Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

14 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

To be fair, that is the intent of the team.  But point taken.

Yes, but 6/20 on the LOTL by Valentines Day has it going even more smashingly than I'd expected!

• Like 1

To be fair to get an effective team you needed loads of terminally ill but not famous enough in the UK to get a QO. So not a massive surprise of lots died quickly. 

Minor DDP trivia:

All possible birthdays were picked at least three times on this year's DDP, with the exception of September 13th, which only has one pick (Dan Marino). Most popular birthday is July 15th, with 20 picks. 

98 years of birth are represented, with every year from 1903 to 2000 having at least one selection. Most popular year of birth: 1934 (107 picks). Years of birth with just one pick: 1906, 1907, 1909, 1999. 

• Like 6

Sir Harrison Birtwistle, a British composer born on July 15th, 1934, is not picked.

Neither is Ray Bowden, former Arsenal striker, who was born on September 13th, 1909. Although he did die in 1998.

• Like 2

Yeah, there's a really dull reason for this and I always forget to change it. I'll put it on the to-do list.

• Like 2

February is outpacing January - interesting.

So The Living End is in the lead with 32 points ahead of me (assuming McCabe gets an obit soon). But wait, my strategy to catch up to him is great because *wait for it* when the joker Fernando Ricksen goes, then I will only be 19 points behind him...

One thing I noticed is that currently I am 6/6 for correctly guessing deaths for people who last name began with the letter M. Looks like I might know my strategy for next year then...

42 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

One thing I noticed is that currently I am 6/6 for correctly guessing deaths for people who last name began with the letter M. Looks like I might know my strategy for next year then...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I swear sometimes you post just to post.  

• Haha 2

One of my DDP themed lists seems to be going in alphabetical order: Carol Channing, John Cocks (no QO), and now Stanley Donen.

I should have looked at the list and voted on the DL 2019 for Kirk Douglas to be the Second Death.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2019 at 21:19, Cat O'Falk said:

ice_screenshot_20190217-210902.jpeg

John Prescott.jpg

Also

Thorn, Tracey
Born 26 September 1962  (Hatfield, UK)
English actor, best known as Rodney Trotter in "Only Fools and Horses" but also starred in "Butterflies", "New Tricks" and a series of WH Smith adverts in the 1990s.
[Picture of Tracey Thorn]

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

That's not a mistake....

oh. In that case ...

See the source image

That's effectively all the images uploaded for this year. I still need to do a pass as some have broken codes and aren't showing right now, plus the aforementioned Prescott issue, plus a few other bio changes (Joe Biden being VP of the US, for instance). Then I need to get the theme league set up and... that's the site 100% running for 2019.

Which brings us to the next question. The handover. Before we name a new gamerunner (unless someone is that eager to put themselves forward now), we need a steering committee to handle a) the design of a new engine for the game itself and b) the handover and, if we do switch to a committee to run the game, who handles what.

I'll probably set up a separate thread to discuss this stuff, but before I do... who has interest in being part of any such committee? 

• Like 1

As a lover of irony the passing of Mike Willesee wasn't missed.  I managed to win last year mostly by trawling the lists of the first half a dozen placegetters in 2017 for survivors.  Willesee did not make my 2019 list.  It was hard to get a handle on him and the news that made it into the media (up to about August) all suggested that he was responding well to treatment.  Considering he was never going to be either unique or Drop 40 meant that he was no value for DDP. 

'Made In Detroit theme team first ever hit -- Ted Lindsay. Maybe I shouldn't have made this theme team, every time I get a hit it'll suck.
SC
LOL so I look and for reasons???? I didn't have him listed.  I'd love to see the scratch paper I was writing names on.  Probably crossed it off assuming, and never typed it lol UGH.  no matter.

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

DDT is currently cursing People I Think Might Die In 2019 United for denying him a unique hit.

After waiting so long for the obit, I'm happy to get any points at all. 

Alas I fear the impending demises of Gilbert, Bracknell and Clegg - all sacked from my squad for dallying - will see this lone breakaway swept up by the peloton long before we get to the business end of the race.  

• Like 1

So February has now had 31 hits - surely a record for that month. But still one hit short of January 2019.

Tomorrow marks 30 years since the World Wide Web was invented. Keep your eyes peeled for mentions of Tim Berners-Lee's "late father"...

Hal Blaine is a bit of an annoying DDP miss as I picked him in one form or another for the past two years. Ah well, life happens that way sometimes...