Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

Helen Legh will see TJS back to joint 3rd with a QO, which, as she was a current presenter for the BBC, is 100% certain from the BBC local pages.

Great pick, perfectly scouted. Nice throwback to the days of uniques being proper gamechangers at the top of the pile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I inevitably wanted a name or two that took advantage of local Beeb obits returning. And discovering her Twitter account, which revealed her cancer was glioblastoma and that she had been losing mobility in December, sealed it. RIP to her, seemed a nice lady and did very well to deal with glio for nearly five years.

Yes, well done. I think it puts you one more differential or semi-differential (Clive James) away from victory. I knew of her, but she only made it into my Top 50, not into the Top 20.

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yes, well done. I think it puts you one more differential or semi-differential (Clive James) away from victory. I knew of her, but she only made it into my Top 50, not into the Top 20.

Agreed Reptile. I really think he’s the favorite to win.

I think my main problem of being able to compete with DI isn’t the lower point differentials on my end, but more the fact that a couple of my semi canon names (Anoa’i and Du Bois in particular) really shouldn’t have made my final 20, as they weren’t even that great of picks to begin with (not as bad as, say, Linda Nolan, but still don’t seem likely to die either way)...

fyi, frontpage updates are gonna be a few days behind for the next few days as I've got some pretty big stuff going on elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 01/01/2019 at 15:57, Death Impends said:

1. Sutopo Purwo Nugroho

I think a lot of folk skipped Nugroho (the chap on the TV anytime Indonesia has a natural disaster, so every few days...) because he seemed so active despite Stage IV cancer.  Until...

"Today I went to Guangzhou to seek treatment from lung cancer which has spread to many bones and other organs. The condition is very painful," Sutopo wrote on his Instagram on Saturday (06/15/2019).

Hmm, all the cards falling into place for TJS?

Dewayne ‘Lee’ Johnson

For anyone like me who picked him for this year here he is talking about his experience - just after 11 mins in someone asks him how he feels now - he’s just started on the Jimmy Carter drug and sounds like he’s now hoping it might cure him when previously incurable.

So good news for him.

9 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Dewayne ‘Lee’ Johnson

For anyone like me who picked him for this year here he is talking about his experience - just after 11 mins in someone asks him how he feels now - he’s just started on the Jimmy Carter drug and sounds like he’s now hoping it might cure him when previously incurable.

So good news for him.

Yawwwnnnn and he is famous for what other than being ill?  Groundskeeping I guess.
Oh...winning  money judgment because ... he is ill?  
I'm well aware the wishy-washiness of the admins of these DPs.  Really need a hard-liner who says what he/she means and means what he/she says.  May as well wipe one's arse with whatever codified rule that 'celebrity' status fell under.
SC

Half way through the year and I haven't had a single hit? Have people just stopped dying? (that could be my team name for next year)

Even w 9 from Chapman I don’t think I gained a single spot.  Lucky I didn’t lose one lol :P  

Haha @Spade_Cooley re the Fernando Ricksen comment in the Beth Chapman write up.

I might have to send him on an all expenses paid trip to Bernie’s for a few months.

Well, 13 left and half year gone. Time for a mid-term check-up:

1)Samu: I don't think it is so bad as it seemed. He could easily see the year out, but no actual updates. 30%

2)Kathleen Blanco: Dead Cert. 100%

3)Leah Bracknell: She is faking it and everyone knows. I will probably die before her. 10%

4)Johnny Clegg: Now terminally ill for good, not much time left. 70%

5)Barry Du Bois: He seems to have everything under control right now. One for 2020. 20%

6)Bill Freehan: Ethernal dementia sufferer who has spent months in hospice care. Could go tomorrow, could pull a Nobby Stiles and last years. 50%

7)Greg Gilbert: Too active on Twitter to be going. He is another Leah Bracknell, a wasted pick. 10%

8)Richard Hadlee: Silent pick. Never have updates, but he has been ill for so much time. 40%

9)Lee Kerslake: Another one who should have died months ago, but somehow is still here. Still, terminally ill. 70%

10)Kerri Parker: Has not posted on social media since April. Could not be a good sign. 50%

11)Harry Reid: Terminally ill at the start of the year, then "in remission". Dork. 50%

12)Fernando Ricksen: How the heill is he still alive? 90%

13)Pat Smullen: Smart pick which did not pay. Congrats, man, you are healed. 2%

My analysis for what it's worth:

Fairlie, McGahan, Parrikar: Adios amigos

Blanco (JOKER): "Nearing final days" but can still stand without assistance according to latest update.  Should be a dead cert on paper, but I have a feeling she might (very barely) squeeze into 2020.  95%

Coleman: Lung cancer has returned yet again, reportedly immune to radiation.  80%

Bracknell: Don't trust her.  25%

Mendelsohn: "Terminal" cancer in remission.  30%

Hirono: No real updates on her cancer, but still active.  10%

Dewar: 100% dead and dusted, but obit seems unlikely.  Only real chance is possibly a passing mention during the elections in October, but even that's probably wishful thinking.

Mzembi: No update since false death rumor, but it's Zimbabwe and he has stage 4 cancer.  60%

Alagiah: Cancer returned in June.  45%

Turnbull: No real news.  30%

Gilbert: Still active.  20%

Robinson: Given a 37% chance of survival (wherever they got that from), but was dropped by several players in Death By Numbers July 1, so maybe not.  35%

Hallenga: Battling cancer for 10 years now.  15%

Curley: Last update 2017, but incurable lung cancer.  40%

Reigns: Not happening. 5%

Gleason: Nope.  5%

Ricksen: In hospice, last public appearance June 28.  97%

P-Orridge: Leukemia, congestion in her lungs, and broke.  But most recent update (Youtube) in March was optimistic, so could make 2020.  75%

Hardly my best effort, I'll grant you.

First off, RIP Mr Nugroho. Sticking at his job to try and save lives even as dying from Stage IV cancer marks him as one of the better folk on the DDP this year.

Secondly, @Boudicca said yesterday "I think you'll get a DDP hit on your birthday!" and it turns out she were an hour off, but just goes to show - stay in Scotland long enough, and you, too, can get the Second Sight!

Lastly I have spent vast chunks of my DDP history being fucking shite, so I'll just bask in this hitherto unheard of 2nd place for the short time it no doubt lasts:

2nd in ddp 7 july 2019.png

• Like 5

Congratulations, @msc

** My Gift is a bit faulty given he was also a Cup hit for Spade :unsure:

*** Congratulations to you too @Spade_Cooley 

If nothing else a new Squonking Record may be incoming...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, msc said:

First off, RIP Mr Nugroho. Sticking at his job to try and save lives even as dying from Stage IV cancer marks him as one of the better folk on the DDP this year.

Secondly, @Boudicca said yesterday "I think you'll get a DDP hit on your birthday!" and it turns out she were an hour off, but just goes to show - stay in Scotland long enough, and you, too, can get the Second Sight!

Lastly I have spent vast chunks of my DDP history being fucking shite, so I'll just bask in this hitherto unheard of 2nd place for the short time it no doubt lasts:

2nd in ddp 7 july 2019.png

Happy birthday msc!

The pack gathers.........

• Thanks 1

A very open DDP this year, wouldn't like to put money down until at least October time.

• Like 1