Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

No sign of Kate Figes added to the death count? Might that affect the placings?

Ah ffs. On it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Once You Go Black move up to third, one of the best debut seasons on record.... remind me again who they are on here?

They seek him here, they seek him there...……

Once You Go Black is my main team. Been lurking around here for a while but only signed up this year. Haven't posted much, mainly because I keep forgetting my password!

• Like 5

Bloody Hell.  'Pity Da Foolz' so close to making DDP2019 a real grandstand finish if he'd only chosen a different 'Mental As Anything' band member. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 13:23, An Fear Beag said:

They seek him here, they seek him there...……

Once You Go Black is my main team. Been lurking around here for a while but only signed up this year. Haven't posted much, mainly because I keep forgetting my password!

Another lurker! I’m quite pleased myself to have steadily climbed into the top ten (for now) after a rather slow start this year. It’s really close for third place isn’t it?!

• Like 1

[Tells you how often I look at the DDP site, but...]  So I goes and looks in on the Theme Team standings......
How the hell is a team of all women a THEME team?  All men a THEME team then?  'Swingin' Dickx' 1st year in DDP that'll be my regular team, just drop the 2 or 3 women off of it.  Seriously, you can NOT deny my all male theme team, precedent is established.  @Spade_Cooley LOOK a theme of gender.

SC

• Like 1

To my mind there's two theme team leagues. The one that's on the site, and the moral one: the most correct picks from the smallest possible field. 

Day 356 observation.

Who put Sheila Mercier and June Spencer on a 1920s theme team?

• Like 2

Right, I've gone through the List of the Lost and done final checks for any QOs anywhere. Still nothing. Gustav Gerneth still has a BBC article for his birthday but not his death. Barbara Hammer and Nadia Toffa still have obits from non-QO sources (as does Ezra Castro if anyone wants to open the "should ESPN.co.uk be a QO source?" argument (please don't)). Ken Nordine's death was still big enough to be the #5 story on BBC World Service when he died, but not on an actual news page of the site. So.... unless anyone can find any hidden, that's that.

2 hours ago, Eesti said:

Randy Romero also doesn't have a QO?

Nope. His death barely got any attention in the US media, let alone the UK.

Randy Romero far from the most shocking QO miss though. The fact that all of Conway Lee Berners, Ken Nordine, Robin Herd, and Gershon Kingsley went without a QO is fucking ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Ken Nordine probably the most interesting absence.  Lindy Remigino remains the biggest QO absence since I’ve been here (Dec 2014).  I’m sorry but ignoring a 2-time gold medal winner from an English speaking country is stunning beyond words - which maybe was how the obit writer felt that day.

On 20/12/2019 at 10:16, Spade_Cooley said:

To my mind there's two theme team leagues. The one that's on the site, and the moral one: the most correct picks from the smallest possible field. 

Similarly there's two main leagues. 

The one that picks cancer and not really famous types and then geuinely notable types.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Similarly there's two main leagues. 

The one that picks cancer and not really famous types and then geuinely notable types.....

Well there’s also a very small exclusive league of Teams that pick totally obscure foreign people who will not get a  QO if they do die and are not ill either (apart from some of the really really obscure ones who may be so ill they are dead but no one knows).

As you can imagine they’re the most fun to administer. :D

• Haha 1

You should edit the deathpool page. It is still with the 12-31-2018 deathline.

Also, I entered a shadow list.

Congratulations to Death Impends on a likely victory! Been a while since a DDP winner had at least one unique hit.

• Thanks 1

Right, that’s Day In The Death officially in. Good luck everyone. :) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Randy Romero far from the most shocking QO miss though. The fact that all of Conway Lee Berners, Ken Nordine, Robin Herd, and Gershon Kingsley went without a QO is fucking ridiculous. 

:banghead: One of my heroes who doesn't even get a QO!

Anyway I just noticed Mwai Kibaki's bio is wrong. His term ended in 2013.

Ah well, 38=. Can't ever seem to top my best ever 17th. 4th in theme teams on my first go, though.

2020 teams in.

Happy New Year, all. 

39 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Date of death confirmed as 30th December. https://www.thebookseller.com/news/agatha-raisin-creator-m-c-beaton-dies-83-1145666

• Like 3

@The Old Crem 

The Soap theme team league as it currently stands.....

1. Slippery Soap (Leah Bracknell, Freddie Jones, Edward Kelsey, Sheila Mercier)
  2. Around the Square (Nicky Hanson)
  3. The Cobbles to a Coffin (everybody lives)

Still waiting on the bloody Emmerdale and Hollyoaks teams, 2020 maybe?

• Like 1