Guest Arnold

Sir Patrick Moore

I don't know if this piece of trivia is common knowledge in the UK but "He [sir Patrick] believed he was the only person to have met Orville Wright, the first man to fly; Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space and Neil Armstrong, the first man on the Moon."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-10/british-astronomer-patrick-moore-dies-aged-89/4417624

You have to stand very firm in your shoes to correct Sir Patrick Moore, but I just have to.

The first man to fly a powered machine is Wilbur Wright, not Orville.

RIP Sir Patrick. A titan of broadcasting and an inspiration to many. It's a shame he never got to drink that glass of moon water. There is another star in the firmament tonight...

NASA tweeted this

"Welcome to the stars, Sir Patrick. We shall enjoy the ride together. :'( "

As somene who'd never heard of Patrick Moore before visiting this forum, I must say, he sounded like a conplete bigoted arsehole. Not one to be missed imho.

I wonder if the BBC will stop making the sky at night or continue it with a new host ?

Put your money on Brian May...

Has May ever actually presented anything, and would he be able to find the time to record it every month? If anyone's the favourite it surely has to be Dr. Brian Cox

Bring back Heather Couper

Sky at Night is certain to continue, apart from anything else the BBC is jealous if its unbroken run since the fifties. One minor bit of fall-out from Sir Patrick's death may be that there will finally be some admission of his role in the infamous Cedric Alllingham hoax whereby a book was produced by aman who claimed to have met a Martian. Flying Saucer From Mars is a solid spoof of the second part of the best-selling Flying Saucers Have Landed. Awesome gag, Patrick should take his posthumous credit for his share of the work.

Annoying stuff but there's not too much evidence he's in immediate danger. Good call from those deciding to leave him OFF this year, IMHO.

This sentence generates an invisible air of smugness!

NASA tweeted this

"Welcome to the stars, Sir Patrick. We shall enjoy the ride together. :'( "

I saw that and got quite teary.

It was a bloody disgrace that NASAVoyager2 then had to announce, "to clarify, I was referring to Sir Patrick Moore not Sir Patrick Stewart" <_<

Extreme weather conditions for the U.K would be a fitting marker of his passing.

• Like 1

Sad news.

Nice to see Star Crossed back though.

Every cloud and all that...

No more Mr Night Sky.

Great pun. Wish I'd used it meself...

RIP Sir Patrick. A titan of broadcasting and an inspiration to many. It's a shame he never got to drink that glass of moon water. There is another star in the firmament tonight...

Especially for Star Crossed and Toast, the final Pat-presented The Sky at Night synopsis, Reaching for the Stars, to be shown in early January:

For more than half a century Sir Patrick Moore encouraged people to look up at the wonders of the night skies. Fittingly in this programme, recorded just before his death, he and his team offer advice to those who are discovering astronomy for the very first time. How should they set up their new telescopes and what should they seek out in the winter skies as they begin to share Sir Patrick's lifelong passion for the stars?

As for his successor, I'd have thought they'd promote Chris Lintott from the boot room rather than bring in a high-profile foreign manager like either of the Brians.

• Like 1

Patrick Moore is dead at 89. It could have been 82 or 84, maybe 74. No. How about 65 or 68? No wait .. he died in the 1950's. There never was a Sky At Night but somehow there was. He was an eccentric star gazer who peered into the heavens and spoke volumes to the masses. Patrick's "moment" was very rare; he was a mythical person from a dimension that has long vanished but somehow he remained. I have never watched the Sky At Night but the question I have is: Did SC understand him? SC should become visible every now and then .. frighten some of the new members with his laws.

What will become of Ptolemy?

He will be the purr-fect presenter for next months show...

Guest Guest

Are we allowed to include the death of tv shows on here,because tonight is the last ever sunday night edition of The Sky at Night after 57 years.Great tribute to Patrick Moore on the first anniversary of his death.Thanks BBC!

:scratchhead: Last ever...of 2013. It's due back next year.

The whole eclipse thing got me thinking of this fella. I'm thinking "Patrick Moore's arse" might be a good nickname for the sky. Y'know since it's the only other thing that's so big and white

• Like 1

I had hoped to watch the eclipse from home, but no luck: clouded out. Again, I should add. In 1999 I went to France to watch the total eclipse, that one was also spoiled by cloud cover where I was.

Just missed out here. Half an hour later and the clouds were gone. Annoying.

If you missed the eclipse, here's a trick from an old Blue Peter, cut a piece of circular cardboard 5ft in diameter, cover it in sticky backed plastic, get some friends to stand on a ladder 50ft away and slowly slide it in front of the sun. Don't forget to use a safety glass and be safe out there kiddies.

GET DOWN Shep!

I'll get my coat.

• Like 1

Just missed out here. Half an hour later and the clouds were gone. Annoying.

I see faint shadows on the buildings across the road now. Crappy job, met office!