Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

On 23/05/2019 at 02:08, Spade_Cooley said:

I liked Nan Winton as a pick, sort of classy pick that elevates the DDP imho.

Thank you. She was a classy lady, I agree. RIP.

I

On 16/05/2019 at 09:19, Spade_Cooley said:

WT Johnson was (admittedly deliberately) never going to QO unless he died in early January when his "inspiring speech" was still fresh in the news.

Ezra Castro I thought would get a Mail QO but looks like I was wrong, unless they do his funeral... very small outside chance of a mention in the Guardian's American football coverage when the season kicks off but only if the Bills have a good run

Granville Coggs has probably lost the window for an obit by now.

Fay McKenzie I would assume is getting a Telegraph obit at some point, but I've said that on a few occasions this year and been wrong

Mary Stopes-Roe and Machiko Kyo should have obits within ten days I'd say (Times for the former and Guardian for the latter?)

Jack Cohen I have no idea

Tommy Donbavand should get something being as Scream Street is big with ver kidz, but we'll see.

And Machiko Kyo gets her obit in the Guardian.... 11 days later.

• Like 1

I am going to propose that Last Word should be added to QO rules in the  (in the  unlikely event a subject is covered without any other qualifying obituary but could happen - especially towards the end of each year when such a QO might not appear.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Followed in rapid order by a Telegraph obit for Jack Cohen.

Hmm, had some dealings and a couple of curries with Jack over the years - fairly prominent and outspoken presence at UFO conferences and the like.

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm, had some dealings and a couple of curries with Jack over the years - fairly prominent and outspoken presence at UFO conferences and the like.

You attend UFO conferences and the like?

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

You attend UFO conferences and the like?

And you tell jokes with a straight face - respect!

Incidentally, re the UFO conferences

A couple of points

1 - They were WAY better before the internet (which has allowed every paranoid case to wind up every other paranoid case and greatly reduced the level of intelligent debate and also the bums on seats who now attend in lower numbers because they can get all they want without having to buy a ticket or travel to a city they don't usually visit)

2 - A recent Fortean Times article told those of us who have lengthy involvement in this area summat we - sort of - knew already which was that some of the more academic and intelligent debate based conferences were infiltrated by the security services for years. The IUN meetings in Sheffield being a particular magnet for such spooks. In all probability nothing to do with them trying to protect secrets about crashed craft in high security hangers but a lot to do with them discovering some of the more ardent UFO hunters had a habit of sneaking into restricted areas for a nose around and - therefore - probably needed watching in case they sparked security alerts and the discharging of firearms.

Not currently holding a ticket to any forthcoming get together on this subject but if I was gonna buy one I might head to Scotland this year - https://scottishufoandparanormalconference.wordpress.com/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Add Leah Chase to List of the Missed. I played her on my theme team Die You On The Bayou a few years back.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-7095873/Legendary-Queen-Creole-Cuisine-Leah-Chase-dies-96.html

Indeed you did: http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2014/celebs_C.html#chasel

On 26/05/2019 at 11:41, Spade_Cooley said:

DDP's gonna go the same way unless we get a new gamerunner by December 31st...

Surely the simplest solution to this (as has already been suggested many many times) is turning it into a committee run thing with several members working on it.

Grab interested parties into a TeamViewer group off one persons PC to do the donkey work between them. Takes stress of the single host whose had to run it most years and totally free assuming no profit is generated at any stage of the DDP. 

• Like 1

Gabe Grunewald update

There is no Athletics thread, 2020 possibility sounds a stretch so as she is a solo pick for GUN Away I've posted it here.

Doesn't sound good for her.

'Not Today' but her health is deteriorating obviously. 

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

Gabe Grunewald update

There is no Athletics thread, 2020 possibility sounds a stretch so as she is a solo pick for GUN Away I've posted it here.

Prehaps time to start an athletics thread?

16 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Prehaps time to start an athletics thread?

The most famous athletics people will probably have been to Olympics and that thread already exists so the thread dies on it's arse at that point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

The most famous athletics people will probably have been to Olympics and that thread already exists so the thread dies on it's arse at that point.

Perhaps a thread for less known sports people not covered by other threads?

It took 7 seasons of DDP for me to get my first unique hit (main team) with Lennart Johansson’s death. I suddenly feel complete as a person and can die peacefully.

• Like 5

On 12/05/2019 at 17:40, Death Impends said:

Assuming he doesn’t obit, Spencer Bohren brings him over the record now for LOTL names in one team...

On 04/06/2019 at 14:45, Grim Up North said:

Gabe Grunewald update

On the finish line, so to say:

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/former-gopher-professional-runner-gabe-grunewald-enters-end-of-life-care-after-cancer-fight

Grunewald still has obit issues to high hurdle even after breaking the tape of life's run.

8 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Grunewald still has obit issues to high hurdle even after breaking the tape of life's run.

For sure! But someone once said something along the lines of 'you can't get a QO if you ain't dead'. I think it might have been you.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

For sure! But someone once said something along the lines of 'you can't get a QO if you ain't dead'. I think it might have been you.

Aye someone did.  I must say, I hope she gets a QO now.  It's nice to see that such a poignant and mathematically certain quote is remembered.

SC
(ftr 'the only people guaranteed not to obit are the living').

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/48581837

Not a QO as she is still alive but surely they will follow up on this in next couple of days.

Also I think she will be a good case for Helen Rollason Award posthumously at the SPOTY awards.

Inspirational and shows that sometimes it's not how long you live but how you spend the time you are alive.

I spend mine on Deathlist.net :scratchhead: