Guest Arnold

Sir Patrick Moore

His voice has taken on a monodiction over the last few years, his rapid speech remains with a little slurring round the edges but the biggest change if you compare him with the sixties and seventies is the way his breathing is more obvious. Clearly, he's not exactly a small man and each breath is gathering oxygen to feed twenty odd stone of sedentary mass but his poorer diction of late also suggests his muscles are weakening and - perhaps - his mind is as razor sharp as it was.

I promise you that i spoke to Patrick not 24 hours ago and he is in excellent shape.Yes he is sluring his words a bit more but if you look closely of late he has been wearing some new massive dentures which i assume are his spair set while he gets his nice little ones fixed or something.

i cannot reveal why i call my-self borleyrectory but those who know a bit about the place (as it seems you do) will know what i mean when i say i am related to the grey monk!!!!!!! :birthday:

Borley, could you - perhaps - answer one question is your rapid fire posting complete with manic sentences and sometimes gratuitous use of caps a deliberate style? I was assuming you are possessed by many spirits, like your namesake. Or - like - do you always write like that?

Borley, could you - perhaps - answer one question is your rapid fire posting complete with manic sentences and sometimes gratuitous use of caps a deliberate style? I was assuming you are possessed by many spirits, like your namesake. Or - like - do you always write like that?

I have noticed that Borley is often online at the same time as one of our more illustrious members.. :birthday:

yes you guessed it.i am patrick! how the devil are you my fellow stargazers.hope you dont mind me playing a silly little game but its a bit lonely what with me up in my loft staring through high powered bino's at windo...er i mean stars! yes yes thats right stars (please add an incoherant mumble after every word)

ROD......RODNEY......RODNEY HULL!!!!!! I AM COMMING!!!!!!! :D

That was two days ago Borley, are you there yet?

Not sure where to post this, so here will do. Pluto has outrageously been stripped of it's status as a planet.

I shall be contacting my MP about this. :rolleyes:

I wonder if they'll do an interview with Venetia Phair to find out how she feels about it

Not sure where to post this, so here will do. Pluto has outrageously been stripped of it's status as a planet.

Apparently Patrick aggrees with it., so I'd say this is a good place to post about it.

Much as I respect and admire Patrick Moore, I totally disagree with his assessment of Pluto. I feel very strongly about this, although I'm not quite sure why.

I think Pluto should fall out of the sun's orbit in protest.

Where is all this going to end - Jupiter?

Apparently Patrick aggrees with it., so I'd say this is a good place to post about it.

Much as I respect and admire Patrick Moore, I totally disagree with his assessment of Pluto. I feel very strongly about this, although I'm not quite sure why.

Isn't Mercury about the same size as Pluto? if that's the case then Mercury should be struck off the list

Isn't Mercury about the same size as Pluto? if that's the case then Mercury should be struck off the list

Mercury - 4879.4 km

Pluto - 2306±20 km

So Pluto is about half the size. Plus it's not about size (or at least entirely about size), it's also about proximity to the sun and other considerations.

According to Wikipedia, which I'll trust as a fairly faithful summary of the decision:

This definition demotes Pluto from a planet to a dwarf planet because it has not cleared the neighbourhood of its orbit.

I'll have someone more astronomically inclined explained that, as I'm likely to get it wrong.

I wonder if they'll do an interview with Venetia Phair to find out how she feels about it

Seems to me astronomers should be taken as seriously as astrologers from now on. First of all, they had to have an 11 year old come up with the name "Pluto", which you'd have thought wouldn't have been that difficult to name right when they first spotted it, given all the others had been named for Roman gods, so why didn't someone, like, just go through a list of gods and pick one. Then, for 75 years they insist to everyone, "there are nine planets", so if you were ever at a pub quiz, and the question was, "how many planets are there?" and you said "eight" and got it wrong, turns out you'd have been right all along. And you gotta love the scientific voting method - a mass show of yellow cards, like it was a Portugal v Holland match or something.

Mercury - 4879.4 km

Pluto - 2306±20 km

So Pluto is about half the size. Plus it's not about size (or at least entirely about size), it's also about proximity to the sun and other considerations.

According to Wikipedia, which I'll trust as a fairly faithful summary of the decision:

This definition demotes Pluto from a planet to a dwarf planet because it has not cleared the neighbourhood of its orbit.

I'll have someone more astronomically inclined explained that, as I'm likely to get it wrong.

OK then, I'll have a pop. [monocle] Where Pluto's orbit is so far removed from the norm, it crosses Neptune's regular elliptical orbit and follows a weird path. This is in part due to the gas giants (Jupiter Saturn Uranus & Neptune) having quite a large effect on its orbit, making it almost turn corners at times. This is the 'not clearing the neighbourhood of its orbit' as described above.

Indeed, for a few years (no idea how many, about 20-ish?) up until 1999 Neptune was further away from the Sun than Pluto. The dirty bitch.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I think the above's right.

Tune on the glockenspeil anyone? [/monocle]

I'm just waiting for the Daily Mail to blame the loss of this planet on lax immigration policies or the demise of the British Empire.

Mercury - 4879.4 km

Pluto - 2306±20 km

OK then, I'll have a pop. [monocle] Where Pluto's orbit is so far removed from the norm, it crosses Neptune's regular elliptical orbit and follows a weird path. This is in part due to the gas giants (Jupiter Saturn Uranus & Neptune) having quite a large effect on its orbit, making it almost turn corners at times. This is the 'not clearing the neighbourhood of its orbit' as described above.

Indeed, for a few years (no idea how many, about 20-ish?) up until 1999 Neptune was further away from the Sun than Pluto. The dirty bitch.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I think the above's right.

Tune on the glockenspeil anyone? [/monocle]

I'm just waiting for the Daily Mail to blame the loss of this planet on lax immigration policies or the demise of the British Empire.

But Pluto can't help having bigger neighbours. If it wants to go around the sun in a slightly wonky fashion, thus avoiding getting sucked in to the vortex of Neptune, then why not?

I hope that the The Convention Of The International Astronomical Union Of Pluto Haters is hit by an unforecast meteorite tonight.

I understand that Pluto is now to be described as a "dwarf planet". This to me seems like saying that a dwarf human is not in fact a human at all, because s/he doesn't measure up to the size of normal humans and is therefore a totally seperate species. In fact, if you took that argument to it's logical conclusion, then surely Saturn and Jupiter should be expelled from the list of planets due to their largeness.

I'm going to stop ranting now because I have no idea what I am talking about. But this is an outrage. A bloody outrage.

Couldn't agree more, DDT.

Have we really wasted years learning the names of the planets only for some committee, nay, quango I say, to unilaterally decide that we're naught but fools and buffoons. Why, these starry-gazy popinjays must take us all for ownshooks with their impertinant flim-flammery.

To the castle, stout yeomen, and don't forget the blazing torches. Burn the heathen, with their scientrickery. Burn them I say.

Have we really wasted years learning the names of the planets...

We?, it certainly didn't take me years to learn the names of the planets.

Maybe you're a trifle retarded, or even a retarded trifle.

Have we really wasted years learning the names of the planets...

We?, it certainly didn't take me years to learn the names of the planets.

Maybe you're a trifle retarded, or even a retarded trifle.

Surely he can't walk the dog this time. Tempus for criticizing at such a explosive manor you deserve to be in a verbal war. Not that your challenge is unnecessary.

If we'd gone the other way and admitted every sizeable bit of rock within several million miles of Pluto it would have taken bloody ages to remember the names of planets. Might have made it harder than reeling off all fifty DL candidates at any one time.

In my physics class, we watched some terribly boring video about catching neutrinos (which are supposed to move so fast, and be so small that they pass through entire planets without causing any reactions.) and Patrick Moore presented it I think. Now, I have a feeling someone will go and do some research on it, and find the video wasn't that old, but I seem to remember it being from the 70s or maybe early 80s, and let me just say, Patrick Moore really hasn't changed a lot since then. He still looks like an old fart. I wouldn't be surpised if he kept on living just to see another awesome comet or something. But I've just been reading this thread about his health being in decline. Maybe he will be number 8?

In my physics class, we watched some terribly boring video about catching neutrinos (which are supposed to move so fast, and be so small that they pass through entire planets without causing any reactions.) and Patrick Moore presented it I think. Now, I have a feeling someone will go and do some research on it, and find the video wasn't that old, but I seem to remember it being from the 70s or maybe early 80s, and let me just say, Patrick Moore really hasn't changed a lot since then. He still looks like an old fart. I wouldn't be surpised if he kept on living just to see another awesome comet or something. But I've just been reading this thread about his health being in decline. Maybe he will be number 8?

After a bit of googling I think it was probably a 1983 episode of The Sky at Night. Patrick is one of those people who have looked pretty much the same for the last 20 years. I hope he makes it to the 50th anniversary of The Sky At Night, if he does he should get a peerage before he dies, Lord Moore of Selsey.

He's on again tonight, I feel a mass DL tune in comin' on followed by a few comments studying his current form.

As of last night, he looked like he'll live another month.

Mans like Sir Patrick Moore 'im lookin' fly an' ting tonight, a'ight bruv? Him be checkin' out da moon an' ting. Him be needin' some Head an' Shoulders, an' 'is lyrical flow be a bit slurred, but apart from that 'im lookin' wicked. Bo!

Chris Lintott, protege-man's him lookin' well sinister in the garden, checking out Patricks' 15-incher.

Sir Patrick's parting shot tonight, re: the moon;

It's a wonderful world. And you know, there's still so much about it that we just don't know.