Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

22 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-47893592

Here we go a qualifying obituary for Rex Garrod 

Aye, it was nailed-on from the Beeb, surely. Even in the height of a Brexit crisis - I go from moribund to mildly awake in DDP terms.

• Like 1

Something the person who takes over from me (we really should get some names together soon) has to look forward to: sitting waiting for some lazy British journo to C+P the AFP obit for Bibi Andersson so I can update the site and go to bed.

Also, the List of the Missed is taking an absolute pounding. Seven people in the last nine days.

1 hour ago, Dr_T said:

Kathleen Blanco might be moving into scoring position.

https://www.wbrz.com/news/former-governor-kathleen-blanco-under-hospice-care/

OOhhh

My two remaining dead pool teams have points riding on her

On 12/03/2019 at 12:41, marinade said:

And vice versa!

I see I have (I think) my first unique hit in 11 years of DDPing.

• Like 2

Just noticed on the DDP website that my pick on my theme team Robert Lindley links to the actor and not the politician.politician.I did differentiate all my picks birth years to avoid confusion in my entry.. 

On 28/04/2019 at 16:01, Sean said:

Just noticed on the DDP website that my pick on my theme team Robert Lindley links to the actor and not the politician.politician.I did differentiate all my picks birth years to avoid confusion in my entry.. 

Will sort this. There's always an issue when the picks are already in the database rather than just being added.

Congrats to Dead Ends for becoming the April Team of the Month, btw.

• Like 1

msc's non-obit theme team now has 7 non-obits and 1 premature death (Tanya Gendle).

The record here is Shameless 2016 with 8 non-obits and 1 premature death (cancer dad XYZ).

Getting close... 

10 hours ago, gcreptile said:

msc's non-obit theme team now has 7 non-obits and 1 premature death (Tanya Gendle).

The record here is Shameless 2016 with 8 non-obits and 1 premature death (cancer dad XYZ).

Getting close... 

Don’t be daft.

That would be like some baseball player intentionally trying to strike out every at bat and declaring him the most strikeouts ever.  

11 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Getting close... 

Tbh - this is artistry for its own sake and admirable if somewhat cultish as a skill.

Not that too many of you hereabouts are footy die-hards but...Carlisle once had a midfielder (fairly classy by second tier standards) called Don O'Riordan who would commit serious fouls almost at random and quite often when little was at stake on the pitch. Most of the time he just played very well. The point being, Don got a reputation as a man given to fouling for the sheer artistry of the act and those of us paying money to watch greatly enjoyed the shock and indignation of the visiting fans when it happened  (this is the eighties, he's not on telly, the opposition fans often don't expect it). I'd say attempting deadpooling for maximum deaths and minimum points is along the same lines.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Don’t be daft.

That would be like some baseball player intentionally trying to strike out every at bat and declaring him the most strikeouts ever.  

Not quite the right metaphor.  To me, it is more like trying to deliberately hit fouls to break the record for the longest at bat.

After all, the endeavour takes some level of skill to identify these poor unfortunates who are going to die but don't have the requisite level of fame.  But at the end of the day it is in itself, pointless.

Most things are pointless, the skill is in amusing yourself in the interim,  I find.

Tbh, I spent 10 seconds coming up with the team name, and then the rest of the time finding names as an excuse to use the name. It failed because it was trying to guess folks dodgy punt picks, and wound up with a bunch of uniques instead, but so it goes.  Just harmless fluff.

PS Saying that, a good chuckle seeing it ranked above 500 other teams!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Most things are pointless, the skill is in amusing yourself in the interim,  I find.

Tbh, I spent 10 seconds coming up with the team name, and then the rest of the time finding names as an excuse to use the name. It failed because it was trying to guess folks dodgy punt picks, and wound up with a bunch of uniques instead, but so it goes.  Just harmless fluff.

PS Saying that, a good chuckle seeing it ranked above 500 other teams!

To be honest, the whole thing is quite pointless really isn't it?  while it can be quite random, it is interesting to follow your team to see where the bar is on who obits and who doesn't. 

Johan Witteveen's Obit made me chuckle.

Okay it's May 5th and I've not had a hit since late January... this is my slowest DDP start ever.

Will this year be a dud for me, or can I still catch up? Here's some self-analysis.

John Andretti: The cancer has returned... again... and I doubt he'll be able to shake it off again. But he may still sneak into the new year. 60%

Samu Anoa'i: Advanced liver cancer, needs transplant, etc. Benefit event will be held for him later this month. Tough one to judge. 50%

Susan Bayh: Looked okay at her father-in-law's memorial and is still responding well to treatment. But 8 more months with glio is a tough ask. 70%

Kathleen Blanco: Been in hospice for three weeks now. My only dead-cert. 100%

Johnny Clegg: According to South African Twitter he's been unable to attend events and is more seriously ill. He's a goner, I think. 95%

Tim Conway: Old and demented... but so was Nobby last year, and he's still with us. 50%

Jason deLisle: No updates that I could find since early last year. Last we know he has stage 3 colon cancer, which may have advanced by now, but probably still treatable. 20%

Barry du Bois: Cancer slowly progressing, but he still looks fine. More next year than this year, imho. 40%

Bill Freehan: See Tim Conway. 50%

Clive James: Recently had emergency surgery on fast-progressing tumors. Frail and nearing 80. This could finally be his time, but I'm not getting my hopes up. 50%

Lee Kerslake: Supposed to be dead by the autumn, but you never know, prostate cancer isn't that bad compared to most cancers. 65%

Karen Lewis: Still tweeting away, mostly coherently. No longer makes public appearances. Stroke complications and glioblastoma. 70%

Sacheen Littlefeather: Looked good in a recent photo. 30%

Fernando Ricksen (JOKER): ALS hospice, getting worse and worse, looking worse and worse. Decently high chance at a joker score. 80%

Fred Rister: Apparently not as bad shape as we thought. The cancer isn't very advanced. So more Philomena Lynott treatment-refusal than John McCain treatment-refusal-and-dies-the-next-day. 40%

Jean Louis Trintignant: Another treatment-refuser who keeps on living. Although he is older than Rister and his cancer seems more advanced. But could still pull a Lynott. Who knows. 70%

• Like 3

On 01/05/2019 at 11:26, Spade_Cooley said:

Congrats to Dead Ends for becoming the April Team of the Month, btw.

Thanks!

After a slow start this year I seem to be coming up along the rails...

17 hours ago, RadGuy said:

Okay it's May 5th and I've not had a hit since late January... this is my slowest DDP start ever.

Will this year be a dud for me, or can I still catch up? Here's some self-analysis.

John Andretti: The cancer has returned... again... and I doubt he'll be able to shake it off again. But he may still sneak into the new year. 60%

Samu Anoa'i: Advanced liver cancer, needs transplant, etc. Benefit event will be held for him later this month. Tough one to judge. 50%

Susan Bayh: Looked okay at her father-in-law's memorial and is still responding well to treatment. But 8 more months with glio is a tough ask. 70%

Kathleen Blanco: Been in hospice for three weeks now. My only dead-cert. 100%

Johnny Clegg: According to South African Twitter he's been unable to attend events and is more seriously ill. He's a goner, I think. 95%

Tim Conway: Old and demented... but so was Nobby last year, and he's still with us. 50%

Jason deLisle: No updates that I could find since early last year. Last we know he has stage 3 colon cancer, which may have advanced by now, but probably still treatable. 20%

Barry du Bois: Cancer slowly progressing, but he still looks fine. More next year than this year, imho. 40%

Bill Freehan: See Tim Conway. 50%

Clive James: Recently had emergency surgery on fast-progressing tumors. Frail and nearing 80. This could finally be his time, but I'm not getting my hopes up. 50%

Lee Kerslake: Supposed to be dead by the autumn, but you never know, prostate cancer isn't that bad compared to most cancers. 65%

Karen Lewis: Still tweeting away, mostly coherently. No longer makes public appearances. Stroke complications and glioblastoma. 70%

Sacheen Littlefeather: Looked good in a recent photo. 30%

Fernando Ricksen (JOKER): ALS hospice, getting worse and worse, looking worse and worse. Decently high chance at a joker score. 80%

Fred Rister: Apparently not as bad shape as we thought. The cancer isn't very advanced. So more Philomena Lynott treatment-refusal than John McCain treatment-refusal-and-dies-the-next-day. 40%

Jean Louis Trintignant: Another treatment-refuser who keeps on living. Although he is older than Rister and his cancer seems more advanced. But could still pull a Lynott. Who knows. 70%

We have a few (surviving) picks in common and I'm with you on their chances. Ricksen surely is more than 80% to go this year, mind.

5 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

We have a few (surviving) picks in common and I'm with you on their chances. Ricksen surely is more than 80% to go this year, mind.

ALS survival can vary widely, of course, but I wouldn't start counting points yet for Fernando.  Article says oxygen, but more likely mechanical ventilation ( perhaps with supplemental O2).  The fact that he has gone this long, and is only now beginning to use a ventilator, and part time at that, bodes well for perhaps many more months.  When he has gone to full time ventilation with a trach, then you are getting serious. But look at Gleason, Becker and Brigance to see how long you can survive even then. Becker is still writing music.

Barry du Bois looks very healthy in an ad which is on Australian tv at the moment.  I think the chance of him dying this year is low-I would have 5%.  Here is some information on his condition from the Australian Cancer Council site.

Barry Du BoisBarry Du Bois

I had been putting up with persistent neck pain for months when a trip to the beach changed everything. I was enjoying a Christmas surf with my brother and nephew when, after going under a big wave, I heard a sharp crack in my neck. The sound, and pain that followed, made me realise that this injury was more serious than the building-related ache I had thought it was.

I didn't know it at the time but that crack was the last of my c1 vertebrae caving in. It took another three months of tests to find out that the cause of the snap was actually cancer. I was diagnosed in 2010 with Plasmacytoma Myeloma, a cancer of the immune system which attacks healthy bone marrow and destroyed the vertebra at the top of my spine.

Once the doctors stabilised my neck and I'd had extensive surgery, I started radiotherapy. Being a middle aged, healthy and strong man, I took the highest level of radiotherapy that you can take. This treatment saved my life. I was scheduled to start chemotherapy but at this stage, and we monitor it bi-monthly, I still haven't had to undergo chemotherapy.

The disease is still in my body, it's not something that will go away and I'll never be cured of it, but it's something that me, my wife and my team of doctors will continue to manage for the rest of my life.

image.png

• Sad 1

Why does Southwestern Trains block the DDP for being "tasteless" but not the Deathlist? Are we too real for them?

Who here's up for some sponsored content on the DDP?

I represent a high-performing fragrance developer called Copycat Fragrances, and I’d love to purchase a sponsored post on your website.

Our writers are professional and deliver engaging, SEO-friendly texts that are designed to convert. They can write on any topic and tailor the content to suit your target audience. You can see examples of their style here:https://copycatfragrances.co.uk/blogs/posts/ ).
It’d be ideal if the link was ‘dofollow’, and I’m happy to pay reasonable compensation for the privilege of appearing on your popular blog.

Please let me know if you’d like to discuss things further.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Copycat Fragrances on the DDP?

Beyoncé Heat = Beyond Death.

Calvin Klein Eternity = Calvin Klein For All Eternity.

Elizabeth Taylor = Dead Since 2011.

And of course

Old Spice = Old Corpse.

• Like 2

I’m currently in a pub, and my potential joker pick for next year’s DDP is in here as well. He’s a road racing motorcyclist, with one big win last year. I suspect it’s a farewell drinks do before the NW200 which begins next week.