the_engineer

Ideas and Possibilities for 2020

I left out Carter damn.Oh well one out of the 50 is bound to go before New year's Day.

Hmmm, didn't think of Ian Holm.  He's a good choice.  

Here is my 20 for 2020. 

Alex Trebek

Olivia Newton-John

Larry King

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Sam Lloyd 

Kirk Douglas

Bob Dole

Jimmy Carter

Bob Barker

Olivia De Havilland

Terry Jones

Loretta Lynn

Vera Lynn

Robert Wagner

Julie Strain

Val Kilmer

Eddie Van Halen

Billy Connolly

Ian Holm

Bill Cosby 

Terry De Havilland, shoe designer known as the “Rock n Roll Cobbler of the 1970s” has died at 81

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Terry De Havilland, shoe designer known as the “Rock n Roll Cobbler of the 1970s” has died at 81

Dang it! I thought it was Olivia De Havilland for a second. 

19 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Wrong thread, anyway.

On 14/11/2019 at 18:50, drol said:

In July I made a list of famous hospitalized people. I think only 3 on 7 (Gigi Simoni, Everton Weekes, Balbir Singh) are still going. I think it is time for a new list:

1)Lata Mangeshkar (1929): on life support with pneumonia and heart failure. Family insists she is recovering and her life is not in danger. Hospital says she will be discharged in  a few days. Usual Indian scheme. 

2)Daniel arap Moi (1924): Hospitalized for the third time in a month. Was on life support two weeks ago and reportedly wanted to be left at home to die. Obviously according to the family he has gone for the usual "routine check up". 

3)Jimmy Carter (1924): suffered fall and cerebral hemorrhage. Now hospitalized for indefinite time, but rapidly getting better according to close people. 

4)Balbir Singh (1924): again in hospital, for the third time in a year. He spent two weeks on life support last year and is suffering from congestive heart failure. No hints at a possible death from family, though. 

5)Pedro Pablo Kuczynski (1936): Peruvian crook/president, hospitalized for cardiac arrhythmia in ICU. The Fujimori way, all along. 

Let's update it two weeks later:

1)Lata Mangeshkar: Still in ICU, but family insists she is recovering fast and literally "not going anywhere". Probably will be discharged before next year.

2)Daniel arap Moi: Still in hospital, he has fully recovered and will be discharged in days.

3)Jimmy Carter: Recovered and discharged from hospital.

4)Balbir Singh: Recovered and discharged from hospital-

5)Pedro Pablo Kuczsinsky: Recovered and discharged from hospital.

Two bonuses:

Manolis Glezos: Recovered and shifted to a regular ward from ICU. Expected to be discharged within days.

Everton Weekes: Still in hospital, condition unknown.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, drol said:

Let's update it two weeks later:

1)Lata Mangeshkar: Still in ICU, but family insists she is recovering fast and literally "not going anywhere". Probably will be discharged before next year.

2)Daniel arap Moi: Still in hospital, he has fully recovered and will be discharged in days.

3)Jimmy Carter: Recovered and discharged from hospital.

4)Balbir Singh: Recovered and discharged from hospital-

5)Pedro Pablo Kuczsinsky: Recovered and discharged from hospital.

Two bonuses:

Manolis Glezos: Recovered and shifted to a regular ward from ICU. Expected to be discharged within days.

Everton Weekes: Still in hospital, condition unknown.

Manolis Glezos recovered and discharged from hospital.

Gaston Glock, Austrian engineer and founder of the Glock firearms company, 91 in July 

• Like 1

I was about to start a thread but let's not.  Rather, I will post HERE for people who should NOT be considered for 2020.

My quick review shows that @Joey Russ seems to be the lone person championing her, so let me burst his bubble, and anyone else who thinks Nicola Mendelsohn is going to die before 2025.

An average 20-year survival from diagnosis might look good on paper, but I’m in my 40s with a husband and four beautiful children that I want to see grow up. It’s not enough, and I’m not satisfied when we know that the knowledge and technology is available that puts a cure within our grasp.”

In the winter of 2016, Mendelsohn received the devastating news that she had the incurable blood cancer, follicular lymphoma.  “I was able to go about 18 months with it before I needed treatment, which I did last summer, and I had to have chemo and immunotherapy, which is not ... I mean, it was horrific. She emphasised that not all therapies and cancers are the same and that people can react very differently to treatment. The married mother-of-four praised the support of her family and doctors.  “I was able to work through. I had great support and I was lucky and I had great doctors and now this is part of me. I will continue to be monitored. I feel well. I feel good,” Mendelsohn said.

SC

Another NOT a possibility: Sam Lloyd.
"Hi everyone – here’s the latest (Oct 2019), long time coming update. Yesterday I saw the Doc and had blood work, and a body CT scan. I’m glad to report that the two remaining spots in my lung and liver have shrunk even more and are barely there. The large tumor that was in my lung next to the aorta is gone! My blood work showed that everything is still totally normal. We didn’t have my head scanned because my headaches have gone away completely and the doctor didn’t think it was necessary. When I have my next scan in three months- they’ll scan my brain as well as my body. But everything is good!

Yes we all know C can roar back and kick someone's arse quickly.  But this doesn't sound like 2020 fodder to me.

SC

After going over the list, I'll give my takes on which 25 should stick and who should be left to be forgotten until 2021.

Keep:

1. Bob Barker
  2. Pierre Cardin
  3. Jimmy Carter
  4. Olivia de Havilland
  5. Bob Dole
  6. Kirk Douglas
  7. Valery Giscard d'Estaing
  8. Jimmy Greaves
  9. Larry King
  10. Henry Kissinger
  11. Vera Lynn
  12. Hosni Mubarak
  13. Javier Perez de Cuellar
  14. Prince Philip
  15. Prunella Scales
  16. Nobby Stiles
  17. Jerry Stiller
  18. Barbara Walters
  19. Betty White

Fighting for final 6:

1. June Brown
  2. Mikhail Gorbachev
  3. Little Richard
  4. Stirling Moss
  5. Vanessa Redgrave
  6. Tina Turner
  7. Murray Walker

Forget:

• Emperor Akihito
  • Ed Asner
  • Harry Belafonte
  • Honor Blackman
  • Tony Britton (are you trying to tell me Fernando Ricksen, Lee Kerslake, Chris Doleman, etc etc etc are not big enough names for the list but a guy with a smaller Wikipedia page than Marieke Vervoort is?)
  • Cleo Laine
  • Loretta Lynn
  • Shane MacGowan
  • Sidney Poitier
  • Desmond Tutu
  • Dick van Dyke

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

I was about to start a thread but let's not.  Rather, I will post HERE for people who should NOT be considered for 2020.

My quick review shows that @Joey Russ seems to be the lone person championing her, so let me burst his bubble, and anyone else who thinks Nicola Mendelsohn is going to die before 2025.

An average 20-year survival from diagnosis might look good on paper, but I’m in my 40s with a husband and four beautiful children that I want to see grow up. It’s not enough, and I’m not satisfied when we know that the knowledge and technology is available that puts a cure within our grasp.”

In the winter of 2016, Mendelsohn received the devastating news that she had the incurable blood cancer, follicular lymphoma.  “I was able to go about 18 months with it before I needed treatment, which I did last summer, and I had to have chemo and immunotherapy, which is not ... I mean, it was horrific. She emphasised that not all therapies and cancers are the same and that people can react very differently to treatment. The married mother-of-four praised the support of her family and doctors.  “I was able to work through. I had great support and I was lucky and I had great doctors and now this is part of me. I will continue to be monitored. I feel well. I feel good,” Mendelsohn said.

SC

37 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Another NOT a possibility: Sam Lloyd.
"Hi everyone – here’s the latest (Oct 2019), long time coming update. Yesterday I saw the Doc and had blood work, and a body CT scan. I’m glad to report that the two remaining spots in my lung and liver have shrunk even more and are barely there. The large tumor that was in my lung next to the aorta is gone! My blood work showed that everything is still totally normal. We didn’t have my head scanned because my headaches have gone away completely and the doctor didn’t think it was necessary. When I have my next scan in three months- they’ll scan my brain as well as my body. But everything is good!

Yes we all know C can roar back and kick someone's arse quickly.  But this doesn't sound like 2020 fodder to me.

SC

Are you going to make one of these for Carlos Carrasco too, because it seems like you're stuck on people who would have never made the list in the first place based on fame. All you're doing is scratching people off the lists of folks who didn't do enough research themselves. So all you're accomplishing is doing all the work for them and thus making your competition better in the process, main case being Sam Lloyd. I would have loved seeing all the people who've been eyeing him since the news first broke on him (as evident in this post), but now I can't because of this effort to seem well-researched in the eyes of the forum. All I see from this is absolutely no thought of actually acknowledging the destruction you are doing to your own game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sign of the times with how vastly the deadpooling and forum landscape has changed from the early 2010s. Similarly, most attempts you see at Lee Evans gambits these days get followed up with an "actually, the cancer isn't that severe" by another poster within three hours.

Just so I get this right....
if a person posts a previously unknown name, provides a diagnosis and breaks the story with a link and places it in the proper thread, that is what is expected and acceptable.
if a person follows up with an antidote to the first post, refuting the claim or updating it with more promising news of continued health, that is unacceptable in deadpooling?
the difference eludes me.

Eh, it's okay, in my opinion. The main point of the forum should still be discussion. That includes saying when a person is doing better again.

• Like 1

The point wasn’t that it’s unacceptable and taboo, the point was that you willingly gave up information on a big name that you had no reason to and gained nothing from it. It’s worse the way you revealed it as well because, like I said previously, neither of the 2 names you mentioned would have ever been considered for the list regardless and this news has been made public since at least early October tmk. If it was posted like yesterday, I don’t think anybody would be questioning you. It’s basically why I shook my head at msc about posting month old news about David Hagen, however you could put that up to his own strategy or simply not seeing when the story was released. This is not that. 

Anyway, it’s not not ok to post, however I fail to understand your strategy spanning from not only 54321 and Alt, but now DDP as well. 

12 minutes ago, Banana said:

The point wasn’t that it’s unacceptable and taboo, the point was that you willingly gave up information on a big name that you had no reason to and gained nothing from it. It’s worse the way you revealed it as well because, like I said previously, neither of the 2 names you mentioned would have ever been considered for the list regardless and this news has been made public since at least early October tmk. If it was posted like yesterday, I don’t think anybody would be questioning you. It’s basically why I shook my head at msc about posting month old news about David Hagen, however you could put that up to his own strategy or simply not seeing when the story was released. This is not that. 

My "strategy" is slightly diluted by co-hosting next years DDP, but in general, its highly inspired by Agatha Christie. How do you disguise a tree? In a forest. How do you disguise one murder? In a series of murders. How do you disguise one crucial DDP pick? In a forest of useless or badly worded ones...

Alternatively, one of her great stock twists is the unbreakable alibi ie: when you point to one person so that people don't go looking for other possibilities you have decided not to mention...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Banana said:

Anyway, it’s not not ok to post, however I fail to understand your strategy spanning from not only 54321 and Alt, but now DDP as well. 

Ahh David Hagen - thanks Banana I'd forgotten about him :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think we're on the level of quintuple-bluffs now when it comes to DDP misdirection? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, what about Marian Cisovsky?

Never mess with Poirot! :o

I'll be completely honest, I never knew casually mentioning a mere MND case would cause such a stir. Remind me not to bring up Matthew Watkins or Daryl Grove on the forum then!

• Like 1

Hm, what about US congressman Ron Wright? Maybe he will be a good choice for 2020...

43 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Well, what about Marian Cisovsky?

And then of course there's Jason Becker.