Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

12 minutes ago, Dr_T said:

My mother hates me doing this....she thinks it is sick and twisted that I effectively cheer on 20 people to die.  I prefer to think of all the people who I didn't select who I want to continue living (there must be 100's of these).  Looking at the other contenders I think John McCririck is probably the one I was closest to picking but didn't who will be the most damaging should he die.  Of course but for the forums I would never have heard of him-from the pictures I've seen of him I don't think they would have all the pieces to make an indentikit picture of him if he committed a crime.  With The Honourable Robert James Lee Hawke not making the Drop 40 I think replacing Hawke with McCririck is the change I would make given the chance.

Good luck to all the team managers and their selections.  Thanks to Spade for devoting so much of his time to get this up and going so quickly with all of the technical difficulties. 

I look at it this way. I don't actually want these people to die, with a few exceptions, (I was perfectly happy to lose Ian Brady), and I'm happy if they beat the odds and make it. I'm really rooting for Greg Gilbert to survive for example, and I was sad when we lost Brian Cant, even though both were on my team.

But if they die, despite my willing them on, I might as well have the points.

Yes, good luck to all, and thanks to Spade and everyone else for the massive amount of work this must take. It's appreciated.

• Like 2

8 Unique picks in my Blueberry Crumble team and I am also very surprised that James Lovelock who I picked in my Gooseberry Crumble team was a unique pick.  Also does anyone please have a direct link to the drop 40 as my link will only take me to the team lists and names and not the drop 40 list if possible please.:)

Fantastic work @Spade_Cooley Thank you for your patience ,dedication and huge efforts.

10 minutes ago, CharonsCrew said:

I look at it this way. I don't actually want these people to die, with a few exceptions, (I was perfectly happy to lose Ian Brady), and I'm happy if they beat the odds and make it. I'm really rooting for Greg Gilbert to survive for example, and I was sad when we lost Brian Cant, even though both were on my team.

But if they die, despite my willing them on, I might as well have the points.

Yes, good luck to all, and thanks to Spade and everyone else for the massive amount of work this must take. It's appreciated.

I like to think I have the same outlook in that I don't necessarily want these people to die but it is more like an academic exercise to predict who I think is likely.  In saying that I am a very competitive person and very much have the attitude "if someone keeps score it is worth winning."  Anyone in any doubt about that should talk to Mrs T about me playing Just Dance against her 10 year old nephew recently.  So the reality is that there is a large element of wanting to be correct and to score points, and the fact that these people have to die to make it happen can't really be separated. 

In saying all this when I keep track of the progress of some of these people and especially if I start following them on Twitter I can get quite attached to them.  I purposely didn't select Kate Granger the year she passed because I didn't want to be conflicted about her death.  I probably wouldn't have selected SKS again had he survived 2018. 

Most people who know about this hobby of mine think of it as quite harmless.  A small number of friends will text me to ask if I selected a particular person when someone of note cashes in.  I think Mrs T thinks it quirky (and she was helping me with my last few picks for my personal 50), but I don't think she'd approve if it went beyond my current involvement.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

8 Unique picks in my Blueberry Crumble team and I am also very surprised that James Lovelock who I picked in my Gooseberry Crumble team was a unique pick.  Also does anyone please have a direct link to the drop 40 as my link will only take me to the team lists and names and not the drop 40 list if possible please.:)

Fantastic work @Spade_Cooley Thank you for your patience ,dedication and huge efforts.

He also updated it a few posts later

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr_T said:

I like to think I have the same outlook in that I don't necessarily want these people to die but it is more like an academic exercise to predict who I think is likely.  In saying that I am a very competitive person and very much have the attitude "if someone keeps score it is worth winning."  Anyone in any doubt about that should talk to Mrs T about me playing Just Dance against her 10 year old nephew recently.  So the reality is that there is a large element of wanting to be correct and to score points, and the fact that these people have to die to make it happen can't really be separated. 

In saying all this when I keep track of the progress of some of these people and especially if I start following them on Twitter I can get quite attached to them.  I purposely didn't select Kate Granger the year she passed because I didn't want to be conflicted about her death.  I probably wouldn't have selected SKS again had he survived 2018. 

Most people who know about this hobby of mine think of it as quite harmless.  A small number of friends will text me to ask if I selected a particular person when someone of note cashes in.  I think Mrs T thinks it quirky (and she was helping me with my last few picks for my personal 50), but I don't think she'd approve if it went beyond my current involvement.

Yeah, my spouse is bemused by it I think, but just finds it quirky. Nobody else knows I play. I understand about getting attached. I've never been able to pick Paul Darrow, because he was such a childhood hero of mine.

I'm different, since I'm not an especially competitive person - I mean I do like to win, but mostly I just enjoy it as a game. Just a different personality. It also helps that I don't feel I have a chance in hell of winning!  I do do some research, but there are people who put in a lot more research than I do, so I don't expect to beat them. I set my own goals - first year score some points, second year finish in the top 100, this year better my score from last time.

6 hours ago, Sean said:

Colin Baddiel a unique.That is a surprise.Not surprised I got Eugenia Cooney as a unique pick.

Surprised Jordan Dawes only picked by 3 teams.

Suprised she’s picked by any.  Three teams didn’t do their homework.  I’ll bet at least one was a theme team of youngsters, in which case she makes sense.

7 hours ago, Banana said:

Thank you for doubling down on your stupidity

You may be a little on the older side so your cognition may not be what it used to be so I'll spell it out for ya

Step 1: go to the page where you'd be able to see all picks

Step 2: do as I previously mentioned

Step 3: Ta-da!

And since I'm in such a good mood (and since Spade doesn't seem to have much issue with it) here's the link

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2019/teams.html

Well that link works but changing the date to 2019 for the other sections just takes me back to 2018.  Maybe it’s an iPhone thing.  In any case I see everyone is at the party but I’m outside and the door is locked.  

If the site is actually up and running I’d appreciate a link because as I said, I am unable to access it.  The teams page does nothing for me, I bloody well know who is on my teams.

SC

Edit- ok got Who Died So Far to work and can use links there to move around.  So all the pages are working just not the homepage lmao?  

How is in fucking hell is Beth Chapman not D40 (but Turnbull is)??   And how is Mark Howard a solo pick for me, I thought he may approach D40 lol he’s only guaranteed to die and Dylan’s sound engineer.  Speaking of which he’s not listed under H so I’ll assume a work in progress, plus there is a C at the top of the letter D names.

7 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

A random stat, there are an incredible 140 teams on the 2019 roster who have now entered the DDP for ten or more years.  Two teams, one of them @drunkasaskunk, have been at it for over twenty years. :salute:

I didn't count, but there are also many, many teams entering for the eighth or ninth time.  

Very impressive brand loyalty and a level of return business that some websites would kill for. 

8th time out for Pan Breed. With 1 top 10 place so far. It's the taking part...

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Yeah, been through and noticed some more doublers (which means some folk who think they have uniques will be sorely disappointed) and one particular one that might need to be separated out.

I assume this is on the cards for Dr Reid, because my brain can't comprehend an obit cert notable with a death sentence cancer practically being unique.

Whereas Dame Callil was my "surely 100% unique" name from early on.

5 hours ago, Dr_T said:

I too am surprised that Bob Hawke didn't make Drop 40 (to tell you the truth if there was someone I could replace given the chance that is the one).  My other non-bonus picks are Pete Frates (punters must be losing patience with his slow burn MND), Fatima Ali (just not all that famous) and Andrew McGahan (again perhaps not all that famous internationally-very well known in my neck of the woods-thought that he would've been sniffed out by enough cadaver hounds to elevate him to Drop 40).  With McGahan a seemingly nailed on certainty and Fatima Ali very likely to die and being young I think they are still good selections.

Ah, I was wondering about Hayden, couldn't see anything!

Hawke suffered from being announced too late imo, after a bunch of teams that'd have picked him had already sent in their teams. McGahan has obit worries, but no LoTLer has had that many teams on board so cross fingers etc. Ali? I kept her quiet for a certain Midway teen (bit of a Rad... guy) only for it to turn out every fucker knew about her! imo if everyone keeping her to themselves all December had mentioned her early on here instead, Drop 40. 

I had a choice of Frates, Ricksen or Rensenbrink for 1 spot. ALS/MND is tricky to pin point down.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

How is in fucking hell is Beth Chapman not D40

*waves*

Almost entirely my fault. Already said I dropped her at the last minute. Had I kept her, Drop 40 by looks of it. So ya know, sorry bout that!

I am shocked that @Gooseberry Crumble got a unique on James Lovelock too, but relieved.  I didn't consider him for my Rafferty team as I assumed he'd be on the DDP easily!

Mentioned here as I cant work out how to get rid of those @ tags elsewhere and didn't' want Spade tagged by replying to Crumbles post!

• Like 1

Amazing work to get all this up and ready.

Surprised I managed to snag Larry Wallis as a unique

• Like 1

Awesome work - it's only the 11th January!

Other than that the site is up so fast that my B team is still joint top of the scoreboard - WOOHOO need that screen grabbed.

As for my team and others I'm pleased to see that Fatima Ali didn't make it to D40 status (so if she gets past her birthday the damage of missing her is at least limited), also that enough people kept faith with Marieke that she made D40 so my main team joker gamble gets full value if it comes off plus Andrew Fairlie, Johnny Clegg and Kathleen Blanco all made D40 which I wasn't expecting (maybe 1 of the 3).

The one person who didn't make D40 when I put them in my team because I thought they would was John Hume. Looking at how few teams did pick him I got this massively wrong. 

Surprised McIntyre was a unique.

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Amazing work to get all this up and ready.

Not gonna lie, I've done little other than sleep, eat, work and handle this site since December 20th. I am very, very ready for a day spent watching "205 Live" and playing Football Manager 2019. I haven't played any FM in six weeks, my computer probably thinks its been sold to someone else.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Lockhart, June

Born 25 June 1925  (New York City, New York, USA)

Regular US TV actress, mainly on soap operas.

--------------------------------

She was most notably the mother (Mrs. Robinson)  on "Lost In Space".  

How is Lloyd Klein a unique?  He has 6 months to live if his new meds don't work out (last word was he is seeing some positive signs -- but still).  He and Trintignant were literally my last two cuts.

Two David Koch entries can be merged.

15 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

How is Lloyd Klein a unique?  He and Trintignant were literally my last two cuts.

I think the second quoted line answers the first!

A late cut here too, just the nagging feeling that if he was really dire he'd have had more coverage?

Klein is my biggest "whoops" as far as names completely evading my radar go. One blink and you miss it Mail article about his health, and I blinked! The finds I did make more than make up for this miss, mind, and he's not an 100% cert anyway.

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 02:01, msc said:

I want some sleep before posting Pan Breed, but here's a un spoilery Theme Team:

THEME TEAM

Whatever's Written on your Death (That's All That Matters)

THEME - People who, should they die in 2019, I'd like to see a Spade Cooley obit for.

Harley Race (joker) -

Stan Cosgrove - Shergar's doctor

Dietrich Weise - The German football coach

Brian Glanville  - sports journo

Hugh McIlvanney - legendary sports writer

Anne Perry - murderer turned author

Arnold Yarrow- actor

Lawrence Gordon Clark - director of the Ghost Stories for Christmas

Vernon Dobtcheff

David Kenneth Fieldhouse - historian

Aaron Beck - CBT guy

Dick Taverne - politicoo

Derren Nesbitt - alcoholic wife beating actor

Sir Michael Atiyah

Donald Pelmear - aging actor

Piper Laurie - Carrie's mum

Andrew Davies - the TV writer

Lorraine Warren - ghost hunter

Andre Maranne - French actor, Pink Panther etc

David Berglas - magician

subs

Ignacio Trelles

James Garbutt

David H Murdock

Sir Michael Atiyah dead:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Sir Michael Atiyah dead:

I can't even mind what documentary I was watching on BBC4 last year that had him as a talking head, but looking him up afterwards brought references to his "frail health".

Urgh, I was absolutely convinced I’d have a unique in Tim Smith. Great work Spade!

3 minutes ago, msc said:

I can't even mind what documentary I was watching on BBC4 last year that had him as a talking head, but looking him up afterwards brought references to his "frail health".

Did he win the Riemann Prize?  That was the last mention I heard last year, but it takes ages to be proved/or not.

4 minutes ago, charon said:

Did he win the Riemann Prize?  That was the last mention I heard last year, but it takes ages to be proved/or not.

Was apparently still to be peer reviewed before Christmas, so unlikely I'd have thought.

Crikey.10 days in and my joker has kicked the bucket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

So the inverse deadpool can start, here's this year's official Drop 40.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2019/drop_forty.html

The only thing I can say is that I am gobsmacked that Niki Lauda is a unique pick for me. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

The only thing I can say is that I am gobsmacked that Niki Lauda is a unique pick for me. 

wow - that really is surprising - good luck with it must be a good chance he won't make it to 2020.

• Like 1