Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2019

10 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Solo hit for Naked Florida Gravediggers -- they had him a few years, believing pays off! - Joe Longthorne
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/9646021/joe-longthorne-dead-singer-impressionist-cancer/

Not to say this was a longstanding case, Sir Creep, but I think the first time I heard Longthorne was gravely ill I was still at school!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Not to say this was a longstanding case, Sir Creep, but I think the first time I heard Longthorne was gravely ill I was still at school!

Aye, I think his stand alone thread began in 2005! LOL
I updated it, just needs Admin to mark 'dead'.

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

No.  It's a BBC entry with their online music section.  This would have given Michel Delpech a QO as well and iirc Spade a 20/20.
 SC

That's not the point. The entry may be in the BBC online music section but the birth and death information is page-grabbed from wikipedia. That's why it's discounted as it's not an obituary in the traditional sense. Surely even you with your limited intellect can see the reason it's discounted?

If you want QO's pick people who actually get them not people on the absolute fringes of fame who don't rather than trying to squirm one out of bollocks pages.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Think you somewhat underestimate msc's age! :lol:

Joe Longthorne was diagnosed with blood cancer in 1987!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brian Lochore was unique for Heef in the DDP. Just mentioning that in case you forgot (been over a day since he died and Longthorne was updated already).

On 03/08/2019 at 05:43, Deathray said:
On 03/08/2019 at 03:53, Sir Creep said:

Think you somewhat underestimate msc's age! :lol:

Joe Longthorne was diagnosed with blood cancer in 1987!

1. Where do you see me estimating msc's age?   I know you can't read and that actual words mean fuckall to you (which is important when you have an agenda, facts be damned), but please do stick to what was posted.  I DO see SirC saying the date of the thread's inception.  Funny, no mention of msc.
2. I know msc's age with extreme precision, fwiw.
SC

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

1. Where do you see me estimating msc's age?   I know you can't read and that actual words mean fuckall to you (which is important when you have an agenda, facts be damned), but please do stick to what was posted.  I DO see SirC saying the date of the thread's inception.  Funny, no mention of msc.
 2. I know msc's age with extreme precision, fwiw.
 SC

It must be really hard for you after your sense of humour bypass operation. If you need any grapes/flowers sending to your bedside  let me know. 

• Haha 1

Gonna catch up with the backlog of front-page updates this weekend, had a rare few days off this week and spent it overpaying in Dorset cafes rather than thinking of something interesting to say about Harold Prince carking it. When those are done, I'm gonna put together a guide for those taking over next year... yep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Gonna catch up with the backlog of front-page updates this weekend, had a rare few days off this week and spent it overpaying in Dorset cafes rather than thinking of something interesting to say about Harold Prince carking it. When those are done, I'm gonna put together a guide for those taking over next year... yep.

As a matter of interest - what's the most you can pay for a coffee and scone in a Dorset cafe?

10 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

That cafe on Branksome Beach is a fucking rip, probably there. However, I did try the winner of the 2018 "Best Breakfast In Britain" award, the eggy bread with kale, chorizo and spiced hollandaise at Blandford Forum's Yellow Bicycle Cafe, and can confirm it is truly a five-star breakfast.

I’m wrapping my head around finding quality chorizo in the UK.  (Aye, ‘quality chorizo’ an oxy-moron, do yourself a favour and do NOT look at the ingredients.  Unless you like tripe, then by all means...).  That akin to having haggis in America.  

Just checked the DDP standings. Turns out I have 12 points with the recent death of that old Scottish bloke Alf. :old:

• Like 1

On 12/06/2019 at 15:07, Death Impends said:

Suzanne Whang: Shockingly, the Mexico clinic failed to halt the rapid growth of her cancer. Fear not, though, as she's attempted more kooky healing processes such as holding a "worldwide visualization" where her friends all envisioned her as healthy during the same ten-minute span, and next month going on a shamanic healing journey. Also at one of her fundraisers, she put googly eyes and lipstick on her tumor and sang a parody of I Will Survive to it. Words fail me.

I notice that Ms Whang hasn't made any social media posts in nearly a month. And the last time she did, she was raving about how she'd defied her intense pains to go and see a gig by.... Manhattan Transfer. 

She said at her late June fundraiser she weighed 75 pounds (34 kg), which is only 10 pounds more than Tammy Faye at her final interview. She'll be yet another Mexican clinic fatality before the month is up, methinks.

I do get a bit of black humor from a "I wonder what Suzanne Whang is doing rn" tweet from a few days ago by some random House Hunters fan who probably isn't aware that she's currently withering away from stage 4 cancer.

• Like 1

You know, it feels weird that for the second year in a row I’m part of the first group of teams to break 100 points (last year I broke 100 points alongside Buckets of Blood when Matt Cappotelli died). Yet somehow, it happened again. 

49 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

You know, it feels weird that for the second year in a row I’m part of the first group of teams to break 100 points (last year I broke 100 points alongside Buckets of Blood when Matt Cappotelli died). Yet somehow, it happened again. 

Not even a stealth boast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Not even a stealth boast. 

Would have liked to Thanks, Haha and Like that post but site’s not up to it.

• Thanks 1

On 13/08/2019 at 21:49, Predictor said:

Just checked the DDP standings. Turns out I have 12 points with the recent death of that old Scottish bloke Alf. :old:

Respect

Ms Blanco has - briefly - hauled my middling outfit into the top 30. Have a hunch my joker Ms Bracknell may frustrate me and many others, mind

• Like 1

Despite 2 non-obits ( Chris Wilson and Paul Dewar ) I have managed to squeak into 11th. Probably not enough upside potential to hang on, but it's been interesting to watch.

Heading Nowhere goes provisionally second, lagging behind Thomas Jefferson Survives on average age of hits. Trying to find paths that lead to TJS not winning this year, assuming Ricksen is guaranteed to go before December 31st. Andretti and Goldberg both die while Susan Bayh and TJS's uniques stay alive? Is that it?

Edit: Actually, Genesis P-Orridge dying and handing victory to Day In The Death seems more likely.

In a scenario where Ms Whang lives or doesn't obit, but Ricksen goes, I'd need Dr Reid plus 1 other to overcome that. Even though joint top in August (:D btw), I think Pan Breed's route to stopping TJS relies on the Greece Euro 2004 method: hoping for fuck all to happen, then a lucky break in injury time.

Although if Death Impends fails to win from this spot, I think Curse of TJS might become (more of) a thing...

Hmm, the most plausible victory routes for each of the top 10 at this point, treating Ricksen as my only further hit unless stated otherwise:

Me: Sod all happening from this point would technically do the trick, but I think Ricksen, Whang, and at least one of Doleman/Bayh/Zoll is much more likely. Offchance of Clive James, but not really expecting it now. Shurer is under control.

Chorizo: Two out of Andretti/N Conway/Goldberg/Monsanto. BDB's cancer seems too under control to be a hit this year.

msc: Goldberg and Dr Reid. His three young cancer women all seem too stable for now, but a shock decline in one of them would help him greatly.

Joey: P-Orridge. And Bayh would be helpful for fending off everyone bar me. His remaining differentials seem a bit unlikely (either via death or obitability) so will really need it to be dry beyond that, or to get another unexpected differential hit.

BoB: Leanne Barrett, Steve Gleason, at least two of their four old people.

Going Underground: Only has a faint hope if Ricksen DOESN'T die - completely unpicked by GU. And then has to cobble a victory out of Fiano, Monsanto, Price, Stiles and maaaaaybe Vervoort.

drol: Think we're at the point of where, unless they also have him as a joker, the team needs Ricksen to live to have any narrow chance. drol would eke it out on Freehan, Hadlee, and Harry Reid. Gilbert or Smullen would also make things interesting, but both seem okay for at least a few more months.

GUN Away: Somehow don't think a B Team will win in a post-Clegg/Blanco world. I guess Frates/Ernie Moss/Littlefeather.

DDT: Michael Robinson his best differential, and then pick 2 out of Fiano, Figes, and Deghayes. Coleman and RBG both seem okay for now, and Hoyle was a rollercoaster punt that seemed promising early on but didn't pan out after it was fully revealed what exactly was wrong with him.

Reptile: Has a Ricksen joker, so his death would help narrow his competition. I can plausibly see P-Orridge, Volcker, and Woodcock dying after that. He'd need another to get past Joey though. Possibly Rodion? Klein is in remission, Hogh bought time with Whipple surgery so could have late year decline potential, and David Smith is currently talking in terms of "hopefully I'll be able to participate in the next Paralympics" rather than "hopefully I'm still alive next Paralympics".

I really only see the first 4 routes, and maaaybe BoB, as possibilities at this point. And with Whang seemingly on the brink, if she doesn't muster a Mail QO through her reality TV host role/various appearances on popular aughts US sitcoms and dramas, I am indeed cursed...

• Like 4

I feel like I may as well pack it in, since very few of these names mean anything to me. 

23 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Despite 2 non-obits ( Chris Wilson and Paul Dewar ) I have managed to squeak into 11th. Probably not enough upside potential to hang on, but it's been interesting to watch.

Aye, under the rules of a more lenient dead pool with regard to q/o's your outfit would truly be on fire this year

• Thanks 1

tbh I thought the vast majority of "names" above were notables, for a pleasant change. "Vast majority", I said, before anyone points out the sadly inevitable cancered mum...

Fernando Ricksen - Footballer

Suzanne Whang - US TV comic/actress

Chris Doleman - Hall of Famer in American football. (NFL, that is, not "soccer")

Susan Bayh -  Wife of former US Presidential hopeful Evan Bayh and admittedly fringey.

Rachel Zoll - Journalist

Clive James - We all know who he is.

Ronald J Shurer - Medal of Honour holder.

John Andretti - racing car driver

Noel Conway - the British right to die guy.

Denis Goldberg - anti-apartheid activist and colleague of Nelsons

"Monsanto Man" AKA Dewayne Johnson - the dude who sued Monsanto for his cancer. Not famous at all, despite The Guardian writing a million articles on him.

Barry Du Bois - Ozzie TV host.

Dr Bruce Reid - Chief medical officer at one of the biggest sports clubs in Australia, who was the centre of a massive doping scandal few years ago.

Genesis P-orridge - Punk musician.

Leanne Barrett - famous for being ill.

Steve Gleason - well regarded NFLer .

Julian Fiano - UK reality TV star.

Amy Price - Jordan's mum.

Nobby Stiles - World Cup winner

Marieke Vervoort - Paralympian

Bill Freehan - Big name in US sports.

Richard Hadlee - " one of the greatest fast bowlers and all-rounders in cricketing history".

Harry Reid - Big name US Senator

Greg Gilbert - Delays singer

Pat Smullen - jockey

Pete Frates - the guy behind the Ice Bucket challenge

Ernie Moss - English footballer

Sacheen Littlefeather - activist, her who accepted Brando's Godfather Oscar.

Michael Robinson - Liverpool midfielder of the 1980s

Kate Figes - author

Amer Deghayes - Iran political prisoner

Ruth Bader GInsburg - Supreme Court Judge

Doug Hoyle - Owner of Huddersfield Town FC

Paul Volcker - leading US economist

Jacci Woodcock - Cancer fundraiser who is now an OBE and pal of the Queen, apparently...

Rodion GA - Singer far bigger in Germany (where Reptile is from) than here.

Lloyd Klein - mediocre fashion designer

Lars Hogh - Danish footballer from the 90s

David Smith - Paralympian.

Much better than when folk were relying on coma victims and 19 year olds a few years ago, imo.

• Like 3