Guest Theo

Brooke Astor

Sorry about posting that twice....it told me that flood something or other had been enabled & I didn't think the first one had been posted. Apologies again.

C'm on BHB, be honest, you're just an old post whore.

She might be getting googled a lot because the net is wall to wall with dead pools and she's a prime contender in a lot of them.

Spring blooms death. In the summer temperatures are on a rise. Either way the A\C don't help a 104 year old woman. On or off.

Banshees: Thanks for the ray of hope. She was a pick on my DDP team and I selected her from a lengthy list including a couple now dead - Galbraith and Floyd Patterson. Patterson at 71 would have netted more points. Surely she's can't last until March 31st 2007.

Oh but she so can!!!Ive got a funny feeling Ms Astor is guna be about for a few years to come 110 sounds about right!

Just for a moment when I read this I thought Brooke Astor has expired. Apparently I was wrong.

For now that is.

I absolutely abhore, loathe, detest, despise philanthropists. Such a disgraceful waste of money, any of these miserable persons who performs these allegedly charitable deeds should be ridden out of town on the freight rails.

I absolutely abhore, loathe, detest, despise philanthropists. Such a disgraceful waste of money, any of these miserable persons who performs these allegedly charitable deeds should be ridden out of town on the freight rails.

Well, it very much depends on the kind of charity he or she is contributing to. I would consider a donation to one specific and extremely poor dutch student a noble cause and a great way to 'waste' your money.

Spending it all on libraries and schools that should be paid for by the government (i.e. by taxpayers' money) is just an extremely stupid way of legitimizing the ridiculous american view on public facilities. (Which is, of course, that it doesn't matter how ragged those facilities are as long as the extremely rich can keep as much of their fortunes as they can.)

[Well, it very much depends on the kind of charity he or she is contributing to. I would consider a donation to one specific and extremely poor dutch student a noble cause and a great way to 'waste' your money.

Spending it all on libraries and schools that should be paid for by the government (i.e. by taxpayers' money) is just an extremely stupid way of legitimizing the ridiculous american view on public facilities. (Which is, of course, that it doesn't matter how ragged those facilities are as long as the extremely rich can keep as much of their fortunes as they can.)

A noble cause would be making a contribute to me for the upkeep of this 42 room sieve. Are you familiar with the cost of redoing a slate roof?

A noble cause would be making a contribute to me for the upkeep of this 42 room sieve. Are you familiar with the cost of redoing a slate roof?

No, but obviously you are. In fact, I had to check my dictionary to find out what a 'slate' roof is, and I still don't have a clue. Probably nothing that google can't solve (should I bother).

No, but obviously you are. In fact, I had to check my dictionary to find out what a 'slate' roof is, and I still don't have a clue. Probably nothing that google can't solve (should I bother).

English "slate roof" equals Dutch: "leien dak".

groet,

Hein

Do you not have a subscription to Slate Roof Quarterly? A google search can help or visit them directly at Slate Roof

English "slate roof" equals Dutch: "leien dak".

groet,

Hein

The 'leien dakje' is of course a dutch proverb, but I never quite realised that they really existed. My mistake. Should have read the suggested magazine but I was too busy cutting out my eyes.

I'd like to add 104 and on my WDP list. Got to give the old bird some respect mind, she's got some stayin' power.

I could do with the assistance of a philanthropist right now, what's her phone number? Does anyone know if she'd buy me a new house or, failing that, a second hand car? Due to her advanced years, money could be getting tight - full time nursing care costs a bomb - in which case I'd settle for £50 cash and a trinket from her personal collection. :)

I could do with the assistance of a philanthropist right now, what's her phone number?

Well, eight Astors in the state of New York, none of them named Brooke.

I suppose a notoriously rich philanthropist could do with a secret number...

Even if any of us gave ol' Brookie a phone call, does anyone honestly think she'll be able to hear the person on the other end?

I've driven past her family estate in Newport, Rhode Island...I wouldn't mind living in that. Never been in the place, since there's a standard adult admission price of US$18 and I can't rationalize spending that on a mansion tour. Thank you kindly, I'll take a couple pictures from the street, if you don't mind.

I could do with the assistance of a philanthropist right now, what's her phone number?

Well, eight Astors in the state of New York, none of them named Brooke.

I suppose a notoriously rich philanthropist could do with a secret number...

It's very simple to be unlisted. My phone number is unlisted due to the annoyance of constant calls of advertisment. So i'm pretty much impossible to reach - But these salesman do find ways to get around it.

Wish I knew how? :)

It's very simple to be unlisted. My phone number is unlisted due to the annoyance of constant calls of advertisment. So i'm pretty much impossible to reach - But these salesman do find ways to get around it.

Wish I knew how? :skull:

My private phone number is unlisted and every now and then one of those horrible telephone survey people gets through. I always refuse to answer questions before they explain where they got my number from. Apparently they use randomly generated numbers.

My being listed in the yellow pages gets local printed media the idea that I'm always willing to advertise in their rubbish, fortunately they sollicit their immoral services on my business number.

regards,

Hein

Here's how to get yourself off a company's list. Verbatim from my life a few months back.

RING RING!

Them: Can I speak to the owner of the business, erm Maryport is it?

MPFC: F**k off! (HANGS UP)

A COUPLE OF MINUTES LATER

RING RING!

Them: Do you always tell people to F**k off?

MPFC: Yeah, F**k off! (HANGS UP)

Haven't had a speculative call since. Repeat this behaviour and - one by one - they stop bothering you.

Here's how to get yourself off a company's list. Verbatim from my life a few months back.

RING RING!

Them: Can I speak to the owner of the business, erm Maryport is it?

MPFC: F**k off! (HANGS UP)

A COUPLE OF MINUTES LATER

RING RING!

Them: Do you always tell people to F**k off?

MPFC: Yeah, F**k off! (HANGS UP)

Haven't had a speculative call since. Repeat this behaviour and - one by one - they stop bothering you.

Reminds me of how I got rid of a pair of pushy Jehova's Witnesses.

First time I told them politely that I wasn't interested in their beliefs.

Second time I told them that I'm a druid, and a busy druid at that.

Third time I told them to piss off.

They came back, so I invited them in, while I was dressed as I was born. They declined and never returned.

regards,

Hein

I just stared at them and asked if I'd have to give away my Black Sabbath albums if I joined. Strangely they seemed unprogrammed for that one. The fact they never came back suggests when they took it back to supervision or whatever they do when they touch base they decided I was a lost cause.

Reminds me of how I got rid of a pair of pushy Jehova's Witnesses.

First time I told them politely that I wasn't interested in their beliefs.

Second time I told them that I'm a druid, and a busy druid at that.

Third time I told them to piss off.

They came back, so I invited them in, while I was dressed as I was born. They declined and never returned.

regards,

Hein

That tops what I was planning on doing the next time Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door. Answer the door wearing a sock and a rubber band.

invited them in, while I was dressed as I was born. They declined and never returned.

They might have been witnesses for the prosecution if they'd stepped inside.

invited them in, while I was dressed as I was born. They declined and never returned.
They might have been witnesses for the prosecution if they'd stepped inside.

Walking around naked inside a private place is legal in the Netherlands, as long as it can't be easily seen from the outside. Strictly speaking answering the door naked is, though.

regards,

Hein