Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

Just wow, msc, dedication to the cause.

You might be flattering my main team. Death and newspapers will have to be particularly unkind, but thanks for considering me...;)

• Like 1

On 14/01/2019 at 03:31, Sir Creep said:

What do you think his odds are of a QO?

Well Marie Colvin got one. :) 

He was nominated for an award for his reports from inside Syria, and while he's sort of safe inside Turkey right now,  I suspect as a journalist out there, he might well put himself in harm's way.  If he died of illness, I'd say there'd be no chance of an obit, but if the press is willing to report on him not getting a visa, I think they'll report it if he gets blown up.

If he does get killed, and those ungrateful bastards don't at least mention it, thus giving him a QO, then I hope he comes back and haunts the lot of them.

Having said that, I'll admit he was a last minute addition to a theme team, and I'm not likely to choose him next year, when he's more forgotten and I've had more time to research. :) 

3 hours ago, msc said:

-          Living End – With a floor of 126, some DDT style gambits (surely the annual terrorist has to go one day too?)

Exactly!  I've got high hopes for this year's terrorist effort, Amer Deghayes.  Young, unique and would definitely obit, that would be eighteen DDP points if he'd oblige.   I'm following developments in Idlib (where's he's holed up, surrounded by Russians) with great interest.  :ph34r:

51 minutes ago, CharonsCrew said:

Well Marie Colvin got one. :) 

He was nominated for an award for his reports from inside Syria, and while he's sort of safe inside Turkey right now,  I suspect as a journalist out there, he might well put himself in harm's way.  If he died of illness, I'd say there'd be no chance of an obit, but if the press is willing to report on him not getting a visa, I think they'll report it if he gets blown up.

If he does get killed, and those ungrateful bastards don't at least mention it, thus giving him a QO, then I hope he comes back and haunts the lot of them.

Having said that, I'll admit he was a last minute addition to a theme team, and I'm not likely to choose him next year, when he's more forgotten and I've had more time to research. :) 

He surely obit if he died during his work or in otherwise suspicious circumstances. Obviously not as big coverage of Maire Colvin but he get in the Guardian at least.

• Like 1

My theme team pick Kato Havas has died, and it was published yesterday. However, it turns out she died on the 31st of December. Is my sub Zubin Metha coming in or am I out of luck?

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

My theme team pick Kato Havas has died, and it was published yesterday. However, it turns out she died on the 31st of December. Is my sub Zubin Metha coming in or am I out of luck?

Not totally out of luck — you’ve considerably more luck than Kato Havas.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

If her death was unreported before now, then sadly she falls under "died in 2018" rules.

• Sad 1

On 15/01/2019 at 19:26, msc said:

-          Smart Beta List – Floor 97, likely to be higher if Wilson/Dewar/Wilson obit. Is this team Spade in disguise? 

Come on, has anyone in DDP history ever screamed "DQSP Joker" as much as Tyler Trent?

41 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Come on, has anyone in DDP history ever screamed "DQSP Joker" as much as Tyler Trent?

Hassan Asif.

I will maintain your 20/20 hindsight is acute but otherwise full of poi.  I’ll await more 2019 epiphanies as they emerge.

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I admit,  if Spade had played, I would have picked Trent.

Probably instead of P-Orridge.

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I admit,  if Spade had played, I would have picked Trent.

Probably instead of P-Orridge.

"Because Spade was playing" was pretty much why I went for Paul Briggs in 2017.

On 01/01/2019 at 22:24, DevonDeathTrip said:

The way I see it, someone becomes famous in your own mind if they're ill enough for consideration; the illness trumps everything else.  Subsequently, gravely unwell Australian sci-fi novelists, niche Bollywood film directors, obscure rock climbers, etc find themselves on your shortlist when they really have no business being there.

Might need to add 'highly regarded sommeliers' to that list soon. :huh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Might need to add 'highly regarded sommeliers' to that list soon. :huh:

He only died yesterday. I think he’ll likely get something from the Telegraph or Guardian in about two weeks or so...

Just now, Spade_Cooley said:

Mick Hucknall tweeted about his death, he'll be fine.

Ah, his obit will be simply read.....:lol:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There are better Bassets out there with better noses.

Image result for basset hound

• Haha 2

It's great seeing the bios getting added. Wow! Some awesome picks by everyone. I noticed that two teams seem to be theme teams but are not designated as such: The Fat Lady's Singing appears to be all opera singers and The South Shall Rise Again appears to be people from the Southern Hemisphere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

It's great seeing the bios getting added. Wow! Some awesome picks by everyone. I noticed that two teams seem to be theme teams but are not designated as such: The Fat Lady's Singing appears to be all opera singers and The South Shall Rise Again appears to be people from the Southern Hemisphere.

Time To Take Out The Trash looks to maybe be an undesignated theme team as well. Delightful group of people on it. Yeah, some interesting new picks this year. This game is very educational.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CharonsCrew said:

This game is very educational

26FPGI3ZgduhYYVTa.gif

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

26FPGI3ZgduhYYVTa.gif

Do you think I should show it to my younger kid's teacher? She always seems to be interested in ideas for lesson plans, and themes for the crayoning sessions.

As it is going now, subtitle should be changed to "Death does not happen, therefore is not interesting".

Extremely petty of me to bring this up, but it's been bugging my OCD-riddled ass for a while. My team is listed as having a best placing of ''13th (2018)'', but 'twas actually "=11th (2017)''. 

Anyway, this had me thinking that maybe a section called "Last year's score'' could be added to team's descriptions as well. I would be willing to collect that information and send it to you, if that's realistic.

But I dunno, I guess it's a bad idea cause you'd still have to enter all that info manually, and it would probably just make the team descriptions look cluttered if an extra section is added. :scratchhead:

14 hours ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Extremely petty of me to bring this up, but it's been bugging my OCD-riddled ass for a while. My team is listed as having a best placing of ''13th (2018)'', but 'twas actually "=11th (2017)''. 

Anyway, this had me thinking that maybe a section called "Last year's score'' could be added to team's descriptions as well. I would be willing to collect that information and send it to you, if that's realistic.

But I dunno, I guess it's a bad idea cause you'd still have to enter all that info manually, and it would probably just make the team descriptions look cluttered if an extra section is added. :scratchhead:

Speaking of DDP descriptions, I had to look up Steve Beaton to see if I'd been insulted.  After reading his wiki, I decided it was a compliment.

• Like 2