Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

Really like the Athill and McIlvanney obits on the front page. Good work.

• Like 1

Seems to have been a correction to the place of death of Windsor Davies, who apparently died in St Helier and not France:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

And so ends GUN Away's title campaign.

'The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long.' Lao Tzu

(fun while it lasted)

Maxine Brown, picked in 2017, needs to be added to the list of the missed...

On 11/01/2019 at 07:13, Sir Creep said:

How is Lloyd Klein a unique?  He has 6 months to live if his new meds don't work out (last word was he is seeing some positive signs -- but still).  He and Trintignant were literally my last two cuts.

Well doesn't look like Lloyd Klein will be going anywhere soon...

I seriously cannot comprehend why anyone would ask that ugly hag for advice on plastic surgery

• Like 1

I don't know...I'm kind of happy that it seems to be true that he actually WAS very ill. And it's not some kind of media whore exaggeration. But he's a bit ...delusional, and not just about his health. He (not his doctors!) declares himself cancer-free, yet he has two more years of chemo. True, it's not looking like he fulfills his doctors' prediction of 6 months to live which would take him to right now. But I think there is a small chance of a Charles Bradley-esque downturn. And it'll be worth watching him in the next years. This recurrence already almost killed him, the next one will be fatal.

Hmm. Noticed now there are two entries for Peter Bonetti. Also Peter Tapsell died August 2018.

• Like 2

Has The Guardian cut funding for obituary writers? They've only published eight "fresh" obits in the past 10 days. Could be a big issue for those looking to score points off Graun-friendly figures (world musicians, trade union reps, etc).

12 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Has The Guardian cut funding for obituary writers? They've only published eight "fresh" obits in the past 10 days. Could be a big issue for those looking to score points off Graun-friendly figures (world musicians, trade union reps, etc).

Holidays?

Are the list of the lost and missed going to be used this year or have they been scrapped?

Something I've noticed is that when you google the DDP, the subheadings in the result (scoreboard, team selections etc) take you to the 2018 pages.

Don't know if that can be fixed.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Are the list of the lost and missed going to be used this year or have they been scrapped?

They are, we're just getting the base of the site sorted out first. I've processed around 900 bios and DOBs in the past month, should have that completely done soon.

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

Something I've noticed is that when you google the DDP, the subheadings in the result (scoreboard, team selections etc) take you to the 2018 pages.

Don't know if that can be fixed.

SEO issue which I really should look at at some point. It's weird because you kinda don't want the DDP to be massively googleable, but it should be better than it currently is. Lemme think on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/01/2019 at 15:00, Spade_Cooley said:

Dunno, but it'd be ironic if the lack of action is down to a death amongst their own obits team, eh?

Though I can't find it now, I remember last year a team (maybe Not gone yet, but still forgotten) picked a very obscure Mongolian historian born around 1921 and I could not find anything about him. Well, a Mogolian historian aged 98 has died on January 16th. Is that him? Probably the most obscure pick in DDP history.

The Mongolian picked last year was Bochijn Baast. Which translates to Mongol as "Бохийн Бааст".  Which appears to be the name of the guy in this article. Well spotted.

3 hours ago, drol said:

. Is that him? Probably the most obscure pick in DDP history.

Challenge accepted.

Here's a first-draft List of the Lost page. Built into the Wordpress function of the site, rather than the HTML-generated method of old. Should theoretically be easier to maintain, although those are famous last words. Thoughts? Should I bring back the list of accepted QO sources at the top so people can cross-reference?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Challenge accepted.

You will never out-obscure Not Gone Yet, But Still Forgotten. Their assorted Sanmarinese trade union officials, privy counsellors from Tristan da Cunha and king consorts from African tribes that don't even have a Wikipedia entry is the gold standard.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Here's a first-draft List of the Lost page. Built into the Wordpress function of the site, rather than the HTML-generated method of old. Should theoretically be easier to maintain, although those are famous last words. Thoughts? Should I bring back the list of accepted QO sources at the top so people can cross-reference?

I think it would be helpful to put the acceptable QO’s on there. Otherwise, all good. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

You will never out-obscure Not Gone Yet, But Still Forgotten. Their assorted Sanmarinese trade union officials, privy counsellors from Tristan da Cunha and king consorts from African tribes that don't even have a Wikipedia entry is the gold standard.

Well ok there’s something to be said for being obscure while maintaining a slim hope of a QO.  So you’re right, I wouldn’t throw away a pick.

Welp, I excluded McGahan on the basis that he wouldn't obit. This was my major 'make or break'  punt for 2019.

Now that he did obit, I don't think I have a shot in hell of winning this year (not that I expected to).

Congrats to those who did pick him! Which is - err, all of youze. :D

I now fall to =16th place, tied with Dead Cow and Sir Creep. Both of those teams will make big improvements compared to last year, imho.

Creep, I think, will have his best year yet, even better than 2016.