Sign in to follow this  
Toast

Guess The Song

Oh aye, and the discussion about that delectable nut-job Maria McKee above - she's done an amazing job covering Marc Bolan's She was Born to be my Unicorn  on a double CD tribute to Bolan called Angelhead Hipster; been soundtracking my weekend since I bought it on Friday. 

1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Sandie Shaw - I don't need anything?

Nope.

46 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Petula Clark - Downtown

Nope.

Mary Hopkin - Temma Harbour?

(Not sure we all want to be there but running out of even remote possibilities)

On 04/09/2020 at 20:09, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I met Maria McKee when Lone Justice first toured UK (Warwick Uni, spiritual home of DL), which must have been when Ross wrote that. But I didn't know that fact, so thank you for the quiz :)

Why, out of  interest? Number of family members have been there...

6 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Mary Hopkin - Temma Harbour?

(Not sure we all want to be there but running out of even remote possibilities)

No. Another clue. Ken Dodd.

1 hour ago, redrumours said:

No. Another clue. Ken Dodd.

Walking Back To Happiness - Helen Shapiro

26 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Yep.

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Good call

11 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Good call

Ken Dodd gave it away with his song 'Happiness'.

7 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

As I mentioned to my shrink the other day, I'd always misheard it as Walkin' Back to a Penis. Cum to think of it, that did seem a bit racy for 1961.

Aha, the old Madame de Gaulle joke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

As I mentioned to my shrink the other day, I'd always misheard it as Walkin' Back to a Penis. Cum to think of it, that did seem a bit racy for 1961.

Yeah, raindrops keep fallin' on my head...etc. etc...it won't be long 'til A PENIS steps out to greet me!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:
5 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Why, out of  interest? Number of family members have been there...

Because that's where I ... sorry, we, invented it

Tsk, don't they teach history around here anymore? 

It seems not. We are of a vaguely similar vintage, although I was elsewhere at the time. My son, however is currently following in your footsteps ( at least he would be if it wasn't summer holiday/middle of pandemic)

9 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

It seems not. We are of a vaguely similar vintage, although I was elsewhere at the time. My son, however is currently following in your footsteps ( at least he would be if it wasn't summer holiday/middle of pandemic)

Hopefully he doesn't follow in my pintsteps too.

So, since anyone can set one

A song covered by a few acts has seen top five action in the UK twice. Credited as a major  ground-breaker in its original version (though actually not what it was thought to be) it's been given a metal makeover, topped a chart many miles away and been dragged into a drug fueled stupor, the song usually emerging recognizable despite the musical contortions performed upon it; which include title tweaking

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

A song covered by a few acts has seen top five action in the UK twice. Credited as a major  ground-breaker in its original version (though actually not what it was thought to be) it's been given a metal makeover, topped a chart many miles away and been dragged into a drug fueled stupor, the song usually emerging recognizable despite the musical contortions performed upon it; which include title tweaking

Lucy in the sky with diamonds?

2 hours ago, redrumours said:

Lucy in the sky with diamonds?

Good guess - but no

How many times has L.S.D. been in the top five?

9 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Something (hit for beatles and shirley bassey, though to be about Patti Boyd although Harrison later denied it)?

39 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Something (hit for beatles and shirley bassey, though to be about Patti Boyd although Harrison later denied it)?

Again, good call but not the answer

11 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Lee and Nancy's (arguably) finest moment fits the bill for most clues, and I don't doubt there are many drug-fuelled stupor versions (Crispin Glover/KMFDM?) of Boots kicking around.

58 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Lee and Nancy's (arguably) finest moment fits the bill for most clues, and I don't doubt there are many drug-fuelled stupor versions (Crispin Glover/KMFDM?) of Boots kicking around.

It does fit the bill - sort of - but it's not the one I was thinking of.

15 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Strawberry Fields Forever?

15 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

It's not 'I love Sausage Rolls' is it?