Sign in to follow this  
Toast

Guess The Song

On 02/05/2021 at 20:58, Salmon Mousse said:

This might be an easy one: a song that was not included on the original album and celebrates yesterday's date

first of May - Bee Gees

On 02/05/2021 at 16:40, Clorox Bleachman said:

Just like System of a Down, this band's biggest hit featured "wake up" quite prominently, but it's not that song.

The band name is related to a profession (I guess you could say), and the protagonist of our song appears to work in said profession.

The plethora of guesses this hasn't attracted make me think that a further clue might be warranted.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2021 at 12:23, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

first of May - Bee Gees

Nope

Let's try another.

This song was recorded by its writer as a solo artist for the soundtrack of a 1979 film. It was not released as a single, but was re-recorded as an album track by the band of which the writer was (and still is) a member.

A different song with the same title was the debut single of a popular UK band.

Several unguessed songs here if anyone is at a loose end.

On 16/05/2021 at 00:46, Toast said:

Let's try another.

This song was recorded by its writer as a solo artist for the soundtrack of a 1979 film. It was not released as a single, but was re-recorded as an album track by the band of which the writer was (and still is) a member.

A different song with the same title was the debut single of a popular UK band.

Okay, my first instinct was that the 1979 movie is The Warriors. "In the city" was both a Joe Walsh song and an Eagles song. But I can't find another song of the same name, but I've got nothing better.

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Okay, my first instinct was that the 1979 movie is The Warriors. "In the city" was both a Joe Walsh song and an Eagles song. But I can't find another song of the same name, but I've got nothing better.

Spot on, and the other song is this one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Spot on, and the other song is this one.

Video not available in the US :tantrum:

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Video not available in the US :tantrum:

Bugger.  It's The Jam.

Try this one.

Alright, here's something that will hopefully be solved more swiftly:

This song was released as a single twice, the chart-wise far more successful version is the more recent one, and almost twice as long as the original release, kind of a small movie, really.

On 09/01/2022 at 18:10, gcreptile said:

This song was released as a single twice, the chart-wise far more successful version is the more recent one, and almost twice as long as the original release, kind of a small movie, really.

^^ well, "far more successful" means that this recent release couldn't get any higher in the charts, "more recent" means VERY recent, it's length is record-breaking, and yes, the music video was a small movie. And also, half the artist's name is in the previous post. These hints should make it clear very well.

On 09/01/2022 at 18:10, gcreptile said:

Reading the clue about the artist's name I remembered hearing about this one lately. After some quick googling for the song's title, it has to be All Too Well (2021), 10-minute version of Taylor Swift's 2012 song. Part of re-recording of her repertoire after falling out with Scooter Brown, former manager. New versions of her old songs won't list him and consequently won't earn him any income.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

Reading the clue about the artist's name I remembered hearing about this one lately. After some quick googling for the song's title, it has to be All Too Well (2021), 10-minute version of Taylor Swift's 2012 song. Part of re-recording of her repertoire after falling out with Scooter Brown, former manager. New versions of her old songs won't list him and consequently won't earn him any income.

Correct! On mobile now, so I'll edit the videos in tomorrow.

• Like 1

So here it is, the All Too Well short film:

Your turn, @ThereWillBeDeaths7.

The pure song, at over ten minutes, is the longest no 1 hit ever.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Your turn, @ThereWillBeDeaths7.

The pure song, at over ten minutes, is the longest no 1 hit ever.

Thanks @gcreptile ! Alright, gonna try and come up with a good one :D Usually relatively good at this in my native tongue so I should be able to post one today!

• Like 1

This is a song released by a world famous artist as a single, in a leap year in which a royal birth took place. It (the song, not the baby) has been released in multiple languages in its first year after debut.

While it hasn't gotten the same level of fame as its predecessor and both never reached #1 in the UK Singles Chart, it is quite well known. Whereas forementioned previous single was quite a cheerful song, the single in question could be described as being a song about a delicate subject.

- no idea how hard this is gonna be, feels like I've made this inaugural riddle too easy but guess only time (or one of the many other posters) will tell! :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

the single in question could be described as being a song about a delicate subject.

House of fun by Madness, about buying contraceptives?

• Like 1

Some good guesses already! No correct answers yet however; you're both not that far off era-wise, only we're looking for a song released in a leap year (I express extreme confidence in my reliable source, Wikipedia :D)

On 09/01/2022 at 11:47, Toast said:

Several unguessed songs here if anyone is at a loose end.

She Bop by Cindi Lauper sang in anticipation of Prince Harry's birth?

• Like 1

I don't quite have an idea, but well, now I know that Bananarama's "Robert De Niro's Waiting" is about date rape, hmm...

• Like 1

"99 Luftballons" by Nena?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I don't quite have an idea, but well, now I know that Bananarama's "Robert De Niro's Waiting" is about date rape, hmm...

It's not really.  It seems that was part of the inspiration for one of the band members (Siobhan), but this aspect was dropped from the final version.

"There may have been some lurid lyrics at some stage, but these were toned down to depict someone who avoided men because she felt no one could match her obsessive love for a film star."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/20/how-we-made-bananarama-robert-de-niros-waiting

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen - Cover Me 

In retrospect it's about the mental health battles he finally discussed in his autobiography 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

While it hasn't gotten the same level of fame as its predecessor and both never reached #1 in the UK Singles Chart, it is quite well known. Whereas forementioned previous single was quite a cheerful song, the single in question could be described as being a song about a delicate subject.

An additional clue; the italics part has something to do with the song's title.

Also the single it is a follow up to, could be described as being about "an extraterrestrial in a certain location somewhere around the world".