Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

Ah yes, Ethnic Cleansing has fallen foul of the Curse of Finishing Runner Up in the DDP, I see.

Fear and anxiety easily give way to anger and violence. The opposite of fear is trust, which, related to warm-heartedness, boosts our self-confidence. Compassion also reduces fear, reflecting as it does a concern for others’ well-being. This is what really attracts friends.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tibet-Lama said:

Fear and anxiety easily give way to anger and violence. The opposite of fear is trust, which, related to warm-heartedness, boosts our self-confidence. Compassion also reduces fear, reflecting as it does a concern for others’ well-being. This is what really attracts friends.

I don't think you're attracting many friends.

• Like 2

This pool is so competitive! I had a hit with Fernando, and dropped one place in the standings. Jokered.

L5n3xltl7D4Yg.gif

Just now, Skinny kiltrunner said:

This pool is so competitive! I had a hit with Fernando, and dropped one place in the standings. Jokered.

L5n3xltl7D4Yg.gif

Wait till Spade comes along. He’ll eliminate the presence of any competition once he’s playing again. :D 

Not sure who the 2020 show-runners are but Is there any way we will be getting rid of this ridiculous drop 40 bonus in 2020?

This isn't a slight on Spade either who has done a brilliant job.

21 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Not sure who the 2020 show-runners are but Is there any way we will be getting rid of this ridiculous drop 40 bonus in 2020?

This isn't a slight on Spade either who has done a brilliant job.

I've never been the Drop 40 bonus's biggest fan, I'll be honest...

However, when it was discussed before there was never a clear enough consensus. 

The Drop 40 bonus will be staying, I'm pretty sure.

I think it has been very useful in changing the DDP for the better, making teams more likely to go for name celebrities or politicians instead of the nefarious cancer mums.

It makes older A listers more viable for everybody. Other opinions are available.

EDIT - Hah, ninja DDP host. Afraid I *am* a fan of the Drop 40 bonus!

• Like 6

As well as the three bonus points on offer for a unique pick, is there any chance of awarding two points for a duet and one point for a trio?  

• Like 2

I just think its too easy for people to simply scour the "Ideas and possibilities" thread on NEW Years Eve and stick a team that's gonna challenge people who have done a bit of research.

28 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

As well as the three bonus points on offer for a unique pick, is there any chance of awarding two points for a duet and one point for a trio?  

Yes, by sending a team into the AO pool too, DDT. :lol:

Serious note - No idea how difficult that'd be to implement, and am mindful of TMIB's big grand point changing plans once hitting reality. As aiming not to give the data guys a nervous breakdown, not really intending to rock the boat.

• Like 1

I like the Drop 40 bonus. It guarantees A-listers like McCain will remain on all the competitive teams given the points arms race has progressed so much that a lot of top teams might've gone long on him if he were still a 6-pointer.

• Like 2

I like it, too. It opens up some different strategies. I still maintain (repeating an idea from last year) however, that a unique hit should count more than a Drop 40 hit.

3 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I just think its too easy for people to simply scour the "Ideas and possibilities" thread on NEW Years Eve and stick a team that's gonna challenge people who have done a bit of research.

Generally the team that wins in the end do still a lot of research though (2018 was a bit flukey due to Vervoort though). You’re not going to win by sticking a bunch of drop 40 folk on your team, rather, you have to strike a balance in order to make a winning team. And like others said, it makes people deter from picking less cancer mums and it makes older people who are dead certs viable locks...

21 hours ago, Toast said:

I don't think you're attracting many friends.

Dunno, it's working for me. Kind of like our own Thought for the Day slot

Oh aye, and Larry Wallis died yesterday. Unique pick for my Carkers Convention line up - assuming a q/o appears. Feel free to alert me to one!

So we almost certainly have a DDP winner now.

I won't be prepping my victory speech just yet... Joey getting hits off both Spicer and P-Orridge, while Doleman/Zoll/Clive all live, would need some luck, but is not unthinkable. Everyone else needs to get at least three differential hits to surpass me, though.

On 20/09/2019 at 15:52, maryportfuncity said:

Oh aye, and Larry Wallis died yesterday. Unique pick for my Carkers Convention line up - assuming a q/o appears. Feel free to alert me to one!

Daily Telegraph delivers the Wallis goods - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2019/09/24/larry-wallis-guitarist-pink-fairies-motorhead-went-produce-classic/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

And that's our 200th hit of the year. Probably not going to break the 275 record but we'll give it a shot.

What, you'll shoot picks just to beat 2018?

More points for my Politics XX with Chirac, I think. Might have beaten my tally from last year now.

Zine Ben Ali is a LIst of the Missed entry as I picked him for my theme team last year.

Might as well concede on my end. I basically only had one route to win at this point and that doesn’t look like it’ll happen since Spicer doesn’t seem to be getting any press outside the hip hop circle despite lots of tweets about his death. Oh well, c’est la vie...