Sign in to follow this  
Cowboy Ronnie

William Rehnquist

9...interesting

He's finally meeting the supreme judge up in heaven.

He is my first hit of my 2nd year on Rotten.com' deadpool site. Only posted my ten name list on Thusday night - I'm now listed at position 9,618. Nine more to go.

But i've missed adding him to my Derby Dead Pool list - what an over-sight!

William Rehnquist is dead.

Deathlists 9th success of 2005.

Deathlists 134th success since 1987.

The 2005 list is now the seventh most successful (7/19) shared with 1994, 1995 and 1997.

So we're doing not too bad.

Why did he keep working if he was so old and sick? It wasn't like he was Pope or anything.

Not a very happy home life, would be my guess.

He was a stubborn man who was hanging on to life to keep George Dubya Bush from nominating another Supreme Court judge and further screwing up the US.

Why did he keep working if he was so old and sick? It wasn't like he was Pope or anything.

Not a very happy home life, would be my guess.

I don't think it was his home life, as his wife Natalie also died from cancer on Oct 17th, 1991.

He was probably alarmed at President Bush's undemocratic behaviour and decided to hang on as long as possible.

_40761132_rehnquist_ap_203.jpgvictor_meldrew.gif

Victor Meldrew and Chief Justice Rehnquist.

:) I dont believe it!

William Rehnquist, the US Chief Justice, has died aged 80, giving DeathList its 9th hit of the year. Rehnquist was a key figure in reducing the time taken for the appeals to be completed in death penalty cases in the US. It is therefore somewhat appropriate that he checked out on his first appearance on the DeathList, coming in at number 7 this year. DeathList 2005 now seems poised for a respectable score this year, with several high quality candidates still eluding the Reaper…

On the homepage, William Rehnquist’s demise is listed as number #7 on the 2005 deathlist when it should be listed as #9.

On the homepage, William Rehnquist’s demise is listed as number #7 on the 2005 deathlist when it should be listed as #9.

It meant he was ranked number 7 this year...but I can see the cause of the confusion and have amended the wording :0

It has been decided that William Rehnquist to be buried at Arlington Cemetery, on Tuesday September, 6. :)

My first ever real DL death. How cool.

Well played everyone.

Condolences to the family and all that.

It looks like President Bush is not wasting anytime to extend his influence on the U.S. Supreme Court. The Chief Justice position is usually reserved for someone who has already served on the Supreme Court for many years. Instead, Bush has gone outside the court and has nominated conservative judge, John Roberts to replace William Rehnquist as Chief Justice.

If Judge John Roberts gets comfirmed as Chief Justice, President Bush will have absolute control over the U.S. Supreme Court. :)

Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice

It looks like President Bush is not wasting anytime to extend his influence on the U.S. Supreme Court.  The Chief Justice position is usually reserved for someone who has already served on the Supreme Court for many years.  Instead, Bush has gone outside the court and has nominated conservative judge, John Roberts to replace William Rehnquist as Chief Justice. 

If Judge John Roberts gets comfirmed as Chief Justice, President Bush will have absolute control over the U.S. Supreme Court.  :) 

Bush names Roberts top US judge

Sorry to disagree with you here FF.

First off, it is the exception, rather than the rule, that the Chief Justice comes from the sitting members. Of the 16 Chiefs since the Court was established (in 1789), only 3 were sitting Associates (White in 1910, Stone in 1941, and Rehnquist in 1986).

Secondly, given that Rehnquist was a conservative justice, first appointed by Nixon and then elevated by Reagan, the oppointment of a conservative replacement will not alter the balance of the court.

And of course, the appointments never work out the way they were planed. Eisenhower appointed Earl Warren as a conservative Chief Justice, and he promptly turned out to be much more liberal and reforming judge, overseeing the major civil rights rulings during the 50's and 60's.

Chief Justice of the United States

Guest IYG

Well then, I must say I'm not shocked to hear about his death. Knew it was coming this year.

I don't like the idea that Bush wants Roberts as the new chief justice but Bush is an idiot anyway.

Hip hip for deathlist.

I'm not as concerned about Roberts being a chief justice as I am whomever is going to be nominated to O'Connor's spot.

Alberto Gonzalez has been a name in circulation, and my bet is that he's even more conservative than Roberts. Bush wouldn't have re-nominated Roberts to Chief Justice unless Roberts was likely to be confirmed as Chief -- meaning, he has to appeal to both Democrats and Republicans alike. He's under a finer microscope than the other Jusice that Bush nominates will be.

So, with all that in mind, I think the most conservative Justice appointed by Bush will be the one that he names NEXT -- not Roberts.

I'm not as concerned about Roberts being a chief justice as I am whomever is going to be nominated to O'Connor's spot.

Alberto Gonzalez has been a name in circulation, and my bet is that he's even more conservative than Roberts. Bush wouldn't have re-nominated Roberts to Chief Justice unless Roberts was likely to be confirmed as Chief -- meaning, he has to appeal to both Democrats and Republicans alike. He's under a finer microscope than the other Jusice that Bush nominates will be.

So, with all that in mind, I think the most conservative Justice appointed by Bush will be the one that he names NEXT -- not Roberts.

You're inferring another vacancy is likely, so who's gonna snuff it or retire?

Supreme Court vacancy.

It is explained in paragraphs 6 and 7. (Actually, sentences 6 and 7!)

Let me explain. Sandra Day O’Connor had announced her resignation from the U.S. Supreme Court on July 1st. John Roberts was originally nominated to replace her, but then Chief Justice Rehnquist died. So President Bush re-nominated John Roberts to be Chief Justice.

Sandra Day O’Connor has agreed to stay on until Bush finds a replacement for her, so the pressure is off him for the time being. Albert Gonzalez is one person who has been rumored to be under consideration to replace her.

You mean, other than O'Connor, who has already said she's retiring?

<crickets>