Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

Ugh, It's been 5 months and still no hit for me. This is has been my driest DDP start since 2009. :banghead:

Will this be a dud year for me or can I still get a hit this year? Here's my self-analysis.

George Alagiah: Stage IV bowel cancer returned last year, outside chance he could see next year. 60%

John Andretti: Cancer returned recently, could still see 2020. 65%

Leah Bracknell: Still hanging on, stage IV cancer slowly progressing. 50%

Beth Chapman: Throat cancer returned last year, but she could easily sneak into the new year. 60%

Kirk Douglas: Increasingly frail, wheelchair bound, nearing 103. 60%

Jill Gascoine: Final stages of Alzheimer's for 3 years, no updates since then. 65%

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Cancer free after recent surgery. More likely to see next year. 25%

Valerie Harper: No health updates I could find since 2017, hasn't appeared on TV or film recently. 45%  

Clive James: Recently had an operation. Frail and near 80. This could actually be the year he goes but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. 50%

Lee Kerslake: Supposedly a goner by the end of the summer, received Ozzy Osbourne's platinum discs back in February. 70%

John McCririck: Supposed to be dead before the summer, but no health updates I could find since October. 65%

Olivia Newton-John: Recently sold her ranch, breast cancer slowly progressing. 60%

Javier Perez de Cuellar: Frail, wheelchair bound, prematurely reported dead last October. 60%

Isabel Peron: No new updates I could find, but nearing 90. 45%

Prince Philip: Retired from his duties two years ago, frail since his car accident in January. 75% 

Fernando Ricksen: ALS, in hospice for months, health getting worse, and looking worse. My only dead cert as of now. 100%

Nobby Stiles: Frail and demented, and still hasn't gone. 50%

Jean Louis-Trintignant: Prostate cancer very advanced, refusing treatment, more likely a goner late summer/early autumn. 75%

Bill Turnbull: Prostate cancer slowly progressing. Could be more next year than this year. 40%

Marieke Vervoort: Will she? Won't she? 40%

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Unknown Man said:

Ugh, It's been 5 months and still no hit for me. This is has been my driest DDP start since 2009. :banghead:

Will this be a dud year for me or can I still get a hit this year? Here's my self-analysis.

Totting up those percentages, you have estimated that 12 of these people (more precisely, 11.6 of these people) will be dead in the next 7 and a half months. Congratulations on your impending turnaround!

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 06:10, gcreptile said:

msc's non-obit theme team now has 7 non-obits and 1 premature death (Tanya Gendle).

The record here is Shameless 2016 with 8 non-obits and 1 premature death (cancer dad XYZ).

Getting close... 

High school football coach WT Johnston puts the non-obits theme level with Shameless: https://www.12newsnow.com/article/news/local/newtons-former-head-football-coach-athletic-director-wt-johnston-dies/502-b3383c36-c4ee-4c42-9df9-577903338dd4

So I set my teams up to topple. Then 2019 came along.....

Image result for toppling dominoes

Oooh exciting - Doris Day a hit for my first ever theme team - wagons roll.....

Honestly thought Conway's death would put TLE back on top, but he didn't pick him...

He was a late cut for me

Anyone keeping up with QOs? It's a bloodbath out there...

None of 'em mine, mind. Ha!

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Anyone keeping up with QOs? It's a bloodbath out there...

None of 'em mine, mind. Ha!

Fay McKenzie, Jack Cohen, Mary Stopes-Roe, Granville Coggs, WT Johnson, Machiko Kyo, Ezra Castro, Tommy Donbavand. That's it at the moment, right?

• Like 1

Machiko Kyo will surely get a Telegraph obit..........................2-3 months from now

• Like 1

WT Johnson was (admittedly deliberately) never going to QO unless he died in early January when his "inspiring speech" was still fresh in the news.

Ezra Castro I thought would get a Mail QO but looks like I was wrong, unless they do his funeral... very small outside chance of a mention in the Guardian's American football coverage when the season kicks off but only if the Bills have a good run

Granville Coggs has probably lost the window for an obit by now.

Fay McKenzie I would assume is getting a Telegraph obit at some point, but I've said that on a few occasions this year and been wrong

Mary Stopes-Roe and Machiko Kyo should have obits within ten days I'd say (Times for the former and Guardian for the latter?)

Jack Cohen I have no idea

Tommy Donbavand should get something being as Scream Street is big with ver kidz, but we'll see.

39 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Tommy Donbavand should get something being as Scream Street is big with ver kidz, but we'll see

I'm beginning to think he isn't going to get one.

I notice there is a new rerun of Scream Street starting on CBBC on Saturday - if they show a tribute to him in the end credits and I get a screen shot does that count as a QO?

I'm thinking it's effectively a BBC written QO?

But I don't want to be watching kids TV on Saturday afternoon if it isn't a QO.:D

• Haha 1

I am not optimistic David Fisher, Jane Baker, Graham Curry.....

Surprising, I think. The outfit "The Bookseller" gave him an obit, which reminded me of Vanessa LaFaye. Does he have anything left to publish?

Day In The Death moves up into third and still has its joker (Ricksen) to play. New favourites?

:(

The death of Bob Hawke takes my team Pity Da Foolz back into the Top 20.  Previously in this forum I said that he was the pick I would change given the chance as he didn't make the Drop 40.  Funnily enough, of my 4 picks who were not either Drop 40 or unique, 3 out of 4 of them have died (Hawke, Fatima Ali, Andrew McGahan), leaving only Fernando Ricksen. 

Looking around the teams I can see I am long odds of repeating last year's win.  I feel like DDP's version of Leicester City.  Go the Foxes.

• Like 2

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:39, Spade_Cooley said:

Fay McKenzie, Jack Cohen, Mary Stopes-Roe, Granville Coggs, WT Johnson, Machiko Kyo, Ezra Castro, Tommy Donbavand. That's it at the moment, right?

You know things are bad in the state of obituary writing when Grumpy Cat gets instant star obituary billing over all of the above. Even freaking WT Johnson, ha!

On 16/05/2019 at 03:19, Spade_Cooley said:

Ezra Castro I thought would get a Mail QO but looks like I was wrong, unless they do his funeral... very small outside chance of a mention in the Guardian's American football coverage when the season kicks off but only if the Bills have a good run

Well, they will honor him at the home opening game, though who knows whether it’ll lead to Mail obit or not. Probably a good chance though

• Like 1

Nan Winton is my first ever unique hit (she's on my theme team). I didn't realize she'd gone, so thanks to whoever did.

I'm sorry she's dead, but I'm glad I chose her for more than just having got the points - I didn't know who she was until I researched my theme team last December, and now she gets a write-up. I'm pleased she's getting the attention.

Funny thing is, I almost didn't include her, because I wasn't sure if she was still alive. She was the only one on my team I couldn't verify as still living, and I was considering dropping her from my team next year for that reason......:)

I liked Nan Winton as a pick, sort of classy pick that elevates the DDP imho.

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:19, Spade_Cooley said:

Granville Coggs has probably lost the window for an obit by now.

Mary Stopes-Roe and Machiko Kyo should have obits within ten days I'd say (Times for the former and Guardian for the latter?)

Ah the Joys of going for unique picks.

Granville was a long shot (good book, Soaring inspiration ), but thought Mary would be no problem due to Her life/Dad,/Husband. Not looking good now me thinks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7071197/Rolf-Harris-lives-recluse-9M-house-looking-dying-wife-61-years.html

Should articles written by Daily Mail Australia, using Aussie references to cover British facts, be eligible to be a QO? They written by Australians in Australia I believe - there only Britishness is sharing the server with Mail Online.

Yes, because they're in the Daily Mail, a QO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Yes, because they're in the Daily Mail, a QO.

Mail Online consider themselves a separate entity to the Daily Mail through really it's the same as the different divisions of BBC news.