Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

I'm happy with 28th so far.  Highest I've ever been.  Would like a top 20 finish but settle for what I've got. Been improving every year. 

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Why would Karen Lewis ever QO?

Head of the Chicago Board of Education?  Is that of media interest to UK?  Not to mention she’s nowhere near death’s stoop.

Hmm, you may be right about the UK angle, although she is the sort to get noticed by the Guardian.  We'll see, eventually. As to the other part, she is either in hospice care or palliative care, I can't tell for sure, but either way its sooner rather than later.

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Why would Karen Lewis ever QO?

Head of the Chicago Board of Education?  Is that of media interest to UK?  Not to mention she’s nowhere near death’s stoop.

Didn’t you say before the only ones who won’t obit are the living? :huh:

• Haha 2

Belinda Charlton Gilfoyle (my unique pick) has apparently died, although her death was not publicised. So no qualifying obit. Also according to Google she died last 14 December.  Can I use my sub?

https://www.twipu.com/FionaThrust/tweet/1082009684972838915

Err, Ok, I just checked, my next sub available is Huston Smith, who died in 2016. Clearly I'm not very good at this game.

10 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Belinda Charlton Gilfoyle (my unique pick) has apparently died, although her death was not publicised. So no qualifying obit. Also according to Google she died last 14 December.  Can I use my sub?

https://www.twipu.com/FionaThrust/tweet/1082009684972838915

Err, Ok, I just checked, my next sub available is Huston Smith, who died in 2016. Clearly I'm not very good at this game.

If she died last year sadly it’s too late to get a replacement sub now. It only is accepted through the first two weeks of the year or so. 

Marieke Vervoort has declared her innings closed.  It was her will to live than meant I was able to win last year's DDP and she has breathed a whisper of life into my title defence by extinguishing her own. 

I think that euthanasia should be a special exemption for the unnatural death bonus.  But as rules are rules Pity Da Foolz gladly welcomes the 16 points.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2019/teams.html#DDPTeamjohnkeys18

This could go wrong if it happens that Francis Quinn, the 37 year old British baker I've never heard of suddenly dies, but I'm not sure if I can clarify that I meant Bishop Francis Quinn who did indeed die this year? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Quinn

I've got him in my signature deathlist as "Bishop FAQuinn", I assume I didn't properly clarify when I gave it in. I'm unsure if posting it here is enough, is there someone I should contact? I remember it was done by email when I handed in the list. 

2 hours ago, John Key said:

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2019/teams.html#DDPTeamjohnkeys18

This could go wrong if it happens that Francis Quinn, the 37 year old British baker I've never heard of suddenly dies, but I'm not sure if I can clarify that I meant Bishop Francis Quinn who did indeed die this year? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Quinn

I've got him in my signature deathlist as "Bishop FAQuinn", I assume I didn't properly clarify when I gave it in. I'm unsure if posting it here is enough, is there someone I should contact? I remember it was done by email when I handed in the list. 

The Francis Quinn on the DDP pages is already correctly marked as the bishop.

Is that different from the link I gave? It says Francis Quinn Unique pick on mine with the Unique pick symbol for unique, and he isn't crossed off meaning he's alive in my list. 

1 hour ago, John Key said:

Is that different from the link I gave? It says Francis Quinn Unique pick on mine with the Unique pick symbol for unique, and he isn't crossed off meaning he's alive in my list. 

He’s not crossed out because he did not get a QO. He needs to be both dead and obiting to get his name crossed out. 

1 hour ago, John Key said:

The "cross out" doesn't mean "dead", it means "received a QO". 

Bloody hell - currently =8th which is likely the highest place I've ever held since fluking a top five position many years ago. Started badly too with Syed Ashraful Islam carking and not obiting. How's John Andretti doing?

6 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Bloody hell - currently =8th which is likely the highest place I've ever held since fluking a top five position many years ago. Started badly too with Syed Ashraful Islam carking and not obiting. How's John Andretti doing?

A tweet made a tweet that made it look like he was on his way out, although he's still liking some tweets at the moment...

Just a general query for DDP players. Is there any previous DDP Qualifying obit source that you would like to see return? There were a number of them axed under TMIB's reign.

List of axed DDP qualifying obit sources: Yahoo UK, MSN UK, Huff Post UK, Daily Record, Scotsman, Herald, Evening Standard, UTV, STV, ITV regional pages*, Independent (now online only).

*I think Spade brought them back, but am unsure...

In terms of new media which could be used, there isn't much of note: The National and Buzzfeed UK (ugh) don't really come across as worthy DDP QO sources. Someone has already asked if we'll consider the New York Times, which I vetoed on account of it not being British enough, or at all.

Anyhow, having discussed it with the Cmme earlier, is there any of them folk would like to see return?

I suppose this is also the open floor for folk to bring up rules changes which aren't possible and the like. :D There wont be anything that needs heavy website programming changes done, and the limit of 3 teams per person remains.

Oh yes, there is a Cmme, but I'll let the others introduce themselves as and when they'd like.

• Like 1

Carkers Convention would go into second place if this Baghdadi news gets confirmed by both sides.... what a Cinderella run.

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Carkers Convention would go into second place if this Baghdadi news gets confirmed by both sides.... what a Cinderella run.

No shit - and I've got one death, Syed Ashraful Islam, on the list of the lost as well

Obviously...it's mainly down to luck, though - to be fair - I though Baghdadi would go in a battle if he went at all this year.

I think at this point, if any team manages to knock me off the perch, it'll be someone who wasn't even part of the conversation a month ago. After Baghdadi, maryport getting Andretti, then two of N Conway/Drewitt-Barlow/Robinson/Stiles, wouldn't be that unrealistic. Whereas on the flipside, Joey seemed my biggest threat a month back but his route got largely closed off by Spicer's struggle to obit and Bracknell's death.

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

I think at this point, if any team manages to knock me off the perch, it'll be someone who wasn't even part of the conversation a month ago. After Baghdadi, maryport getting Andretti, then two of N Conway/Drewitt-Barlow/Robinson/Stiles, wouldn't be that unrealistic. Whereas on the flipside, Joey seemed my biggest threat a month back but his route got largely closed off by Spicer's struggle to obit and Bracknell's death.

Aye, just got to take some meds for this sudden attack of vertigo - then I'll be on it!

• Haha 2

Interesting times.  Only two people in the top 20 appear to have had Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi.  The aforementioned Carkers Convention and Fade to Black (me).  Minding my own business about a week ago in 30th place.  Then Marieke Vervoort and now, pending full confirmation, Baghdadi. Don't know what to think.

2 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Interesting times.  Only two people in the top 20 appear to have had Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi.  The aforementioned Carkers Convention and Fade to Black (me).  Minding my own business about a week ago in 30th place.  Then Marieke Vervoort and now, pending full confirmation, Baghdadi. Don't know what to think.

Think the unnatural death bonus in this competition is a really good idea

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Think the unnatural death bonus in this competition is a really good idea

I agree.

It’s weird. For the past two years I chose unnatural gambles that didn’t work, and now both of them have finally died this week...

On 26/10/2019 at 18:48, msc said:

List of axed DDP qualifying obit sources: Yahoo UK, MSN UK, Huff Post UK, Daily Record, Scotsman, Herald, Evening Standard, UTV, STV, ITV regional pages*, Independent (now online only).

My view is to reinstate all of them, although I accept I may be in a minority on that one.  The barring of these sources was done with the best of intentions, but I do think it has resulted in the odd quirky, stylish or interesting person missing out on points.  Variety is the spice of life (and death?) and while we can eternally debate the notion of 'celebrity', I can't say I'm a huge fan of the drift towards the Drop 40 mentality of deciding to pick someone because you think everyone else will as well.  IMO this significantly impacts on the chances of those who don't want to follow the herd and that seems wrong to me.

I would add that none of the above should be seen as a criticism of @themaninblack, who had the impossible task of trying to please everybody and didn't always get the appreciation he deserved.  In fact I would go as far to say that, at times, he got a rough deal on here both as a poster and as a deadpool organiser.  As a mod, there were a couple of occasions where I now regret not intervening to support him and his continued absence from these forums bothers me.  TMIB was one of us, going right back to the early days, ultimately sacrificing huge amounts of his time to keep the rest of us entertained.  I miss him and I want him to come back.  Hopefully he will reappear some day. 

• Like 5

We note your view, DDT and shall dwell on it.

Well, I do, and the others will no doubt see it when they see it. :D

I would also like to see TMIB come back. I mean, at the very least he can laugh at my involvement in it now!

• Like 1

Personally I would like to see the Independent come back despite not being in print anymore, as there were some really fascinating names these past few years that didn't get a QO elsewhere. 

• Like 2