Grim Reaper

Bob Hawke

Great pick. Think he's going next year...

Well done, for picking up the very recent news.

Not quite sure he's one for 2019, but yeah, 80% sure is still a good rate.

• Like 1

Guest The Brain

He said he's not sure he can last until the 2019 federal election (due by 18 May).
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-29/bob-hawke-reveals-terrible-health-labor-to-win-federal-election/10673364

Who ? 

1 hour ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

What part of Bob Hawke - Ex Australian PM isn't clear to you? ;)

Sorry but i live in Britain, Australian politics isn’t big news here. I would doubt this guys death would even be reported. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

He will die next week now and the 4 page telegraph obituary will make me look slightly silly but until that happens I stand by what I said.

Not a health update, but a look at the 2 cleaners who have seen off seven PM's since Hawke hired them.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/the-pair-who-have-cleaned-every-prime-minister-s-office-since-bob-hawke-20190121-p50soe.html

Wonder if he'll go to next Friday's "Bob Hawks 2019 pub crawl"?

https://m.latest.facebook.com/events/806809706334528/

Wonderful quote (no doubt made up)......

"Any young person who doesn't show up to this event is a bum" - Bob Hawke, 2019

On 02/03/2019 at 17:13, charon said:

Wonder if he'll go to next Friday's "Bob Hawks 2019 pub crawl"?

https://m.latest.facebook.com/events/806809706334528/

Wonderful quote (no doubt made up)......

"Any young person who doesn't show up to this event is a bum" - Bob Hawke, 2019

It is a parody of this very Prime Ministerial statement by Hawke when Australia won the America's Cup in 1983:

• Like 1

Flogged his des res for A$14M as downsizing as he gets frailer.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/celebrity-homes/111274822/bob-hawke-to-sell-sydney-home-for-14m

* I do wonder at this..... If that close to the End, he wouldn't be doing this surely?

Don't know how the Aussie IHT equivalent works, but there may be sound financial reasons for flogging the house and gifting the cash before he dies to reduce the tax bill for his heirs.

No inheritance tax in Australia.  I think this is very wrong.  Because your primary place of residence is exempt from asset assessments for the calculation of eligibility for social security (old age pension) many of the older folk will hang on to their house (which might be worth 1-2 million dollars or more) where they could sell their house and move into smaller and more manageable accommodation and live off the proceeds.  This policy would be electoral suicide if either party suggested it.  Meanwhile the oldies are sitting on this huge asset, eventually die and leave a very tidy inheritance to the next generation.  To make all of this affordable and sustainable either the house has to be considered as an asset for social security or there has to be an inheritance tax.  I'm ok...in fact I'm in the gonna inherit a house eventually category but it all seems like a bit of a Ponzi scheme which will be paid for by the next generation.

• Like 2

On 18/01/2019 at 21:53, Fun-e-ral said:

Sorry but i live in Britain, Australian politics isn’t big news here. I would doubt this guys death would even be reported. 

I'd say he was quite well known in the UK and has featured in countless news bulletins down the years, though admittedly not many in the last decade or so.

Most of the American media stars/actors & actresses on the list, by contrast, I had never - or only vaguely - heard of until I came on here (excluding Tina Turner, whose Burrow Deep Mountain High is still fondly remembered in these parts).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hawke said before Christmas that he might not live long enough to see Labor topple the Coalition-the election has been called for May 18.  I doubt that he'll croak before then but he is looking very frail and he has lived hard at times. 

The Australian Labor held their official campaigne launch in Brisbane on Sunday.  There they trotted out all of the living former Labor Prime Ministers except Bob Hawke.  Probably doesn't mean too much-maybe just doesn't want to be seen in the same room as Keating, Rudd and Gillard, but could be another indication of declining health.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2019 at 02:41, Dr_T said:

The Australian Labor held their official campaigne launch in Brisbane on Sunday.  There they trotted out all of the living former Labor Prime Ministers except Bob Hawke.  Probably doesn't mean too much-maybe just doesn't want to be seen in the same room as Keating, Rudd and Gillard, but could be another indication of declining health.

Wrote an Op-ed with Keating. The Launch was in Brisbane while Hawke lives in Sydney.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/election-2019/2019/05/06/bob-hawke-labor/

Dead. RIP. Almost made the election he was desperate to see.

• Confused 1

Never thought he was gonna be the 3rd hit and so soon in addition... RIP

• Like 1

Woo-Hoo

On a DDP roll this week two down in almost as many days and hit #5

I'll check how far I've surged once I can do it away from a work computer

Bob Hawke has just passed away two days prior to the Australian election