Me waiting for the next Deathlist hit

20190503_234329.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Was posted two hours earlier in the Star Wars thread.  Bit of a miss there.

SC

Agree, presicted his death, booth Mayhew, Fisher, and Baker has been big dearh missed, so I think we should take back on the list, and also maybe James Earl Jones 

32 minutes ago, Putin said:

Me waiting for the next Deathlist hit

20190503_234329.png

The way this year has not materialised should make next year's Deathlist very interesting.Lots of names at this rate will need to be dropped and their are lots of survivors from previous years that could be brought back.I fear the committee will be very conservative next year.

I note that had the Deathlist went with a random old person who survives the year rather than Z lister Dai Llewelyn in 2009 it would only be one hit so far. And that list made it to 12 hits! So don’t give up too soon...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Putin said:

Agree, presicted his death, booth Mayhew, Fisher, and Baker has been big dearh missed, so I think we should take back on the list, and also maybe James Earl Jones 

Carrie Fisher wasn't a miss. She had some mental health problems in the 2000s and some drug problems in the 80s, but I don't consider her as a miss. I don't think Kenny Baker was one either. He was only 82 and his only known health problem was Dwarfism, but there are people who can get over 100 with this disorder, and we wouldn't put Peter Dinklage or Warwick Davis on the Deathlist too.

I don't know if Peter Mayhew was a miss, he had some serious health problems in the last years, but if he was a miss he wasn't a big miss.

I think it would be okay to put James Earl Jones on the list next year, there are certianly worse picks on the list this year than him (like Dick Van Dyke, Shane MacGowan or Tina Turner), but I think there would be better picks than him.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sean said:

The way this year has not materialised should make next year's Deathlist very interesting.Lots of names at this rate will need to be dropped and their are lots of survivors from previous years that could be brought back.I fear the committee will be very conservative next year.

I think Emperor Akihito, Dick Van Dyke, Valery Giscard d'Estaing, Ed Asner, Vanessa Redgrave, Tina Turner and Shane MacGowan should be dropped, not sure about the other 18.

Nancy Fouts, creative behind the Silk Cut advertisements of the 1980s among other stuff, dead at 74

large_225669_VQ77h9OGOkfT3GvUtIQMOgm63.j.

On 04/05/2019 at 16:34, Spade_Cooley said:

Nancy Fouts, creative behind the Silk Cut advertisements of the 1980s among other stuff, dead at 74

large_225669_VQ77h9OGOkfT3GvUtIQMOgm63.j.

Likely many of those impressed by the advertising to the point they bought the fags lasted way less time than she did!

56 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Likely many of those impressed by the advertising to the point they bought the fags lasted way less time than she did!

June Brown for example. NO!

• Like 1

Oft-mentioned around these parts (mainly by me) "Queen of Swing" Norma Miller dead at 99.

EDIT: Full-scale NYT obituary for Miller here, great read.

And one who wasn't even worth pencilling in on your 2020 shortlists as he was clearly not going to make it that far, Canadian humanitarian, theologist and founder of international charity L'Arche, Jean Vanier, dead at 90.

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:51, Spade_Cooley said:

Oft-mentioned around these parts (mainly by me) "Queen of Swing" Norma Miller dead at 99.

EDIT: Full-scale NYT obituary for Miller here, great read.

Full scale Telegraph Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2019/05/07/norma-miller-dancer-popularised-lindy-hop-us-across-europe/

Agree with those who are saying it's been a really slow year this year so far.

It will pick up later in the year though - it always does.

Don't see this year's list getting much more than about 10 hits though to be honest

• Like 1

Sometime Pogues producer Stan Brennan reported dead:

Pretty good source, but it is a Twitter report.

18 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Sometime Pogues producer Stan Brennan reported dead:

Pretty good source, but it is a Twitter report.

FFS - another McGowan intimate who's gone before him!

7 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

FFS - another McGowan intimate who's gone before him!

I think Shane McGowan actually died about 30 years ago but know one bothered to tell his liver, it must be pickled by now. I think every Christmas when I hear the fairytale  of New York ‘How the fuck is he still here and he will definitely dead this time next year’ but Christmas comes around again and he’s still going. McGowan is indestructible.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fergie86 said:

I think Shane McGowan actually died about 30 years ago but know one bothered to tell his liver, it must be pickled by now. I think every Christmas when I hear the fairytale  of New York ‘How the fuck is he still here and he will definitely dead this time next year’ but Christmas comes around again and he’s still going. McGowan is indestructible.

Even getting married (often an indication of impending death in the long-term unwed) hasn't killed him.

3 hours ago, Toast said:

Even getting married (often an indication of impending death in the long-term unwed) hasn't killed him.

Hmm

The drinking has been moderated since he broke his pelvis.

However, his liver will likely do for him in the end. His Wiki page claims he was medicated with Guinness as a five year old to help him sleep.

34 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

His Wiki page claims he was medicated with Guinness as a five year old to help him sleep.

Well ..... I had a very early introduction to Guinness myself.  We lived with my grandmother, who used to have bread and cheese and a bottle of Guinness for her supper every night.  From as early as I can remember, I used to sit with her in the kitchen and be given a share of this, including the Guinness which was decanted into a miniature beer mug for me :D

My mum regaled me and others many a time about my birth in the family home. The midwife attended on a Saturday morning and brought about a safe delivery. The following day our family doctor paid a visit (on a Sunday :o) to make sure everything was OK and gave my mum a half pint bottle of Guinness. She didn't like Guinness, so she gave it to my dad.

1 hour ago, Cat O'Falk said:

My mum regaled me and others many a time about my birth in the family home. The midwife attended on a Saturday morning and brought about a safe delivery. The following day our family doctor paid a visit (on a Sunday :o) to make sure everything was OK and gave my mum a half pint bottle of Guinness. She didn't like Guinness, so she gave it to my dad.

Damn, Cat, I thought you were going to say she gave it to you :(

That might have set some kind of record :evil2:

• Haha 2

What did we do to piss off the Death List Gods? Gordon Banks is blocking everyone else from getting in.

On 03/05/2019 at 15:40, Prophet said:

Carrie Fisher wasn't a miss. She had some mental health problems in the 2000s and some drug problems in the 80s, but I don't consider her as a miss. I don't think Kenny Baker was one either. He was only 82 and his only known health problem was Dwarfism, but there are people who can get over 100 with this disorder, and we wouldn't put Peter Dinklage or Warwick Davis on the Deathlist too.

I don't know if Peter Mayhew was a miss, he had some serious health problems in the last years, but if he was a miss he wasn't a big miss.

I think it would be okay to put James Earl Jones on the list next year, there are certianly worse picks on the list this year than him (like Dick Van Dyke, Shane MacGowan or Tina Turner), but I think there would be better picks than him.

Kenny Baker was a miss, but that was because I had insider information based on his last US appearance he told his doctor no even though he was told he shouldn't fly. Plus he fell at the show and it was nasty

• Like 1