 100. Gives Hope however to see Glynis Johns or Eva Marie Saint in it some day. Apparently it’s never too late (Until you’re dead)

He isn't the oldest person to have debuted on the DL.

I think he is one of the most obscure in the UK named to ever make it. Many of his sitcoms were never shown here at all - Wiki says Maude was shown on some ITV regions. Was the Jeffersons ever shown?  

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I think he is on of the most obscure in the UK named to ever make it. Many of his sitcoms were never shown here st all - Wiki says Maude was shown on some ITV regions. Was the Jeffersons ever shown?  

All in the Family got a BBC1 run in 1971. 

Sanford and Son only got a BBC3 run in 2003.

No sign of Maude in the Radio Times archives but again, there's holes in their search engine.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, msc said:

All in the Family got a BBC1 run in 1971. 

Sanford and Son only got a BBC3 run in 2003.

No sign of Maude in the Radio Times archives but again, there's holes in their search engine.

I think the Radio Times archive covers only the BBC so if it was on some regions of ITV it won’t be there. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I think the Radio Times archive covers only the BBC so if it was on some regions of ITV it won’t be there. 

*nods*

• Like 2

According to TVRDB (again, some holes), Maude was definitely broadcast on STV in the early weeks of 1980 at around 11pm.

• Like 5

Recently appeared at the movie premiere of 80 for Brady and looks noticeably frailer. Using a wheelchair now, though he can still walk with a cane.

885611330_ScreenShot2023-02-05at11_31_09AM.thumb.png.930ac26edc704303e89807b4d832fad3.png67194213-11699707-Legendary_screenwriter_Norman_Lear_looked_cozy_in_a_black_overco-a-301_1675232762621.thumb.jpg.bf2ae663c0a7abb8c660a8d814503a76.jpg

• Like 1

^ He's actually used a wheelchair for the past several years. Here he is three years back:

Jane Fonda's Fire Drill Friday

I think he looks pretty good there. Frail, yeah, but I doubt most 101-year-olds are well enough to attend a movie premiere and stand on a red carpet. Could have a few more years.

• Like 1

Seeing this updated by tracy and the 20th Century American Sitcoms thread updated by Drewsky1211 you really got me this time.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, polar duck said:

Norman Lear in a video last week making me regret my Shadowlist

Reminds me of Ed Asner in his final year... Marla Gibbs and George Takei look long for the world though.

• Like 2

Yesterday, he tweeted about the writers strike. Very composed tweets, pretty impressive.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, polar duck said:

A video for his 101st birthday.

Drop him from the list, IMO, considering he's likely to not die for at least 2-3, hell ever 4, more years given his condition in this clip.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, Comped said:

Drop him from the list, IMO, considering he's likely to not die for at least 2-3, hell ever 4, more years given his condition in this clip.

Way too risky. I've said before in this thread I think he probably has some time left, but at his age he could die from anything at any second (like his buddy Carl Reiner, who looked great for his age and died instantly after he tripped and fell). Not to mention, he seems completely ready for death judging from stuff like this.

There's also the fact that the DL has never dropped a centenarian, afaik, outside of the Nation of Islam woman.

• Like 5

The history of the DL forum

Some random posters: "Totally need to drop this really old guy/woman, they're fine for another few years."

Old person is dropped in December from the DL list.

Old person then snuffs it a few months later, due to being really old.

Same random posters: "OMG what a miss what were they thinking???"

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

I must say, when Norman does leave this Earth, it will be the end of an era in Classic TV. Many of his fellow producers, creators, directors and actors who have starred in his shows have preceded him. I can't think of any other classic TV creator still alive right now. At least he seems perfectly comfortable when his time comes.

• Like 3