Gooseberry Crumble

Julie Goodyear - Coronation Street legend

I thought it was way over time that Coronation Street  legend Julie Goodyear who played soaps ultimate brassy barmaid and feisty pub landlady Bet Lynch  was given her own thread .Bet

is synonymous with Britain's longest running TV

soap in its heyday and has become one of the shows most well known and widely recognised characters despite having never appeared for years  .She occupies a very unique place in soap history whether you are personally a fan or not. The fact she is a heavy smoker of decades and is iner seventies and visibly struggled in one of her more recent media appearances and had to be carried onto the set  of a TV gameshow makes it timely and apt in my opinion that she has her own thread in place.

She is not just any old run of the mill soap star she is an iconic Soap Queen.

https://goo.gl/images/JMRPUQ

PS I seem to have lost my knack of posting photos can anyone kindly please oblige or advise ?Thank you.

• Like 1

583d871581513-e1480502534370-900x540.jpg

I'll oblige - it's what brassy Bet would want!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Much obliged cock ;)

• Haha 1

Should be on next years list.

• Like 1

This thread needs more leopard print.

betleopardL_415x485.jpg?w968

• Like 3

9 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

A wave of appreciation sent your way! Thank you .I just wish I could get the hang of posting pictures again but nevertheless a great photo.:)

6 hours ago, the_engineer said:

This thread needs more leopard print.

betleopardL_415x485.jpg?w968

Love It! I think that was taken when she returned to Coronation Street in 2002 for a stint that was shorter than expected shall we say?!;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Love It! I think that was taken when she returned to Coronation Street in 2002 for a stint that was shorter than expected shall we say?!;)

Couldn't hack the more intense production of the noughties. When they had four episodes a week as to the two episodes per week of her hey-dey.

Goodness knows how she'd cope with the 6 episode a week schedule nowadays....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tv/coronation-street-top-boss-wants-21411871

Apparently Julie Goodyear has been in secret early talks with Corrie bosses about returning for the shows 60th anniversary in December. 

The last time she returned it was a disaster.

It was that much of a disaster that they cut short her deal and fucked her off pronto.

17 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

The last time she returned it was a disaster.

It was that much of a disaster that they cut short her deal and fucked her off pronto.

Indeed they did!I remember really looking forward to her 2002 return and enjoying her verbal spats with ex friend Rita and then it just all fell apart she couldn't handle the increased workload.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tv/coronation-street-top-boss-wants-21411871

Apparently Julie Goodyear has been in secret early talks with Corrie bosses about returning for the shows 60th anniversary in December. 

I reckon this is bollox and more likely her agent leaking non existent talks in the hope that they’ll invite her back as a result.........!

5 minutes ago, Dead Wait said:

I reckon this is bollox and more likely her agent leaking non existent talks in the hope that they’ll invite her back as a result.........!

That is very cynical of you!:o:D

Just read the news on another  thread  helpfully  posted by  @The Old Crem that Julie Goodyear was absent from the 60th anniversary  celebration  programmes for Coronation Street after months previously  being sort of  billed as going to appear.

A very ominous sign for her health in my opinion and definitely a strong argument  for the committee to consider when compiling next years list.

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Just read the news on another  thread  helpfully  posted by  @The Old Crem that Julie Goodyear was absent from the 60th anniversary  celebration  programmes for Coronation Street after months previously  being sort of  billed as going to appear.

A very ominous sign for her health in my opinion and definitely a strong argument  for the committee to consider when compiling next years list.

IIRC, she left the street, after her much trumpeted reappearance, much sooner than she was meant to and under a bit of a cloud.

That may be why she did not appear for the 60th anniversary show.

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

IIRC, she left the street, after her much trumpeted reappearance, much sooner than she was meant to and under a bit of a cloud.

Apparently  ITV  approached her earlier this year?

I remember a combination of not being able to keep up the pace now corrie makes more episodes and rumours and allegations she still thought she was Queen of the show and  thus rubbed some people up the wrong way were behind her early  departure after her corrie return in 2002 ! A flop   given she was supposed to be back for at least up to two years minimum and it was more like  ten weeks!:D

• Like 1

There's some "national treasures" that I just do not understand. She never comes across great for me, one of those channel-their-own-unhappiness-in-to-being-an-arse types (in my opinion :angely:)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joneseuro said:

There's some "national treasures" that I just do not understand. She never comes across great for me, one of those channel-their-own-unhappiness-in-to-being-an-arse types (in my opinion :angely:)

I don't think you are the only one that isn't too keen on her.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, joneseuro said:

Her character is a national treasure and you got to remember that's who most people see her as. 

Re the documentary. The news at the time definitely had her down as appearing for interviews, not just approached. This was in July,  so something hapenned - though with Julie this could be she wasn't happy with the interview and backed out rather than ill health, it could be ill health. 

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

She has popped up several times on ITV produced documentaries so they don’t hold a grudge, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Apparently  ITV  approached her earlier this year?

I remember a combination of not being able to keep up the pace now corrie makes more episodes and rumours and allegations she still thought she was Queen of the show and  thus rubbed some people up the wrong way were behind her early  departure after her corrie return in 2002 ! A flop   given she was supposed to be back for at least up to two years minimum and it was more like  ten weeks!:D

My old neighbour used to work on the sets, the rumours of her rubbing people up the wrong way were very much accurate. As I remember didn’t her “comeback” end up lasting all of 2 episodes?? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JR976evil said:

My old neighbour used to work on the sets, the rumours of her rubbing people up the wrong way were very much accurate. As I remember didn’t her “comeback” end up lasting all of 2 episodes?? 

Two weeks rather than to episodes. 

There's an interesting doc somewhere we're Bill Tarney says all the old guard knew she wouldn't last a minute under the newer much more 'film it move on to the next' style and harder workload due to her being 'a perfectionist' and a few other veiled indications she was a PITA. 

I think there was also references to physical health issues and stress issues related to fellow cast members selling stories on her. 

27 minutes ago, JR976evil said:

It was more than two episodes  but it was very  short! Weeks rather years! Big storylines and story arcs scrapped and rewritten. 

Sounds like you might be in possession of some juicy gossip!:D

20 minutes ago, Not Deathers said:

Two weeks rather than to episodes. 

There's an interesting doc somewhere we're Bill Tarney says all the old guard knew she wouldn't last a minute under the newer much more 'film it move on to the next' style and harder workload due to her being 'a perfectionist' and a few other veiled indications she was a PITA. 

I think there was also references to physical health issues and stress issues related to fellow cast members selling stories on her. 

Pita?