Guest Arnold

Sir Patrick Moore

Guest Arnold

He will be 81 next march and is in very frail health. He's just published his autobiography in which he reveals that he doesn't expect to live much longer and has organised his wake and prepared a (very witty) post-death taped funeral speech to his friends. He can no longer walk without the aid of two sticks and says his body has started shutting down. A decent bet?

Good information on Britains friendliest sky-watching rascist Arnold

Not much information on around on him at the moment but Moore hasnt appeared on the list since 1995 so its about time he returned.

Guest Arnold

A very creditable list from the committee and congratulations upon a bumper 2003. But I fear there may be regrets upon the exclusion of Patrick Moore.

Guest Arnold

Old Patrick has even predicted his own demise and written and tape recorded his own funeral address, to be played at his wake. (It's brilliantly funny as it happens). However...let's hope he limps on through the year and gives us an early croak in 2005.

OK - I'll obviously have to carry a fair portion of the responsibility for the Patrick Moore omission - but Stats you did have a chance to check my workings before the end of the year - although I agree it was a rather brief period.

Of course if Moore makes it through the year then I'll have to accept all of the praise!

Reaper

Guest Guest

What's wrong with Patrick Moore?

Guest Arnold

Dear Guest.

Old age and sudden and dramatic deterioration in health seems to cover it. Patrick Moore has just published his autobiography and in it he says that he feels as though he hasn't got long to live and that his body is "shutting down". He now cannot walk without the aid of two sticks and has even written and recorded his own speech, to be played back at his funeral wake. He has set aside a lump sum in his will to cover the costs of the bash. He says his decline in health has been rapid and he does not expect to be here much longer. It sounds like heart failure.

Seeing as I only joined ten minutes ago, the following Deathlist suggestions may be old friends to the regulars, but see what you think.

Frank Carson - Couldn't go on Get Me Outta Here due to health probs - not sure what the probs were, can anyone enlighten me?

Michael Barrymore - This bloke has got to be on the edge - only plastic spoons at dinner these days I reckon.

Patrick Moore - If he pulls his trousers up any higher it could be strangulation by belt. Why do old men pull their trews up past their nipples?

Alex Ferguson - unless he packs in Man. Utd. He hasn't looked well for a few years now.

Death Watch Beatle

I have just spoken to a friend who knows Patrick Moore. The main health problem he has seems to concern his spine, which in turn has affected the use of his hands - this means he can't hold a telescope, write music or play that xylophone thing (not all bad news then). This makes Patrick a miserable chap 'cause he can't do what he likes doing - but the general outlook for him isn't too bad considering age etc., so perhaps not the banker for 2004 we all anticipated.

DWB

Well as we all know Im counting on Patrick to see the year out - still I will miss his Xylophone!

Dear Beatle (Any one?)

Please please please don't mention Patrick Moore. It upsets Grim Reaper.

I'll write the others down but we're only in January

Mr Stats

Guest bob

Loveable though he is, that eccentric, xylophone playing astronomer / TV presenter can no longer be understood - his words slurring into a mumbled, indecipherable series of elderly grunts and exclamations.

For what it's worth, I do actually know someone who is a good friend of Patrick Moore. This is what I wrote in January which I think still stands.

I have just spoken to a friend who knows Patrick Moore. The main health problem he has seems to concern his spine, which in turn has affected the use of his hands - this means he can't hold a telescope, write music or play that xylophone thing (not all bad news then). This makes Patrick a miserable chap 'cause he can't do what he likes doing - but the general outlook for him isn't too bad considering age etc., so perhaps not the banker for 2004 we all anticipated.

You never know though - the old duffer could go and do something daft, like stop breathing!

DWB ;)

Guest Cotters

Does anyone know where I can find a good image of Patrick Moore and his trousers from a recent Sky at Night program? It was one about Dark Matter which meant Patrick had to go down a coal mine(The detectors have to be shielded from cosmic rays if you interested). However the image of Sir Patrick was extraordinary. It was enough that he was wearing a red miner's helmet and monacle but then I noticed the trousers. At first I thought it was a three piece suit but ended up goggling at the TV when I realised that the horizontal nature of the cut meant it had to be his waist band.

I've become somewhat obsessed by this. A friend has come up with a name for this trousers - nipsters as oppose to hipsters.

Never trust a man who is obsessed with Patrick Moore's trousers.....

Does this thread also contain the last known sighting of the artist known as Mr Stats?

Just saw Patrick Moore on TV following the transit of venus - he looked in fine health and more importantly his trousers appeared to be in order.

I reckon good ol' Patrick is gonna do me a favour and see the year out :lol:

You may have to eat your words Mr. GR ... Ol' Paddy didn't present tonight's The Sky At Night. That is something like only the second time in, what, 30 years ? :pop:

The omens aren't good, and Marlon might not be your biggest miss ...

Now if only they could find new presenters to take his place who don't seem to have had a charisma bypass. God, they're awful ... remind me of some of post grads at uni. :pop:

[The exception being tonight's Prof. Zarnecki, who was one of my lecturers at uni !]

I didnt see that Sky at Night last night.

Yes it is a rare event for him to miss it.

I saw him at the theatre last year and he announced that this year 2004 would be his farewell tour.

But as yet there are no dates confirmed.

I hope he carries on for a long time yet. You just dont see characters like him these days.

Why not replace him with the bird from Wild About Britain. You know, the one that Bill Oddie always talks over and clearly resents having to share his show with. Or get Ben Fogle, if he hasn't got his head up a giraffe.

No no they wont do.

What do they know about the night sky.

There is no ideal replacement.

Maybe that Heather bird he has on the program sometimes.

You have got to have someone who knows what they are talking about.

Salmonella from an egg? Someone needs to tell Sir Patrick you're supposed to cook them first!

According to teletext (bbc) he's still in hospital, but recovering ! I fancied a point from this one....damn..