Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

1 minute ago, charon said:

Joey mistyped 1963 I think, which is the actors dob not the chefs. He's 1964.

From the DDP bio for Fairlie:

Born 3 November 1953  (Perth, Scotland)

Very likely that it was a typo when TMIB made his bio in 2017, so I’m just mentioning it needs to be fixed

2 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Yeah, this Herald Scotland article from back in 2013 notes he was turning 50 on November 21 that year. So he came into existence a day before JFK's noggins exploded.

Are you implying there's a connection?

It will all come out in the obituary (which I hope will be a way off, gawd bless him).

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

From the DDP bio for Fairlie:

Born 3 November 1953  (Perth, Scotland)

Very likely that it was a typo when TMIB made his bio in 2017, so I’m just mentioning it needs to be fixed

You take a Liverpudlians word as gospel and you deadpool?

Lol.

Spade, please also correct the bio of Estelle Parsons:

1. She even won the Oscar she was nominated for

2. The picture does not show Estelle Parsons

Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

so I’m just mentioning it needs to be fixed

Well mention it there, not here......

6 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Are you implying there's a connection?

Nah a day too early. He probably caused the death of the Birdman of Alcatraz though.

Oh Spade,

please also correct the birthdate of Anne Buydens Douglas: 23.04.1919 seems to be correct.

Thank you! :)

Spade I hope all these fuckers with the corrections are buying you heaps of coffee too!:D

12 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Spade I hope all these fuckers with the corrections are buying you heaps of coffee too!:D

Aye. I would do that. After the corrections. :D

• Haha 1

Great job, Spade! I'm rushing to Timmy's to get you some maple don-- oh wait, not my theme team!!

6 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

OK.... so theme team descriptions are in, the celebs are all in alphabetical order, the two dead guys I've spotted so far have been removed, there's no longer two listings for Sikrit, Queen Mother of Thailand, front page is up to date... I'm gonna declare the 2019 DDP officially open.

I put about £150 of my own money into getting the site transferred to a new host, sorting out a logo, buying a Wordpress design and hiring an IT guy from Pakistan to sort out the VBscript issues that were stopping the site for the past week. I was happy to give back to the DDP community, but if any of you want to buy me a virtual coffee you can do so here:

https://ko-fi.com/spadecooley

Good Job Spade,the site looks wonderful

Some name stuff i noticed

Jefford,Barbara  was a pick in 2017 but is listed as details to follow

Shellshock,Shifty on Worlds Worst Mixtape was a previous pick in 2017/2015 as Binzer,Seth Brooks

Cheif Keef on Generation Death was a previous pick in 2014 and 2016 as Cozart,Keith

• Like 1

I... think that's everything mentioned in this thread so far changed?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

OK.... so theme team descriptions are in, the celebs are all in alphabetical order, the two dead guys I've spotted so far have been removed, there's no longer two listings for Sikrit, Queen Mother of Thailand, front page is up to date... I'm gonna declare the 2019 DDP officially open.

I put about £150 of my own money into getting the site transferred to a new host, sorting out a logo, buying a Wordpress design and hiring an IT guy from Pakistan to sort out the VBscript issues that were stopping the site for the past week. I was happy to give back to the DDP community, but if any of you want to buy me a virtual coffee you can do so here:

https://ko-fi.com/spadecooley

Come on, you tight gits.

48 minutes ago, Toast said:

Come on, you tight gits.

And you tight ladies, too.  :wub:

Hey it’s a ploy to find out our real names!  Not like I have a SirCreep PayPal account.  Aarrrggghhh. :)

(Friggin PayPal down momentarily)

I just noticed that there’s no theme team description for my counterculture theme team. Hopefully that will be fixed soon...

I sent in Humam Husari, and added a note that sorry, I couldn't find an age for him. Felt bad about giving you the extra work. I've been digging, and just found this article dated October 2018, that mentions he was 32 at that point, so he's a solid 10 pointer for now no matter when his birthday is. Thanks!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/27/home-office-in-u-turn-over-syrian-journalist-humam-husari-barred-from-uk-rory-peck-award

6 hours ago, CharonsCrew said:

I sent in Humam Husari, and added a note that sorry, I couldn't find an age for him. Felt bad about giving you the extra work. I've been digging, and just found this article dated October 2018, that mentions he was 32 at that point, so he's a solid 10 pointer for now no matter when his birthday is. Thanks!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/27/home-office-in-u-turn-over-syrian-journalist-humam-husari-barred-from-uk-rory-peck-award

What do you think his odds are of a QO?

9 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

What do you think his odds are of a QO?

Literally 1/1,000,000,000. 

• Haha 1

I have just noticed that Margaret Stuart-Barry is listed under both Stuart and Barry and is not a unique for me.

I have got 14 uniques in each of two of my teams.

• Like 1

Ok, it's the annual pundits forecast on the DDP. As usual, it will be wrong on winner, top ten, etc, but it's 2 for 2 on picking dark horses - even if Joey let the side down late on. :lol: Last year, Willz asked why it wasn't based on EVERY DDP team, so fuck it, it is. All 500 of them.

Here's the 90 worth chatting about after that...

-          Norfolk and Good – Mix of the ill and popular. Amy Price, Marieke Vervoort, Peter Lorimer, examples of high risk high reward team. Tommy Chong not a great pick. If every gamble paid off they could have a final score of 120+! But… they wont, and an average of about 50 seems more likely.

-          12 Lords A-Leaping –A contender for most improved by years end, imo. Ali, Blanco, Fairlie, Hunt and Kerslake are all great picks, as is Harry Reid ignored by many. Willz has likely gone a year early on the trio of Alagiah, Turnbull and Weir, but may yet have the last laugh (Alagiah seems most at risk of the three). Mark Radcliffe is a weak pick, but countered by Vicky Phelan. Willz’s floor is circa 105 points, so one to watch for the top 30.

-          2020? No Thank You!...  Several top Drop 40ers on team.  Floor = 80 points, with some interesting outlier picks.

-          A Pelican in the Wilderness – To my surprise, the nefarious Pelican has picked a friend of a friend! You can count on Pelican sniffing out some good picks, and Katherine Jackson and Bob Hawke appearing here ain’t great for their future prospects.

-          A Trophy for Atrophy – Lots of gamble picks, an unwise joker (Monsanto Man’s cancer should see him to 2020), and some obit worries (Chris Wilson) but this team was 21st in 2018 off a similar strategy. Floor of about 60 points.

-          Aardvark’s Bupa Listing – Tusk, McDonell (joker), Juncker, Corbyn, Abbott, etc. This team wont do well, but is very funny.

-          Amanita Virosa – Made the top 40 in 2018, and has a floor of 65, and that’s not counting ON-J, who may be a cany joker yet.

-          And Now His Watch Has Ended – Finished 5th back in 2011, with a floor of 100, and gambles like Michael Robinson, Greg Gilbert and George Alagiah, may return to the top 20 in 2019.

-          Apricot Crumble – Lacks a floor, but has a number of potentially smart picks – Dr Watson, Martin Peters and Douglas Hurd to name three.

-          Are You Still Dying, Darling – Floor 94.

-          Banana’s Peel Slippers – With a floor of 96, likely to vastly improve on 55th place.

-          Benningtons – Floor 80

-          Big Iain – With Gary Glitter, Fujimori and Superstar Billy G, truly a team to wish well…

-          Bleaching the Bottom of the Barrel – With a floor of 130, and gambles like P-orridge, Clorox’s newcomers are actually the hottest dark horse debutants since TJS back in 2013. Should make the top 10 at a minimum, one to watch closely.

-          Blueberry Crumble – Drewitt-Barlow should produce points here. Sandy Ratcliff could be an inspired unique pick.

-          Bucket of Blood – Top 5 in 2017 and 2018, Floor of 100, so not a team to rule out.

-          C.A. Daver – Floor 29, but the usual interest picks. And Glen Michael!

-          Cancel My Appointments – Sir Creep is yet to reach the DDP top 30, a massive underachievement tbh. This year with a projected floor of 110, he should finally break into that upper echelon. Surprisingly Mark Howard is a unique. Also went for Alagiah and Turnbull, but hey, if my reading of these things was that great I wouldn’t have only 1 top 10 placing in 8 years!

-          Cancerous Hatred – Jiroemon’s back! A very risky team produces a floor of 66, but if some of those obits come in, the ceiling is far higher

-          Captain Hemlock’s 20 – Floor 52.

-          Carkers Convention – Floor 110. Likely another top 30 placing for Maryport.

-          Compost Corner – Floor 63, and with Frates, Conway and Houlston onboard, could leap up the standings with the right wind behind them.

-          Dave’s Dead – Floor 61

-          Day in the Death – A top contender for the title, Joey has a floor of 129, and some top risky picks like Edmund Capon, Headshrinker Samu. If hes’s not in the top 10, then the deadpooling year has gone vastly differently to how all of us expect.

-          DDP Tofoa – With a floor of 90, expect another top 30 spot.

-          Dead Ends – While this team has a low floor (66), it has an entire 13 picks in the 50/50 column, so is likely on averages to better. Maybe even far better.

-          Dead Last? Dead Right – Floor 73

-          Dead Wait – Floor 74, but I like the plump for Irrfan Khan.

-          Deathray’s Kevorkian Clinic – Floor 58. You don’t hear much of Albert Finney these days.

-          Deceased Hose – Floor 92, but a lot of gambles – the obit for Paul Dewar and kamikaze joker Tanya Gendle, for example. I applaud the transfer from Pan Breed of Carl Piddington. High potential in this team.

-          Die Now Show us you pegged – Floor in the 50s, unique with Naka Drotske! Wont be the only person to have googled them several times in December!

-          Dinner Reservation for 20 – Htin Kyaw, a longlister who never made the jump, is a unique for this underdog.

-          Droller Coaster – A floor of 130, and some picks that could look smart by years end (Hadlee, Heine, Smullen). Ought to be challenging for the top 5.

-          Drunkasaskunk – Floor 64. Stunned McConnell is unique. From that and Amy Price to Mikis Theodorakis and Ian Holm within 20 picks!

-          Eejit – Floor 75.

-          Ethnic Cleansing – Floor 105. Hopefully will avoid the Curse of the Runners Up as they share nearly half their picks with me!

-          Fade to Black – Floor 91

-          Faster Than a Dead Horse – Floor 110 – likely to beat their PB of 48th.  Lisa Wells shockingly unique.

-          Finbarr – Veteran picks Ali, Fairlie, Phelan and a bunch of 50/50ers.

-          Going Underground – Another veteran side with a floor of 104 and a few risky obits.

-          Gooseberry Crumble – The titular Crumble has a shock unique with James Lovelock, and GC’s fave Loretta Lynn. Might be the best performing of his 3.

-          Guild of Master Reapers – Low floor 50, but if joker Clive James and a bunch of maybe picks turn up trumps, considerably higher ceiling.

-          GUN Away – Close to the floor already but will clearly nab a number of their less obvious picks. Probably not enough to equal 8th place again.

-          GUN Fishing – Floor 112. If Rister obits or Monsanto Man dies, top 10 finish is on the cards.

-          Heading Nowhere – With a floor of 138 and both Rister and Monsanto Man, Chorizo is a huge contender to win. To say nowt of his usual FFBI pick, Noel Conway or currently recovering from emergency surgery John Andretti…

-          I’m Sorry for your Trouble- Toast’s floor is 67, but has a number of possibly cany picks – Katharine Whitehorn for example.

-          Jackie Treehorn – Floor 75, with some… random other picks.

-          John Key’s Choices – With a floor of 104, and some forum favourites (Vervoort, Turnbull, Le Duc Anh) you’d expect this team to comfortably beat its PB of 94th. If gambles on Bendre and Clive James come off, maybe even top 30.

-          Lard  Bazaar – Picked Diana Athill, unlike the DL, or TCD. Clarissa Eden and Gaston Glock feel like good picks for this team.

-          Life Flies By So Fast – Another team in the 80+ points column.

-          Madonna’s Hand of Bod – Floor 79.

-          Manuel’s Stiffs – Best team yet on paper for long term outsiders, 50th in 2013. Floor of 102, with again Turnbull, James, Ginsburg. Could well see top 20.

-          Neither There Nor Thereabout – Nice unique pick with Matthew Watkins.

-          Nicked but Not Dead – Floor 58, but most of these names were dropped for a reason…

-          Once You Go Black – Floor 80. With joker Frates, Alagiah/Turnbulll/Vervoort, etc to really boost that one upwards. Newcomer. One of us?

-          P@F Deathlist – Floor 66, lots of gambles. One to watch.

-          Pedro’s Catacomb Dwellers – Floor 50+ but lots of interesting unique and gambles.

-          People I Think Might Die in 2019 United – Floor 60

-          Pity Da Foolz – The champions have a floor of 130, plus some Drop 40 picks like Mugabe and Vervort. Top 10 finish at worst imo. Have we found a new Spade/DDT figure?

-          Plan B from Outer Space – With a floor of 90, might even beat Drols A-team….

-          Poochie – 114 floor, as expected for one of the regularly good sides. Went for Doddie Weir early.

-          Predictor – Floor 61.

-          Propheticum per prophetam – Floor 92, and some likely but unconfirmable pick – Wouk Barker, etc.

-          Shaun of the Dead – Floor 64, but a reliance on gamble picks may turn up trump like his joker already has.

-          Smart Beta List – Floor 97, likely to be higher if Wilson/Dewar/Wilson obit. Is this team Spade in disguise?

-          Southerners Stiffs – Floor 72. Rad will be narked if someone else gets unique points for sandy Alderson.

-          Sovereign-Reaper – Floor 81

-          Still Life – Floor 103, and the popular 50/50ers so sleeper to do well.

-          Beatles Are dying in the Wrong Order – Floor 118. James/Robinson/Frates on top, so likely to be a contender.

-          End of the World as We Know It – Floor 82.

-          Heeflich Manoeuver – Floor 74.

-          Living End – With a floor of 126, some DDT style gambits (surely the annual terrorist has to go one day too?), the GOAT should return to the top 10. Samu and Hoyle route into title contention.

-          Love Boat – 128 floor for Reptile with a number of very good uniques that can boost that score upwards, including David Smith and the class pick Paul Volcker. Also Nugroho and Woodcock there, again top 10 with potential to win the whole thing.

-          Misers – Floor 120. The vets could be rolling back the clocks here.

-          Skinny Kiltrunner – Floor 79, but the points of the pick I don’t think will get the QO would bring another 33 points, then there’s the risky joker. High flying or bust with this team.

-          Thomas Jefferson Survives – DI hates when I predict him to do well, as it’s the kiss of death. Stop coming up with good teams then! Hah. Floor 156, btw. And that’s not counting his high risk unique, all likely to die but QO is a risk. Or Nugroho. Or Clive James! The team to beat.

-          To Kill a Gabor Sister – Just missed out on the top ten in 2018, but another with a floor of 120, with the Rister/Lewis/Freehan QO risks too. A legit contender, then.

-          Twenty Little Roosters – Floor 49, with lots of older picks.

-          UTC – With the floor of 70 and the possibility that rapper might get stabbed, will surely smash their personal best of 120th.

-          Wormer etc – Floor 91.

Which produces from 500 down to 90... a list of 15 "teams to watch" for the title.

The points is a rough estimate based on likelihood of various popular picks (ie Trintignant, Fairlie, etc), but a ball park, not exact. Also the (plus) are names to watch for dying if this particular team is going to do better than projected.

1.       TJS – c 156 (plus 3 uniques and Nugroho)

2.       Heading Nowhere c. 138 (plus Rister/Johnson/Conway…)

3.       Bleaching the Bottom of the Barrel c. 130 (plus P-orridge)

4.       Pity da Foolz c. 130 (plus Vervoort?)

5.       Droller Coaser c. 130 (plus Smullen, Heine, Hadlee)

6.       Day in the Death c 129 (plus Capon, Samu)

7.       Love Boat c. 128 (plus Smith/Volcker/Nugroho/Woodcock)

8.       Living End c. 126 (plus Hoyle)

9.       To Kill a Gabor Sister c. 120  (+ Rister/Lewis/Freehan)

10.   Misers c. 120

11.   Beatles are Dying in Wrong Order c 118 (plus James/Robinson/Frates?)

12.   Poochie c.114

13.   GUN Fishing c. 112 (plus Rister/Johnson)

14.   Cancel My Appointments c. 110 (plus Howard)

15.   12 Lords… c 105 (plus Phelan, Weir, Turnbull, Alagiah)

Note - I think other teams have higher "floors" (ie likely ballpark for lowest points tally, keeping in mind folk always outlive the best DDP prognosi...) but Willz's 20 has better potential for growth on top of that number. Imo, of course.

Now that I have successfully jinxed DI for the 5th year running....

Dark horses this year? Clorox.  I guess Chorizo too, but he already was 2nd...

• Like 7