Joey Russ

2019 DDP Salvage Lot

It’s that time of year again where we talk about who nearly didn’t make our team, and is the place we can go where we can prove that we were honest about them. So, which drops might you regret the most?

Tim Conway

John McCririck

Terry Jones

Peter Tork

Greg Gilbert

Marieke Vervoot

Julie Goodyear

I'll not mention anything just now until there's a distance between the end of the year.

You know, late obits - the next thing we know we all wake up on 3rd January to discover that Betty White, Herman Wouk and Clive James all died on 31st and nobody knows when McCririck died and we are footling around for our subs!

Dirty Dozen just out of site of my main team

Jose Jose
LeAnne Barrett
Julie Allen
Vicky Phalen
Bill Freehan
Steffan Lewis
Michael Murphy
Julie Strain*Obit concerns
Stacy Title
Samu Anoi
Greg Gilbert
Clive James

Bill Freehan and Mohamar Parrikar late cuts cuz I doubted QO.  

Olivia NJ doubted her demise.

Norm Coleman is her twin (69 Cx2) but I had better 9-pt options (read: Turnbull).

Jim Kelly only 8 points, late cut.

JL Trintignant a shite pick if not D40.  

My last team cuts: Freehan-Kelly-Lloyd Klein.  

Last cuts from short list Trintignant, Khan (not enough points), Newton-John, Clegg (not sure theyll die) and Coleman (best of the rest).

The Subs for my teams were

A team -

Isabel Peron

Kathleen Blanco

Jean Boht

B Team -

Valerie Harper

Henry Kissinger

Herman Wouk

Around the Square

Larry Lamb

Anita Dobson.

I added Bob Hawke to one of my other dead pool teams but didn't want to enter any edited in case the person I removed (who would have been younger than Hawke) also died.

Honor Blackman and Linda Nolan subs in other teams.

Won't be many being posted in here with DL cup round the corner. Just a reminder before your free with your fancy about golden ticket topplers.

Which is why I'll just reveal a few:

Tony Drewitt-Barlow –Too fringy for my liking.

Sonali Bendre – Not knowing what was up with her. Going to regret this one.

Cathy MacPhail – Allegedly recovering now after 10 months in hospital. A lock at one point.

Kate Figes – Another writer, but Stage IV breast cancer difficult to pin down.

Lloyd Klein/Beth Chapman/Walter Mzembi /Michael Murphy/Bobby Joe Maxwell- Didn’t trust them.

Julian Fiano – Obit concerns

Samu – Wrestled last month

Keith Cass/Norm Coleman/Rhys Oakley/Bill Turnbull – Will likely see 2020.

2 hours ago, msc said:

Which is why I'll just reveal a few:

Sonali Bendre – Not knowing what was up with her. Going to regret this one.  (I didn't read anything leading me to believe her death is around the corner, easy pass)

Cathy MacPhail – Allegedly recovering now after 10 months in hospital. A lock at one point. (QO question for sure, I passed)

Lloyd Klein (Had him on my roster all along until an hour before I sent in....decided he may not die.  His MOTHER otoh....)
Beth Chapman (Don't understand why you let her slide, what's 'not to trust'.....you'll regret this one.  She should be D40)
Norm Coleman (He may see 2020 as you say, but I'd like to see a poll of him v Olivia NJ, they are peas in a pod)
Bill Turnbull – Will likely see 2020 (horsepucky and balderdash.  Turnbull is actually my Klein replacement, talk about possible regrets!)

My main team "bench":

Christy Dignam
Dawn Wilson
Ian Stewart (Rugby)
Con De Lange
Kerri Parker
Bobby Joe Maxwell
Roman Reigns
Darren Easton
Kate Bowler
Thuy Thanh Truong
Bruce Anstey
Helen Legh
Pat Smullen
- SECRET -
Olivia Newton-John
Clive James
Bernard Tapie
Nobby Stiles
Sogyal Rinpoche
Norm Coleman
Charles Howeson
Noel Conway
Jordan Dawes
Pete Frates
Sumner Redstone
Marieke Vervoort

The B-Team bench:

Emma Robinson
Peter Lorimer
Abby Lee Miller
Matt Millen
Sufe Bradshaw
Lord Henry Mountcharles
Angus Sinclair
Thuingaleng Muivah
Benjamin LaGuer
Ruth Morrisey
Philomena Lynott
Anna Pavord
Andrew McDonald
Stacy Title
Mark Thornberry
Michael Murphy (killer)
Benedict XVI
David Koch
Luis Palau
Eric Caldow
Thomas Keneally
Mark Howard
Sir Owen Glenn
Beth Chapman
Audrey Rich (mom of Shirley Ballas)
Stan Bowles
Leah Bracknell
David Hagen
Harry Reid
Michael Robinson
Fred Rister

Samantha McConnell

Pedro Guerrero, Bo Xilai
Franco Zeffirelli
Prince Philip
Dilip Kumar
Carolyn Smith
Tim Conway
Richard Hadlee
Howard Finkel
Wattie Buchan
Barry DuBois
  • Thanks 1

Subs:

Samu Anao'i: Solid pick but I couldn't find room for him

Barry Du Bois: Somewhat the same, but I also feel like he could last a few years yet

John McCririck: Looks ghastly but have a feeling he's truly rebounding, he just started a column for a racing magazine so the fire in his belly might be back?

And some others who I thought about for the final weeks:

Con de Lange: Cricketer diagnosed with a brain tumor but frustratingly never gave the severity of it

Bernice McCabe: Despite being the oldest glioblastoma pick on my shortlist, seems to actually be in the best shape of that lot for now. Plus the only time so far I picked someone with glioblastoma who survived into another year, they also had the surname McCabe :ninja:

George Alagiah: Potential 11 points kept me considering him for some time but I see him as more 2020

Bruce Anstey: Thought he was fecked at time of diagnosis. But later updates suggest he's pretty much recovered, and he's looking very well in recent photos

Dewayne Lee Johnson/Vicky Phelan: Decided so many good names were about to not run any FFBI names - if I did pick a FFBI it would be one of these two due to the news coverage of their plights being far more substantial than your Mail sob stories

Julie Strain: If she were mainstream Hollywood I'd have her as a lock but not really convinced "Queen of B-Movies" will be of interest to any QO sources

Natasha England: Iko Iko singer using alternative malarkey to treat terminal breast cancer... another one of those solid picks where the room wasn't there

Nobby Stiles: I prefer not to go for more than one Alzheimer's/dementia pick. Similar to ALS... and as Fernando Ricksen was one of my first locks, all the other ALS names like Frates, Stacy Title, etc were all thrown out pretty quickly.

John Andretti: Couldn't find anything conclusive as to whether he'd linger for years or go soonish

Subs:

Mazie Hirono (U.S. Senator) - Stage 4 kidney cancer but still fully active

Jose Jose (Mexican singer) - Pancreatic cancer but conflicting information on the seriousness of his illness and not much independent info on his current condition

Nobby Stiles - Could go in 2019 or three years from now. Dementia has a wide range of prognoses

While there are others who I believe are more gravely ill than some of my picks, advanced age and obit-worthiness also play factors.

John Andretti - have no idea what the scan results turned out to be for him, which could either tell that he’s fucked or safe for a while. Knowing my luck, he’ll be fucked so those of you who picked him can thank me later

Leah Bracknell - I’m starting to have some mistrust in her. Think she is legitimately ill, but maybe not as ill as she claims

Bruce Anstey - Think the cancer is worse than expected (or if he did recover, it’ll come back aggressively), but couldn’t find enough to convince me to pick him

Jeff Blackshear, Fred Rister, Kevin McIntyre - all cut on obit concerns, though I think they are all going this year 

Dewayne Lee Johnson/Vicky Phelan - like DI, I believe there’s enough solid picks out there where you don’t have to pick them to win

Clive James - Really do think he’s on the way out, but a part of me wonders if he can see 2020

Bill Freehan - had him on my team for a while, but then I realized that someone in hospice for stroke or dementia could last a while like Bruce Langhorne. As such, another 7 pointer who probably is dying this year took his place, Edmund Capon

CJ Samson - Had him under consideration for a while. But that last times article kind of confused me a bit to the point where I wasn’t sure if he was even that great of a pick anymore 

Kerri Parker - sees 2020 imo 

Also didn’t pick Billy Clayton on seeming a bit too fringey for me, but I think I’m going to regret that decision 

Johnny clegg:Literally forgot about him until I finished my lists

Harry Reid: Same

Kathleen Blanco: Slipped through my radar some how

Bob Hawke: The Aussie thread is unreadable thanks to DJL so he fell through my radar.

• Haha 3

In the spoiler box is my one-off team Miscarriage of Popjustice (a theme team of Popjustice £20 Prize nominees):

Spoiler
  1. Greg Gilbert (Delays)
  2. Petula Clark
  3. Sarah Harding (Girls Aloud)
  4. Jessie J
  5. Andy Brown (Lawson)
  6. Tom Chaplin (Keane)
  7. Chris Wolstenholme (Muse)
  8. Clare Maguire
  9. Adam Anderson (Daggers, Hurts)
  10. Neil Tennant (Pet Shop Boys)
  11. Oritsé Williams (JLS)
  12. Michelle Heaton (Liberty X)
  13. Paul Cattermole (S Club)
  14. Will Young
  15. Will Gregory (Goldfrapp)
  16. Craig Powell (Uniting Nations)
  17. Lily Allen
  18. Mutya Buena (Sugababes)
  19. Tracey Thorn
  20. Natalia Kills (aka Verbalicious)

and these were the three substitutes for it:

21. Jo O'Meara (S Club)

22. Amelle Berrabah (Sugababes)

23. Chris Lowe (Pet Shop Boys)

The following people narrowly missed out on my two regular teams.

Unpersons (a Big Brother theme team)

Spoiler

(Last year's position is given in brackets, where applicable)

1. (14) John McCririck

2. (11) Danniella Westbrook
  3. (1) Linda Nolan
  4. (2) Jackie Stallone
  5. (6) Julie Goodyear
  6. (8) Ken Morley
  7. (re) Rebekah Shelton
  8. (5) Lionel Blair
  9. (3) Bruce Jones
  10. (9) Gary Busey
  11. (7) Ron Atkinson
  12. (new) Amanda Barrie
  13. (4) Marco Pierre White Jr
  14. (10) Lauren Harries
  15. (new) Kim Woodburn
  16. (13) Germaine Greer
  17. (new) The Situation
  18. (new) Rodrigo Alves
  19. (new) Roxanne Pallett
  20. (new) Lewis Flanagan

SUBSTITUTES:

21. Wayne Sleep

22. Kellie Maloney

23. Michael Barrymore (#15 last year)

24. Ann Widdecombe

25. Alexander O'Neal (#12 last year)

26. Daniel Baldwin

27. Chris Ellison

28. Nick Leeson

29. Paula Hamilton

30. Stephanie Davis

31. Stephen Bear

32. Carol McGiffin

33. Dirk Benedict

34. Angie Bowie

35. James Cosmo (#18 last year)

36. Lesley Brain

37. Derek Acorah

38. Paddy Doherty

39. Sophie Anderton

40. Christopher Maloney

#1 Hits (a UK #1 hitmaker theme team)

Spoiler

Last year's position is given in brackets, where applicable.

1. (2) Nobby Stiles (England World Cup Squad '70)
  2. (4) Olivia Newton-John
  3. (new) Richard Tandy (Electric Light Orchestra)
  4. (new) Peter Tork (Monkees)
  5. (5) Vera Lynn
  6. (13) Tony Baylis (Wurzels)
  7. (new) Chris Farlowe
  8. (new) Willie Nelson (USA for Africa)
  9. (new) Little Jimmy Osmond
  10. (10) Doris Day
  11. (15) Jane Morgan
  12. (new) Anita Doth (2 Unlimited)
  13. (re) Rolf Harris
  14. (7) Harry Belafonte
  15. (new) Larry Cunningham (Floaters)
  16. (new) Derrick 'Johnny' Henry (Commonwealth Band)
  17. (new) Phil Creswick (Band Aid II)
  18. (new) Windsor Davies
  19. (new) David Graham (Peter Kay's Animated All Star Band)
  20. (new) Demi Lovato

SUBSTITUTES:

21. Kenny Rogers

22. Paul Gascoigne (ENGLANDNEWORDER)

23. Pat Boone

24. Tina Turner (USA for Africa)

25. Chris Rea (Band Aid II) (#6 last year)

26. Tony Bennett

27. Gordon Banks (England World Cup Squad '70)

28. Martin Peters (England World Cup Squad '70)

29. Peter Bonetti (England World Cup Squad '70)

30. Peter MacBeth (Foundations)

31. Tommy Roe

32. J.J. Barrie

33. Ian Bairnson (Pilot)

34. Ricky Valance

35. Plas Johnson (B. Bumble and the Stingers)

36. Bernard Cribbins (Peter Kay's Animated All Star Band)

37. Bryan Abrams (Color Me Badd)

38. Sean Kingston

39. Annika 'Mary Joe' Ljungberg (Rednex)

40. Chico Slimani

Oh dear, what's wrong with Chris Lowe?

14 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Oh dear, what's wrong with Chris Lowe?

Don't worry, he's just suffering from a bad case of being the 4th oldest eligible candidate for a very narrow theme team.

There's not much to work with after Greg Gilbert. Petula Clark is the #2 pick and I'd sooner expect to see her on Strictly Come Dancing than dead this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dickey Betts of the Allman Brothers Band is one who could burn me. I came very close to picking him. Others I considered were Thad Cochran, Kathleen Blanco, Ady Barkan, Koku Istambulova, and Jon Huntsman. 

On 01/01/2019 at 10:35, Joey Russ said:

Bill Freehan - had him on my team for a while, but then I realized that someone in hospice for stroke or dementia could last a while like Bruce Langhorne. As such, another 7 pointer who probably is dying this year took his place, Edmund Capon

The first two names I threw on my piece of paper in mid Dec were Jordan Dawes and Freehan's....neither of which appear on my team.
48 hours ago Freehan was still on my team, but unlike your 'is he going to die' concerns, I began to question the QO.  So I ran some random deceased ballplayers of the past decade--about his level of success--through google etc and got nary a link.  Unless it's a terribly slow news day, or someone in the news room recalls the iconic photo of Freehan tagging Lou Brock out at the plate to basically win the 1968 World Series, he should go unnoticed.  Maybe a  NYTimes obit (which he will certainly get) could instigate a QO a few days later but I truly doubt it.  So he got cut by me.  It'll be a coup for the believers imho.

SC

5b8ed560ace1f.image.jpg

I did not pick Capon because I did not think he would obit. I did not even verify if he had a Wiki page... dammit.

Subs

Andrew McGahan - gonna punt that he doesn't get the obit, I got Heimel vibes from him. But everybody else chose him so I feel like I fucked up.

Stirling Moss - probable Drop 40er, but old people linger, I could use him elsewhere

Jill Gascoine - same as Moss

Final cuts

Michael Murphy - I think he died off the radar in late 2018, that's happened before with criminals (Raymond Hewlett, Leo Sharp).

Nanci Ryder - Year after year she's one of my final drops. Eventually she'll ''pull a Yarnall'' @msc

Ady Barkan - Despite dramatic headlines, he's still out and about campaigning, only in his 3rd year of ALS, and will live on to see the 2020 election

Pete Frates - Still too stable, might last like Gleason

John Hume - he's dying, but I had enough dementia picks

Jordan Dawes - only spread to lymph nodes so should be around for at least a couple more years

Gary Bigeni - Stats suggest he might not die, and a QO risk

John Cocks - considered him heavily until the optimistic December update

George Alagiah - more 2020

Sandy Alderson - seems grim reading between the lines, but that's not the type of folk I go for

John McCririck - seems a bit of a drama queen, and I need facts, not dramatization. But he's this year's Wetton/Mark E. Smith so congrats to those who chose him.

2018 picks dropped

Leah Bracknell/Greg Gilbert - I had them 2 years in a row and grew bored

Nobby Stiles - Time for some new dementia picks

Dilip Kumar - Immortal? Immortal. And not much points.

Marieke Vervoort - Not too bad of a pick tbh, but euthanasia entirely dependent on her mindset.

Jose Jose - Voice made him sound extremely ill in October audio clip, however he's a drama queen straight out of a telenovela!

Philomena Lynott - Too few points...

Dropped early

Bill Turnbull - not at all as ill as the press makes it sound

Doddie Weir - ''year left if I'm lucky'' ALS sufferer... he can still WALK! He'll be extremely unlucky if he dies in the next 3 years of ALS.

Norm Coleman - treatment's working.

Roman Reigns - his cancer doesn't seem too severe.

Pat Smullen - tumor operated on

Sonali Bendre - advanced cancer, but what type? Went back home to India because treatment seems to be working.

48 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

@msc

Gary Bigeni - Stats suggest he might not die, and a QO risk

The non Camilla Skovsgaard Obit makes any picker of him brave

• Like 2

There's enough distance now.

So, I'm the instinctive kind of guy, so there'll be a few names here you might know, might not.

12 Lords A-Leaving etc:

Alex Ferguson - 1st Male Sub - Bad in the brain, I still think it's possible he'll have a re-occurrence.

Ric Flair - 2nd Male Sub - Who sits down throughout their whole wedding? And boozes before tributing on the BBC? Still, he's still going and marriage might be good for him for a while.

Franco Zeffirelli - 3rd Male Sub- Age and Forum speculation got him here, but I don't know enough to put him up there.

Linda Nolan - 2nd Female Sub - Didn't qualify for my TOTP theme team, else she'd have been on it and with so many ill dames out there, didn't make it.

Nichelle Nichols - 3rd Female Sub - Again, deteriorating for ages, but not ill enough to beat out the competition.

Others considered: Hugh Rossi (former MP who just lost his missus last year); Robert Morse (Oldwillz watching an old re-run); Actor Patrick Murray (seems to have COPD, but not advanced enough, still did the Jolly Boy's Outing later); Chaz McDevitt (one of those he's still alive? picks); Bunny Wailer (of Bob Marley etc) I'm going to regret not picking him I think he's pretty far gone.

Comedy Cremations

Robert Fyfe - Sub - old and ill Summer Winer.

Richard O'Sullivan- Sub - dropped this year, looked pretty good meeting Prince Harry's missus, I may put him back on next year if he lives.

Others dropped: Jackie Mason (he's getting up there, but the gefilter fish and dumplings are good); Mel Brooks (don't want to admit he'll go); Mike Yarwood (who knows, once he hits 84 he might return to my team).

Hits of 1983:

David Paich (Toto)- Sub - seems to having issues especially with touring, edged out by Tandy of ELO for similar reasons.

Elton John - Sub - about time for another illness during his tour. One wrong move onstage and pow!

Rod Stewart - Sub - his appearance on Strictly was enough for a subs spot, not the main team. Think he had a spot of pneumonia, weak chest etc.

Others considered: Mick Foster (Foster and Allen) simply on age, still touring; Meatloaf but when I submitted my team I hadn't seen the latest pics, might be a huge miss; Larry McDonald (Monyaka) he's 81 and a drummer!!!!!! but I'm not sure he'd obit; Don Powell (Slade) might have picked him, but only one space per band this year was the rule and Jim Lea has been very ill; Dionne Warwick simply on the basis that Aretha success might have gone to my head!

On 01/01/2019 at 15:25, gcreptile said:

My main team "bench":

Sogyal Rinpoche

He's dead now, the writer of esoteric must-read "The Tibetan Book of the Dead"

https://www.lionsroar.com/buddhist-teacher-sogyal-rinpoche-dead-age-72/

I would have picked him because of liver cancer, but he died of pulmonary embolism. Could be related, or not. 

He was also under accusation of sexual abuse.

Edit for search function: Sogyal Rinpoche

2nd edit: Colon cancer, not liver - not at home, sorry.

3rd edit: the book's name is a little different, Ah well, I was on an overcrowded train.