Grim Reaper

Tony Britton

Well done to the committee. And to @JD'eath, mostly.

Tony is Skynews 'Breaking News' worthy this morning 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Well... very well done by the committee! Seemingly just "random old UK guy to me", but they saw something.

This!

Never heard of him before.

Anyhow: Another hit!

Famous in his day. Maybe one of those familiar faces that you can't put a name too. Prominent in many old British films. 

I think it was me who was talking about Tony Britton before most and mentioning him as a candidate for the Deathlist but anyway...

One of the main reasons I picked him was because I'd seen a few pictures of him over the last few years starting with being at Dinah Sheridan's memorial service and him looking frail (and then remembering I'd last seen him act about 22 years previously!)

RIP to a very good character/comedy actor who was probably the last of his generation to star in 2 1970s/1980s comedies - Robins Nest and, of course Don't Wait Up (where Nigel Havers plays himself as usual!). Also he was in a good amount of other stuff including The Day Of The Jackal. 

And not forgetting he's one of the last British acting talents who was also a Second World War veteran.

95 is a very good age to reach but I was thinking he'd get to next year as the months went by.  Don't Wait Up started 36(!) years ago when he was supposed to be a semi-retired doctor even then!

• Like 4

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

Clearly Didn't Wait Up for 2020

Yep - he clearly did not.  I always tend to pick very old choices for candidates as I like to play it 'safe' and think being in your 90s is just not tragic like when, say someone a lot younger dies like Leah.

I think Tony's departure has made a perfect spot for Lesley Phillips to come back next year as he is also getting on (and was a surprise omission for the committee in 2019) - I don't think he has long left but people on here thought he would have gone years ago already!

Or maybe the last of the sitcom giants of the 1970/1980s who is in his 90s - Geoffrey Palmer..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RolandDeschain said:

Yep - he clearly did not.  I always tend to pick very old choices for candidates as I like to play it 'safe' and think being in your 90s is just not tragic like when, say someone a lot younger dies like Leah.

I think Tony's departure has made a perfect spot for Lesley Phillips to come back next year as he is also getting on (and was a surprise omission for the committee in 2019) - I don't think he has long left but people on here thought he would have gone years ago already!

Or maybe the last of the sitcom giants of the 1970/1980s who is in his 90s - Geoffrey Palmer..

I was just thinking how the committee really should bring back Phillips.

Palmer is 92 now but looked pretty good still on the Stanley Baxter documentary the other week.

• Like 1

Daily Mail reported his daughter Fearne Cotton announced the news on Twitter.Stellar journalism from them as usual.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sean said:

I was just thinking how the committee really should bring back Phillips.

Palmer is 92 now but looked pretty good still on the Stanley Baxter documentary the other week.

Yes - he is doing very well to get as far as he has. Some people thought that picture of him in the wheelchair signalled the end whereas others thought he looked OK (and wasn't that from late 2016?!)

One of the reasons I mentioned Geoffrey is his last acting credit is Paddington from 2014 - he was working very steadily until then although maybe he just had enough and wasn't about to give up on life! 

I need to to be watching more of these documentaries for research purposes! Wasn't that where both the imminent fate of Jim Bowen and Leslie Grantham was predicted?

Phillips has definitely outlived the odds. He is one of the miracles of medicine we have the opportunity to witness here.

51 minutes ago, Sean said:

Daily Mail reported his daughter Fearne Cotton announced the news on Twitter.Stellar journalism from them as usual.

megalolz

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

kuntz.thumb.jpg.56289b21c8daf3087b8ef7044d826a72.jpg

• Haha 3

FWIW, this is the sixth year in a row where the DL's oldest debutant has died, following Luise Rainer, Kirk Kerkorian, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, David Rockefeller, and Barbara Bush. :old:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, philheybrookbay said:

You chased the wrong ambulance.....:D

B***dy Hell! I only registered with the Forum last night to post having been reacquainted with him this week  - perhaps I should carrying a scythe around!!!     :scratchhead:

5 hours ago, msc said:

I was just going over the list last night and thought Tony was a cert to be dropped by the Cmme.

Everyone's a critic these days...:D

One of the best at being 7th or 8th in the credits in a 1970s film, imo.

I’d say he’d had been a cert drop just for notability alone. Idk much about 1960s British media, but his Wikipedia don’t look so spectacular. Just based on looks alone he probably would’ve gone in the next year or so. So...

17 hours ago, JD'eath said:

Have been watching Robin's nest on DVD, as it turns out and, sadly, Richard O'Sullivan might be a better bet for next year's list!

He is now ! :(

17 hours ago, JD'eath said:

Have been watching Robin's nest on DVD, as it turns out and, sadly, Richard O'Sullivan might be a better bet for next year's list!

Be honest, did you know something when you posted that last night ?! :huh:

You're not the actual grim reaper by any chance are you ? :lol:

I wait to see your pick for the 14th death with great interest ! Gorbachev would be a great one to end the year and decade with, esp as it's the 30th anniversary of the end of the cold war ! But it's your choice ! ;)

3 hours ago, Death Impends said:

FWIW, this is the sixth year in a row where the DL's oldest debutant has died, following Luise Rainer, Kirk Kerkorian, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, David Rockefeller, and Barbara Bush. :old:

Rosalind carter should be a debutant next year.. but so could David Attenborough. 

• Like 2

On 22/12/2019 at 10:41, Bibliogryphon said:

Respected theatre actor. Started in numerous sitcoms and father to very famous light entertainment presenter. 

Not that light...