The Mad Hatter

Thoughts and opinions on the death list 2019

11 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Perhaps we shouldn't be panicking just yet. In 2014 the second hit did not occur until 6 April and there were 12 hits in total that year. On the other hand 2016 had 5 hits by this time.

Aye, it's been a strange year for a lot of the lingerers - Torme being the most recent - cashing in whilst a lot of the nailed-on candidates linger.

Still fairly hopeful the DL 50 will offer up double figures of death by close of play. I'm banking on some of them on the long-run deadpools.

Well, 4 particularly good years for deadpooling I can recall were 2009, 2012, 2015 and 2017. The Deathlist did pretty good in all, but started very slowly, with 3rd hits not happening till May, even.

Just copying and pasting my response from 2015 and 2017 even 2017's 3rd hit was actually in March.

Look, we all know the score. Death isn't regular, its random, especially with the oldies. The DL can have a random death per month (as last year mostly went) or snooze for ages then suddenly have 6 successes in 5 weeks. They all equal out in the end. Patience, eh? Mugabe, Mubarak and Bryan Adams will die one day, but then, so will Bernard Cribbins, Tom Baker and Ozzy Osbourne.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have tried assessing the relative fame of the picks this year but I have to compare these to those who do not appear on the list.

There are two lists that we can look at The Drop 40 for DDP picks and the Crowdsourced Deathlist.

So the drop 40 contains 18 names that are not on the main list.

Six of those have made previous appearances on the list.

QEII last appeared in 2017 and the general consensus seems to be safe until Philip goes yes to fame no to illness.

Of the five names that were on last year's list three (Leslie Philips, Pope Benedict & Jill Gascoine) are just those who are removed because of the only 25 return rule. Some will be back next year.

Paul Gascoinge and Linda Nolan I think were poor picks and it was right for them not to return.

So the remaining 12

Fernando Ricksen - Popular in these parts but footballing achievements negligible. 

Kathleen Blanco - very ill no European recognition

Greg Gilbert - Ill but on the edge of fame

George Aligiah & Bill Turnbull both ill and instantly recognisable in UK but limited international recognition

Marieke Vervoort wil she won't she. 

Tim Conway - one for the Americans

Lee Kerslake - Do non front me count?

RBG - A possible miss if she is that ill. Still working

JLT - Cinema buff pick. I would not have complained if he had been included

Andrew  Fairlie - Dead but not really a miss as did not pass the fame barrier

Terry Jones - Possibly the one who most deserved a place out of these 12.

I will look at the Crowdsourced next.

• Like 2

Too many with a few years left in them yet on the list because they're "Too famous to miss".

• Like 1

People that are newer to this are just comparing this year to the past 2 or 3 because of the rate of big hits. There's actually nothing unusual about 2019 and big names have gone like Keith Flint and Albert Finney, just that they didn't  happen to appear on the list. 

I think it'll be a 2009 repeat with somebody of Michael Jackson level fame going in the summer accompanied by a host of less famous names but still newsworthy. 

1 minute ago, dean1991 said:

People that are newer to this are just comparing this year to the past 2 or 3 because of the rate of big hits. There's actually nothing unusual about 2019 and big names have gone like Keith Flint and Albert Finney, just that they didn't  happen to appear on the list. 

I think it'll be a 2009 repeat with somebody of Michael Jackson level game going in the summer accompanied by a host of less famous names. 

Say what you want. I know thousands of very ill or very old people, thousands. During the last week only Agnes Varda, Ranking Roger and Joseph Pilato have died among the names I know. And fuck, there should be at least 20 deaths per week, judging how ill they are! Death is becoming duller and duller, medical science will prevail and biological immortality will be achieved in less than a century. And it will be the biggest disgrace for humanity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drol said:

Say what you want. I know thousands of very ill or very old people, thousands. During the last week only Agnes Varda, Ranking Roger and Joseph Pilato have died among the names I know. And fuck, there should be at least 20 deaths per week, judging how ill they are! Death is becoming duller and duller, medical science will prevail and biological immortality will be achieved in less than a century. And it will be the biggest disgrace for humanity.

Maybe you should fire out some of those silver spheres to speed things up. 

• Haha 1

Comparison of the current list with the 2019 Crowdsourced list

27 out of 50 Not included in Official Deathlist

3/27 are on both 2018 list and 2019 Drop 40 (Pope Benedict, Jill Gascoine & Leslie Phillips)

Another one was on the 2018 but not on the drop 40 (Olivia Newton-John)

9/27 made the drop 40 (JLT, Ricksen, Conway, Alagiah, Turnbull, Jones, Blanco, Kerslake & Ginsberg) See earlier post for comments.

That leaves 14 names to review

Dilip Kumar – Low fame but very ill

Le Duc Anh – As Former president of Vietnam has the status to be included but not a household name. Nearly 100 years old

Glynis Johns       Everyone loves Mary Poppins. Oscar nominee but her last film credit was 1999. One for the list next year?

Violeta Chamorro             Former president of Nicaragua. Justifiable pick in terms of age, health and status but not instantly recognisable

John Hume          Significant in the UK and reportedly very ill. Could easily see him on the 2020 list

Robert McCain  Has outlived her more famous son. Putting her on the list might be considered unsporting

Franco Zeffirelli                 Very famous, very old, very ill. The triple. 2020 please.

Gina Lollobrigida               Exotic, beautiful, famous, secretive, over 90 but could be a gamble

Jean of Luxembourg       Someone I only became aware of as a long lingering Deadpool pick. Not one for the main list.

I M Pei                                  World renowned architect, there is precedent with Oscar Niemeyer being a regular pick until his death

John Andretti                     I am not sure the 2020 list will be an issue for this one

Rosalynn Carter                First ladies are a staple of the list and Rosalynn should not be an exception

Sheila Mercier                   UK Soap Icon needs to be on the 2020 list

Beverly Cleary                   US Writer with little traction in the UK but is now at such an advanced age her inclusion in the Official List could be justified

• Like 2

We are 100 days into 2019 and we have 1 hit.

In 2008, the best year at this point there were 6 hits and in 2014 the worst (recent) year at this point we had two hits. In 2011 where we only had 7 his overall we were already at 4 hits at this point and in the record breaking year at this point it was only three hits. So based on this the final tally could be anywhere between 4 & 15.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

John Hume          Significant in the UK and reportedly very ill. Could easily see him on the 2020 list

His fame level outside the UK has shot through the roof over the last year, an old news interview of Hume played in the background of an episode of Derry Girls for about 5 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Two months without a hit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well I currently have this year 5 times as many hits so far than the committee in my shadow deathlist with the passings of Florence Knoll, Rex Garrod, Rosamunde Pilcher, Paul Flynn and Gordon Banks and I am definitely not one of the high flying high performing dead poolers on here! So that might be an indication so far and I stress so far how much the official deathlist is underperforming at this moment if someone like me is outperforming them!:P:D

But alas a reversal of fortune could happen very quickly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 28/03/2019 at 09:28, Arsewipe said:

Too many with a few years left in them yet on the list because they're "Too famous to miss".

I have to agree with this....but there are quite a few I have added to my list for similar reasons!

6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Well I currently have this year 5 times as many hits so far than the committee in my shadow deathlist with the passings of Florence Knoll, Rex Garrod, Rosamunde Pilcher, Paul Flynn and Gordon Banks and I am definitely not one of the high flying high performing dead poolers on here! So that might be an indication so far and I stress so far how much the official deathlist is underperforming at this moment if someone like me is outperforming them!:P:D

But alas a reversal of fortune could happen very quickly.

I am legit tied with the deathlist (i will admit I am playing with only 25, but still)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SSWDeathlistfan1996 said:

I am legit tied with the deathlist (i will admit I am playing with only 25, but still)

Will be interesting to see how the land lies closer to the end of the year. 

• Like 1

The Crowdsourced List is still on zero and the only hit on the Drop 40 is someone who would have struggled to climb the fame hurdle. I just think that Death is missing the obvious targets. If we do not have 5 hits by the end of August I will worry but we have had long droughts before.

3 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

:lol:

Something good is gonna happen

I don't know when

But saying that might even make it happen

• Like 1

Time to add Death List logo stress balls to Merchandise?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's gonna be a bit like when the thick part of the ketchup finally comes out of the bottle. All we've had so far this year is that tomato precum, but as soon as we kick into overdrive big names are gonna be falling like 1945.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

It's gonna be a bit like when the thick part of the ketchup finally comes out of the bottle. All we've had so far this year is that tomato precum, but as soon as we kick into overdrive big names are gonna be falling like 1945.

What a wonderful way you have with words and analogys! 

• Like 1

Between Day 100 (10 April) and Day 200 (19 July) in recent years the worst performance was 2011 when there was one hit. The best performance was 2015 when there were six hits. In 2014 which is the lowest at this stage there were two hits. The good news is there were hits.

12 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Between Day 100 (10 April) and Day 200 (19 July) in recent years the worst performance was 2011 when there was one hit. The best performance was 2015 when there were six hits. In 2014 which is the lowest at this stage there were two hits. The good news is there were hits.

Perhaps now Banks is up there he's such a good keeper we'll never score again?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ok, we give up.

On 03/05/2019 at 17:35, Joey Russ said:

I note that had the Deathlist went with a random old person who survives the year rather than Z lister Dai Llewelyn in 2009 it would only be one hit so far. And that list made it to 12 hits! So don’t give up too soon...

Again, I refer to this point.

• Like 1