Sign in to follow this  
Toast

Guess The Song

Minor UK hit for a man who had  previously been lead singer of  a band that sounds like a weather phenomenon. Could have been about Boris Johnson, had it only been released nearly 40 years later.

12 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Thunderclap Newman...... Something in the air? 

Nope, good call but later than that.

13 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Minor UK hit for a man who had  previously been lead singer of  a band that sounds like a weather phenomenon. Could have been about Boris Johnson, had it only been released nearly 40 years later.

I'm not a bad guy. By Heinze of The Tornado's?

2 hours ago, redrumours said:

I'm not a bad guy. By Heinze of The Tornado's?

Nope, nice obscure shout, but that's earlier than Thunderclap Newman.

Have you read the Clem Cattini biog btw? (There's an amusing bit about Heinz in there).

I was thinking Graham Bonnet (ex Rainbow) but can only think of Night Games which doesn't seem to fit the Boris reference.

But damn, let's play it anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I was thinking Graham Bonnet (ex Rainbow) but can only think of Night Games which doesn't seem to fit the Boris reference.

But damn, let's play it anyway. 

Right idea Mr Bond, wrong GB single. Think the follow up, which made about no 35 at a guess....

31 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Right idea Mr Bond, wrong GB single. Think the follow up, which made about no 35 at a guess....

Number 51 according to my Virgin

Liar  :lol:

I don't remember that one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Yes, that's the one! 

The chorus is more memorable than the verse in all honesty.

18 hours ago, Toast said:

Gotta love Graham Bonnet, if only for this gig. (At which I was present) 

• Haha 1

On 14/03/2020 at 10:23, time said:

Gotta love Graham Bonnet, if only for this gig. (At which I was present) 

Bonnet is still going fairly strong - saw him at Ramblin' Man three years back

• Like 2

Kick-starting this thread with a rather sweet debut hit for a UK singer-songwriter who had a further half dozen in the 70s, one of which was a duet.

1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Kick-starting this thread with a rather sweet debut hit for a UK singer-songwriter who had a further half dozen in the 70s, one of which was a duet.

Sugar Me - Lynsey de Paul - the duet was Rock Bottom with Mike Moran

9 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:
10 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Sugar Me - Lynsey de Paul - the duet was Rock Bottom with Mike Moran

Indeed it was. Well done.

7 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Indeed it was. Well done.

Oh, right - down to me to set one then

Almost hit the top of the UK charts despite being released against the wishes of the lead singer/composer, the song title is a slang term for a diminutive individual pursuing amorous interest to the max and the song blatantly rips the intro to a well-known song by a major blues artist. Only majorly a hit in the UK though the parent album did decent business in other territories and as this post goes live another cover version, to add to a handful already out there, could be said to be jetting in. 

56 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Oh, right - down to me to set one then

Almost hit the top of the UK charts despite being released against the wishes of the lead singer/composer, the song title is a slang term for a diminutive individual pursuing amorous interest to the max and the song blatantly rips the intro to a well-known song by a major blues artist. Only majorly a hit in the UK though the parent album did decent business in other territories and as this post goes live another cover version, to add to a handful already out there, could be said to be jetting in. 

I'm not going to say it because I can't be arsed to set another one, but it has very similar riff to a Chinnichap song that did hit the top a mere two months later.

4 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I'm not going to say it because I can't be arsed to set another one, but it has very similar riff to a Chinnichap song that did hit the top a mere two months later.

Hmm - an intense investigation of number ones in the following months suggests not

3 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Jean Genie - Bowie?

Er - no

Good song, mind!

8 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:
3 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Jean Genie - Bowie?

Er - no

Good song, mind!

thought not, but have no clue personally, and from harrymcnally's seemingly informed comment above I thought of sweet's Blockbuster as the chinnichap no 1 and Jean Genie - with a similar riff -  preceded it by a few months (although Blockbuster was written and recorded several months before it was issued, when Jean Genie was not yet in the public domain).

Part of your clue suggests soft cell's wonderful 'Sex Dwarf' although that was never a single. Anyway, as above I don't know so will retire and wait for someone else who does.

4 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

thought not, but have no clue personally, and from harrymcnally's seemingly informed comment above I thought of sweet's Blockbuster as the chinnichap no 1 and Jean Genie - with a similar riff -  preceded it by a few months (although Blockbuster was written and recorded several months before it was issued, when Jean Genie was not yet in the public domain).

Part of your clue suggests soft cell's wonderful 'Sex Dwarf' although that was never a single. Anyway, as above I don't know so will retire and wait for someone else who does.

Aye, I could see where that was going but Jean Genie wasn't released against the singer/composer's wishes. Though still a good call and having just Googled it it did peak at #2 so almost a chart-topper

8 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Well blow me, I never knew what a jeepster was until now.

Aye - the Urban Dictionary sez:

Jeepster is a term utilized to refer an individual (primarily an adolescent or young adult male) of average or insignificant stature, who pursues the object of their affections with almost unwavering tenacity. Modern usage of the term can be delineated back to the 1970's, where the concept was explored and popularized by the T. Rex classic with the same title. Marc Bolan expresses the predicament of pursuing a person above one's social stature via the metaphor that is the dichotomy between automobiles, the Jeep (the average person) and the coveted Jaguar (the object of romantic affection).
Just like a car you're pleasing to be hold
I'll call you Jaguar if I may be so bold
'Cos you're my baby, 'cos you're my love
Oh girl I'm just a jeepster for your love - oh

Person A: "Person B is such a jeepster for Person C! "
Person D: "It's such a shame that Person C is a jaguar, she is coveted by many jeepsters".
by The Stud

And that version currently Jetting in...

Which leaves Harry doing what he said he couldn't be bothered to do and setting the next one

Reet, so Harry - in a FB conversation just now - isn't that bothered about setting another. So, if I put one up that's basically a gift (because anyone who doesn't know could smash it with a few minutes Googling and learn summat in the process) then the ever moving right to boss the thread will soon be claimed. 

There is ONE song that has been recorded by a particular solo Beatle on THREE separate occasions and released each time. To be clear, we're excluding any remix, release of a demo version or a live cut. Three studio recordings of the same song, all officially released by him. 

What is that song?