2 hours ago, Curiosity said:

Kevin Fret, an apparent icon for the LGBTQ+ community was gunned down in Puerto Rico, at age 24. I didn't know who this person was until today, but it's still very disheartening to hear about someone so young being killed. Still trying to discern what sites you guys believe to be credible sources. Hoping the New York Times will suffice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/us/kevin-fret-dead-puerto-rico.html

You sound rather new here, so just letting you know it was posted in the Somewhere Over the Rainbow thread, where many of the LGBTQ+ community obits are placed.  FYI

SC

Sad news from BBC North West. Dianne Oxberry has died having been the weather presenter for 20+ years having been on Radio 1 Breakfast with Simon Mayo before in the early 90s.

(Mods- please move to correct thread as I’m at work so can’t look thanks)

Edited by philheybrookbay

Is this not the correct thread for all dead along with a special thread. Otherwise this thread is the Dead of 2019 (who somehow dont fit somewhere else.) rather than all dead.

Maths lover Michael Atiyah at 89 according to NYT. 

Can't link on this phone.   

Just seen this was posted yesterday 

Edited by dean1991
Info already posted

13 hours ago, dodrade said:

Cancer Expert Professor Martin Gore dies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46836877

For a moment I feared it was Martin Gore from Depeche Mode.

Posted elsewhere (Doctor Doctor thread) 1/2 a day earlier.  Please use the search box pre-post.  

24 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Posted elsewhere (Doctor Doctor thread) 1/2 a day earlier.  Please use the search box pre-post.  

Wasn’t posted in this thread though, so it’s fine. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 05/01/2019 at 09:51, Sir Creep said:

Damn I could have swore someone started a thread for odd - unique - off the grid sports.  Oh save the butthurt defensiveness, you know what I mean.
Anyway, search x10 can't find it.  So....here's where Irish hurling goes, I guess.

Could have used a thread like that again today -- just a week later.  This time --- bowling.

A member of the (Philippines) national bowling team was killed by a lone gunman  in San Juan City on Friday.  The victim was identified as Angelo Nathaniel Constantino.

Based on the information they have gathered, the police official said Constantino worked as a bowling coach and won a gold medal in the World Youth Championship in Venezuela in 1992.

The shooting happened at the second floor of the E-Lanes Bowling Center in Barangay Greenhills at around 5 p.m.  According to a witness, the gunman posed as a customer and even talked with the cashier.  The assailant pulled out a handgun and shot Constantino once in the head. The victim died while being rushed to a hospital.  The suspect escaped through the parking area at the basement."

SC

Does this year's list have the highest proportion of over 90s ever in the history of this endeavor?

It feels that way. #lowhangingfruit

51 minutes ago, asxz said:

Does this year's list have the highest proportion of over 90s ever in the history of this endeavor?

It feels that way. #lowhangingfruit

Yeah

#medicalsciencemakesuslivelonger

No one has ever mentioned how the DL has lots of 90+ year olds before
#masteroftheobvious
#welcometodeathlistnewbie

21 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

No one has ever mentioned how the DL has lots of 90+ year olds before
#masteroftheobvious
#welcometodeathlistnewbie

I was hoping for a more data-driven response, although I will certainly cop to being a forum noob.

It seems that the list in 2019 has a higher proportion of 90+ year olds than in previous years. Given that he success rate last year was slightly lower than if you threw a bunch of darts at an issue of the Radio Times, perhaps some out of the (satin-lined wooden) box thinking is called for.

So, following the smackdown I received, I went and ran some numbers. This is the proportion of people aged 90 or more at the time they appeared on the list over the past decade.

• 2019 - 60%
  • 2018 - 62%
  • 2017 - 58%
  • 2016 - 56%
  • 2015 - 64%
  • 2014 - 62%
  • 2013 - 62%
  • 2012 - 52%
  • 2011 - 56%
  • 2010 - 50%

I'd call that inconclusive, although clearly my perception was wrong. 2019 certainly is right in the middle of the range of the past few years, but one could make the case for creeping inflation since 2010.

Interestingly, 2012 was the last year that none of the top 5 was aged over 86 and we lost the entire top 3 that year.

• Like 1

Oh sad to hear that Carol Elaine Channing  has died. (January 31, 1921 – January 15, 2019) 

1 hour ago, The Cosgroves said:

Oh sad to hear that Carol Elaine Channing  has died. (January 31, 1921 – January 15, 2019) 

So am I; I had her in the fucking Survivor pool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sam Savage, Windy City pick for DI in 2016/2017 has died aged 78.

CIA officer Tony Mendez, who saved hostages during Iran revolution and was portrayed by Ben Affleck in Argohas died at 78.

7 minutes ago, drol said:

CIA officer Tony Mendez, who saved hostages during Iran revolution and was portrayed by Ben Affleck in Argohas died at 78.

Called this one 18 months ago as one to watch:

Then promptly forgot until you just mentioned it there. It happens!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paul "Legs" Barrett, author, actor, and was the first manager of Shakin' Stevens, has died at the age of 78.

2019-01-21 08.23.08.png