Sign in to follow this  
Toast

Guess The Song

23 minutes ago, time said:

A big 80s hit by some birds. A big hit but not their biggest. One of the band changed his name and went in a different direction (and lives not too far from me), another one went on to form another hugely successful band. He likes a drink.

Housemartins - Happy Hour? (Unsure of the song as “a big hit but not their biggest” really isn’t much of a clue)

22 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Housemartins - Happy Hour? (Unsure of the song as “a big hit but not their biggest” really isn’t much of a clue)

You're correct on both title and artist but incorrect on the "big hit but not their biggest" not being much of a clue :D

This should have been their biggest hit, so much better than Caravan...

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, time said:

A big 80s hit by some birds. A big hit but not their biggest. One of the band changed his name and went in a different direction (and lives not too far from me), another one went on to form another hugely successful band. He likes a drink.

A troll around wiki produces.....

The Housemartins - Happy hour (reached #3 uk, Caravan of love was #1). Though I have no other reason to make it that particular song than it was their 2nd highest seller.

Norman Cook aka Fatboy Slim lives in Brighton. Paul Heaton was founder member of The Beautiful South and (it says here) a fair few of their songs were founded on alcoholic reminiscences...

Dave Hemingway was also in both bands.

Stan Cullimore (not Collymore :P) was born Ian Peter Cullimore and is now a journalist in the Bristol area.

Hugh Whitaker " sent to prison for six years for assaulting former business associate James Hewitt with an axe and setting fire to his house on three occasions " :o. Can't say his wiki pic would give you a clue.....

Though I don't think they're the guys you are referencing and thus are dead ends but interesting nonetheless.

And whilst composing that TQR gets in there.

Good, I don't have to think of another.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, En Passant said:

A troll around wiki produces.....

The Housemartins - Happy hour (reached #3 uk, Caravan of love was #1). Though I have no other reason to make it that particular song than it was their 2nd highest seller.

Norman Cook aka Fatboy Slim lives in Brighton. Paul Heaton was founder member of The Beautiful South and (it says here) a fair few of their songs were founded on alcoholic reminiscences...

Dave Hemingway was also in both bands.

Stan Cullimore (not Collymore :P) was born Ian Peter Cullimore and is now a journalist in the Bristol area.

Hugh Whitaker " sent to prison for six years for assaulting former business associate James Hewitt with an axe and setting fire to his house on three occasions " :o. Can't say his wiki pic would give you a clue.....

Though I don't think they're the guys you are referencing and thus are dead ends but interesting nonetheless.

All correct but too late unfortunately. If you've ever looked at Paul Heaton's twitter, two subjects dominate - beer and football.

41 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Ah right, gotcha. I think my mind probably blocks out anything to do with songs as shite as that.

Do I have to like the song I choose? If so, I agree with you, that was a massive fail on my part.

This song is palatable by name but not by nature.

(I worry this one is too easy but we’ll see)

1 minute ago, time said:

All correct but too late unfortunately. If you've ever looked at Paul Heaton's twitter, two subjects dominate - beer and football.

Yeah, I edited it to show I was nowhere near first whilst you were telling me I may as well have been last :)

42 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Do I have to like the song I choose? If so, I agree with you, that was a massive fail on my part.

I did say in the OP "a favourite song", but it doesn't really matter.  Someone somewhere will like it even if we don't. :D

2 hours ago, time said:

Edited by Great Uncle Bulgaria
deleted as realised someone else got it an hour ago...

1 hour ago, The Quim Reaper said:

7 drunken nights by the dubliners?

(Song sounds as if it should be fun but isn't...)

11 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

7 drunken nights by the dubliners?

(Song sounds as if it should be fun but isn't...)

Interesting guess but not right 

2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

(I worry this one is too easy but we’ll see)

Brown Sugar, The Rolling Stones?

27 minutes ago, Toast said:

Brown Sugar, The Rolling Stones?

Nope, but on the right lines with palatable

Sweet Sixteen, Billy Idol?

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Sweet Sixteen, Billy Idol?

Nope. Further away. Get back to food.

8 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Nope. Further away. Get back to food.

I Want Candy - Bow Wow Wow

Chop Suey! - System of a Down?

• Thanks 1

Honey Pie - The Beatles

Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost over night - Lonnie Donegan

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Chop Suey! - System of a Down?

And we have a winner!

• Like 1

Just like System of a Down, this band's biggest hit featured "wake up" quite prominently, but it's not that song.

The band name is related to a profession (I guess you could say), and the protagonist of our song appears to work in said profession.

This might be an easy one: a song that was not included on the original album and celebrates yesterday's date

7 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Just like System of a Down, this band's biggest hit featured "wake up" quite prominently, but it's not that song.

The band name is related to a profession (I guess you could say), and the protagonist of our song appears to work in said profession.

This one has me stumped. It hadn’t occurred to me just how many of the songs I know mention waking up :D