Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

I entered Scottish actor James Martin for my B-Team, not to be confused with twatty chef James Martin. Terribly sorry.

• Like 1

Lessie Brown was America's oldest person, not world's.

Plus Babiker Awadalla for the List of the Lost.

Btw,  a belated thanks to Spade now I've noticed it.  Twigged Ignacio Trelles was my first sub for the Rafferty team. Who didn't make it? Well, alas the great historian David Fieldhouse died in October 2018. Bar one mention on Jesus College's website, completely off the radar (to the point my finding this out has surprised some of his actual former colleagues). Mea culpa for assuming that one of the most highly regarded British historians of the 20th Century would get a proper Times/Telegraph/Guardian/anything notice, or I'd hear from folk who knew, and thus just did a cursory check in late December.

I guess Andrew Fairlie becomes my first ever hit in the DDP.  A 'rejected' pick in the alt.obituaries one. Also means rejigging my planned Deathlist Cup team.  I suspect I'm not the only one. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

I guess Andrew Fairlie becomes my first ever hit in the DDP.  A 'rejected' pick in the alt.obituaries one. Also means rejigging my planned Deathlist Cup team.  I suspect I'm not the only one. 

First of many, I'd assume. Congrates.

(And Cup subs are a fairly common thing...)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

First of many, I'd assume. Congrates.

(And Cup subs are a fairly common thing...)

Thank you.

Crikey, the celebs are going down like ninepins this month!

Can we say record year yet? ;)

Hi Spade, re my pick Amer Deghayes, just to clarify that he's this chap, aged 28 or 29.  The DDP description is for his more famous uncle Omar Deghayes.

Thought I'd better mention it before the Syrian-Russian assault on Idlib begins (or, I suppose, Deghayes the elder gets diagnosed with something terminal)

• Like 1

On 17/01/2019 at 20:55, msc said:

Phew!

Deserved honour for a great man, I think we can all agree.

Oesuphugus cancer; caused by drinking too much alcohol over a long period of time.

He could have cured that decades ago by picking a better profession.

14 hours ago, Deathray said:

Oesuphugus cancer; caused by drinking too much alcohol over a long period of time.

He could have cured that decades ago by picking a better profession.

Or smoking weed

Only mentioning it because I noticed the list of dead names being updated without him, but Bob Woodward, the founder of the CLIC Sargent charity who’s a DDP pick for Researched to Death is dead at 85 with a QO

Might I say, Researched To Death is a fantastic team name.

• Like 1

This is the first year I submitted multiple theme teams to the Derby Dead Pool -- the Grim Reaper's been a busy egalitarian this month, taking one each from my lists.

Question, just out of curiosity. The sad story of Emiliano Sala made me wonder about the rules covering people who go missing. Nobody chose him, but I was wondering what would happen in a case like his.

The only rule I can see on the subject is that people who go missing "can only score points if their death is confirmed as happening in 2019 and not before, so don't bother picking Jimmy Hoffa." :) And since it says "death is confirmed", that rules out celebrities who just disappear, and could reasonably still be alive somewhere, and turn up again in a year or so.

But there's no question of Mr Sala having died last year. His plane appears to have crashed into the sea, although there's no actual evidence of that. The search has been called off, and presumably the authorities might allow an inquest and possibly a declaration of death. (I don't know how long the family would have to wait, but apparently the 'seven year' rule is waived in circumstances like this, where the missing person is believed to have been in a plane crash.) So what counts as "death is confirmed"? Would it count if death is almost certain, (missing in a disaster), or does there need to be something like an inquest and declaration of death, or is it strictly "if there's no physical evidence of death, then death can't be confirmed"?

And does it make a difference that they haven't found any wreckage, and therefore have no actual proof the plane crashed, even though circumstances make it almost certain? (There is evidence that he got on the plane, and it took off.)

Hope nobody minds all the questions, apologies if you do. I'm just curious. It's very sad anyway. RIP Mr Sala, I'm sorry that (apparently) happened to you.

On 23/01/2019 at 12:47, maryportfuncity said:

Or smoking weed

Smoking is also a risk factor for oesophageal Ca. But then so is drinking excessively hot tea or coffee...

The end result of such analyses, as always, is that life will eventually give you cancer, assuming you don't die some other way first. 

44 minutes ago, CharonsCrew said:

Question, just out of curiosity. The sad story of Emiliano Sala made me wonder about the rules covering people who go missing. Nobody chose him, but I was wondering what would happen in a case like his.

The only rule I can see on the subject is that people who go missing "can only score points if their death is confirmed as happening in 2019 and not before, so don't bother picking Jimmy Hoffa." :) And since it says "death is confirmed", that rules out celebrities who just disappear, and could reasonably still be alive somewhere, and turn up again in a year or so.

We have precedent on this.  If the person was missing prior to entry, they are presumed dead and ineligible (see dead country singer a couple years back, lost on hunting trip).  If they would become missing during the year, you'd best come up with a QO like for anyone else.  I think it's pretty straightforward.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CharonsCrew said:

But there's no question of Mr Sala having died last year. His plane appears to have crashed into the sea, although there's no actual evidence of that. The search has been called off, and presumably the authorities might allow an inquest and possibly a declaration of death. (I don't know how long the family would have to wait, but apparently the 'seven year' rule is waived in circumstances like this, where the missing person is believed to have been in a plane crash.) So what counts as "death is confirmed"? Would it count if death is almost certain, (missing in a disaster), or does there need to be something like an inquest and declaration of death, or is it strictly "if there's no physical evidence of death, then death can't be confirmed"?

And does it make a difference that they haven't found any wreckage, and therefore have no actual proof the plane crashed, even though circumstances make it almost certain? (There is evidence that he got on the plane, and it took off.)

Hope nobody minds all the questions, apologies if you do. I'm just curious. It's very sad anyway. RIP Mr Sala, I'm sorry that (apparently) happened to you.

Check out the Steve Fossett thread for more debate about this.   My understanding, probably wrong, is that a body is needed for points.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

We have precedent on this.  If the person was missing prior to entry, they are presumed dead and ineligible (see dead country singer a couple years back, lost on hunting trip).  If they would become missing during the year, you'd best come up with a QO like for anyone else.  I think it's pretty straightforward.

Thanks. So in that case, it would just needs a QO then. If the Guardian or whoever decide to refer to a missing person as deceased, and it's obvious they weren't dead last year, then points would be awarded regardless of actual proof of death. But if the Guardian just keeps saying they're missing, it doesn't count? OK thanks, makes sense.

13 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Check out the Steve Fossett thread for more debate about this.   My understanding, probably wrong, is that a body is needed for points.

OK thanks, I'll check it out.

Read through it - yes, they say points weren't awarded in his case when he was simply missing before any parts of him were found, even though there was possibly a QO by the sounds of it. So you need a body. Thanks!

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 02:01, msc said:

I want some sleep before posting Pan Breed, but here's a un spoilery Theme Team:

THEME TEAM

Whatever's Written on your Death (That's All That Matters)

THEME - People who, should they die in 2019, I'd like to see a Spade Cooley obit for.

Harley Race (joker) -

Stan Cosgrove - Shergar's doctor

Dietrich Weise - The German football coach

Brian Glanville  - sports journo

Hugh McIlvanney - legendary sports writer

Anne Perry - murderer turned author

Arnold Yarrow- actor

Lawrence Gordon Clark - director of the Ghost Stories for Christmas

Vernon Dobtcheff

David Kenneth Fieldhouse - historian

Aaron Beck - CBT guy

Dick Taverne - politicoo

Derren Nesbitt - alcoholic wife beating actor

Sir Michael Atiyah

Donald Pelmear - aging actor

Piper Laurie - Carrie's mum

Andrew Davies - the TV writer

Lorraine Warren - ghost hunter

Andre Maranne - French actor, Pink Panther etc

David Berglas - magician

subs

Ignacio Trelles

James Garbutt

David H Murdock

Hugh McIlvanney is dead. Times Obit: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hugh-mcilvanney-doyen-of-sports-journalism-dies-at-84-xgh7whl96

With Fatima Ali's death, I am at 4 hits.

That's the first time I've gotten 4 hits in a month, and I was hoping that would happen, since I've already gotten 3 in a month several times. Wonder if I can make it 5? :scratchhead: Okay, okay, I won't get greedy. :D

Up to 7th place now.

Slowly making a climb, but it's very early days so doesn't mean much. I am feeling a bit more optimistic about my performance, though.