lifeis...

Norman Lear

Like many relevant famous people in heir 90's, they don't appear to be slowing down. 

But life (or death) is full of surprises.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lifeis... said:

Like many relevant famous people in heir 90's, they don't appear to be slowing down. 

But life (or death) is full of surprises.

Famous for what, exactly? 

• Like 1

A yank John Howard Davies i think.??

Just looked him up.

Probably best known for producing the US version of Till Death Us Do Part, All In The Family.

1 minute ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Just looked him up.

Probably best known for producing the US version of Till Death Us Do Part, All In The Family.

Also did the US version of Steptoe and Son, the imaginatively named Sanford and Son.

Took him to be a sort of US Roy Clarke type.

2 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Just looked him up.

Don't think he quite passes the famousness test then?  I'm sure we have a producers thread. A merge is on, methinks.  

3 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Don't think he quite passes the famousness test then?  I'm sure we have a producers thread. A merge is on, methinks.  

I suppose he known well enough to Stateside users of the forum but he may as well be King Lear to me!

10 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

I would say he's pretty well-known in America producing many famous, groundbreaking sitcoms of the 70s including All in the Family, Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, etc. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, markb4 said:

I would say he's pretty well-known in America producing many famous, groundbreaking sitcoms of the 70s including All in the Family, Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, etc. 

TBF, he had the templates from the UK shows, two of those you mention, were based on.

He , basically, did spin offs from All In The Family too.

Not a man of many individual ideas, was he!

• Like 1

He's on my list

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

TBF, he had the templates from the UK shows, two of those you mention, were based on.

He , basically, did spin offs from All In The Family too.

Not a man of many individual ideas, was he!

I'll give you that: he did indeed spinoff from those UK sitcoms. But what they brought to American TV was legendary...if I may use hyperbole.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markb4 said:

I'll give you that: he did indeed spinoff from those UK sitcoms. But what they brought to American TV was legendary...if I may use hyperbole.

You may.:D

• Haha 1

I want to cut the USA off the internet. Every place you go.... And all the TV... remaking anything decent because apparently your standard US citizen cannot even deal with a programme in English without it being changed for home consumption. (that's a dig at the producers, not the people on here who are clearly of a much higher standard).

I am perfectly happy to watch those Scandi Noir thrillers as the original, complete with subtitles, and am not very fond of the 'English' remakes (yes Branagh, I'm looking at you). But remaking something already in English? Meh.

Fire away.

He is the godfather of actress Katey Sagal, known as Peggy Bundy in the US-Sitcom "Married ... with Children".
In 1967 he was Oscar-nominated for "Divorced American style" with Dick van Dyke and Debbie Reynolds.
  • Like 2

On 15/09/2019 at 00:43, Spade_Cooley said:

Becomes oldest ever Emmy winner, seems in good health at the ceremony.

EEeNOmXVUAADbzs?format=jpg&name=small

1 year later

Wins  7th Emmy and breaks his oldest Emmy winner record

The Emmys' were prerecorded with the winners accepting on Zoom chats. Hard to tell his current health from his acceptance speech but  sounded well.

• Shocked 1

Latest interview with Norman Lear:

• Like 2

Receives the Carol Burnett award at the 2021 Golden Globes ceremony; gives virtual speech. 

Norman Lear endorsing an LA mayoral candidate:

• Like 2