The Mad Hatter

Thoughts and opinions on the death list 2019

There's 23 similarities with their list and my list. As for the other 27 names, mine will doubtlessly piss all over theirs.

With a little step back i would say

1) where the fuck is Newton-John 

2) where the fuck is the pope ??? 

3) why jean louis Trintignant is not in ?

4) why Lee Kerslake is not in ?

5) why Turner ?? 

6) Where are Sheila Mercier and Norman Lloyd ??

Anyway a risky list (i think) but we’ll see, hope it will work well 

• Like 2

Looks like my long running Harry Belafonte suggestion has finally convinced the committee, Shane McGowan long overdue. Cleo Laine an interesting choice. Leslie Phillips and Jill Gascoine potentially fatal drops. Had a feeling Dick Van Dyke would stay on. Committee sees sense to bring back Nobby Stiles. 

• Like 1

Best list I've seen the Committee publish since I've been here (3+ years)

• Like 2

Some good first picks like John Mcririck who I doubt can last another year. Also good to see Mikhail Gorbachev make a first appearance.Lots of low hanging fruit from last year so I think we should be able to do better than 12 this year !

One gripe I do have is that Leslie Philips was taken off.I'm sure he'll go any minute , in fact I bet he'll be the first 'miss' of the  year ! Also I fear we'll regret taking Pope Benedict off the list. But apart from that fairly good.  

Good list overall. Glad to see Bob Hawke made the cut.

The only problem I see is that Dick Van Dyke made the list but he is seemingly still quite spritely, as he has a cameo in the new Mary Poppins sequel! I would have dropped him and kept Olivia.

It is always a very big gamble to drop huge names like the Queen and Pope Benedict. Both seem to be in fine form recently since the Pope has really rallied in recent months but they will be the biggest misses of all time if they die and the Committee will have egg on its collective face for eternity. The risk is theirs. :D

• Like 2

Benny/Phillips definitely shock drops. Would've dropped Van Dyke for one or the other. Glad to see Gorbachev and Poitier finally on - a lot of fairly good newcomers besides them at that.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ebless said:

Looks like my long running Harry Belafonte suggestion has finally convinced the committee, Shane McGowan long overdue. Cleo Laine an interesting choice. Leslie Phillips and Jill Gascoine potentially fatal drops. Had a feeling Dick Van Dyke would stay on. Committee sees sense to bring back Nobby Stiles. 

I think Dick van Dyke should have been taken off.Just seen him in Mary Poppins Returns and he's as sprightly as someone 50 years younger ! 

Kinda surprised that Tim Conway, Bill Turnbull, Barbara Windsor, and Queen Elizabeth II didn't make it, but otherwise, I'm pleased with the list.

It’s a good list imho , whilst I don’t think we’ll get the 2017 heights, a good 14 will fall.

Agree on the miss of Jill Gascoine however but we’ll see

7 hours ago, msc said:

Clegg is a South African musician from the 80s who got banned for being anti-apartheid, but was absolutely massive since (and a Whistle Test style audience fave in the West). Also has relapsed pancreatic cancer.

Baker is 80 soon and has had COPD for years. Touring but it'll catch up before long.

Redgrave has smoking related lung issues. Sounds and looks a lot frailer than she used to for much of 2017-18.

COPD to be precise.Also had a serious heart attack in 2015.

• Like 1

Clegg MacGowan Hawke and Walters are good shouts.

Shocked Philips Gascoine and ONJ are off this year's list.

Equally astounded George Alagiah  Trintignant  Tim Conway and Bill Turnbull aren't on the list.

At least Nobby and Chirac are back.

A very mediocre list overall.

Not to criticize, but the list is rather mediocre. Only excellent new name is Bob Hawke. Stiller and Britton are decent, Greenspan, Walters, Belafonte, Redgrave, Poitier, Asner, Laine, King, Turner, MacGowan, Baker are all wasted picks.

• Like 3

Glad to see Cleo Laine in there. Tina Turner an interesting choice. Was not even on my long list until the end of last year.

Quantity over quality.

1 hour ago, drol said:

Not to criticize, but the list is rather mediocre. Only excellent new name is Bob Hawke. Stiller and Britton are decent, Greenspan, Walters, Belafonte, Redgrave, Poitier, Asner, Laine, King, Turner, MacGowan, Baker are all wasted picks.

I disagree with on King tho that dude is in his 80s and has lung cancer. 

Would have dropped June Brown for someone who would be to big to miss or someone clearly ill.

Not impressed that Dick Van Dyke is on there. Have any of you seen the recent Mary Poppins? Disappointed that neither Geoffrey Palmer nor Joss Ackland have been included. 

Dropping Olivia Newton-John and Leslie Philips also look bad calls. 

• Like 1

I don't understand the thinking behind "too big to miss".  Surely it should be about their likelihood of dying, not their fame or position?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I don't understand the thinking behind "too big to miss".  Surely it should be about their likelihood of dying, not their fame or position?

I've been saying the same for a while now on here.

They always prioritize the big names, even if they are less likely to die, over the somewhat less well known who are at death's door.

Anyway!

Happy new year everyone...

So thoughts?

Decent list, better than last year's, but not perfect by any means.

Some great new names on there for sure, but some other very important names missed out!

Dropping Pope Benedict and Leslie Philips was a poor decision.

And some of the new names towards the bottom of the list are poor picks.

Tina Turner is the worst pick on the list this year for me.

• Like 1

Congratulations, I like the list. john wtfcirick is the only obscure choice for my taste, he may be old, ill or whatsoever, but really famous he is not. On the other side there are so many brave choices, new and big names.  Gorbatchev or Tina Turner are real famous people that everyone knows in every hidden corner of the world.

Happy and Healthy new Year to all of you :pop:
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:
Congratulations, I like the list. john wtfcirick is the only obscure choice for my taste, he may be old, ill or whatsoever, but really famous he is not. On the other side there are so many brave choices, new and big names.  Gorbatchev or Tina Turner are real famous people that everyone knows in every hidden corner of the world.

Happy and Healthy new Year to all of you :pop:

John McCririck is the sort of person who really has zero importance beyond the British Isles, but ask any person in the UK if they know "that guy from the horse racing with the massive sideburns" and guaranteed a majority will recognise him

He also feels like a very natural choice for the number 50 spot so surprised he hasn't been put in that position

• Like 2

Am very surprised ONJ has been dropped when the rumors are not good.

• Like 1