Guest Arnold

Sir Patrick Moore

Is it me or has Sir Patrick had a bit of speech therapy?

He sounds a lot clearer these days, where at times last year, he's been vitually unintelligable...

For some reason I feel like that chap who offers to help carry Eric Idle's cross in The Life of Brian and ends up getting nailed.

Anyway, November's edition of SaN is all about gamma ray bursts. Who is not some obscure bluesman, it would appear.

And yes, SPM is presenting.

For some reason I feel like that chap who offers to help carry Eric Idle's cross in The Life of Brian and ends up getting nailed.

Is that scene intended to explain how the ressurection may have happened?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/celebritybigbr...r-celeb-bb.html

Patrick Moore to reportedly appear on Celebrity Big Brother.

"There will be medics on standby, keeping a careful eye on Patrick. He's very spry but has arthritis and needs sticks to get around. The bosses are delighted... he's a national treasure and they're banking on some great television."

For f'uck's sake, what is it with this country, I've had to put my f'ucking heating on. It's F'UCKING JULY!

For f'uck's sake, what is it with this country, I've had to put my f'ucking heating on. It's F'UCKING JULY!

What you trying to say Lardy?

You want Patrick Moore to come round and give you a warm cuddle?

Perhaps you just want to burn him on an open fire.

That should keep you warm till next summer then.

I'll tell you all - it's global warming!!!

How can it be global warming, it's f'ucking freezing! :lol:

It's 23C, 64% humidity in Glasgow.

The heating is staying well off.

Well that must be the only good thing about Glasgow.

Here, it is 13C, pissing down and windy. I'm wearing a jumper, and will need to put a coat on in a minute when I go out. A bloody coat in July, I ask you. I'm moving. I hear the weather in f'ucking Siberia is better.

How can it be global warming, it's f'ucking freezing! :referee:

Can't be! I'm just north of you in Dundee and it's absolutely pissing it down here (and its windy and cold :lol: )

When Mr Hopkins reads the last few posts he's going to blow the proverbial gasket. What is it with Patrick Moore, Deathlisters and the weather?

I bet he doesnt.

How can it be global warming, it's f'ucking freezing! :referee:

Can't be! I'm just north of you in Dundee and it's absolutely pissing it down here (and its windy and cold :lol: )

I'm just North of you in Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire and its pissing down here and very windy indeed. Its like November.

I wouldn't say Dundee is 'just north' of Glasgow, try 50 miles to the east and another 90 miles north, Glasgow is on the west coast and in the Clyde Valley, completely different weather system to the rest of Scotland (in fact completely different from the rest of Scotland full stop :referee: ), Dundee is fairly exposed to the North Sea and on the east coast, no comparison. I'm a Glaswegian born and bred, lived there for 40 years, I did spend a lot of time in Dundee when my ex was at Uni there and you cannot compare the weather. I'm now down on the south east side of Scotland where it is bitterly cold most of the year (not today l may add, but the winter coat only got retired at the end of May). Looking forward to Star Crossed berating me for posting about the weather in the PM thread :ghost3: .

Well, if it's any comfort it has also been pissing down all day here in West Berks, with liberal doses of thunder'n'lightning. Plus one small very angry terrier who wants to take on the thunder and RIP IT APART.

Luckily stopped in time for us to stroll down to the pub, which we have just left. (Rain, not dog)

3.gif

A slightly older and much wiser forum member for the perilous topography of my recent life, I no longer ask favours of the Admins here, or anywhere. However... if they were to snip the needless meteorological discussion from LB's post to this post inclusive, I cwertainly would not complain. Cwertainly not. Nor would the Tdonkleys.

In the beginning Grim Reaper created the forum and the threads.

And the threads were without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the archives. And the Spirit of Grim Reaper moved upon the face of the 2009 Names Forum.

And Grim Reaper said, Let there be a Patrick Moore thread; and there was a Patrick Moore thread.

And Grim Reaper saw the thread, that it was good; and Grim Reaper divided the thread from the others.

And Grim Reaper called the thread 42. Patrick Moore; and the darkness he called The Sky At Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. Of the Patrick Moore thread.

And Hopkins surveyed the thread; and saw that the thread had been defiled.

And Hopkins smiled at those who degraded the thread; and He forgave them.

And Hopkins knew of Sir Patrick Moore's Heaven and Hell; and He spread the word.

And Hopkins saw that the word was good; and that the thread was strong.

A slightly older and much wiser forum member for the perilous topography of my recent life, I no longer ask favours of the Admins here, or anywhere. However... if they were to snip the needless meteorological discussion from LB's post to this post inclusive, I cwertainly would not complain. Cwertainly not. Nor would the Tdonkleys.

In the beginning Grim Reaper created the forum and the threads.

And the threads were without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the archives. And the Spirit of Grim Reaper moved upon the face of the 2009 Names Forum.

And Grim Reaper said, Let there be a Patrick Moore thread; and there was a Patrick Moore thread.

And Grim Reaper saw the thread, that it was good; and Grim Reaper divided the thread from the others.

And Grim Reaper called the thread 42. Patrick Moore; and the darkness he called The Sky At Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. Of the Patrick Moore thread.

And Hopkins surveyed the thread; and saw that the thread had been defiled.

And Hopkins smiled at those who degraded the thread; and He forgave them.

And Hopkins knew of Sir Patrick Moore's Heaven and Hell; and He spread the word.

And Hopkins saw that the word was good; and that the thread was strong.

But a miserable git, all the same.

Welcome back SC. :ghost3:

The August 2009 episode focuses on Saturn, with the inevitable outgushings of boffinthusiasm for Enceladus, one of its moons.

No mention of Saturn could omit a thorough discussion of its rings, including here a brief discussion of moonlets such as Pan and Daphnis, which appear to cause graivational perturbations at the edge of the A-Ring (insert Uranus joke here). They also discussed the recent solar eclipse, a damp squib of monumental proportion for anyone not in a plane.

Sir Patrick, thankfully, hasn't shown any sign of deterioration in health this year. He did rue his inability to go chasing next year's eclipse, saying "sadly, my travelling days are over" but hey, we knew that already...

By Jove, next month's episode will focus on Jupiter!

In September's episode, "Jupiter Rising", Sir Patrick discussed Uranus. Sorry, my mistake, Jupiter.

Our perennial host invited a veritable gaggle of fawning astronobitches to his Selsey lair tonight. John Rogers and David Rothery were in the study, with the lead pipe, discussing all things Jovian; in the back garden now-regular telescopist and long-time photographic contributor to the show, Pete Lawrence, compared imaging techniques with a new face (hopefully not a new regular), the deeply irritating Paul "here's one I did with crayons" Abel.

My tip for the comfy chair Dr. Chris Lintott (looking like he's been kept awake for a week researching this stuff on the internet) saved the day by giving us a roundup of the latest astronomy news.

Sir Patrick was in fine fettle, treating us to a classic "remove monocle, wink to camera" quip about cloud cover.

Next month it's all about the spaceborne telescopes. Word is bond.