the_engineer

Ideas and Possibilities for 2020

Just another suggestion that came to mind, Mark Eden who played villain Alan Bradley in Coronation Street in the late 1980's. Will be 92 in February. Barbara Knox who plays Rita (who he tormented and attempted strangling or suffocating) gets a lot of mentions so thought I would put his name forward. Also the next man in Rita's life in Coronation Street was Ted Sullivan (played by William Russell) who still seems to be going strong and will be 95 in November 

29 minutes ago, Steve said:

Just another suggestion that came to mind, Mark Eden who played villain Alan Bradley in Coronation Street in the late 1980's. Will be 92 in February. Barbara Knox who plays Rita (who he tormented and attempted strangling or suffocating) gets a lot of mentions so thought I would put his name forward. Also the next man in Rita's life in Coronation Street was Ted Sullivan (played by William Russell) who still seems to be going strong and will be 95 in November 

Barbara gets a lot of mention because she has a drink (driving) problem (which the show itself actually takes the piss out of on a regular basis). 

OK. 

19 hours ago, Hosni Mubarak said:

The thing that strikes me about this list. 

All aged 80-100 and white.

Inclusivity not your strong point??

I think your missing the point. He doesn't want the Inclusivity pandered groups to die. He's keeping woke. 

My suggestions for next year:

Bring back:

Nicholas Parsons

Leslie Philips

Angela Lansbury

James Randi

Paul Gascoigne

Joni Mitchell

Jill Gascoine

Ray Kennedy 

Jerry Lee Lewis

Peter Alliss

Stanley Baxter

Olivia Newton John

Ozzy Osbourne

New entries

John Hume

Barbara Windsor

George Alagiah

Bill Turnbull

Terry Jones

Everton Weekes

Alain Delon

Trevor Peacock

Denis Goldberg

Luis Palau

Eddie Money

Ted Turner 

Sheila Mercier

Juliette Kaplan

Robert Fyfe

Sam Lloyd

Val Kilmer

Alex Trebek

Bernard Tapie

David Gulpilil

1 hour ago, Sean said:

My suggestions for next year:

New entries

George Alagiah

Bill Turnbull

Luis Palau

David Gulpilil

The first two ... well the first one is simply a dramatic whining cunt; the second isn't sick enough to warrant consideration for 2020.
The last two have less than zero (degrees Kelvin) of EVER getting a QO, a wasted space even on a DDP team.  I doubt Palau anything more than a pupil at the School or Alagiah tbh.
SC

18 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

The first two ... well the first one is simply a dramatic whining cunt; the second isn't sick enough to warrant consideration for 2020.
The last two have less than zero (degrees Kelvin) of EVER getting a QO, a wasted space even on a DDP team.  I doubt Palau anything more than a pupil at the School or Alagiah tbh.
SC

The first one has had stage IV cancer on and off for five and a half years and it keeps reoccurring.His long term prospects are very poor.He is a massive name in the UK.

Likewise Turnbull also has stage 4 can we but it has spread throughout his bones and he said he could not take chemo and came off it.Another huge UK name.The cancer is terminal and will get him sooner or later.

Gulpilil is a more contentious name but his roles in various films like crocodile Dundee and the Walkabout make him notable.He isn't an a listed but will definitely get a UK obituary maybe even 5 or 6.

Same goes for Palau.Will get many UK obits.

I mean the committee have chosen Clegg Downue and Christie in recent years.3 names I never expected to see on the list.

19 minutes ago, Sean said:

The first one has had stage IV cancer on and off for five and a half years and it keeps reoccurring.His long term prospects are very poor.He is a massive name in the UK.

Likewise Turnbull also has stage 4 can we but it has spread throughout his bones and he said he could not take chemo and came off it.Another huge UK name.The cancer is terminal and will get him sooner or later.

Gulpilil is a more contentious name but his roles in various films like crocodile Dundee and the Walkabout make him notable.He isn't an a listed but will definitely get a UK obituary maybe even 5 or 6.

Same goes for Palau.Will get many UK obits.

I mean the committee have chosen Clegg Downue and Christie in recent years.3 names I never expected to see on the list.

Gulpilil  will obit on the strength of Walkabout alone I'll wager. I'll admit I've never heard of Palau. 

• Like 3

Kuwait's Emir Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah was said to be gravely ill in mid-August, but according to state media he recovered from the setback. Now he has been hospitalized in the United States. Reminds me of Beji Caid Essebsi... or it is simply an excuse not to meet Donald Trump.

20 hours ago, drol said:

Kuwait's Emir Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah was said to be gravely ill in mid-August, but according to state media he recovered from the setback. Now he has been hospitalized in the United States. Reminds me of Beji Caid Essebsi... or it is simply an excuse not to meet Donald Trump.

People are dying to meet Trump

15 hours ago, Handrejka said:

Gulpilil  will obit on the strength of Walkabout alone I'll wager. I'll admit I've never heard of Palau. 

imo being in Rabbit-Proof Fence secures Gulpilil a Guardian obit, and that time he went to jail for beating the shit out of his wife secures him a likely Mail obit too.

Rabbit-Proof Fence and Walkabout are both in the pantheon of "teacher can't be bothered today so he'll just show an Important Movie" for different generations of kids in the UK.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2019 at 15:27, BCAlum2000 said:

Damn, Grim Reaper missed out on a major high profile celebrity.

Kevin Hart survives a MAJOR car crash.  He had not survived, he easily would have been the Most Shocking Celebrity Death of 2019 and would have probably been the highest profile celebrity to die this year.  

Death squandered its opportunity here...

https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/01/kevin-hart-car-accident-malibu-off-road-passengers-trapped/

Update by none other than The Rock.  Spine fractured in three places, sorted, rehab to begin.

In Chile we are hoping for the death of Lucia Hiriart (General Pinochet's widow) who is 96 years old (december 10th 1922)

20 hours ago, chilean way said:

In Chile we are hoping for the death of Lucia Hiriart (General Pinochet's widow) who is 96 years old (december 10th 1922)

Wtf, you stupid Gaurdian reader, 

Pinochet was a great man, probably in my all time top 20 dictators.

4 hours ago, Hosni Mubarak said:

Wtf, you stupid Gaurdian reader, 

Pinochet was a great man, probably in my all time top 20 dictators.

And his wife should be with him in the death...

13 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Aaron Carter diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, manic depression and anxiety.

Not necessarily in that order.

• Haha 1

On 05/09/2019 at 13:01, BCAlum2000 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7429863/Britney-Spears-reveals-new-brunette-hairdo-amid-family-drama-ex-Kevin-Federline-father.html

Britney Spears looks terrible.   She has struggled with mental health issues for the past several years and her career has stagnated.

One I would keep an eye out.  We still really haven't had a major young celebrity death for a while so I predict the Grim Reaper is looking to shock everybody soon.  Every year, there is usually 1 or 2 major celebrities who die real young and which shocks the nation.  Granted, this year we had Cameron Boyce and Nipsey Hustle, but neither of them are really big timers and didn't make big news outside of their fanbase.  

Sadly, Britney is off the rails again.  

My god she's 37?  Looks closer to 45/47.  Think you're right can't see her living into her 60s/ 70s.  Drug overdose or suicide. 

• Like 1

Dave Rainford is still missing from Eggheads, as I mentioned about 6 months ago, but is still appearing in the show's opening credits. Furthermore his Twitter account has been deleted - previously it stated that he was off the show due to illness, but he hoped to back on the show by now.

Radio 1Xtra DJ, DJ Ace has kidney failure and is waiting for a transplant. Bemoans the lack of donors from the BAME community. 

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Radio 1Xtra DJ, DJ Ace has kidney failure and is waiting for a transplant. Bemoans the lack of donors from the BAME community. 

Sadly alot is superstition, culture and religion.  If only the SJWs and leftists spent their time campaigning for things like this instead of pronouns, wallowing victimhood, faux sexism and blaming everything on white men. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_engineer said:

Sadly alot is superstition, culture and religion.  If only the SJWs and leftists spent their time campaigning for things like this instead of pronouns, wallowing victimhood, faux sexism and blaming everything on white men. 

b0c.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

b0c.jpg

More of a bloomer accept I'm the wrong side of 30 :D. Sadly stuck in millennial generation (the worst generation),  so just migrated to gen z. 

1566688396444.png.f2adbe60c40f06129cc59252e7359cb4.png

Just to throw this out here... 

Craig Douglas, UK pop star of the 60s and 70s, most notably with "Only sixteen".

He retired in 2010 because of ill health and is now 78 years old - recent article:

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/17901766.famous-pop-star-britain/

Edit: "Only sixteen", probably another song that wouldn't be made today..

12 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Just to throw this out here... 

Craig Douglas, UK pop star of the 60s and 70s, most notably with "Only sixteen".

He retired in 2010 because of ill health and is now 78 years old - recent article:

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/17901766.famous-pop-star-britain/

Edit: "Only sixteen", probably another song that wouldn't be made today..

Why?  It seems perfectly innocuous. 

I suspect this is another case of reading things into a title that simply aren't there.  See also 'Little Children' by Billy J. Kramer.

She was only sixteen, only sixteen
I loved her so
She was too young to fall in love
And I was too young to know.

We'd laugh and we'd sing, and do little things
That made my heart glow
She was too young to fall in love
And I was too young to know.

Why did I give my heart so fast?
It never will happen again
Coz I was a mere lad of sixteen
I've aged a year since then.