Death Impends

Hartlepool Deadlypool 2019

Dang, this is bad, right?  Got the wrong end of my list early.

Skinny kiltrunner

50-45-40 Fernando Ricksen
45-40-35 Shivakumara Swami
40-35-30 Karen Lewis
35-30-25 Samu Anoa'i
30-25-20 Andrew McGahan
25-20-15 Andrew Fairlie
20-15-10 Chris Wilson
15-10-__ Steffan Lewis - died January 11
10-05-10 Jean-Louis Trintignant
05-__-__ Kevin McIntyre - died January 2 + unique bonus

2 minutes ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Dang, this is bad, right?  Got the wrong end of my list early.

Skinny kiltrunner

50-45-40 Fernando Ricksen
45-40-35 Shivakumara Swami
40-35-30 Karen Lewis
35-30-25 Samu Anoa'i
30-25-20 Andrew McGahan
25-20-15 Andrew Fairlie
20-15-10 Chris Wilson
15-10-__ Steffan Lewis - died January 11
10-05-10 Jean-Louis Trintignant
05-__-__ Kevin McIntyre - died January 2 + unique bonus

On the bright side... highly promising if you have JLT on your DDP team!

• Like 1

it's 'bad' but better to have deaths than not.  I'm still stunned McIntyre died at all, he JUST announced he was stepping down 90 days ago.  What a pussy.  The old Pat Conroy cancer fight.  Did anyone else think McIntyre announced his death sentence when he stepped down, I want a show of hands (DDP all the  hands I need -- a solo hit).

Shirley Boone, the wife of the looney tune who once sang about a Looney Tune, has died. A boon to Sir Creep, the only one to pick her. 50 base points plus 20 unique points provides a hefty 70.

As for whether or not to implement a fringes penalty on her - I have decided not to. Pat Boone was a pretty big entertainer in his heyday, and Shirley did do some professional collaborations with him (such as various duet albums and featuring in several Pat Boone TV specials). This had all occurred decades before the reports of her ill health late last year. Borderline, but I've previously indicated I would err on the side of lenience with the borderline fringey cases.

"Hello points..." said LFN. The only one to pick Carol Channing, and a very astute decision. His first hit, and in his second slot, so 45 base points. Plus bonuses for uniqueness, Squares, and pantomime = 108 bonus points in all. This adds up to a total of 153 points!

The update of the masterlist post will have to wait till later today, but the second scoreboard (and first with actual hits) can be posted right now...

Lord Fellatio Nelson

Sir Creep

nantonian2013

Skinny kiltrunner

drol

Sean

Prophet

YorkshireBanker

markb4

=10.

Phantom of the Midway

=10.

the_engineer

=12.

Everyone else

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very astute/impressive (however you want to call it) pick by LFN.

Probably more impressive for Channing, what with it being her CV, mind you. :D

• Like 1

Stunning that without any medical reason he slotted Channing #2 (an indication she would die shortly).   Clairvoyant SOB.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Death Impends said:

"Hello points..." said LFN. The only one to pick Carol Channing, and a very astute decision. His first hit, and in his second slot, so 45 base points. Plus bonuses for uniqueness, Squares, and pantomime = 108 bonus points in all. This adds up to a total of 153 points!

The update of the masterlist post will have to wait till later today, but the second scoreboard (and first with actual hits) can be posted right now...

Lord Fellatio Nelson

Sir Creep

nantonian2013

Skinny kiltrunner

drol

Sean

Prophet

YorkshireBanker

markb4

=10.

Phantom of the Midway

=10.

the_engineer

=12.

Everyone else

Aye, awesome pick LFN - truly impressed with  that start

• Thanks 1

Two HPDP-relevant deaths reported in the past day: sommelier Gerard Basset (picked by 5 teams) and Australian bluesman Chris Wilson (picked by 2 teams). Basset has yet to receive an appropriate obit (I think he has a good chance of a broadsheet obit, but that may take time), but Chris Wilson has received a Sydney Morning Herald obit. As gcreptile picked both, and it's possible they died on the same day, I'll wait till the dust settles on Wilson's date of death (have yet to see a specific date reported) to update the masterlists. Looking into it, it does seem more likely Wilson died first, but I will wait to make a decision.

The other team besides reptile to pick Wilson was Skinny kiltrunner, who continues his misfortune with the lower names going first and gets 10 points.

8 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Two HPDP-relevant deaths reported in the past day: sommelier Gerard Basset (picked by 5 teams) and Australian bluesman Chris Wilson (picked by 2 teams). Basset has yet to receive an appropriate obit (I think he has a good chance of a broadsheet obit, but that may take time), but Chris Wilson has received a Sydney Morning Herald obit. As gcreptile picked both, and it's possible they died on the same day, I'll wait till the dust settles on Wilson's date of death (have yet to see a specific date reported) to update the masterlists. Looking into it, it does seem more likely Wilson died first, but I will wait to make a decision.

The other team besides reptile to pick Wilson was Skinny kiltrunner, who continues his misfortune with the lower names going first and gets 10 points.

Well, I'd have thought (without doing too much research, I'll admit) as Basset died on the morning of the 16th UK and Wilson died presumably in Oz on either the 16th or 17th their time, that technically Basset died first due to the time difference. Otherwise Wilson would have had to have died UK time at some point on the latter part of the 15th.

Have I made this too convoluted? It works in my head....

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, I'd have thought (without doing too much research, I'll admit) as Basset died on the morning of the 16th UK and Wilson died presumably in Oz on either the 16th or 17th their time, that technically Basset died first due to the time difference. Otherwise Wilson would have had to have died UK time at some point on the latter part of the 15th.

Have I made this too convoluted? It works in my head....

That's what I thought at first. But despite the news site reports of Wilson's death coming quite some time after those of Basset, a Twitter search reveals the first "RIP Chris Wilson" type tweets actually predate the first ones for Basset by a few hours. So it's a wash.

• Confused 1

Oh just give a daily double bonus and I'll be happy! (Sorry)

• Like 2

Basset QO for Hartlepool.

EDIT: Actually reading the article, not sure if that’s the real Le Figaro...

Btw, Basset's family say he died yesterday, but the SMH obit for Wilson yesterday said he died "earlier this week". imo as its Thursday, Wilson probably died first.

1 minute ago, msc said:

Btw, Basset's family say he died yesterday, but the SMH obit for Wilson yesterday said he died "earlier this week". imo as its Thursday, Wilson probably died first.

Other articles dated 17th January (Oz) suggest he died on 17th. So it's crazy beans.

It's a DI ruling, which will only come into play if Basset actually gets a QO.

Good luck to all concerned, ha!

Telegraph and Le Figaro obits both counting for Basset. (that link Joey posted counts as it is indeed the Le Figaro paper, specifically a wine subsection of it)

Still no exact date of death for Wilson. For the time being I will be treating him as an earlier death than Basset as that seems the most likely case. So gcreptile receives 45 points for Wilson and 20 for Basset. If we get confirmation Wilson's death was Jan 16 I will award a daily double bonus.

The others to pick Basset were:

Phantom of the Midway: 50 points

CaptainChorizo: 45 points

drol: 40 points

msc: 25 sub points

• Like 1

Wait... there is a daily double bonus???

Not specifically in the rules, but do remember this addendum:

The host also reserves the right to reward further, minuscule bonuses to teams - often less than a point!

• Like 1

Seems that if we continue the trend of my bottom picks dying first, then Jean-Louis Tritignant and Andrew Fairlie are on borrowed time.

37R8RByzW32YjHD0ws.gif

• Like 2

And we have a date for Chris Wilson.

A statement from his family on Friday said he "passed away early on Wednesday… peacefully at home in the arms of his loving family. He was incredibly courageous and strong until the end." They also thanked Wilson's fans for their "support, love and good wishes," and requested privacy.

Same day as Basset. Both were "earlier today" deaths so Wilson remains presumed the earlier death due to being in Australia. Another 5 points thrown Reptile's way for a daily double.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

And we have a date for Chris Wilson.

Same day as Basset. Both were "earlier today" deaths so Wilson remains presumed the earlier death due to being in Australia. Another 5 points thrown Reptile's way for a daily double.

Very much appreciated!

The world's oldest man, Masazo Nonaka, has died, giving YorkshireBanker his first hit. The second time this year where a team's first hit is a unique placed dead last on their team! 7 points come YB's way.

The man of infinite Sris and few functional organs, Shivakumara Swami, has died, and takes with him any flicker of possibility human immortality is a thing (though the deaths of Clive Dunn and Zsa Zsa pretty much destroyed that anyway). Despite forum legend status, the obit wasn't a clear cut thing, but 4 teams kept the faith with the decrepit guru and are rewarded with swift wires obits for Sri Sri.

maryportfuncity had him perched atop his team and gets 50 points.

theoldlady and John Key both pick up 45.

Skinny kiltrunner gets more than 10 points from a hit for a change, and receives 30.

We truly have a game going now... here be the next scoreboard:

Lord Fellatio Nelson

=2.

gcreptile

=2.

Sir Creep

Skinny kiltrunner

drol

Phantom of the Midway

maryportfuncity

=8.

CaptainChorizo

=8.

John Key

=8.

theoldlady

nantonian2013

msc

YorkshireBanker

Sean

Prophet

markb4

the_engineer

=18.

Everyone else

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So, Ms Blanco takes pole position on my team - it'd be asking a lot for the first place pick to be first to go, again...right?

HPDP

Shivakumara Swami – DEAD 21 JAN

Kathleen Blanco

Tim Conway

Keith Cass

Jean-Louis Trintignant

Roberta McCain

Lee Kerslake

Nobby Stiles

Michael Robinson

Bob Hawke