Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

On 31/12/2019 at 06:32, Predictor said:

Congratulations to Death Impends on a likely victory! Been a while since a DDP winner had at least one unique hit.

That makes no sense.  Seems it would be impossible to win without one 

10 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

That makes no sense.  Seems it would be impossible to win without one 

Last unique hit on the winning team was all the way back in 2014. There have been unique picks on winning teams since, but not unique hits on them. Until now.

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Last unique hit on the winning team was all the way back in 2014. There have been unique picks on winning teams since, but not unique hits on them. Until now.

Regardless, it makes no sense.  Winning is based on differentiation and picking hackneyed hoi poloi selections shouldn’t be getting the job done.  The fault is in the point system if that’s the case (I’ve said this all along since they made D40 picks equal to uniques, a fucking travesty of research) 

when having a name NO ONE else has is merely the same as one EVERYONE else has, the game is lost.

7 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Regardless, it makes no sense.  Winning is based on differentiation and picking hackneyed hoi poloi selections shouldn’t be getting the job done.  The fault is in the point system if that’s the case (I’ve said this all along since they made D40 picks equal to uniques, a fucking travesty of research) 

when having a name NO ONE else has is merely the same as one EVERYONE else has, the game is lost.

It doesn’t have to be unique to be a great differential. Jerome Golmard from Bert’s winning team is a great example of this. Brucie too. Not a lot of contenders went for them, and yet both were crucial to Bert’s victory. Similarly, Pity Da Foolz’s choice of not picking Marieke Vervoort was extremely crucial to him winning, had she died in 2018 he almost certainly would’ve lost. 

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

It doesn’t have to be unique to be a great differential. Jerome Golmard from Bert’s winning team is a great example of this. Brucie too. Not a lot of contenders went for them, and yet both were crucial to Bert’s victory. Similarly, Pity Da Foolz’s choice of not picking Marieke Vervoort was extremely crucial to him winning, had she died in 2018 he almost certainly would’ve lost. 

Your buttressing my point.  It shouldn’t come down to a fucking dart throw as to which D40 will die and which won’t.  It should reward EXTREME research not curtail.  Instead it rewards NO research.  Oh look I lucky I pick Bracknell and not Carter.  My daughter (did her best in Reverse DP) can pick a DDP team under those tough rigors.

I'm lost.

Death Impends won in 2019 because he had Legh and Whang who NO ONE ELSE HAD, Billy Clayton who none of his competitors had (4 teams in total), and Nugroho who barely anyone had.

Dr T won because he picked Falkholt and Totalbiscuit whom most of the other contenders ignored completely.

Bert won because he had Jerome Golmard (1 of 2 people to do so), plus off radar Paul Van Zandvliet (a Sir Creep off radar special too),

Spade won in 2016 because Mother Angelica, Hassan Asif, Sattar Edhi, Bob Ellis, Fekete, Dan Haggarty were all on his radar and sod all anyone elses.

He did so in 2015 because he had the same on Grace Lee Boggs and Sadhana in a close year.

80% of Spades 2014 team were either unique or on three teams tops.

You don't win the DDP unless your differentials are significantly better than everyone else who can win. Them being better than the 6 hits top guy in 60th place doesn't matter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, msc said:

I'm lost.

Death Impends won in 2019 because he had Legh and Whang who NO ONE ELSE HAD, Billy Clayton who none of his competitors had (4 teams in total), and Nugroho who barely anyone had.

Dr T won because he picked Falkholt and Totalbiscuit whom most of the other contenders ignored completely.

Bert won because he had Jerome Golmard (1 of 2 people to do so), plus off radar Paul Van Zandvliet (a Sir Creep off radar special too),

Spade won in 2016 because Mother Angelica, Hassan Asif, Sattar Edhi, Bob Ellis, Fekete, Dan Haggarty were all on his radar and sod all anyone elses.

He did so in 2015 because he had the same on Grace Lee Boggs and Sadhana in a close year.

80% of Spades 2014 team were either unique or on three teams tops.

You don't win the DDP unless your differentials are significantly better than everyone else who can win. Them being better than the 6 hits top guy in 60th place doesn't matter.

I think he's bemoaning the Drop 40 bonus being introduced and equal (or thereabouts) to the unique bonus, a lot of the events you reference above happened before that was introduced. It means rather than finding 20 genuinely good names certain players have to pick the Drop 40 types to stay in the game....

To be in honest in a rare display of amicability between me and Sir Creep I agree with him in principle the Drop 40 bonus should be scrapped.

Rewarding people for picking obvious names is silly....

Well, it’s time. Would like to congratulate Death Impends on a very well deserved and awesome ddp performance. You deserved it. :) 

Well done, DI, it's been a long time deserved.

Congratulations!

Well and truly deserved.

Congrats DI

Not just on winning but doing so impressively by a wide margin

Thanks all. With winning the DDP the white whale of my deadpooling career, it is very satisfying and relieving to have finally achieved it. I very much felt like Bert Trautmann in 2017 throughout the year, in that this would be the now or never year for me to win the DDP.

It was all very fluid throughout most of the year and I did not feel confident in winning until the deaths of Fernando Ricksen and Suzanne Whang. Even after that, the death of Jimmy Spicer gave me a sinking feeling (that turned out to be for naught) and I certainly sweated at the deaths of Vervoort, Baghdadi, and Frates. The last few months were a crazy rollercoaster of a scoreboard, and it was very fortunate that my lead was sturdy enough that I stayed in first while the rest of the top 20's arrangement kept getting scrambled. These last few months showed that while Whang and Legh were the most obvious components of the win, the more commonplace names on my team (Bracknell, Conway, and James were the last three in) were just as crucial.

Once again referencing Bert, I did briefly mull whether or not to go out on top and retire TJS from the DDP. With life getting busier, I definitely am not going to have the time for research I used to. But of course I remain active in the community (so even if I end up having very little research time I can still cobble decent teams out of forum names) and I want to continue my hit history (I could hit the century this year should I get at least 13 hits with my current team). And as I alluded to in other posts, I only wanted one win, and so I welcome the new freedom victory gives me, to pick Jimmy Carter instead of the more coldly logical fringey name.

My thanks to the 14 fatalities, who all seemed like good folk undeserving of their maladies, but whose contributions to the effort and interesting lives of wine expertise, disaster awareness, and singing bizarre I Will Survive parodies to your tumors shant be forgotten. And of course, thanks to Spade for his hard work running the DDP and holding the fort as we head into the well overdue committee era.

• Like 8

On 20/12/2019 at 18:47, Sir Creep said:

[Tells you how often I look at the DDP site, but...]  So I goes and looks in on the Theme Team standings......
How the hell is a team of all women a THEME team?  All men a THEME team then?  'Swingin' Dickx' 1st year in DDP that'll be my regular team, just drop the 2 or 3 women off of it.  Seriously, you can NOT deny my all male theme team, precedent is established.  @Spade_Cooley LOOK a theme of gender.

SC

Ha. I missed out on defending my Theme Team crown by 1 point to a theme that represents >50% of the global population.

Why do I always insist on picking Michael Somare?

Anyway, I've been away and also moved house over the last 2 weeks, so didn't get to submit in for 2020, so have a ball all!

And belated congratulations to DI.

• Like 1

Ok so it is over. Congrats DI and well done to Spade who has done a grand job over the last two years. :clap:

Congrats to @Death Impends on finally winning this, mustn't be much left on your list now. Commiserations to Pity Da Foolz, apologise I honestly can't remember which forum member or even if it is a forumer - that team belongs too...... my bad.

A massive thanks to @Spade_Cooley for running this and puttting up with the various nuisances and faux pauxs of entrants that are a byproduct of the doing so such as people submitting picks who died before the outbreak of the Falklands war..... :ninja: 

And best of luck to @msc @gcreptile and @Grim Up North as they move into the committee era, hopefully the sharing of the workload makes the whole thing a better experience for everybody running it. and keeps the pool going onwards.  I've always been staggered that one person ran the entire DDP to be frank......

• Like 2

Hear hear.

:clap:

:hatsoff:

:bow:

I may be the only one who doesn’t know the names of everyone’s main team, so it’s always a surprise to find out who is doing well.

And lo, this year it’s Death Impends!  A grand podium for you, sir!  Well done!

15 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I may be the only one who doesn’t know the names of everyone’s main team, so it’s always a surprise to find out who is doing well.

And lo, this year it’s Death Impends!  A grand podium for you, sir!  Well done!

Your not.......

Re - Top 10 I'd be glad if the blanks could be filled in as I think most are on here? (There's a reason mine is called Deathray's Kervorkian Clinic, if only everybody else would use the same naming convention.)

Massive thanks  to @Death Impends for filling in some of the blanks....

Thomas Jefferson Survives = Death Impends

Pity da Foolz = Dr T

Once You Go Black = An Fear Beag

Carkers Convention = maryport (??)

Heading Nowhere = CaptainChorizo

Pan Breed = msc (??)

Dead Ends = Sean the Irish Bastard

John Key's Choices = John Key (see how useful this naming convention is.....)

Day in the Death = Joey Russ 

Bucket of Blood = (A Luker, if so say hello.... :P)

GUN Fishing = Grim Up North (again, naming convention saved me here.....)

Further down the list I see these obvious forum ones. (not paying much attention to theme teams)

(not exhaustive - I may add B teams and theme teams when I can be arsed)....

(12) Going Underground

(14) deadsox (Deceased Hose)

(16) Banana (Banana's Peel Slippers

(16) Drol (Drollercoaster)

(16) alt obits guy (Fade to Black)

(20) The Dead Cow (Still Life)

(21) gcreptile (The Love Boat)

(22) GraveDanger

(24) Book (2020.... No Thank You I'll Leave Before)

(25)RadGuy (To Kill A Gabor Sister)

(27) the engineer (Sovereign Reaper)

(27) Clorox Bleachman (Bleaching the Bottom of the Barrel)

(30) Cancel My Appointments (Sir Creep)

(31) DevonDeathTrip (The Living End)

(35) Skinny Kiltrunner

(38) Eesti (DDP Tofoa)

(36) FixedBusiness (Life Flies By So Fast)

(42) charon (Charon's crew)

(43) ethnic cleansing (Ethnic Cleansing)

(52) The Unknown Man (The End of the World As We Know It)

(54) Heef (The Heeflich Manouvre)

(57) viGnoS (P@F Deathlist)

(65) Dead Wait

(67) Sean (Shaun of the Dead 69)

(73) JiromeonKimura (Cancerous Hatred)

(74) Wormfarmer

(81) Pedro (Pedro's Catacomb Dwellers)

(90) Captain Hemlock (Captain Hemlock's Twenty)

(92) Toast (I'm sorry for your trouble)

(100) Youth In Asia (Todays the Day the Maggots Have Their Picnic)

(100) JQW (You Dirty Rotten Swine, You Dead Them)

(109) Predictor (Predictor's Predictions)

(113) YoungWillz (12-Lords A Leaving 8 Ladies A Dying)

(116) The Old Lady

(127) Windsor (Windsor the Troll)

(127) The Old Crem (The A Team)

(134) drunkasaskunk

(146) The Mad Hatter (Twenty Little Roosters)

(155) Deathray's Kervorkian Clinic

(157) Blueberry Crumble (Gooseberry Crumble)

(165) Phantom (Phantom's Pick and Mix)

(165) Exu (Life's too short)

(214) Larrd Bazaar

(239) YorkshireBanker (Roasting Bodies in Redcar)

(262) time (Time's up)

(279) dean1991 (Curse of Fame)

(299) nantonian2013 (Funeral Furore)

(329) Spade Cooley (Passing)

(343) Mr Whit (Mr Whit's wonders)

(350) Bibliogryphon (Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food)

(380) Gooseberry Crumble

(I've missed your primary team let me know....)

And these look as though they might be forumers?
Also looks like Crowdsourced Deathlist (105) beat the actual Deathlist (176).....

If I've missed you out let me know

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol and he didn’t put mine

Cancel My Appointments - Sir Creep

and aye, Gris Gris is mine too.  

you'll usually find my team around 45th place, barely worth the mention.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Heading Nowhere = 

me

• Thanks 1

Mine is "I'm Sorry For Your Trouble".

(For anyone unaware, this is a conventional Irish expression of condolence.)