Grim Reaper

Oscar Niemeyer

Please don't tell me that's a euphemism....

For what?

I think I can guess, you rude man. Perhaps if it had been The Bunty then...........

Guest One Man Jury
I can't recall the exact phrase, or be bothered to look it up but:

History is written by the victor.

It might be from a quote from Herman Goring at the Nuremburg Trials.

[sNIP]

I think what happened during the occupation of the Channel Islands shows what would have happened if Britain would have been conquered: some collaborated, some resisted and most people tried to get on with their lives, exactly what happened in occupied Europe.

[sNIP]

This old chestnut often seems to come up.

I'm less than convinced. The fact that the inhabitants of the Channel Islands have a different ancestry/language from the rest of the UK is always ignored.

They may have seen it as one Colonial power replacing another.

As another difference all the local men were shipped out, and there was a very high proportion of occupying Germans, this could not be replicated for the whole of the UK.

This old chestnut often seems to come up.

I'm less than convinced. The fact that the inhabitants of the Channel Islands have a different ancestry/language from the rest of the UK is always ignored.

They may have seen it as one Colonial power replacing another.

As another difference all the local men were shipped out, and there was a very high proportion of occupying Germans, this could not be replicated for the whole of the UK.

Off course the Channel Islanders reacted differently...their historical ancestry is primarily French.

Point made. :D

In his bio it claims that his is still working up to date and around the age of 98 years thats not bad at all. But let me say that again hes 98......

may be in good health but obviously senile...

Architect Niemeyer Ratifies Solidarity with Cuba

Rio de Janeiro, Jul 4 (Prensa Latina) Famous Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer ratified on Monday his solidarity with the Cuban Revolution and its leader Fidel Castro.

During a meeting with Cuban ambassador Pedro Núñez Mosquera, Niemeyer said that Cuba is an example for Latin America and the world, and Fidel Castro is a leading world statesman.

He also spoke highly of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and the revolutionary process he heads.

During the meeting, the Cuban diplomat presented 97 year old Niemeyer with a certificate as an Honorary Member of the 120-Year Club, a Cuban initiative to promote a longer, high-quality life.

Niemeyer said he hoped to achieve this goal as he was feeling well and worked every day from 9:30 am well into the afternoon.

Guest Brazilian
Yes fair enough, I meant, not widely spoken outside Brazil and Portugal (and Mozambique, and Angola ... oh I give up) :(

That was so funny... lol :o:angry:

I think Oscar is in good health still, besides from being really old I see no reason for him to be in the List.

Guest Magno

O arquiteto Oscar Niemeyer tem pouco tempo de vida à sua frente. Ele já apresenta evidentes sinais de debilidade física. Suas idéias políticas são inteiramente equivocadas, em minha opinião. Seu stalinismo é patético. Apesar disso, eu considero Niemeyer um dos artistas mais originais e marcantes do século XX.

O arquiteto Oscar Niemeyer tem pouco tempo de vida à sua frente. Ele já apresenta evidentes sinais de debilidade física. Suas idéias políticas são inteiramente equivocadas, em minha opinião. Seu stalinismo é patético. Apesar disso, eu considero Niemeyer um dos artistas mais originais e marcantes do século XX.

I'm not very much into architecture, so it never occurred to me that an architect by the name of Oscar Niemeyer existed. After a brief investigation, it seems clear to me that I shouldn't bother.

Apart from him being ancient, which is obviously an asset when DL-nomination is at stake, the guy is completely uninteresting. Wiki states: "He was a pioneer in the exploration of the constructive possibilities of reinforced concrete." Right.

But it's quite interesting to see how our beloved Latin-American friends tend to disagree with me. Mr. Magno here says that Oscar Niemeyer's days has been counted. ('Debilidade física' is a very eloquent way of describing a body going downhill, isn't it? Would 'debilitating physique' be the correct English equivalent? I'm not too sure of my translational skills here.) Magno disagrees with Oscar's red sympathies, but still considers him to be the most original and prominent artist of the twentieth century.

I think most people missed this rather controversial statement, so I'd like to pose it again in English, which is (for good reasons) a more widely accepted language in this forum than Portuguese.

;) raider+Sep 26 2005, 02:36 PM-->

QUOTE(Tom(B) raider @ Sep 26 2005, 02:36 PM)
Apart from him being ancient, which is obviously an asset when DL-nomination is at stake, the guy is completely uninteresting. Wiki states: "He was a pioneer in the exploration of the constructive possibilities of reinforced concrete." Right.

But it's quite interesting to see how our beloved Latin-American friends tend to differ with me. Mr. Magno here says that Oscar Niemeyer's days has been counted.

I have to disagree, first of all the DL bases it's participents on

there fame in what they did in life not just there age.

Second the famousness is usually judged by if there

death will hit BBC news or not. ;)

As for Niemeyer's days being counted - I heard that he was well

and still actively working at age 97 so i suppose he couldn't be that

frail. Infact i believe sometime in early 2006 he exspects to finish

another project so he seems to be thinking ahead.

If it weren't for him to be actively working i would

think he would soon be at the top of the bright white

stairs to heaven but so far he has proved otherwise.

But overall still a good bet i say. .

Is he really that famous among the public at large though? I bet most people haven't heard of him. Sometimes I wonder about the people put on the Deathlist. Although if he dies before the year is out, I shouldn't really complain. :huh:

Talking of obscure Deathlist names, what about Sister Lucia, had anybody heard of her before she was listed.

Actually, yes I'd heard of her before, and I'm not even a Roman Catholic. I don't care about the alleged miracles, but I've always been fascinated by the incredibly well orchestrated mumbo jumbo that comes with them.

The reason I brought this thread back to life was not because I was questioning Niemeyer's fame, he obviously ís well-known throughout the world (as was the late lamented sister Lucia). The point is: I had my doubts about Niemeyer's status as one of the greatest artist of the twentieth century, as claimed by the portuguese-speaking guy. Modern art is not my cup of tea, but designing an incredibly big, new, ugly city somewhere in the jungle does not tickle my senses.

Guest Magno

Oscar Niemeyer é um homem digno e um artista brilhante. Tenho apreço e consideração por ele. Le Corbusier o considerava seu maior discípulo. Meus patrícios esperam que ele complete o seu centenário de vida antes de falecer. Oscar deu projeção internacional à arquitetura de meu país.

Oscar Niemeyer é um homem digno e um artista brilhante.

I wouldn't know. Niemeyer's an accomplished architect, very well known in Latin America. I know he built quite a bit of Brasilia, but calling him brilliant seems a bit over the top. There are other, equally famous, modern architects: Mies van der Rohe, Lloyd Wright, le Corbusier, Gropius and Rietveld, to name a few. Just because they built most of their designs in Europe and the USA doesn't make them any less brilliant. Of course. most of them didn't live as long as Niemeyer.

Tenho apreço e consideração por ele. Le Corbusier o considerava seu maior discípulo. Meus patrícios esperam que ele complete o seu centenário de vida antes de falecer. Oscar deu projeção internacional à arquitetura de meu país.

I understand your feelings, but there's more world than Brazil.

Does this post show that my father was an architect? :huh:

regards,

Hein

museu-oscar-niemeyer-curitiba.jpg  An example of Oscar's work, not really my taste.

I agree. It is not a very flattering work of art.

Regards,

ff

Guest iain

ITS THE KIND OF BUILDING THAT MIGHT BE DESIGNED BY A SENILE OLD MAN IN HIS 90S IN FACT... :angel3:

ITS THE KIND OF BUILDING THAT MIGHT BE DESIGNED BY A SENILE OLD MAN IN HIS 90S IN FACT... :angel3:

Caps lock broken again, Iain?

Happy Birthday

Oscar

98 today.

There were an awful lot of December birthdays on the list weren't there?

Guest a

Meus caros amigos, português é uma língua difícil, por isso quem fala português tem facilidade em aprender outras línguas. Assim como os russos e os chineses têm facilidade em aprender outras línguas.

My dearest friends, portuguese it's a difficult language, that's why those who speak portuguese can easily learn other languages. As well as russian and chinese people.

Meus caros amigos, português é uma língua difícil, por isso quem fala português tem facilidade em aprender outras línguas. Assim como os russos e os chineses têm facilidade em aprender outras línguas.

My dearest friends, portuguese it's a difficult language, that's why those who speak portuguese can easily learn other languages. As well as russian and chinese people.

(A)nd your point is?

:(

I disagree, my dear sir. Portuguese is indeed a difficult language, as is chinese or russian, but I never had the impression that people who had these as their mother tongue were significantly more capable of learning foreign languages. In fact, there's very little chinese people who understand english, let alone any other western tongue.