Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

@Lady Grendel !!  Long time!  What a joyous day.... slaughter the fatted calf!  There will be much rejoicing!

This thread is strangely quiet - considering the quality of death we've had since SC last posted.

• Haha 1

Yeah, the switch to daily updates (well, kinda daily) on the DDP homepage does reduce the necessary traffic to this thread.

Well I'm now at 58 days in the joint lead, but with most of my picks making spectacular recoveries and nearly every single living member of Thomas Jefferson Survives on their last rites, that cant last much longer.  Enjoy it while it lasts for Suzanne Whang may die at any moment now...

50 minutes ago, msc said:

Well I'm now at 58 days in the joint lead, but with most of my picks making spectacular recoveries and nearly every single living member of Thomas Jefferson Survives on their last rites, that cant last much longer.  Enjoy it while it lasts for Suzanne Whang may die at any moment now...

Your UK QO sources are guaranteed to write up the former host of HGTV's House Hunters?  Odd hypothesis, seeing as Google proves she's never ever ever EVER had a mention in a UK source ever.  Not even tabloid tumour talk.  Almost worth a double-or-nothing 5-lb of coffee bet.  <contemplating>

But if you are convinced Whang gets a QO, I'm penciling in Aisha Tyler then for 2020, cuz Fifth Wheel was more entertaining. 

25 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Your UK QO sources are guaranteed to write up the former host of HGTV's House Hunters?  Odd hypothesis, seeing as Google proves she's never ever ever EVER had a mention in a UK source ever.  Not even tabloid tumour talk.  Almost worth a double-or-nothing 5-lb of coffee bet.  <contemplating>

But if you are convinced Whang gets a QO, I'm penciling in Aisha Tyler then for 2020, cuz Fifth Wheel was more entertaining. 

As much as Mrs msc would love the coffee, this is based mostly on sods law, Sir Creep.

Although iirc @Death Impends is pretty confident of a QO for her.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

I note EVERYONE currently sitting on 106 points has Leah Bracknell in their team. For all the admiration due to the current trio of leaders her survival into 2020 would put us in our collective place as expert dead poolers, eh? Not getting smug at all. I'm one of 50 in there with my DDP joker points riding on what's left of her life force - but she's admirably tough. Might even nip down Holland and Barrett myself tomorrow and start imbibing whatever it is she's on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Actually she has at least one mentions in the UK press

1 hour ago, msc said:

As much as Mrs msc would love the coffee, this is based mostly on sods law, Sir Creep.

Yeah, reality TV is Mail catnip, with forgotten contestants from 10 years ago often getting obits. I think a longtime host will get one too.

Plus she's appeared in various popular US sitcoms/dramas throughout the 2000s which is common clickbait fodder even when they're one-off appearances. I mean, Vinny Vella and that guy who appeared in one episode of Fresh Prince both got across-the-board tabloid QOs.

7 hours ago, msc said:

I swear if you PM me an address I'll send your lovely wife a big bag of Community Coffee (a Louisiana brand, it's fantastic, and I'm a coffee snob). 
See if she likes it.  (I'll be in Scotland in about 10 days, I can mail it from there lol)
Breakfast Blend or Dark Roast -- or Medium perhaps?
They also decided years ago (generations) to put chicory in coffee in New Orleans.  smh but if you want that, I'll send that too (though I understand that's actually a 'thing' over there already maybe?).  In any case, she puts up with you, she deserves some good coffee, wagers aside.
SC 

Neiron Ball got a QO and so many all-pro NFL players don't.  No rhyme or reason.  I guess it's wait and see on some of these maybe-maybe not folks.

9 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Aisha Tyler would get a QO for voicing Lana Kane on Archer.Sadly the Fifth Wheel has been mostly forgotten like all the other entertaining-bad dating shows from the early/mid Aughts.

8 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Aisha Tyler would get a QO for voicing Lana Kane on Archer.Sadly the Fifth Wheel has been mostly forgotten like all the other entertaining-bad dating shows from the early/mid Aughts.

Are we also forgetting the Daytime Emmy and her being the host of The Talk and Whose Line?

16 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Aisha Tyler would get a QO for her role on '24'.  And cuz she is hot.

On 12/09/2019 at 12:48, msc said:

But will my chicken get an obit?

Image result for roast chicken

What's with the chicken pictures, mate? Am I missing something here? :unsure:

Edit: Ah, another meltdown. Those are fun. :)

Hmm. My Politics XX seems to be having another good year. The dizzy heights of #31, but all my bigger scorers have already gone. Still, there we are.

Just randomly looking through the profiles on DDP and Bill Cosby's describes him as "long-standing, squeaky clean....".  Is this a piss-take or just badly in need of updating?

2 hours ago, Dr_T said:

Just randomly looking through the profiles on DDP and Bill Cosby's describes him as "long-standing, squeaky clean....".  Is this a piss-take or just badly in need of updating?

Look at how long it took Rolf's description to change. EDIT You can't as TMIB edited the previous years ones at some point!

Providing its not a nightmare to change, will have a look at updating Cosby next year when the new descriptions go up.

Anyhow the good news is we have an Excel user, and possible 2 of them, for the data entry with much pleading! So the DDP shouldn't now be reliant on an increasingly irate Spade Cooley trying to teach yours truly Excel in mid-January.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr_T said:

It was originally long-standingly incorrect, then it was changed (by TMIB), then TMIB decided it was funnier to leave the old description in, and so I've carried on his legacy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that.  BTW - thanks for all the hard work that you guys have put in to get the competition to where it is.  I have particularly enjoyed the last couple of years with the frequent updates and more extensive obits.  I commend everyone who has volunteered to shoulder their share of the load to stop the competition becoming a victim of its own success.  Unfortunately I don't have the time or skills to do my share so all I have is my gratitude.  Thanks again!

• Like 5

TJS has got rid of the Glaswegian Pretender, and the Chorizo, and will now take a 4 point lead over Joey, I think?

The joint lead was fun while it lasted.

Tbh, am already prepping myself mentally for ending up in second place, and therefore likely to drop a few spots in the ranking next year since everyone who made it to second place and competed again next year dropped at least one spot from the previous year. Oh well...