Sign in to follow this  
Toast

Guess The Song

8 hours ago, Winfield said:
8 hours ago, Winfield said:

Strawberry Fields Forever?

Strawberry Fields Forever?

Hmmm - fits the bill other than the title tweaking performed on the song, so great guess but not the one I'm thinking of

8 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

It's not 'I love Sausage Rolls' is it?

What's amazing me is how many songs - sort of - fit the enigmatic outline I posted and this one has indeed had a title tweaking, Not sure about the metal makeover (unless you count Joan Jett's cover - though that's fairly close to the Arrows original b-side). That said it has topped charts outside the UK and Jett made #4 here before the Ladbaby cover hit the top. 

Really good call but not the one I was thinking of

• Like 1

Reet gang, might be a little busy in the next few days so might just reveal  the answer to the current GTS and let someone else set one. REALLY good punts but song is linked below. #4 in 1971 by the writer (John Kongos) at which point it was called He's Gonna Step on You Again and covered by the Mondays as Step On. Cover versions incl. the metal makeover by Def Leppard and The Party Boys took it to #1 in Oz

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Reet gang, might be a little busy in the next few days so might just reveal  the answer to the current GTS and let someone else set one. REALLY good punts but song is linked below. #4 in 1971 by the writer (John Kongos) at which point it was called He's Gonna Step on You Again and covered by the Mondays as Step On. Cover versions incl. the metal makeover by Def Leppard and The Party Boys took it to #1 in Oz

Ah crap.  That was going to be my guess. 

• Haha 1

On 08/09/2020 at 22:23, Paul Bearer said:

Ah crap.  That was going to be my guess. 

You've smashed it, then...set us the next one

50 year old top 10 hit - a cover version by a welsh act singing about part of Australia

1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

50 year old top 10 hit - a cover version by a welsh act singing about part of Australia

Not sure if it's the answer you're after, but Temma Harbour by Mary Hopkin does satisfy all five of your criteria. Sweet folk tune, but I'm not sure there's a whole lot of coconut trees and bamboo in Tasmania.

28 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:
1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Not sure if it's the answer you're after, but Temma Harbour by Mary Hopkin does satisfy all five of your criteria. Sweet folk tune, but I'm not sure there's a whole lot of coconut trees and bamboo in Tasmania.

Yes, very good you win.

A song that sounds as if it ought to be about racing dogs but isn't by a group who denied being men despite plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol

or

You can whip it, whippet or something like that by Devo.

Just filling a spare minute and amusing myself - even if nobody else.

didn't look anything up.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, En Passant said:

whip it, whippet or something like that by Devo

Well done, that game lasted all of 13 minutes...

• Haha 1

Ah well, I'm old. I saw them as a support act once otherwise I'd have never remembered them, or their weird stuff.

Hate trying to think of things...always make them too hard or too easy, getting the balance right is tough. or maybe Depeche Mode.....:P

Anyway: Lets go with:

A weekend in autumn distributes everything equitably.

See if that lasts 10 mins.

September Song  - Kurt Weill?

4 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

September Song  - Kurt Weill?

um, no.

Of my 2 options I'm going to go with I made it too hard. See? I told you I was no good at this.

A specific weekend in Autumn - song / distributes everything equitably - artist.

Hmm, thought I had the artist nailed down but can't come up with a song that fits.

15 hours ago, En Passant said:

A specific weekend in Autumn - song / distributes everything equitably - artist.

Late November - Fairport Convention?

13 hours ago, Toast said:

Hmm, thought I had the artist nailed down but can't come up with a song that fits.

2 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Late November - Fairport Convention?

I feel stupid now because I fear the clues probably make no sense outside my head.

One more try at some sort of cryptic....

The last weekend in October (most places) / It's a single name and a pun, specifically a homonym.

I'm fairly certain if you get it, you'll absolutely know it's right.

Halloween - Dead Kennedys???

8 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I feel stupid now because I fear the clues probably make no sense outside my head.

One more try at some sort of cryptic....

The last weekend in October (most places) / It's a single name and a pun, specifically a homonym.

I'm fairly certain if you get it, you'll absolutely know it's right.

If I Could Turn Back Time, Cher

• Like 1

Just now, time said:

If I Could Turn Back Time, Cher

Yes. Thanks. Your turn.

6 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Yes. Thanks. Your turn.

Pretty devious clue for the title there EP. I would think most got the artist easily enough but like I was also fixated on Halloween for a while.

Anyway, stand by...

eta. There used to be a tradition of posting the video of the song, but as I am not a Cher fan, here's a link. If you want to watch it click away https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgD9FyE60hs

3 minutes ago, time said:

Pretty devious clue for the title there EP. I would think most got the artist easily enough but like I was also fixated on Halloween for a while.

Anyway, stand by...

Not the first time I've been called a devious bastard.

• Haha 1

A big 80s hit by some birds. A big hit but not their biggest. One of the band changed his name and went in a different direction (and lives not too far from me), another one went on to form another hugely successful band. He likes a drink.

11 minutes ago, time said:

Anyway, stand by...

eta. There used to be a tradition of posting the video of the song, but as I am not a Cher fan, here's a link. If you want to watch it click away https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgD9FyE60hs

Still too devious for me, got no idea how that song relates to a weekend in autumn.

Just now, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Still too devious for me, got no idea how that song relates to a weekend in autumn.

Its when the clocks go back