the_engineer

Ideas and Possibilities for 2020

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Well, it certainly seems as if hospitals exist to keep people alive.

Yes, and maybe if you are rich and famous you will receive better care than the Average Uncle Joe, even in a public system like in Italy. I'd like to know how many Kenyans get the futile treatment those fuckers of Moi and Kibaki are getting. Hey, and we are all human with equal dignity!

• Like 1

Was watching one of those Hallmark Christmas movie brain-destroyers last night.... is it me or does 2019 Patrick Duffy look like he may not have much time left?

themistletoesecret-mack-0024g-rt.jpg

38 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Was watching one of those Hallmark Christmas movie brain-destroyers last night.... is it me or does 2019 Patrick Duffy look like he may not have much time left?

themistletoesecret-mack-0024g-rt.jpg

Maybe just needs a shower to rejuvenate and bring himself back to life?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Idk if he is a good deathlist pick for 2020, but maybe William H Gates could be a pick for next year. He is the Father to Bill Gates and will be 94 about a week now. He was also diagnosed to alzheimer’s last year. 

On 11/11/2019 at 23:13, gcreptile said:

The testicular cancer of Jake Burton, inventor of the modern snowboard, has returned:

https://www.shop-eat-surf.com/2019/11/an-update-on-jake-burtons-health/

Not the first health crisis he had to face.

Another one for the "already?" pile... Jake Burton Carpenter dead at 65.

Of course you hip-hoppers haven't heard about this master of black.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Soulages

Pierre Soulages (French: ; born 24 December 1919), a French painter, engraver, and sculptor. In 2014 François Hollande described him as "the world's greatest living artist."

British lions egg chaserTom Smith is a nailed on dead cert (and any other adjective you care to use)after revealing a stage 4 colon cancer diagnosis.

On 07/09/2019 at 13:59, Donald said:

Manolis Glezos in ICU with respiratory failure. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/greece.greekreporter.com/2019/11/21/greek-resistance-fighter-and-politician-manolis-glezos-hospitalized/amp/

Though the situation was quite tragic it seems he is now stable. 

On 14/11/2019 at 18:50, drol said:

In July I made a list of famous hospitalized people. I think only 3 on 7 (Gigi Simoni, Everton Weekes, Balbir Singh) are still going. I think it is time for a new list:

1)Lata Mangeshkar (1929): on life support with pneumonia and heart failure. Family insists she is recovering and her life is not in danger. Hospital says she will be discharged in  a few days. Usual Indian scheme. 

2)Daniel arap Moi (1924): Hospitalized for the third time in a month. Was on life support two weeks ago and reportedly wanted to be left at home to die. Obviously according to the family he has gone for the usual "routine check up". 

3)Jimmy Carter (1924): suffered fall and cerebral hemorrhage. Now hospitalized for indefinite time, but rapidly getting better according to close people. 

4)Balbir Singh (1924): again in hospital, for the third time in a year. He spent two weeks on life support last year and is suffering from congestive heart failure. No hints at a possible death from family, though. 

5)Pedro Pablo Kuczynski (1936): Peruvian crook/president, hospitalized for cardiac arrhythmia in ICU. The Fujimori way, all along. 

For the "you can't escape forever" series, Everton Weekes hospitalized for "medical emergency".

• Like 1

Bob Gimlin turns 89 next year. Known for capturing 'Bigfoot' footage back in the 60s.

Was thinking of doing a thread for paranormal folk but didn't know if it was best just tying that to pyschics and skeptics. 

the-Patterson-Gimlin-Bigfoot-Film.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dean1991 said:

Bob Gimlin turns 89 next year. Known for capturing 'Bigfoot' footage back in the 60s.

Was thinking of doing a thread for paranormal folk but didn't know if it was best just tying that to pyschics and skeptics. 

There’s Sir Creep’s photo.  Bigfoot is real AF

375D14C5-5E8E-4428-84BF-17CF455EDF2B.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 21/11/2019 at 21:08, drol said:

Manolis Glezos in ICU with respiratory failure. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/greece.greekreporter.com/2019/11/21/greek-resistance-fighter-and-politician-manolis-glezos-hospitalized/amp/

Though the situation was quite tragic it seems he is now stable. 

Manolis Glezos out of ICU after decisive improvement in his conditions. Expected to be discharged soon. You need to be reeeaally unlucky to die nowadays.

6 minutes ago, drol said:

Manolis Glezos out of ICU after decisive improvement in his conditions. Expected to be discharged soon. You need to be reeeaally unlucky to die nowadays.

Here's a bit of Glasgow Zen from my grandfather (deceased): "Son, there's folk dying today that have never died before in their lives!"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Here's a bit of Glasgow Zen from my grandfather (deceased): "Son, there's folk dying today that have never died before in their lives!"

I know many things can not be fixed, but this world ranges from people who die suddenly in thei 30s/40s to old vegetables who need 456 mortal illnesses to finally "sadly" kick the bucket. So unfair. And I'm not angry with people, who, despite their age, are in good health. Dick van Dyke, Queen Elizabeth, Fauja Singh, many others have no real reason to die. But then you see those people who are cranky old (all in their late 90s!) and terribly ill who get the best care and always make it out till the next time. What is the point in continuing to live in such conditions? When you've had your life, and a long one too, you should learn to go peacefully.  Really few people understand this and refuse futile care (a noble behaviour which does not mean you are going to die... see Thich Nhat Hahn or Henry Gray); I incredibly admire Barbara Bush for taking the decision, she could have still been there in and out of hospital. But most of old people (and their families) are greedily attached to life, après moi le deluge, and don't even realize one day they will die too.

See how Lata Mangeshkar's family handled the situation! She has been "getting much better" for two weeks and still she is on life support. What's the point? You think a Bharat Ratna recipient can not die? Accept your own mortality, you are 90 years old, most people are decomposed by your age! No, all those guys, Moi, Balbir, Mangeshkar, Glezos, Kibaki, etc. are incredibly arrogant toward deaths. They think they won't die or so think their close ones. 

Jimmy Carter has said he is at peace with his own mortality, and that should be eulogized, as he could say usual bullshit like "I'm too busy to die, I'll live to 300, I'm getting better with age, etc.". Bad president, but a great man.

13 minutes ago, drol said:

I know many things can not be fixed, but this world ranges from people who die suddenly in thei 30s/40s to old vegetables who need 456 mortal illnesses to finally "sadly" kick the bucket. So unfair. And I'm not angry with people, who, despite their age, are in good health. Dick van Dyke, Queen Elizabeth, Fauja Singh, many others have no real reason to die. But then you see those people who are cranky old (all in their late 90s!) and terribly ill who get the best care and always make it out till the next time. What is the point in continuing to live in such conditions? When you've had your life, and a long one too, you should learn to go peacefully.  Really few people understand this and refuse futile care (a noble behaviour which does not mean you are going to die... see Thich Nhat Hahn or Henry Gray); I incredibly admire Barbara Bush for taking the decision, she could have still been there in and out of hospital. But most of old people (and their families) are greedily attached to life, après moi le deluge, and don't even realize one day they will die too.

See how Lata Mangeshkar's family handled the situation! She has been "getting much better" for two weeks and still she is on life support. What's the point? You think a Bharat Ratna recipient can not die? Accept your own mortality, you are 90 years old, most people are decomposed by your age! No, all those guys, Moi, Balbir, Mangeshkar, Glezos, Kibaki, etc. are incredibly arrogant toward deaths. They think they won't die or so think their close ones. 

Jimmy Carter has said he is at peace with his own mortality, and that should be eulogized, as he could say usual bullshit like "I'm too busy to die, I'll live to 300, I'm getting better with age, etc.". Bad president, but a great man.

Well Balbir Singh was still going on daily walks till 2017 so his body was likely more able to deal with illnesses than a couch potato with emphysema. (Also, I think the common link here with the rest is MONEY but should point out Singh was an amateur who worked full time as a policeman until retirement, so unlikely to have dictator or actor level money...)

Every person reacts differently, and every persons body acts differently. Leah Bracknell got fraud claims on here, and yet her positive thinking/lots of weed kept her directly bang in the middle of normal stats. Mrs Msc's Grandad got given weeks to live 12 years ago, immediately relaxed and took to drinking and is still with us - still terminally ill, it just sort of stabilised sans treatment until the day it kills him. Meanwhile mountain of a man I know who got a BBC obit got liver cancer. You'd think long struggle and it took him out in 10 days!

For all the medical care and treatment, life is very much a roll of the dice with luck.

Jimmy Carter's peace is good to see but who knows how anyone will react in that sunset. This is it, there is no great beyond after imo and finality is such a concept to get a brain around. I suppose you never know how you'll take dying till its staring at you personally.

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Well Balbir Singh was still going on daily walks till 2017 so his body was likely more able to deal with illnesses than a couch potato with emphysema. (Also, I think the common link here with the rest is MONEY but should point out Singh was an amateur who worked full time as a policeman until retirement, so unlikely to have dictator or actor level money...)

Every person reacts differently, and every persons body acts differently. Leah Bracknell got fraud claims on here, and yet her positive thinking/lots of weed kept her directly bang in the middle of normal stats. Mrs Msc's Grandad got given weeks to live 12 years ago, immediately relaxed and took to drinking and is still with us - still terminally ill, it just sort of stabilised sans treatment until the day it kills him. Meanwhile mountain of a man I know who got a BBC obit got liver cancer. You'd think long struggle and it took him out in 10 days!

For all the medical care and treatment, life is very much a roll of the dice with luck.

Jimmy Carter's peace is good to see but who knows how anyone will react in that sunset. This is it, there is no great beyond after imo and finality is such a concept to get a brain around. I suppose you never know how you'll take dying till its staring at you personally.

He got funded by Punjab government for cures. Actually accepting your mortality rather than refusing it should seems easy, but it is not.

In a Mangeshkar situation they should have said "She is a 90 year old on life support and everything could happen". No, they said "she is a singer and her lung capacity got her through, she is fine, she is doing better, Lataji is fine" and a mountain of dorkades. Carter made a sensible speech, and it is un uncommon feature.

Fair to assume they go in order, bottom to top?  (That's Brian Auger atop the stack)

77409668_2503026803301396_5558501186484568064_o.jpg

• Like 1

On 20 October 2019 at 16:12, Steve said:

Well I just for the hell of it I thought I would reveal my PROVISIONAL shadow list for 2020. I have put it here as I will put my official 2020 shadow list in that category in late December.                                         1) George Alagiah, 2) Alex Trebek, 3) Beverly Cleary, 4) Clarissa Eden, 5) Pearl Carr, 6) Robert Fyfe, 7) Bob Barker, 8) Henry Kissinger, 9) Bob Dole, 10) Leslie Phillips, 11) Stirling Moss, 12) Jill Gascoine, 13) Vera Lynn, 14) Sam Lloyd, 15) Sumner Redstone, 16) Clive James, 17) Nobby Stiles, 18) Little Richard, 19) Javier Perez de Cueller, 20) Peter Sutcliffe, 21) Norman Tebbit, 22) Ruth Bader Ginsberg, 23) Pierre Cardin, 24) Barbara Windsor, 25) Olivia Newton John, 26) Prunella Scales, 27) Jimmy Greaves, 28) Nicholas Parsons, 29) Gene Hackman, 30) Loretta Lynn, 31) Debra Paget, 32) Thelma Barlow, 33) Max von Sydow, 34) Willie Nelson, 35) Roberta McCain, 36) William Frankland, 37) Joanne Woodward, 38) Jean Louis Trintignant, 39) Stanley Baxter, 40) Larry King, 41) Barbara Walters, 42) Tony Britton, 43) Billy Connolly, 44) Rhonda Fleming, 45) Bill Turnbull, 46) Joan Bakewell, 47) Joss Ackland, 48) Geoffrey Palmer, 49) Honor Blackman, 50) David Prowse

Would this shadow list be acceptable to use if none of those listed die before January 1st 2020? Is it within the rules? 

4 minutes ago, Steve said:

Would this shadow list be acceptable to use if none of those listed die before January 1st 2020? Is it within the rules? 

It’s your list, so yeah, that’s perfectly fine. Make sure to name a couple of subs in case some of the above don’t make it to 2020. And if you would like to use that list as a crowdsource submission I will be happy to put it in. :) 

• Like 1

On 23/12/2018 at 15:57, Sir Creep said:

lol wow they let this thread go 8 days early.  Soon it will be November when it launches, etc.

Any day now then for the Ideas & Possibilities 2021 thread to open...

On 23/11/2019 at 08:13, dean1991 said:

Bloke in a suit btw - but Gimlin is likely obitable in the low hanger pools