Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

Made a conscious decision that for my main team for 2020, I'm going for interesting uniques.

The famous and sick haven't won this for me yet. I'm up to seventeen names. Hmmm. I'd say I have about 5 weeks to find three more....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Made a conscious decision that for my main team for 2020, I'm going for interesting uniques.

The famous and sick haven't won this for me yet. I'm up to seventeen names. Hmmm. I'd say I have about 5 weeks to find three more....

Actually, with a little push, I've got my main team for 2020.

Praying for all uniques, including subs! And not a FFBI among them!

On 01/11/2019 at 11:05, Spade_Cooley said:

And points on the DDP - obviously I was totally confident in that pick and never doubted for one second the US would take him out, 

On 02/11/2019 at 22:10, YoungWillz said:

Interesting uniques - how about a few random paedos, MPs with strong opinions etc. 3 point unnatural death bonus when some nutter takes them out

Been good fun this year very competitive.

I'm still stinging a bit over missing Richard Huckle.  When I read the report and saw a picture of him i just knew he was doomed in prison.

Would have had to have him my team for 3 years straight to reap the benefits... but still.

And how I missed Fernando Ricksen is baffling. 

Keeping a top 10 spot will be a good year though and maybe top 5 with a bit of luck.

Since we're bored, it's worth mentioning that a Legacy obit has surfaced for Anna Mae Blessing, confirming she died on 5th December 2018. This obit wasn't online until months after her death. I annoyingly lose my first ever DDP hit - unique at that - but Terror of the Vervoorts wasn't exactly gunning for the title at 146th place.

• Like 1

I have 59 points, which is 16 more than my all-time record from DDP 2013. :D

My theme team is doing all the worse (0 points). :(

Congratulations on @msc for his first post then!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, this BBC article mentions my B-team pick Barbara Hammer, who had gone without obit so far:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20191126-cinema-still-needs-to-make-space-for-queer-women

"If Akerman’s choice to keep the camera in a solitary position showed sapphic desire for what it was, then the American filmmaker Barbara Hammer’s 1974 short film Dyketactics turns the act into something magical. Dyketacticsand Hammer’s filmography as a whole, failed to make the list. While some of this can likely be chalked up to her work being preserved in academic spaces, which are not available to everyone, her films deserve a spotlight befitting of the true innovator that she was."

Does this count as an obit under the definition of the DDP?

• Haha 1

I don't think so because I believe rules say specifically they have to mention the fact that they died in the obit. Kind of like why that one magician for Bert didn’t get a QO. But maybe I’m wrong...

14 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Okay, this BBC article mentions my B-team pick Barbara Hammer, who had gone without obit so far:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20191126-cinema-still-needs-to-make-space-for-queer-women

"If Akerman’s choice to keep the camera in a solitary position showed sapphic desire for what it was, then the American filmmaker Barbara Hammer’s 1974 short film Dyketactics turns the act into something magical. Dyketacticsand Hammer’s filmography as a whole, failed to make the list. While some of this can likely be chalked up to her work being preserved in academic spaces, which are not available to everyone, her films deserve a spotlight befitting of the true innovator that she was."

Does this count as an obit under the definition of the DDP?

I'd say no on account that you could still use that sentence to apply to someone who was still alive. Shame you didn't get a "late American filmmaker Barbara Hammer" in there...

8 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I'd say no on account that you could still use that sentence to apply to someone who was still alive. Shame you didn't get a "late American filmmaker Barbara Hammer" in there...

That would still be crap.  Person should have a dedicated headline 'Barbara Hammer Who Staggered and Stammered and Caused a Clamor From Here to Alabamer.... has died'
Or Summat.
None of this passing mention.  If we are going to demand an obit, then by God an obit it shall be, NOT what you just stated.  

Has there ever been a situation where we know they died and got a QO but we have no idea of what there age is? I’m just curious...

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Has there ever been a situation where we know they died and got a QO but we have no idea of what there age is? I’m just curious...

There was a musician on the Pelican one year, James Varda I think the name was? Got a BBC radio mention when that was still a QO but stayed LotL due to unknown age.

I know it's super late for this, but I was looking at the 2019 teams, and I stumbled onto The Tour Never Ends. Surely that's a music team looking at their picks...

Lucette Destouches doesn't appear to have had a QO yet. Until now, when The Times splatters one for her: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lucette-destouches-obituary-bmgtjdq9t

Edit: Actually, there was this from the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50475648

Just passed over I guess, as at point of writing she's not on the list of dead or indeed no points awarded.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2019 at 04:33, Joey Russ said:

I know it's super late for this, but I was looking at the 2019 teams, and I stumbled onto The Tour Never Ends. Surely that's a music team looking at their picks...

They are, specifically musicians who were still performing at the start of the year. Will change.

When can we submit our list our 2020?

1 minute ago, Yvonne said:

When can we submit our list our 2020?

2020 entries are already open -

Once You Go Black move up to third, one of the best debut seasons on record.... remind me again who they are on here?

Think it’s one of the lurking teams like Buckets of Blood rather than an actual forum member...

• Like 1

No sign of Kate Figes added to the death count? Might that affect the placings?

• Confused 1