Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

4 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Hi Sir Creep - I was going to send you a Private Message but it says you don't accept them? Inbox full or do you just not accept private messages?

Cheers, GUN

Huh I don't know.  Let me check my settings, I get PMs from the Mods all the time telling me I"m a cunt.

(EDit -- OK you wuz korrect I wuz at 100%, deleted some stuff down to 80% you @Grim Up North should be good to go.  Nothing naughty now....)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Eesti said:

DDP Tofoa

1. Fernando Ricksen (Joker) - 95% dead
2. Shivakumara Swami - 95% dead
3. Marieke Vervoort - 50% gamble
4. Leah Bracknell - 75% likely to die
5. Lee Kerslake - 75% likely to die
6. John McCririck - 75%likely to die
7. Jean-Louis Trintignant - 90% dead
8. Bill Turnbull - 60% rather dead than alive
9. Bob Hawke - 60% rather dead than alive
10. John Hume - 50% gamble
11. George Alagiah -50% gamble
12. Ruth Bader Ginsburg - 50% gamble
13. Linda Nolan -40% rather alive than dead
14. Nobby Stiles -40% rather alive than dead
15. Stirling Moss -50% gamble
16. Jacques Chirac -60% rather dead than alive
17. Bart Starr -60% rather dead than alive
18. Noel Conway -75% likely to die, potential obit problems
19. Tim Conway - 50% gamble
20. Clive James - 50% Clive James

Substitutes:
21. Larry Langford - 60% rather dead than alive, potential obit problems
22. Valerie Harper - 40% rather alive than dead
23. Gay Byrne  - 40% rather alive than dead

On 31/12/2018 at 18:46, Eesti said:

Trying to submit a top 20 team. I have had no time to select my contenders carefully so for the next few hours my time will be spent here.

Theme team name: DDP Tofoa Former Picks in the Elderly Nursing Home

1. Valerie Harper (Joker) (2014, 2017-2018) - 40% rather alive than dead
2. Robert Mugabe (2012-2014) - 75% likely to die
3. Pope Benedict XVI (2014) - 60% rather dead than alive
4. Kirk Douglas (2011-2012, 2014) - 60% rather dead than alive
5. Gay Byrne (2017-2018) - 40% rather alive than dead
6. Alberto Fujimori (2018) - 25% likely to live
7. Olivia Newton-John (2018) -95% dead, if I only had the information few hours before the new year
8. Jose Jose (2018) - 25% likely to live
9. Jimmy Carter (2016) - 50% gamble
10. Bob Dole (2013) - 40% rather alive than dead
11. Jack Nicholson (2011) - 20% unlikely to die
12. Yoshiro Nakamatsu (2017) -20% unlikely to die
13. Desmond Tutu (2015) -10% will live
14. Dick Van Dyke (2011) -10% will live
15. Prince Philip (2011, 2014) -25% likely to live
16. Ian St John (2017) - 20% unlikely to die
17. Hosni Mubarak (2013) - 20% unlikely to die
18. Randy Romero (2016) - 10% will live
19. Michael Douglas (2011) - 5% lives
20. Shannen Doherty (2017) - 5% lives

Substitutes:
21. Wilko Johnson (2014) - 1% lives
22. Michael Schumacher (never picked) - 5% lives
23. Paul Gascoigne (never picked) - 50% Paul Gascoigne

If I had to make a bet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eesti said:

If I had to make a bet.

I can't see Noel Conway having any QO trouble.

• Like 2

Here is my team to defend he title for Pity Da Foolz.

Leah Bracknell J

Fatima Ali

Kathleen Blanco

Johnny Clegg

Andrew Fairlie

Pete Frates

Jill Gascoine

Greg Gilbert

Bob Hawke

Bill Hayden (former Australian Governor-general)

Clive James

Lee Kerslake

Andrew McGahan

Robert Mugabe

Martin Plaza (Mental as Anything)

Fernando Ricksen

Nobby Stiles

Bill Turnbull

Marieke Vervoort

5 Australians if Clive James still counts. Martin Plaza is my attempt at a unique-but very possible that an Australian theme team might pick him.  He has missed some tours because of treatment for kidney cancer and some of the rhetoric in the reports sounds a little ominous.  Bill Hayden had a stroke in 2014, but after being a well known atheist he was baptised Catholic last year.  I guess your average politician has a fiat bit to repent on their death bed. Bob Hawke looks terrible and said in the news a few days ago that he may not live to see Labor win our upcoming election. I have selected him, but it really wouldn't surprise me to see him live 5 more years despite how awful he looks now.

Good luck to everyone (competitors and selections) for DDP 2019.

May as well join the "why I picked 'em" self-analysis bandwagon

Fernando Ricksen: Usually hesitant to joker ALSers but he's in the Joost/Borgonovo ballpark, was one of my first locks period, and seems to keep declining with each update

Fatima Ali/Gerard Basset/Kathleen Blanco/Johnny Clegg/Andrew Fairlie/Lee Kerslake/Andrew McGahan/Jean-Louis Trintignant: With Ricksen, the canon this year

Susan Bayh: The final two in the running for Obama's running mate back in 2008 were Biden and Evan Bayh. So in an alternate universe where Obama chose different, Evan's glioblastoma-addled wife could've been a Drop 40 pick! Of course instead we live in the reality where Evan is a political has been, so cult pick. Two Mail AP reports of her illness means they'll cover her death, and a Hoosier veep rn doesn't hurt matters either (one of those AP articles was in the vein of "the Pences are praying for the Bayh family")

Leah Bracknell: Kinda bored with her as a DDP pick, but I got bored with Dr Kate in 2016 so I'm sticking with her

Billy Clayton: Yes, his social media is tough to follow... would be happy for him if he recovered, but practically every update is grim. And the amount of hip-and-now musicians that are big fans of his will make the obit come by easy

Tim Conway: Similar to Joey, I picked him due to a mix of forum momentum and sentimentality (due to fond memories of SpongeBob). Seems to be doing better with competitive teams than Charlotte Rae did, so if he does as well as her with casuals, I think he makes the Drop 40

Chris Doleman: Glioblastoma cert. NFL HoFer secures a Mail obit, AP or otherwise

Clive James: Dusted the DDP cobwebs off of him after 4 years absence. Another annual Drop 40 cert gut feeling pick. The last on the team

Helen Legh: BBC radio presenter, so a very obvious "take advantage of local BBC obits" pick. Glioblastoma since 2014! After years of stability, underwent another surgery early last year. Another surgery a few weeks ago went awry, and is currently in rehab because she lost usage of most of her right-hand side. The surgery did excise the tumor, so not an absolute lock, but if it returns within the year...

Sutopo Purwo Nugroho: Who knew I'd pick another Indonesian so soon after Julia Perez? Could linger on into 2020, but worth the risk. And a fascinating character to boot - his will to keep his country's people informed on the seemingly endless string of disasters while himself terminally ill is admirable

Ronald J. Shurer: Stage 4 lung cancer since early 2017, which has grown a bit in a recent scan. Still out and about at the moment, but Errol Christie's timeline would suggest a midyear death. Though he could just as well follow Bracknell's timeline!

Suzanne Whang: Comedian and actress diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer around 2011, went into remission, returned aggressively late last year. She's doing the foolproof Mexican clinic route to treat it. Could still last the year though since the rediagnosis is so recent, and it's breast. As for obitability, she was the longtime host of reality TV's House Hunters and is best friends with General Hospital actress Vanessa Marcil. So there's definitely a good possibility of a Mail angle.

Rachel Zoll: One of the AP's best regarded religion journos, whose skill allowed AP to be the first to confirm Rev Billy Graham's death. So yes, perhaps the most blatant AP Mail pick in history! Anyways, she has terminal brain cancer, hasn't been on Twitter since early 2018, and was too ill to attend an awards ceremony in September.

• Like 3

Cancel My Appointments 

1. Fatima Ali (Death certainty 8/10; she's looking at LATE 2019, won't take much for a push into 2020, but 29 until April, 30 thereafter, you have to suit her up and get her out there.)
  2. George Alagiah (Death 7/10; D40 for sure, so worth the spot.  In his 60s)
  3. John Andretti (Death 8/10; possibly D40, no matter cuz anyone under 60 are solid 9 points, I have a lot of 50 year olds)
  4. Kathleen Blanco (Death 8/10; likely D40, only in her 60s).
  5. Shirley Boone (Death 10/10.  I'm starting to think no one else has her.  Could it be?  How can anyone doubt Pat Boone's wife will QO?  One of three 80 year olds (Conway/D'Allonches).
  6. Leah Bracknell (Death 7/10, D40, at least if I miss I have a ton of people going down the rabbit hole with me)
  7. Beth Chapman (Death 8/10, likely D40)
  8. Tim Conway (Death 8/10, D40, hard to tell about Alzheimer's, but he seems on a faster decline.  Again, if wrong, so is everyone else.  85 yr old)
  9. Gabrielle D'Allonches (Death 9/10, solo pick for sure.  Only question is QO, and she is Lloyd Klein's mother, I'm almost positive she obits.  84 yr old.  This puts me top 20.)
  10. Barry Du Bois (Death 8/10, don't really know much about him but what I've read since summer isn't good, including comments from him.  50-something yr old)
  11. Christy Dignam (Death either 10/10 or 0/10.  Recent photo he looked wasting away.  Said he's going off treatment. Maybe a lie, maybe death awaits him regardless)
  12. Andrew Fairlie (Death 10/10.  Maybe D40.  Late find I'm sure most the pro DLers found.  Just give me my 10 points tyvm)
  13. Pete Frates (Death 8.5/10.  Did no one see the article I posted on the 30th?  Well good.  Hospitalized w/ pneumonia, that's the sign he's about to die.  Mother said 'we were lucky to have him at Christmas')
  14. Mark Howard (Death 9/10.  Pretty damn sure he will QO with ties to Dylan, but who knows.  In his 50s, solid points)
  15. Pauline Hunt (**JOKER**)  (Death 9/10.  Damn YoungWillz... thought I could sneak her by as a solo hit (worth 22), should have went with Ricksen as joker (24).  Now she's only 18 points.  Huge loss.)
  16. Lee Kerslake (Death 9/10.  I should think he QOs. Possible D40.
  17. Andrew McGahan (Death 9/10.  Im the only person not sure if he QOs.  Well cool!  Possible D40)
  18. Fernanado Ricksen (Death 8/10.  I'm the only person not convinced he won't last into 2020, which is why I went with Hunt for Joker cuz I know she is dead.  D40, everyone has him)
  19. Fred Rister (Death 7/10.  Figured the majority would lay off him due to QO doubts.  I have none.  He just needs to die.  In his 50s, solid points)
  20. Bill Turnbull (Death 6/10.  Likely D40.  Will see how his C progresses.  If he looks ok in summertime this could prove my undoing, giving Newton-John/Clegg/Trintignant the boot for him)

201 potential points and probably 6-9 more if D40s come through.  
  • Like 2

On 01/01/2019 at 11:23, Predictor said:

Decided yesterday to do a last-minute theme team. No email confirmation yet, but I hope it will be approved as a valid theme team eventually.

Olivia and Company (Olivia de Havilland's co-stars throughout her career who are still alive). Will it do any better than that dud of a Disney movie from 1988? Time will tell...

1. Ursula Andress - The Fifth Musketeer (1979)
2. Lesley Anne-Down - Pope Joan (1972) & Murder Is Easy (1982)
3. Candice Bergen - The Adventurers (1970)
4. Tommy Berggren - The Adventurers (1970)
5. James Caan - Lady in a Cage (1964)
6. Michael Caine (joker) - The Swarm (1978)
7. Richard Chamberlain - The Swarm (1978)
8. Audrey Dalton - My Cousin Rachel (1952)
9. Bruce Dern - Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964)
10. Lee Grant - The Swarm (1978)
11. George Hamilton - Light in the Piazza (1962)
12. James Earl Jones - Roots: The Next Generations (1979) but appearantly not. :angry:
13. Marilyn Knowlden - Anthony Adverse (1936)
14. Mickey Kuhn - Gone With the Wind (1939)
15. Ian McShane - The Fifth Musketeer (1979)
16. Yvette Mimieux - Light in the Piazza (1962)
17. Franco Nero - Pope Joan (1972)
18. Gene Reynolds - Santa Fe Trail (1940)
19. Katharine Ross - The Swarm (1978)
20. Liv Ullmann - Pope Joan (1972)

...Yeah, as you can see, I fucked up with #12. For research, I used Olivia de Havilland's filmography table on Wikipedia. Under "television", it said she appeared in Roots: The Next Generation. That part is true, but where it says JEJ's name under the "Leading man" column is not. You see, the two of them were never in the same damn episodes together, upon closer inspection on IMDb. Should've gone with the less talented Bridges brother instead.

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Cancel My Appointments

[snip]

Shirley Boone (Death 10/10.  I'm starting to think no one else has her.  Could it be?  How can anyone doubt Pat Boone's wife will QO?  

[snip]

I don't doubt it, which is why I picked her as well.  Very hard to get a unique pick with potential these days.

• Like 2

On 01/01/2019 at 01:48, machotrouts said:

#1 Hits

A theme team of people who've had a record peak at #1 in the UK Singles Chart (either solo or as part of a group).

Last year's position is given in brackets, where applicable.

1. (2) Nobby Stiles (England World Cup Squad '70)
  2. (4) Olivia Newton-John
  3. (new) Richard Tandy (Electric Light Orchestra)
  4. (new) Peter Tork (Monkees)
  5. (5) Vera Lynn
  6. (13) Tony Baylis (Wurzels)
  7. (new) Chris Farlowe
  8. (new) Willie Nelson (USA for Africa)
  9. (new) Little Jimmy Osmond
  10. (10) Doris Day
  11. (15) Jane Morgan
  12. (new) Anita Doth (2 Unlimited)
  13. (re) Rolf Harris
  14. (7) Harry Belafonte
  15. (new) Larry Cunningham (Floaters)
  16. (new) Derrick 'Johnny' Henry (Commonwealth Band)
  17. (new) Phil Creswick (Band Aid II)
  18. (new) Windsor Davies
  19. (new) David Graham (Peter Kay's Animated All Star Band)
  20. (new) Demi Lovato

This team had four hits in 2018: Aretha Franklin (8), Ray Thomas (9), Abi Ofarim (12), and Charles Aznavour (16). Survivors dropped from the team are: Chas Smash (1), DJ Casper (3), Chris Rea (6), Terry Jacks (11), Dave Edmunds (14), Sinéad O'Connor (17), Billy Connolly (18), Peter Kay (19), and Lil Wayne (20).

Getting in the way of all the proper deadpoolers' analysis with facts and thoughts about my shitty little theme team:

• Now that I've finally had the sense to drop Connolly and O'Connor after 3 years, Vera Lynn is the only person to have been on all 4 incarnations of this team.
  • Doris Day, Jane Morgan, and Rolf Harris all celebrate their 3rd year on the team – Doris skipped 2016, Jane skipped 2017, and Rolf skipped 2018.
  • Jimmy Osmond, who had a stroke while playing Captain Hook in panto, entered the squad on Dec 31, the same day I had to take out Dr Hook's Ray Sawyer. A hook for a hook.
  • I know there are 1 or 2 optimistic obits up there. Cancer Larry from the Floaters? One fifth of a 42-year-old one-hit wonder is a long shot, right? I shrugged off his previous heart troubles, but then one of you had to go and post on the forum that he's spending New Year's Eve in a hospital bed clutching his chest, and #1 Hits can't ignore that. He was probably posted as a trap for seasoned players, but a proper team's trash is a theme team's treasure.
  • All 7 decades of the chart, from the 1950s to the 2010s, are represented here.
  • Demi Lovato takes the #20 spot from Lil Wayne not just as the Overdose Punt, but also as a candidate in their first year of eligibility – Lil Wayne had his first UK #1 in 2017, and Demi Lovato had her first UK #1 in 2018.
  • I've previously posted about the fact that I resented "having" to include Charles Aznavour on my team, as he was the oldest eligible male regardless of his apparent good health, and that when he died, I'd "have" to swap him for Tony Bennett, despite him also being in good health. Upon further research, I realised the actual oldest eligible male was the 93-year-old actor David Graham, who starred in Peter Kay's Animated All Star Band as Parker from Thunderbirds. David Graham also seems active and healthy, and I look forward to resenting him for years to come.

Not happy Tandy is not a unique for me, @machotrouts, ha ha.

Only joking, whatever went on this year with his health just had me suspicious enough to pop him on my team.

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Not happy Tandy is not a unique for me, @machotrouts, ha ha.

Only joking, whatever went on this year with his health just had me suspicious enough to pop him on my team.

I disregarded the rumours and speculation in 2017 because I trusted that insider who said he was just off receiving treatment for gammy fingers – then in 2018, the insider comes out and says it was a deliberate red herring to distract from his actual health issues. Very exciting plot twist.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Although of mild note: Tyler Trent was only picked on two teams, and was a joker for both. Gene Okerlund was a unique, and again a joker. So 100% of all deaths so far have been captain hits.

Oooh so near - a Tyler Trent unique would have been  staggering - just happy he got the QO! 

14 hours ago, Dr_T said:

Here is my team to defend he title for Pity Da Foolz.

5 Australians if Clive James still counts. Martin Plaza is my attempt at a unique-but very possible that an Australian theme team might pick him.  

Doc, I'm really surprised you haven't gone for Michael Murphy

The murder of Anita Cobby was a massive thing over there and got plenty of coverage over here

Murphy is now receiving palliative care in prison (reported by the Mail in Sept).  A shoe in for this year IMO and I'm sure the Daily Fail will oblige with an QO.

Hey everyone, I have just stumbled across this site and love it!

I would love to take part, bvut have no idea what I need to do?

Could anyone enlighten me please?

If I come up with a list for this deadpool, do I just post it on here?

Just now, Master Tech said:

Unfortunately the deadline to enter the 2019 DDP has already passed. Sorry about that. 

Arghh no :( gutted.

Have I missed the deadline for all the deadpools?

If so I will still join in with forums etc and bide my time until next year! :) 

We should have a cheatsheet explaining to newbies what the DDP is, what the DL is and what the other deadpools of note are. Anyone volunteer to write it?

• Like 1

Just now, Master Tech said:

A lot of dead pooling deadlines have past, however there are still a few you can join later this month. Inverse pool and jokers should be up after the DDP begins, while registration for the Deathlist cup is happening now. Hope to see you compete in those pools. :) 

• Like 2

Brilliant thanks! I will keep an eye out for these! 

I will read up on the rules and get my list together :)

26 minutes ago, Master Tech said:

The Windy City Deadpool ends on April 30th and hopefully re-starts on May 1st...

• Like 1

Have a browse through the Deadpools forum section.  There are various competitions that start at different times of the year, and there may even still be a couple that you can join anytime.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2019 at 12:22, Spade_Cooley said:

As soon as this site's up I'm establishing a steering committee for next year's edition, because we need to come up with a better way of processing entries that doesn't send gamerunners insane.

Although of mild note: Tyler Trent was only picked on two teams, and was a joker for both. Gene Okerlund was a unique, and again a joker. So 100% of all deaths so far have been captain hits.

Okerlund died from complications of a fall at his home.  SOME would suggest that falling is an unnatural act. Don't get me started.  But there it is, do with that information as you like.

(Edit -- ahh but son says the fall happened a few weeks ago.  So medical condition existed prior to Jan 1.  Sorted then?)

Oh -- it's started

Other unnatural acts:
Stubbing of one's toe
Bending over and hitting head on something on the way down, or on a cupboard door or summat on the way back up.
Sneezing or coughing
Frostbite north/south of 60 Latitude
Allergic reactions
Cold & Flu

SC

3 hours ago, Master Tech said:

Not too late for the DL Cup, mind - check the thread on here

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Not too late for the DL Cup, mind - check the thread on here

I believe there is an Inverse DP as well coming up soon.

• Like 2