Guest Arnold

Sir Patrick Moore

phenomenae

It's such a shame you can't spell.

regards,

Hein (Member, DL Pedantry Squad)

How dare you people post such horrible tripe on this site.

Sir Patrick Moore has done his best to advance the understanding among the public of our Universe and its astounding phenomenae.

He is also, although he doesn't talk about it much, a war hero; one of his current problems is an old injury sustained when he was in the RAF.

He has always been a good sport, even when it meant taking part in tv shows which were satirical about him.

He is a sensitive and highly intelligent man and you have no right to attack him on this site.

- David J Cook FRAS

Space and Astronautics News

http://www.space.gs

I think you'll find, Mr. Cook, IF you bothered to read this thread, that the vast majority of site members have huge respect for Patrick Moore and his contribution to furthering the popularity of astronomy.

This site is (largely, see notable exceptions such as Margaret Thatcher, whom most of us would dearly love to see expire) dedicated to the statistical probability of a celebrity dying within the calendar year, not some sort of wishlist for the death of celebrities we hate.

As you intimated yourself, Mr Moore is more than intelligent enough to see this site for what it is and to take any fun-poking in the spirit in which it is intended. I can't think that any of our members would wish to play down, "attack" or denigrate Patrick's achievements, whether it be in the field of astronomy or elsewhere.

Furthermore, Mr. Moore has himself alluded openly to the fact that he feels he is dying at an increasingly rapid rate. This admission, combined with the physical ailments he suffers, make him a candidate for the Deathlist 2006. People die, Mr. Cook. Nobody likes it, but it's inevitable. You may find our site ghoulish, but we don't see anything wrong with the Deathlist as an intellectual exercise.

Please remember, in addition, that many of our readers may not have known much about Patrick or his work before encountering this thread; I know I have learned a great deal about a number of people whose lives had previously been a complete mystery to me. The educational benefits of Deathlist are what many members find compelling.

I, for one, would love to see him outlast the year, especially as I look forward to the 50th anniversary of The Sky At Night in 2007. Patrick Moore is a living legend, especially in Britain; many, many people would be sad to see him go.

The team who pick the 50 celebs for the Deathlist, however, do not believe that he is statistically capable of lasting that long; he is, therefore, included on this year's list.

I hope you read this, Mr. Cook, and accept that our intentions are not as malign as you first thought.

Yours,

Star Crossed

I reckon there's NO need to justify anything to anyone on this website. It's brilliant!

I will miss the London planetarium though...Got a handjob there in 1975! Long live staring up at the roof!!!

Just watched the latest instalment of The Sky At Night. It concentrated on the research objectives of the many observatories on Mauna Kea, Hawaii. It was so exciting, I nearly soiled my Kecks.

Sir Patrick looked and sounded in fine fettle, even sliding in a quip about the inactive ("well, we hope so, anyway!") volcano that is Mauna Kea. He stayed at home to grill the local boffins whilst his protégé, Chris Lintoft, got to do the glamourous stuff, partying all night on Hawaii with the hardcore telescope geeks.

Guest iain

Im gutted that I fell asleep and missed last nights programme,and Telewest dont seem to be showing it on their teleport service B) .The BBC announcer made it sound klike Sir Patrick was travelling to Hawaii himself ,which I was very doubtful about,but it sounds like he stayed at home so theres been no miraculous improvement in his physical condition after all.Like I said before ,I think theres enough life in him to see it past the 50th anniversary of Sky at Night next april.(thats april,2007)

Guest iain
He was also on the radio talking about the Planetarium and he sounded very confused. Maybe the TV let him have a few "takes" to get it right but he was mumbling about lottery money being given to gays......quote from the BBC website

"I have already had inquiries from people asking if they can't go to the London Planetarium, where can they go," Mr Moore said.

Mmmmmmmmmm any ideas where to go in London?

Do you happen to know if I can listen to this interview on the net somewhere?

Guest gazwaz

hi fellas, i recently had patrick sign a few bits and pieces and he seemed quite alive and well...although on paper, given his medical record and sheer mass, he should be even higher on your list.

gr8 site

He was also on the radio talking about the Planetarium and he sounded very confused. Maybe the TV let him have a few "takes" to get it right but he was mumbling about lottery money being given to gays......quote from the BBC website

"I have already had inquiries from people asking if they can't go to the London Planetarium, where can they go," Mr Moore said.

Mmmmmmmmmm any ideas where to go in London?

Do you happen to know if I can listen to this interview on the net somewhere?

iain, listening to a recording of a Patrick Moore interview on the net would be the equivalent of watching ball-by-ball cricket updates on teletext.

Or listening to golf on the radio.

He is also, although he doesn't talk about it much, a war hero; one of his current problems is an old injury sustained when he was in the RAF.

Since the West Cumberland Times never saw fit to cover this, can someone enlighten me as to which bit of Patrick was damaged by the Germans?

Since the West Cumberland Times never saw fit to cover this, can someone enlighten me as to which bit of Patrick was damaged by the Germans?

This Telegraph article with Patrick Moore, talks about his wartime injury.

From the same article:

In the past Sir Patrick has dismissed reports of alien spaceships as "airborne crockery" - but he believes he may once have seen flying saucers.

"At least I saw what looked like flying saucers from my dome. They came towards me, veered off and then disappeared. I don't know what they were."

Thanks for the link. Patrick has long been suspected to be the author of Flying Saucer From Mars, a ridiculous first hand account of the meeting with an alien and a book that did its bit to make flying saucers a national joke. I've never heard the claim above before.

Guest iain

ive just seen an advance screening of th is months Sky at Night on BBC4 and Im sad to have to report that there is a marked deterioration in Sir patricks condition.He is struggling for breath and hardly able to speak,coughing and spluttering a lot( could be early stages of pneumonia).and unable to move at all hardly.There is discoloration around his eyes a sif he mnay be suffering from jaundice or something.I had tears in my eyes as he said goodbye at the end of the show and wished the Sky at Night team good luck for next months show with Chris Lintott, at the solar eclipse event almost as if he suspected he might not be around by then.He is a vbery sad sight Im afraid.I fear he may not be with us for very much longer :o

A belated happy 83rd birthday to him .We can only hope and pray it was not his last.

ive just seen an advance screening of th is months Sky at Night on BBC4 and Im sad to have to report that there is a marked deterioration in Sir patricks condition.He is struggling for breath and hardly able to speak,coughing and spluttering a lot( could be early stages of pneumonia).and unable to move at all hardly.There is discoloration around his eyes a sif he mnay be suffering from jaundice or something.He is a vbery sad sight Im afraid.I fear he may not be with us for very much longer :o

A belated happy 83rd birthday to him .We can only hope and pray it was not his last.

I too hope that he makes it to 50 years of broadcasting his programme! Happy birthday Sir Patrick!

ive just seen an advance screening of th is months Sky at Night on BBC4 and Im sad to have to report that there is a marked deterioration in Sir patricks condition.He is struggling for breath and hardly able to speak,coughing and spluttering a lot( could be early stages of pneumonia).and unable to move at all hardly.There is discoloration around his eyes a sif he mnay be suffering from jaundice or something.He is a vbery sad sight Im afraid.I fear he may not be with us for very much longer :o

I too hope that he makes it to 50 years of broadcasting his programme! Happy birthday Sir Patrick!

I don't know what to hope in this matter. But the stars are beautiful. I've always loved them.

Nothing like stars and stars of summer.

And best of all - I think for me the stars are beaming different now. ;)

Guest iain

BREAKING NEWS...........SIR PATRICK MOORE 'RUSHED' INTO HOSPITAL THIS MORNING....NO MORE DETAILS AT PRESENT...looks like this could be it folks..no 3 coming up :lol:

BREAKING NEWS...........SIR PATRICK MOORE 'RUSHED' INTO HOSPITAL THIS MORNING....NO MORE DETAILS AT PRESENT...looks like this could be it folks..no 3 coming up :lol:

Link here

Guest iain

some more details....he has severe heart problems. and may have pneumonia ....things do not sound good at this point..will keep an eye on developments throughoout the day

doctors are reported to have said that hes 'still fighting' whatever that means :lol:

I'm praying for his soul......... to rapidly depart his body, as he's on my DDP list. :lol:

some more details....he has severe heart problems. and may have pneumonia ....things do not sound good at this point..will keep an eye on developments throughoout the day

doctors are reported to have said that hes 'still fighting' whatever that means :lol:

Link?

All I can find is the one link, which Lady Die posted. Nothing about severe problems, pneumonia or fighting.

So either you're making this up to sound more dramatic or you've found a link which no-one else can find, so could you post it please.

According to this old link he had a pacemaker fitted 6 years ago.

Okay, the agent would talk it up because he gets paid when Patrick works but according to today's report we've got a bit of a wait on our hands:

Pacemaker for Sir Patrick Moore

Stargazer Sir Patrick Moore is a self-taught musician and composer

Astronomer Sir Patrick Moore, host of The Sky at Night, is to be fitted with a pace-maker after suffering heart problems, his agent said.

The 83-year-old was admitted to St Richard's Hospital in Chichester, West Sussex, on Tuesday.

His agent, Robert Voice, said Sir Patrick will have a pacemaker fitted on Thursday in routine operation.

"There's nothing to be concerned about, it wasn't an emergency," said Mr Voice, adding Sir Patrick was in "good form".

Astronomer Sir Patrick Moore, host of The Sky at Night, is to be fitted with a pace-maker after suffering heart problems, his agent said.

The 83-year-old was admitted to St Richard's Hospital in Chichester, West Sussex, on Tuesday.

His agent, Robert Voice, said Sir Patrick will have a pacemaker fitted on Thursday in routine operation.

"There's nothing to be concerned about, it wasn't an emergency," said Mr Voice, adding Sir Patrick was in "good form".

Thank you, MPFC.

Well, Iain? I'm still waiting for your link to prove your statements.

It seems that Sir Patrick is very much a fighter, I think he still has a couple of years left in him

He does seem to be slowly falling apart, any kind of surgery at that age carries an increased risk.

I for one would be sad to see him go before his 50th anniversary show.

Guest iain

Ik being told that despite what his agent says that Sir Patrick is gravely ill.We will see what the truth is in coming days i suppose